take responsibility

48 hours

Among the most discussed episodes of “SHINee’s Hello Baby” were those where we re-enacted the traditional story of Chunhyang and the allegory of the rich and the poor man. For the Chunhyang act Kibum was absent because of a death in the family. Anyway he was disappointed that he wasn’t in the drama so the writer suggested we’d do it again. Both performances were hilarious and I don’t remember ever having as much fun as we did then.

In the show this is presented as creating memories for Yoogeun because he isn’t in it himself. Actually he was a bit sick both times and couldn’t come to the shooting, so we had to improvise. But that may have been one of the reasons why it turned out so entertaining. There is a secret one-hour-edition of the numerous outtakes of both shoots that we put together afterwards. We have watched it a couple of times and we always end up totally exhausted from rolling on the floor laughing our asses off.

While we sit waiting for something to happen I think about those days and clandestinely look at the guys. Was that really us? Have we really been so close and so comfortable with each other once? Was that gorgeous creature that lies sprawled on the couch now really shy Chunhyang playing hacky sack?

And then I suddenly feel incredibly lonely although they’re there.

“We’re wasting time”, Minho says after we have watched the kidnapping video-clips over and over again without anything coming up. “We should have told the police when they were here. We could have explained the situation and worked together with them. Actually I think we should call them now. We can’t handle this ourselves.”

He looks around for support and I see a weak sign of compliance in Taemin’s face. He was never good at waiting.

I sigh inwardly, guiltily realizing that there was a spark of hope in my heart that Yoogeun’s kidnapping might bring back the old times and make us family again. But before I can say that I’ll accept it if they decide to talk to the police, Jjong’s phone rings again. It’s Kibum:

“I’m in L.A. now. I’ll catch a flight to Tokyo in an hour.”

Minho takes the phone from Jjong and says:

“The police has been here. We’re thinking about just telling them, let them handle the situation.”

“And be rid of the problem?” Kibum asks.

“What’s that supposed to mean”, Minho asks back irritated, “we should have called them immediately. This is not a TV-show and we’re not Sherlock Holmes.”

We all listen in and I’m curious how Kibum will reply.

“Minho”, he says, “if you hand this over to the police, what will you do then? Stick around hoping Yoogeun will be okay?”

“Well of course I would stay in touch”, Minho answers, “what’s your point here? Are you trying to tell me I’m shallow?”

“Nah”, Kibum says, “I’ve thought about it myself. I thought why the don’t we let the police handle this and just do what we do best. Return to our jobs and send some flowers in case it goes wrong ...”

Minho looks as if someone slapped his face and we’re all startled by the carelessness with which Kibum mentions the possibility of Yoogeun’s death that so far just appeared to be part of a fantasy-plot.

But Key carries on:

“... be honest to yourself, Minho, you wouldn’t wait for the outcome. SM would give you hell anyway and you’d justify your absence with something like ‘I couldn’t do anything’. And not just you, we’d all do that. We always do that. We’re idols, that’s what we’re good at. Nothing else.”

Jjong takes the phone back from Minho.

“So what do you want us to do?” he asks and I’m touched that he is totally ready to accept advice from Kibum, even asks for it.

“I want you to wait for me. Get the sleeveless black crap ready, maybe rent a car so we won’t be dragging a crowd to the rendezvous”, Kibum replies. “I think we owe Yoogeun this one. We haven’t done much for him lately although he used to call us Appas. Don’t you all remember that? It meant something in spite of it being a reality show.”

Then he adds:

“Minho, you actually loved the kid. You weren’t just an attention . He needs you now, you and all of us.” And turning to Jonghyun again, “let’s do this, Jjongi, let’s take responsibility. I’m on my way”

Taemin nods, so do I and when Jjong looks at Minho he shrugs, but he can’t fool us. He too is moved by Kibum’s little speech. So Jonghyun says:

“Okay, we’re all in.”

 “Splendid”, Kibum replies mockingly, “I’ll call you again ... oh, and Jinki-Hyung, go get the money ready!”

Right, it’s already 2pm, we’re 16 hours into the deadline