Swim Meets and Skirts

Forever, Beyond Eternity [HIATUS]

Months began to pass, and both of the Angels missions were improving, they finally became closer because of the interests they share and the fact that they normally have things to talk or complain about.

 

Hell, they even got a new member in their group of friends. It was JinAe from their dance department, and she and Jaebum began their own “thing.”

 

She, Minji, and Sooyeon became best friends by the second week they all started hanging out with each other, and they became inseparable.

 

Minji was very happy with what she was doing in school. She’s the happiest in her Vocals class, and was assigned with Taehyung as a partner. She actually didn’t realize that she and Mark had gotten closer throughout the months, and they became almost as good as best friends as well.

 

For Sooyeon, however, it was different. Her antidepressant dosage went higher, and by the beginning of the new year, she started becoming distant with other people. If it wasn’t for dancing, she would’ve been in the deepest darkest pits of her own internal abyss.

 

Other than their desired majors, almost all of them became involved in sports. Jackson originally focused his majority Fencing, and is now considered the school’s best athlete. BamBam became the point guard, and along with him, Jaebum became the shooting guard of the Basketball team, becoming the most popular ones on the team. Jinyoung and Youngjae became part of the soccer team, as Yugyeom and Sooyeon were part of the Track and Field team.

 

----

 

“Hey! Haven’t seen you since yesterday.” Mark greeted as he sat down in front of Minji at the group’s usual spot, the university’s coffee house.

 

She chuckled, “Same,” laughing as she tapped her pencil on the table, “Did you get any of the problems for Calculus?”

 

“I got half of it done, but I understand it. How many did you get done?”

 

“Two.” Minji answered honestly, “Can you check my answers?”

 

The boy nodded, “Yeah, of course. We don’t meet once a week for nothing, right?” he said as he grabbed Minji’s paper.

 

She chuckled weakly, “Y-yeah… You’re right. I just t-thank you for using your time to help me with this instead of practicing for your swim meet.”

 

Little did anyone know, is that Minji started to develop feelings for her best friend’s brother. She was happy that he could trust her with anything that was on his mind, and she proved to be trustworthy as well.

 

However, she didn’t know if she was actually falling for him or not, because she used to never believe in love, and never felt this way before.

 

Mark gave out a smile, “It’s not a problem, I really don’t mind if it’s you guys. Oh, by the way, speaking of a swim meet, I have one coming up tomorrow. All of you are invited, so you’d all best support me.”

 

She gave out a smile, “I’ll definitely be there then.”

 

He put his pinkie out forward, “Promise? I’m sure some of them will bail, but you’ll be there?”

 

Minji smiled a little wider and linked pinkies with him, “I promise.”

 

And for that next hour, the both of them were working on their math homework before Mark had to go to his next class for the day.

 

While the girl was packing her stuff, the owner of the coffee shop, Wooyoung, went up to her, as he started cleaning up the table, “When are you telling him?”

 

“Probably never.”

 

He laughed, “That’s high school crap that you’re saying. If you like him, just tell him already.”

 

Minji sighed as she put on her backpack, “One of these days, then. I’ll do it one day.”

 

“You’d better. You guys are my ultimate regulars so I obviously care about you all.”

 

She nodded, “We know, I got you, Wooyoung. I’ll see you tomorrow!” she waved to him and walked out of the coffee shop.

 

----

 

JinAe’s phone rang at least four times before she picked up, “Hello, Minji? Why are you calling so late? I thought you would have fallen asleep already.”

 

“Not yet, I’m just up thinking about stuff and I was wondering if I could ask you about it.” she questioned.

 

“Sure! Ask awa- Wait, is it about who I think it is?”

 

“What?”

 

The other girl’s laughs could be heard from the other line, “I know you like Mark. Wait, did he finally ask you out on a date?!”

 

Minji’s eyes widened, “NO! I’m just going to go to his swim meet tomorrow...and what do you mean by finally?”

 

“Oh that was nothing. But I’m assuming you want something to wear?”

 

“Yeah, I mean I know I’m just going to go home and study after, but I want to look presentable.”

 

JinAe sighed happily, “I got you, I’ll go to your house tomorrow before my class and I’ll give you the clothes and a ride to school tomorrow. That sounds good?”

 

“Yeah, it does. Well, thank you very much, JinAe. I’ll see you tomorrow, good night!” and with that, she hung up the phone.

 

----

 

Throughout the entire day, she felt uncomfortable with the skirt that one of her best friends gave her. Whenever she sat down she was thankful that she didn’t have to use her textbook as a block.

 

However, while she was waiting for others at the swim meet’s bleachers, she got text messages from them saying they were either in class or had their practices. ...While JinAe literally texted her, “Good luck! ;P”

 

Minji sighed. None of their best friends were going to be able to watch Mark during his competition. She didn’t even see his dad; it’s a given though because of all the work he does.

 

During the meet however, Mark won first place in 400m Freestyle Relay, which surprised them all because there were about seven other lanes filled with good swimmers from other schools.

 

When he looked up at the bleachers, and only saw Minji, he was definitely okay with that. He was already glad enough that she kept her promise and came to the event.

 

----

 

“Yah, Son Minji!” Mark ran after her, and caught up with her after a few seconds, “You can’t just watch my meet and just leave without personally congratulating me.”

 

She started to blush as she looked down, “S-sorry, I didn’t think you would be done changing at this point, so I just thought I would study at home for midterms next week.”

 

“Why don’t we go out to eat first and then I’ll walk you home? Since it’s only the two of us I don’t have to pay so much for the others.”

 

“No, it’s okay, Mark. I really should be studying…”

 

The boy was firm, “No, you kept the promise I asked you to fulfill yesterday, and this is a thanks to that. So just say yes.”

 

Minji sighed, “Fine, alright. But I don’t want to stay out for too long. I can’t stand this skirt…”

 

“You do know that it’s too cold to wear that in the day like this, right? It’s the coldest day of spring.”

 

Her sigh became heavier, “It’s not even mine…”

 

He looked at her with a confused expression, “Whose is that then? And why’d you even wear it?”

 

“It’s JinAe’s, and I... I uhm, wore it for a presentation today in Economics.” she dishonestly answered.

 

Mark laughed, “Makes sense, because honestly, you look uncomfortable wearing that. I know you prefer pants more.”

 

As the two talked, they ended up at a nearby Shabu Shabu place, and they couldn’t stop making each other laugh as they ate.

 

“Yeah! I literally saw our Calc professor walking around like that at the mall! I was with Sooyeon a few days ago because she needed a new wallet, and I just saw him buying shoes!”

 

“I can’t believe he wears a wig on campus but forgets his students have lives outside of university…”

 

The two continued laughing, but it was evident that they slowly grew awkward after they died down.

 

“Hey Minji?” the boy called out for her, “Can I ask a favor from you?”

 

She nodded, “Yeah, sure. What is it?”

 

“Don’t wear skirts that short again. You’re not comfortable and you’re freezing. Plus I see a lot of guys looking at you…”

 

Minji looked around, and realized that he was indeed right, “You care about that?”

 

He smiled, “About those guys? No. But about you? Yeah, I care a lot about you. So please don’t wear skirts unless you really have to.”

 

“You act like you like me in that way, Mark.” she commented, “You’re making me feel weird.”

 

Mark looked at her straight in the eye, “Well, that’s because I do.”

 

The girl’s eyes widened, “W-What?!”

 

“Heh, yeah…” he said with a cute smile, scratching his head, “I’ve been wanting to tell you that for awhile now. I’m sorry if that came sudden...and please ignore what I just said if you don’t like me back.”

 

As she spoke, Minji kept stuttering, “N-No, you don’t h-have to apologize, because I-I actually feel t-the same way…”

 

“Are you serious?” he said in surprise with the biggest smile on his face.

 

“Yeah, I like you too…”

 

Mark sighed, both overwhelmed and happy, “Then...does that mean that we’re…?”

 

She gave him a small nod, “Yeah… We are.” she answered him as she gave him an assuring smile.

 


 

I've had a lot on my plate since my last update. I started college and I'm actually now in the midterms period of the semester...so this is just a quick update lol. I hope there are some people still reading this anyways. Well, I'll see y'all at the next update!...if I don't go on hiatus bc of school stress.