Sixteen

I'll Be There

Youngjae was sitting at the park, crying. He would have never guessed what his mother was going to say, not in a million years. How was this possible, how could his life be this messed up.

“I’m sorry,” Youngjae sobbed into his knees. He was lying on a bench curled up into a ball crying his eyes out, making up for the times he missed doing so many years back when his brother had died, a brother he didn’t even know he had.  “I’m sorry,” he said now thinking about Jackson because this involved him so much and that is what probably hurt the most.

It took Youngjae an hour to compose himself and get off that cold bench and go home, the school trip was tomorrow and he had to be up early to catch the school bus taking them up to the mountains. Still he didn’t want to go home, he couldn’t possibly face his mother at the moment; Youngjae couldn’t look at her right now, not after what she had kept from him for so long.

Slowly Youngjae took one step at a time and he was on his way home. It was dark and cold outside and he wasn’t sure what time it was so he reached in his pocket for his phone and that is when he saw it was off. He quickly turned it on and saw he had over thirty missed calls from his mother, Jinyoung, Mark and Jackson all combined. He also had some voice mails asking him to pick the phone and call back. He was in no mood to talk to anyone at the moment so he erased them all and kept on his slow stride home.

 

When Youngjae entered his house, his mother was there like always waiting for him by the stairs. She got up as Youngjae closed the door and locked it for extra measure.

“Youngjae,” Mrs. Choi said stepping closer to him but she stopped when she saw the hurt and anger mixed in his eyes. “Are you okay?” she whispered, tone evident that she had been crying. Youngjae ignored her and walked over to the kitchen to get a water bottle, Mrs. Choi followed after him. “Youngjae…”

“I don’t want to see your face right now,” Youngjae said and he moved past her and up the stairs to his room where he locked himself up for the night. There were a thousand thoughts going through his head and it kept him awake for the majority of the night; there was one thought clear in Youngjae’s head before he knocked out in bed, he had to stop seeing Jackson.


Students were all over the place getting into their group of friends and talking of the things they would do when they finally got there. Jinyoung and Mark were worriedly waiting for Youngjae to show up, if he even did decided to come after all. Jackson was nowhere to be seen either but Mark had sent him a message and Jackson had promised him that he was simply running a bit late. Jinyoung on the other hand had tried multiple times to get in touch with Youngjae since last night but he was still getting no response from him and he was really starting to freak out. After what had happened with Youngjae and his mother the night before, Jinyoung guessed that it must have been something very important and huge that it had Youngjae ignoring everyone like that.

The buses began loading the students in and there were only ten minutes left before the buses departed. Jackson appeared out of nowhere with his bag; he had to make sure he had all the necessities.

“Guys!” Jackson shouted to Jinyoung and Mark who were already making line to board the bus. They stepped out of the line even though they were almost at the door to meet Jackson.

“Hey, have you heard from Youngjae?” Jinyoung asked Jackson helping him with his bag.

“No, I tried calling him this morning as well, but no answer,” said Jackson a bit depressed. “What exactly happened yesterday?”

Jinyoung didn’t really know how to answer that question because not even he was sure of what exactly happened, but it didn’t matter because making sure Youngjae was okay was the most important thing at the moment.

“Well there was some sort of argument with his mom,” Jinyoung said, “about, you,” Jinyoung finished eyeing Jackson.

“Me? About what?”

“I don’t know. We were shopping and then she called Youngjae all freaked out asking if you were around. When we told her what was going on she wouldn’t have it and insisted that I say you were there.”

“Well that’s kind of weird,” Mark added to the conversation.

 “You three, on the bus,” said one of the supervising teachers. Jinyoung, Mark and Jackson looked around and saw that there was no sign of Youngjae. They reluctantly walk back to the bus and climbed in.

It was when they were all seated that Jinyoung spotted Youngjae making his way to the buses. He got up to go and let the teacher know Youngjae was coming but he ordered Jinyoung back to his seat; there was no more room on that bus so Youngjae would have to go on the second one.

As if already knowing, Youngjae went straight to the second bus, passing by the window where Jinyoung was shouting out his name to call his attention, but Youngjae simply ignored him and went past by him and the others.

Jinyoung and the others were left without words because Youngjae had totally just ignored them on purpose, maybe he had been doing that all along when all they were trying to do was see that he was alright.

When Youngjae got on the bus, the first thing he spotted were all the seats taken; except a few at the back of the bus. Youngjae slowly made his way down the aisle and spotted unfamiliar faces and just one he knew but was hesitant to sit with, Jaebum.

Jaebum who was busy pretending to be busy on his phone looked up to see if they were ready to go and saw Youngjae making his way down the aisle, he smiled and waved him over. Maybe it was their last little project, but Youngjae thought Jaebum considered him a friend now; Youngjae didn't quite feel the same way.

"Hi JB," Youngjae said standing next to him.

"Hey, wanna sit?" Jaebum asked gathering his bag and getting up to let Youngjae in to the window side. Youngjae slid right in and made himself comfortable. "So where are your friends?"

"On the other bus," Youngjae said not wanting to say more about the subject.

"Why aren't you with them?" Jaebum persisted.

"I just need some time alone right now."

"Problems in paradise?" Jaebum inquired making Youngjae question just that. Where did he and Jackson stand at the moment? After what he learned the night before, Youngjae said he would stop seeing Jackson, but he still really loved him. It made things that much more complicated.

"I don't know," Youngjae said closing his eyes and leaning against the window. "I need this trip to clear my head and see where things are..."

Jaebum looked at Youngjae who seemed to be dozing off already, maybe the guy had slept in and that was why he was late. Jaebum took out a small blanket he had in his bag and threw it over Youngjae's face so no one could see his ugly snoring face, or so Jaebum thought because he could care less. Later Youngjae would awaken to tell Jaebum what was happening in his life.


The trip to the mountains took about two hours, but that was enough time to put every student to sleep. When everyone finally awoke from the ride, they were at their destination and everyone was grumpy and hungry. Slowly the two buses unload the students and their luggage and everyone was assigned a sleeping cabin with three other students.

Jinyoung, Jackson, and Mark made to look for Youngjae as soon as they excited the bus but the crowd made it a bit difficult to spot him. As soon as the crowds cleared a bit, Jinyoung spotted his friend talking with Jaebum, waiting on their bags.

"Youngjae," Jinyoung said reaching him, Jackson and Mark seconds behind. Youngjae stared past Jinyoung to Jackson who looked worried.

"Youngjae what's going on?" Jackson asked stepping closer to Youngjae to hug him, have some sort of comfort in knowing that he was fine, but as Jackson stepped closer, Youngjae stepped further away.

"I can't, please," Youngjae said tearing up and running away from his friends and his boyfriend, ex-boyfriend? Brother?

"Youngjae!" Jackson shouted and moved to go after him but Jaebum grabbed his hand and stopped him from following.

"Leave him alone," Jaebum said to everyone.

"Let go man," Jackson ordered.

"He wants to be alone," said Jaebum.

"What do you know?"

"More than you do apparently," Jaebum said releasing his grip on Jackson.

"Did he tell you something?" Jinyoung asked because it seemed that Jaebum knew something they didn't, which made it that much more strange that Youngjae would tell Jaebum and not them, his friends.

"Yeah," Jaebum said all serious, "but it's not my place to get involved. Youngjae simply asked me to help him out for these days, and that included helping him stay away from you," he finished pointing at Jackson.

Jackson took that as a break up call and if Youngjae was breaking up with him, Jackson would make sure the reason was a good one and that Youngjae did it face to face, not through Jaebum of all people. He walked off in the direction of Youngjae; they were going to have a little talk about what had Youngjae so upset and acting up all of a sudden.

“You guys really should go stop him,” Jaebum said to Jinyoung and Mark who were left behind.

“Not until you tell us whatever it was that Youngjae said to you,” said Jinyoung moving over closer to Jaebum, trying to intimidate the guy. Jaebum smiled and snorted at the action.

“That’s cute but I’m serious, if you guys call yourselves his friends, then you’ll go stop that idiot from making things harder on Youngjae.”

“Dude, just tell us what he said,” Mark said stepping to meet Jinyoung in his stance against Jaebum.

“All I can say is that it’s about their families, there’s some history between them, deep , and that’s why Youngjae is this way at the moment.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Mark inquired.

“Find Jackson and tie him up if you have to, but if he keeps trying to in right now, all he is going to accomplish is to push Youngjae away and Youngjae is the one that is going to suffer more because of it,” said Jaebum. He walked away from Jinyoung and Mark heading over to his cabin, he knew Youngjae would head there, or he thought that was the only place he could go off to.


Jackson spent a good thirty minutes trying to find where Youngjae had gone to. He didn’t know what cabin Youngjae was staying in but he had mange to locate his own in the process. Jinyoung and Mark had caught up with him and told him to give it a rest; Youngjae was not going anywhere, not yet at least.

Dinner time was slowly approaching and all the students were now making their way to where a banquet was laid out for them all to feast on. Jackson immediately began scanning the area to see if he could spot Youngjae somewhere in the crowd.

“Third table up front,” Jinyoung said taking his seat to enjoy his meal. He had spotted Youngjae the minute they got there, but he was staying away as Jaebum had said. Jinyoung didn't know what Jaebum knew but he knew enough to know that if Youngjae needed some space then he would get it; once Youngjae was ready, he would go to his friends and confide in them. For now all Jinyoung had to do was wait and be patient, and get Jackson to be the same as well.

When Jackson moved to get up, Jinyoung grabbed his thigh and pushed him back down. "Stay, you don't want to make things worse," said Jinyoung.

"I just want to see if he's okay," Jackson said.

"You heard what JB said," Mark said taking a seat opposite Jinyoung.

"Since when do we listen to that idiot," Jackson said irritated. How was it that Jaebum got to speak to Youngjae when Jackson being his boyfriend couldn't.

"That idiot is the only one that can tell us what's up with Youngjae right now," Jinyoung said letting go of Jackson's thigh in the hopes that he would do the right thing and not press Youngjae for answers right now.

As dinner progress, Jackson couldn't keep his eyes from looking over at Youngjae's table. He was closely watching Youngjae and how he forced smiles to cover his face every time Jaebum seemed to say something; it was staring to irritate Jackson more than he thought so it was probably best that he turn in and go to his cabin.

"I'll catch you guys later," Jackson said getting up. Jinyoung and Mark who had been discussing the best things to do while camping stopped their conversation to look at him. "Relax, I'm just tired so I think I'll just head off to bed."

"Alright see you in a bit man," Mark said eyeing Jinyoung who was about say something but stopped when Mark gave him a small kick on the shin under the table.

Jinyoung and Mark watched as Jackson walked off into the darkness, shoulders hunched low and his spirit totally dull.

"Poor guy," Mark said turning his attention back to Jinyoung.

"I know but he isn't the only one suffering," Jinyoung said looking over at Youngjae's table. When he didn't spot his friend, Jinyoung quickly got up from the table. ", where did they go?" Mark turned around and saw that Youngjae and Jaebum were missing; he joined Jinyoung quick on his feet. "We need to find Jackson before he does something really stupid."

"You don't think he went looking for him, do you?" Mark asked. Jinyoung sighed and turned in the direction Jackson was last seen heading to. Mark took that as an answer and followed after Jinyoung. 


A/N: Hi? So I know that its been a long while since I have updated this story but since today is yours trullys birthday, I decided to give you all a present, if you're still there of course.

I know how it feels to wait for updates but anyways I trully hope you guys are still with me and that you remeber what the hell is going on with this story because even I had to go back and read what I had so that I could continue writing but anyways THANK YOU if you're still reading like for reals I appriciate it and I will post more frequently from now on just so that I can finish this story because I have dragged it long enough already

OK BYE~