Orphanage

Forever, Beyond Eternity [HIATUS]

“Mark, Jinyoung-ssi... I know this is a sensitive subject, which is why I never asked. But how did you end up in your orphanage back then?” Sooyeon questioned, as they were finishing their food.

 

 

Minji nodded, “I was afraid to ask also. I know Jinyoung would tell me stories about him and Mark's childhood friendship, but I didn't want to be in a saddening vibe.”

 

 

Jinyoung smiled, “That's totally fine, it's okay! Years and years have passed, I'm sure we've gotten over it.”

 

 

Mark nodded as a response, “Definitely, there's nothing to be resentful about.”

 

 

“I arrived at the orphanage when I was around three years old, by the way, this is coming from one of our workers from back then when I visited a few years ago. There was a horrible accident that my old family was in. I was found and brought to where Mark and I met.”

 

 

“So you don't know if your actual family is still alive?” Sooyeon asked.

 

 

The dark haired boy shook his head, “I don't. They're either dead or alive, but they never attempted looking for me. That's fine, I'm happy with my family now.”

 

 

Minji smiled at him and turned to Mark, “How about you, Mark-ssi?”

 

 

“There's no way I could ever forget how I came there. This is what Jinyoung and I's favorite worker told me before I left with my new family. I arrived before Jinyoung, way before. I was left on the doorstep, just about a few hours after I was born. My birth mother had a note with my birthday and said why she couldn't support me. Between Jinyoung and I, I was the first to come and the last to leave.”

 

 

“Can I ask why your mother couldn't support you?” Minji asked again.

 

 

He nodded, “She couldn't because she was under-aged and hid from her parents, which is why she went to Korea to hide from them before she goes back to Taiwan. It's completely understandable, which is why I can't hate her.”

 

 

Sooyeon smiled, “I still remember that day, when I first met you at the orphanage. You were so happy that day.”

 

 

Flashback

 

 

“Sooyeon-ah, you can go around on your own. Your mother and I will go around with one of the sisters and talk about the children here.” her father told her as he patted her head.

 

 

The little girl nodded and skipped her way to the playground. She noticed everyone having fun and running around the jungle gym. However, she noticed one boy sitting down in the corner by himself.

 

 

She went up to him and sat next to him, “Hello!”

 

 

“Hello there...” he was obviously shy.

 

 

“My name is Kwon Sooyeon. What's your name?”

 

 

“My name is Mark Tuan.”

 

 

She noticed his last name, “You're not Korean?”

 

 

He shook his head, “No, I'm Taiwanese, but I was born here.”

 

 

“I see... Why are you lonely? Don't you want to play with the other boys and girls?” she asked him.

 

 

Mark shrugged, “I don't want to. My best friend was adopted last month, so I don't want to hang out with others.”

 

 

“That's okay. I understand, I don't have a brother or sister, I'm very lonely too. Oh, do you want a cookie? It's Chocolate Chip!” Sooyeon held out her ziploc bag filled with miniature cookies.

 

 

He smiled and grabbed one, “Thank you.”

 

 

She nodded, “You're welcome! Sharing is caring!”

 

 

Mark laughed as he smiled, “You're right. My best friend named Jinyoung and I would always share our snacks before.”

 

 

- - - -

 

 

A Sister, Sooyeon, and her parents walked towards Mark, “Yi-Eun-ah.”

 

 

He looked at them, “Oh, annyeonghasaeyo.” He bowed plenty of times, “and hello, Sooyeon-ssi.”

 

 

Sooyeon nodded, “Hello, Mark-ssi!”

 

 

The Sister smiled at him, “We have good news for you, Yi-Eun-ah. I told these parents how good of a child you are, and supposedly little Sooyeon got to know you quite a bit.”

 

 

Mark looked at all of them, “Then, am I....?”

 

 

Sooyeon's mother nodded with a bright smile, “Yes, Yi-Eun. Welcome to our family.”

 

 

He smiled a smile that could be compared as a rainbow after a rainstorm, “Thank you...”

 

 

Sooyeon smiled also, “So.... Yi-Eun or Mark...? I'm confused.”

 

 

“Mark Tuan.”

 

 

That week, they moved from Seoul to San Francisco, and Mark began a new life with a family.

 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

The four of them were walking around the mall. Mark and Jinyoung were catching up again, and Minji and Sooyeon were getting to know each other.

 

 

“Your brother is a pain in the also? Since I'm the cook in the household, he'll always ask me to make him something to eat when he comes home late.” Sooyeon laughed, sighing as she looked at her brother.

 

 

Minji nodded, “That was exactly my role before my parents got divorced, it was insane...”

 

 

Sooyeon chuckled as she shook her head, “Why can't boys be adept in cooking meals? All my brother can make is a grilled cheese sandwich and instant macaroni and cheese. I feel sorry for his future wife...”

 

 

“I feel like my brother's specialty is instant ramen... I'd feel bad for both girls.” Minji commented.

 

 

Their brothers stopped in their tracks and turned to the girls, “Hey! I learned from our maids, shut up!” Jinyoung exclaimed.

 

 

Mark pointed at Sooyeon, “And you, don't embarrass me! Don't talk bad about us.”

 

 

Minji looked at both of them and shrugged, “Well, there has to be something that sparks a conversation. I guess your ignorance in cooking was ours.”

 

 

Sooyeon started laughing, “I'd have to agree! Lets get away from them so we can talk about them more.” she said as the both of them walked away.

 

 

The two guys looked at each other, “Dude... I have a feeling introducing them to each other will cause a whole bunch of chaos...” Jinyoung declared.

 

 

“Honestly, I'm on the same page. I feel when your friends and us are together, it'd be worse...” Mark added, chuckling while shaking his head.

 

 

Although the two girls were far away from them, Mark and Jinyoung could still hear what they were talking about.

 

 

“Your brother's fashion makes it obvious he's from America.” Minji commented.

 

 

Sooyeon started laughing, “Right! Looking at your brother, I sure do hope that isn't the Korean fashion for guys...”

 

 

Mark and Jinyoung became silent before, “Those girls...” they said in unison.

 


Hi everyone. I'm sorry about my behavior in this chapter, my dog is very sick right now and I don't know if she'll make it after her vet visit tomorrow morning. I just wanted to update just incase if worse goes to worse, then I won't be updating for a while. I didn't want to update today, but this is for you all. Thank you, everyone.