Second Shadow

Slow Like Thunder [Drabbles]

Title: Second Shadow

Characters: Baekhyun, Jongdae

Rated: PG

Genre: fluff

Warnings: none

Word Count: 388

Inspiration: I needed some Baekchen angst but somehow turned this into a happy ending fml

 


Second Shadow

Twenty two years and he had never dated a single person. Throughout his life when people asked him out or took interest in him, it was due to a losing bet or a dare or a sick joke. Because of that he never took anyone seriously, not even the brunet named Kim Jongdae.

Baekhyun had to give Jongdae props for being persistent but it became cumbersome. For a whole month Jongdae appeared by his side, following him like a second shadow. Baekhyun never confronted Jongdae, Baekhyun couldn't find it in him to coldly turn the other away.

Baekhyun thought everything would resort back once Jongdae's presence vanished, but he found it rather odd and uncomfortable. Jongdae no longer waited outside Baekhyun's classroom. The walk to the car became lonely and quiet. When it rained and he forgot his umbrella, Jongdae's wasn't there to shield him. Baekhyun would have to run through the rain and arrive in his destination drenched.

Then one day while he was digging through his backpack for his calculator, he came across a crumpled letter addressed to him from Jongdae.

Wondering how and when Jongdae managed to sneak the letter in, Baekhyun decided to read it just because. He wasn't too keen on returning back to his math homework, a small break would be nice.

But the small break turned into a long evening of doubt. As hard as he tried, Baekhyun found himself wishing he could ask Jongdae in person whether the contents of the letter were true or false. In the back of his mind, Baekhyun knew even if Jongdae had said the words were true, Baekhyun would still doubt him.

How could the most handsome man Byun Baekhyun had even seen in his entire twenty two years of life have a crush on him? Yes, Baekhyun didn't deny he had been eyeing Jongdae but it was admiration from afar. That's how it always was for Baekhyun. He never dared to step into dark waters and risk drowning.

When Jongdae approached him, Baekhyun thought it was too good to be true.

Baekhyun kept the letter in his box of unique treasures. A year later his best friend found it and confronted him.

"You liar. You had the stupid letter all this time! I got so scared that someone else might have received it."