Mokpo

48 hours

reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxSkbEnPr0

I've decided to add some references again. Gotto update the other chapters though.

Thank you for reading :)

------------------------------------

During one of the episodes of “Hello Baby” we visited the “kid’s land”, an indoor playground on the top-floor of a mall. We were awkward at first, Jonghyun seriously bored and I hated to be filmed while making a total fool of myself. I think we tried too hard to entertain Yoogeun as a group. Then Minho came up with the animal-costumes which worked better for us than for the kid. But finally we got around to entertaining Yoogeun as well, especially with the bobby-car race that mischievous Jjong won bribing and conning.  

Now it’s time to dress up for Yoogeun’s sake again although this time not as animals.

We spend the evening trying to busy ourselves with cleaning up the dorm. There’s nothing else to do while waiting for details concerning the delivery. We all feel uneasy but Minho is seriously worried. I’ve never seen him like that before. He keeps wondering if we’re doing the right thing and although he doesn’t try to change the plan he obviously isn’t all in either.

Taemin goes with the flow like he always does in our joint activities. I don’t think he is shallow, it’s like he’s dancing through life and is led by the music that SHINee plays. Among us he is the most relaxed and relies on us to make the right decisions.

Jjong is almost cheerful which is equally unapt and refreshing. It unnerves Minho but calms me. I think he is looking forward to see Kibum. Although JongKey is a myth the two of them indeed have a special connection. They like each other a lot and there is a deep understanding between them.

At 10:00pm sharp another message from the kidnappers arrives, this time on Minho’s phone. It’s like they’re trying to unsettle us by taking turns and I wonder if we missed anything vital that might have been sent to Taemin’s lost phone.

It’s a video-clip accompanied by a text.

The clip shows the same room again. This time it’s dark except for a small bedside lamp. Yoogeun is sleeping on a mattress on the floor and a gloved hand holds a bottle of sleeping pills into the camera. Minho turns pale while we’re watching.

The text says:

10:00PM TOMORROW NIGHT AT SAMHAKDO-DOCKS AT MOKPO JEOLLANAM-DO. NO POLICE!

“And where the is Mokpo?” Jjong asks after we have re-watched the clip and taken down notes.

Taemin opens Google earth.

“They can’t be serious”, Minho says, “how are we supposed to get there in time?”

The place is all the way down the map, south of Gwangjou. There are flights going out from Gimpo to Gwangjou-airport but none of them in time. We could go by railway then it’s about 6 hours but the online-schedule shows delays and cancellations due to the weather.

“Well, we’ll have to drive down there”, I suggest, “it’s a long way but we still have enough time. We already got the car, the money, the clothes ...”

“We haven’t got Kibum yet”, Jjong interrupts. “If he’s late we’re in trouble.”

“True”, I agree, “but we still should figure out how to get there by car and make alternative plans, shouldn’t we?”

Jjong nods slightly embarrassed. Sometimes I actually have the necessary leader-authority, but it always makes me feel awkward.

Although the message itself is disturbing it gives us something to do. We work on the most favorable routes while keeping an eye on the train-schedule and the weather-report. The latter doesn’t look good. It started to snow around 09:00pm and hasn’t stopped yet. Reports say it might be snowing all night and that they even expect one of the heaviest snow-falls of the decade.

And as if this isn’t bad enough, Kibum calls Jjong around 2:00am:

“ the snow”, he says, “I’m stuck again.”

He’s in Tokyo now but Narita has cancelled all outgoing flights. JJong was lucky to get out of Japan in time. They’re shutting down airports one after the other.

Even Taemin is worried now. We’re running out of time.

“Any plan?” Jjong asks, “Can you go somewhere else?”

“I’ll take the train to Osaka and hopefully I’m faster than the snow. Then I might arrive at Incheon airport in the afternoon or early evening.”

“That won’t do”, Minho grabs the phone, “the rendezvous isn’t in Seoul or anywhere near. We got to go down South to some place called Mokpo. We haven’t even found out yet how to get there in time if we start early in the morning.”

There’s a moment’s silence at the end of the line. Then Kibum says:

“I’ll figure something out.”

“Like what?” Minho asks but Kibum already hung up. Minho is flustered and annoyed. Actually it’s only Jjong who doesn’t look more worried than before. I’m impressed by his faith in Kibum’s problem solving abilities. But then again if not Kibum who else is supposed to save the day?