Stolen Bike

Slow Like Thunder [Drabbles]

Title: Stolen Bike

Characters: Baekhyun, Jongdae

Rated: G

Genre: slice of life

Warnings: none

Word Count: 463

Inspiration: EXO's MAMA

 


 

Stolen Bike

Baekhyun was always one to smile. For as long as he could remember, whenever a face presented itself in front of him, he greeted that face with a warm and friendly smile. However, over the years the number of faces that returned his smile dwindled down until even Baekhyun, himself, stopped smiling to strangers.

During one of his lunch breaks Baekhyun was walking down the street amidst a crowd of bodies and faces. Like everyone else, he avoided eye contact, only determined to reach his destination. When he saw someone in need of help, he turned the other cheek and strode forward, removing the memory from his mind.

But when night came, the memory kept him tossing and turning until it was well past midnight.

The next day when it was his turn to be on the receiving end of bad events, he expected no help and was given none. He was going to have to do it all alone. When his bike -- his only means of transportation -- was stolen, Baekhyun headed home, beaten and exhausted.

It was a cloudy day and he was grateful there was no rain to shame him, no thunder to laugh at him, no lightning to strike down and single him out. No one would have guessed Baekhyun's turmoil by simply looking at him and neither would Baekhyun understand what others were going through.

Baekhyun decided he would look up into the faces of those who brushed past him as they went their way. He wanted to brighten their evenings as they headed to their destinations. To every man, woman, child, and even animal he smiled his best.

Several people returned his smile, sending a soft swelling in his chest.

While he was unlocking the door to his apartment, his next door neighbor was returning home as well. Baekhyun was tired and he didn't spare a single glance at his neighbor. His cheeks hurt and he just wanted to be alone and cry. He would have to purchase a new means of transportation.

His neighbor paused, waiting to see the familiar smile he received every morning and evening. When Baekhyun opened his door and stepped in, his neighbor quickly asked, "What happened to your bike?"

Not bothering to turn around, Baekhyun replied, "It was stolen."

"Well, it's a good thing I stole it back, then."

Confused, Baekhyun stepped back out to see his neighbor holding onto the handles of his bike. His neighbor smiled, his eyes twinkling and lips curved in that utmost adorable fashion. His neighbor rolled the bike back to its original owner.

Baekhyun beamed at his neighbor in gratitude, "Thank you so much! How could I possibly repay you?"

"Just keep smiling at me like you do everyday. Your smile always chases away the darkness."