On the Way to the First Day

Forever, Beyond Eternity [HIATUS]

“Kids, I’ll be stuck in the office until four, so I’ll be able to pick up Pepero and Mark’s car at the airport. Your mom doesn’t want to take care of Pepero, so we’ll take care of her.” their father explained to them.

 

“I missed little Pepero! What time are you coming home tonight?” she asked, only caring about her Bichon Frise Poodle mix dog.

 

Their father shrugged, “Six at the latest. I could tell you guys had some visitors come here yesterday because the dishes were piled up.”

 

Mark nodded, “Remember Jinyoung? We ran into him and his sister at the mall on Saturday and we met his friends because I told him they could come here.”

 

“I’m glad you two are finding friends already, just don’t overdo it. Education is the most important thing in the world for you two.”

 

“Yes appa.” Sooyeon replied, “Education will always be on my mind, don’t worry.”

 

Their father smiled, “Good. I have to go now, I’ll see you two later.” he grabbed his briefcase and walked out of the house.”

 

Mark sighed, “I have thirty minutes until I have to leave. What are we eating for breakfast?”

 

Sooyeon glared at him, “Are you kidding? Make your own breakfast, there’s cereal and milk. I’m not cooking for you.” she walked out of the kitchen and went to her room.

 

She grabbed her phone and noticed there was a text message displayed on the screen:

 

7:22 - Hey Sooyeon. It’s Jinyoung if you remember me. Sorry for the sudden text, I got your number from Minji. Anyways, can you tell your brother to answer his phone?

 

Not wanting to be a downer, she replied right away, 7:38 - Sure, I’ll tell him. Also don’t worry, save my number if you want.

 

7:42 - Thanks, Sooyeon!

 

Sooyeon ran downstairs to the kitchen to see her brother, already with her bag latched onto her shoulder, “Hey, call Jinyoung will you? He’s been trying to reach you that he got my number from Minji.”

 

“If he texts you again, just tell him that my phone’s charging. He’ll understand.”

 

Sooyeon looked him weirdly, “Uhm, alright then? Well, I’m going to go shopping for today’s lunch at one of the grocery stores, if I can find one. Do you want anything?”

 

“Oh, some strawberries would be great. Thanks, little sis!” Mark answered as he smiled.

 

- - - -

 

About twenty minutes after, she received another text message.

 

8:13 - Sooyeon, it’s Jinyoung again, sorry. Is your brother with you?

 

8:14 - Not anymore. He told me to tell you that his phone was charging. He should be on his way to school right now.

 

8:16 - You didn’t go along with him? There’s a lot of cafes at our school.

 

8:17 - No, I’m going healthy this year. I’m trying to find a grocery store, but I just can’t find one around here.

 

8:18 - Where are you? I’ll pick you up and take you there so you don’t have to walk so far. Least I can do for my best friend’s sister.

 

8:19 - You sure? I don’t want to be a bother.

 

8:21 - It’s okay! I’m getting myself some coffee right now, so I can just go and drive.

 

8:22 - Thanks Jinyoung-ssi. I’m nearby the park near my house, there’s not really a name.

 

8: 23 - Got it. I’ll be there soon.

 

In five minutes, Jinyoung had already arrived in his car and Sooyeon got in, “Thanks, Jinyoung-ssi. It really means a lot.”

 

He shook his head, “No problem. I wanted to get some healthy breakfast too, so it’s beneficial, isn’t it?”

 

Sooyeon laughed, “Yeah, it is. I didn’t know you had such a fancy car though.”

 

“I only use this to get to school since our house is pretty far away from campus, our house is about twenty minutes away from your house by car. So obviously, I have no other choice than to use this.”

 

“How does Minji get to school then?” the girl questioned.

 

“She rode with me last year, but since her classes start earlier than mine at least two days of the week, then on those days, she takes the bus.”

 

She nodded in understanding,, “I see. You’re a very good brother then.”

 

He shrugged, “I sure am, but I consider my kindness as a thank you since I was adopted.”

 

“How was it like living in the orphanage? I could never ask Mark, something always stopped me. I’m curious now though.”

 

Jinyoung laughed, “Oh boy, living in the orphanage was like a roller coaster ride. Anticipating being chosen by a couple, then becoming sad when you weren’t picked. But eh, that doesn’t matter now. But Mark and I though, we hated each other when we first met each other and we still don’t know why we were so angry at each other. Maybe I was the more good looking one. I’m kidding, but we just didn’t get along for at least two months.”

 

Sooyeon smiled, “What got the both of you being best friends?”

 

“Since we shared the same room with at least four other boys, there was one night where it was freezing in the winter. My jackets were in the laundry, so Mark gave me one of his.”

 

She nodded, “Mark was always the nicest person that I’ve ever known. My parents feared that Mark wasn’t going to like us, but he was such a nice person to my parents. They got used to him around the house as their son in like...less than a day.”

 

“Why did your family want to adopt, though?”

 

Sooyeon sighed, “My mom had this condition where she couldn’t have anymore children, and I was the only child. They felt bad for me since I was always so lonely, so they adopted Mark. How about you? How did you become adopted?”

 

Jinyoung shrugged, “I never bothered asking. All that counts is that I have a family now. Whatever the reason may be, I wasn’t involved in it until I arrived in their house.”

 

“I understand…”

 

Within a few minutes, they finally arrived at their campus, “Well, welcome to Yonsei University, Sooyeon.”


She chuckled, “Yeah, welcome to this roller coaster ride…”


Hello, everyone! I just wanted to quickly update today. I'm in my Computer Concepts right now sneakily posting this because my teacher is quite...well.... But anyway, I apologize for the weird editing. I'll fix it later!