tons of problems

48 hours

I'm in a flow right now, therefore another chapter already. Hope you still enjoy and thanks for your comments, they're much appreciated! :)

----------

All of us immediately start to frantically reach around in search for Kibum. Minho squeezes the airbag in front of him to deflate it enough to move more freely and I help him to unbuckle his seatbelt.

We try not to rock the car too much while searching, in fear of again toppling over since it doesn’t seem stable in its present position.

Kibum is not there.

“He must have been flung out through the windscreen”, Jjong says with a desperate undertone but Minho dismisses it:

“No he wasn’t. He was still beside me when we crashed through the guard-rail. And he was buckled up anyway.”

“Then where is he?”

Jjong creeps into the front and snakes through the remains of the windscreen. The safety-glass pane has shattered into thousands of pebbled shards. Taemin follows him.

I squirm into the front of the car and try to pull Minho out of his position. His legs are still trapped under the steering wheel. Wrapping my arms around his chest I notice that there is a gash on his forehead right at his left brow that is bleeding profusely. I don’t know much about first-aid but I’m pretty sure we need to stop this.

I hear Jjong cursing outside and then both him and Taemin shouting Kibum’s name.

Finally Minho slides out of the seat. I wonder if it is wise to stay in the car since it might once again turn over, but pulling Minho into the snow and the rain outside doesn’t seem a good idea either.

While propping him up I notice that he’s about to lose consciousness again. I just dearly hope he isn’t injured internally.

“Minho”, I call him, “try to stay awake. I’ll just go and get the first aid kit from the trunk.”

With this I also squeeze outside.

There is still a lot of snow. We’re out in a field or something that lies below the highway. There is no traffic at all, probably because the rain has turned the blacktop into an ice-sheet. From where I am I can see the top of the truck far back. We obviously slid quite a distance before breaking through the rail. I wonder if the truck-driver is still in there and what happened to him. But I have to admit that right now I only care about the guys.

Because of the snow it’s light enough that I can see Jonghyun and Taemin moving around shouting and looking for Kibum. Jjong is limping considerably while Taemin seems unhurt.

I don’t see anybody else.

Right, I should look for the first-aid kit in the trunk. Moving to the back of the car I realize that we have been incredibly lucky. The frame is pretty solid and apart from the shattered windscreen the damage appears to be only superficial.

When I try to fumble open the trunk-lid someone behind me says:

“We might as well topple the ing car back on its wheels.”

“Kibum!” I shout out startled.

He drops the big bag with the clothes next to me that we had prepared for the rendezvous with the kidnappers. The kidnappers ... I completely forgot about that and wonder how much time we’ve already lost. I feel my knees buckle when everything at once comes back to me and the situation becomes overwhelming.

“Whoawhoa, Hyung”, Kibum says, grabbing me around the waist. Then he shouts over to Jjong and Taemin:

“I’m here.”

Taemin comes dashing back. I believe I’ve never seen him so relieved before. He jump-hugs both Kibum and me and we all land in the snow. Jjong arrives late still limping and just throws himself onto the heap smiling like an idiot.

“What about Minho?” Kibum asks when we finally get up again.

“He’s still in the car”, I tell him. “He hurt his head. I was trying to get the first aid kit from the trunk.”

We manage to wrestle open the trunk, Jjong and Taemin making sure the car doesn’t topple over again while Kibum and I wedge the lid open. There’s a first aid kit alright and even a blanket. The rain has ceased but it’s still freaking cold.

I take everything we need and rush back to check on Minho. Taemin slips into the car next to me.

Minho is still conscious.

“You found him?” he asks weakly while I try to disinfect the gash on his forehead.

“He found ME”, I say and start to wonder where Kibum had gone in the first place and why.

I hear Jjong asking the same thing outside.

“Where did you go? And why did you just leave everybody behind? Weren’t you worried at all?”

“I got the bag”, Kibum answers.

“Who cares about a ing bag?” Jjong shouts agitated. “We could have died here.”

“I thought it was Taemin.”

“What?” Taemin asks sticking his head through the broken windshield.

Kibum crouches down.

“Hey Minho”, he says smiling and grabs his hand, “you alright?”

Minho sticks out his tongue but then smiles too.

“Yeah”, he says, “I’ll be alright.”

Turning to Taemin Kibum says:

“The fricking bag flew past me through the windscreen while we were making somersaults and I thought it was your curled up scrawny self. So first thing when we finally stopped was finding out if Minho had unexpectedly become our Maknae.”

Taemin looks touched and can’t hide a smile.

“And when I found the bag I made a call to report the accident, but nothing going there. I guess there are hundreds of accidents right now because of the ice-rain.”

“Did you check on the truck-driver?” I ask.

He gives me a weird look and slowly says:

“No ... I kinda cared more about you guys, that’s why I came back.”

Jjong pushes Kibum into the car-wreck and comes after him. We huddle together, still not quite grasping the whole situation but incredibly relieved that we’re all alive.

“Okay”, Jjong finally says, “we’re alive, that’s great. But we got a ton of problems right now.” He checks his watch: “We’ve lost an hour, we have no vehicle and Minho should probably see a doctor...”

“Jinki-Hyung too”, Taemin interrupts, “and you. You can’t even walk properly.”

“Whatever”, Jjong goes on, “we need to get the police here and we should immediately check on the truck-driver, he might be in trouble. But all of this will take hours and we don’t have that time.”

“The car might still be working”, Kibum says, “and we can probably push it back on its wheels now that it’s already on its side.”

“Are you seriously suggesting we’ll drive on without a windshield?” Jjong asks back.

“Well, it’s an option and probably not the worst one. Anyway, let’s push the thing over and then we’ll see.”

We slip out of the car again dragging Minho with us. He’s still too dizzy to get up, but the bleeding has stopped, thank God.

The rest of us line up at the roof-side of the car and push. It’s surprisingly easy and with only a few times rocking back and forth we manage to get it back on the wheels.

“Okay”, Kibum says, and turning to Taemin “you try to get it going again. Jinki and I can check on the truck-driver.”

“Yeah, and put Minho back in the car”, I add, “Jjonggie too. And keep trying to call the police.”

Jjong wants to protest but since he has to admit that he will only slow us if he comes with us, he quickly backs down.

I set off with Kibum and while we’re struggling to get through the iced-over snow he says:

“Remind me to send Ari-chan a huge box of her favorite chocolates when we come back.”

“Sure ... why?”

He points at his feet:

“She gave me the mental strength to wear these abominations.”