Beginning (Chapter 8)

The Vanguard of Death

"Looks like they're here..." Sooyoung commented to Hyoyeon from their vantage point on the roof of SM. Hyoyeon nodded as she saw Sunyeon appearing from warped space, YoonYul landing with Seo and JeTi galloping in.

"Looks like Taeyeon reached first. I bet my two cousins were too busy looking at each other, which caused them to overshoot and have to make a u-turn. They should have been first." Sooyoung laughed as she snacked on some biscuits. "Let's go down to meet them" Sooyoung said as she disappeared into the shadows.

"YAH! CHOI SOOYOUNG! YOU'LL PAY FOR LEAVING ME BEHIND!!!" Hyoyeon shouted before sprinting down the stairs.

Five minutes ago in the skies near SM...

"Unni? UNNI!!!" Seohyun shouted trying to get the attention of her sisters, who were gazing at each other and giggling like idiots.

"Huh? What? Oh, what's up SeoBaby?" Yoona, who was holding onto Seohyun, replied, finally looking away from Yuri.

"Umm... I think we overshot SM while a certain angel and a certain demon were too busy staring at each other." Seohyun told her sisters in a reprimanding tone, glaring at them.

"WHAT?!! We did??? Oh crap..." YoonYul both exclaimed at the same time as they quickly made a u-turn back. "It's kinda creepy how they always say the same thing at the same time..."Seohyun thought.

On the ground at about the same time...

"Looks like we're here..." Taeyeon commented as she warped the space around her back to normal. "And is that an angel and a demon?!!" Taeyeon asked Sunny, while she stared at YoonYul, wide-eyed.

Sunny transformed back to her human form and replied: ”Seems like it... What should be do?"

"Let's make friends!" Taeyeon laughed like an ahjumma. Sunny rolled her eyes at her dorky partner and followed behind Taeyeon towards the angel and demon who had just landed with another girl in their arms.

"You two are... Haiz..." Seohyun sighed, unable to think of a word to describe her sisters. Then, she noticed a two girls approaching them. "Looks like she's also another member of the Vanguard, I suppose" Seohyun told her sisters, as they transformed back to their human forms.

"Hi! I'm Taeyeon! Nice to meet you! And you are?" Taeyeon happily greeted Seohyun, hand outstretched for a handshake.

"Hi. I'm Seohyun. Nice to meet you too." Seohyun replied, her face expressionless, while returning the handshake. "And these two are my unnis and weapons, Twin Blades of Eternal Slumber." Seohyun continued, pointing to her sisters.

"Hi! I'm Yoona, Blade of Eternal Bliss. Sweet dreams anyone?" Yoona introduced herself, with an angelic smile.

"Hi! I'm Yuri, Blade of Eternal Pain. Sweet dreams? Nah..." Yuri introduced herself, with a demonic grin.

"Oh, I see! This is Sunny, The Dissonant Blade. She's MY weapon and she's the BEST weapon in the WHOLE world!!!" Taeyeon replied, patting Sunny's .

Sunny stuck her tongue into her cheek and glared at her erted partner, before introducing herself: "Pardon my partner, she's very young, so she can be very immature at times... Anyways, I'm Sunny, The Dissonant Blade, and I'm just an average weapon."

"Aww, come on Sunny, don't be sooo modest, you know you're the BEST!!!" Taeyeon said as she patted Sunny's again, before continuing: "Oh, by the way, Seohyun, was it mean or were your sisters an angel and a demon?"

Before Seohyun could reply, Jessica and Tiffany made an unglamorous entrance into the scene... They were galloping towards SM, when suddenly a bug flew past Tiffany, which caused her to freak out and attempt to incinerate the bug. The sudden flash of the flame scared the horse and it stopped in its tracks immediately and launched its riders into the air in the process. The two poor girls landed in a crumpled heap in between Taeyeon and Seohyun, With Jessica on top of Tiffany, both face down on the grass.

"Ouch... Sica... You're heavy..." Tiffany groaned in pain.

"Omo... I'm so sorry!" Jessica apologised as she got off Tiffany and help the already injured Tiffany up. Seohyun saw that Tiffany and Sunny had injuries and immediately offered to heal them. The two girls agreed, while Taeyeon ran after the escaping horse that still had JeTi's supplies with it.

Seohyun bit her fingers to make them bleed before pressing it against Tiffany's and Sunny's wounds, as her blood was the source of her regenerative powers. Both girls injuries were fully healed within minutes and just in time for Taeyeon's return with the horse.

Just then, they heard someone shouting from the top of SM. Something about a person called Choi Sooyoung... Before anyone could say anything, Sooyoung materialised out of the shadows... with a packet of biscuits in her hand and a mouthful of them in ...

After swallowing, Sooyoung cleared and addressed the group: "Welcome to SM! Surprisingly, all of you made it on time and no one died..." As Sooyoung was about to continue, Hyoyeon finally managed to reach the gates of SM.

"CHOI SOOYOUNG!!! YOU ARE SOOO DEAD!!!" a very pissed off Hyoyeon shouted, as she stomped towards her partner, fist clenched ready to punch Sooyoung.

Sooyoung took a deep breath and used THE deathly glare at Hyoyeon and asked: "Yes, Hyo? I'm not scared of Death you know... After all, he is my father..." Hyoyeon hated that glare, it was like staring at Death in the face.

:"So-Sorry... I-I mean I'll go make breakfast, while you brief the girls..." Hyoyeon stuttered as she made her way to kitchen. Before leaving, she called out to her sister: "Hey, IceSica! Good to see you again! Be a good girl and listen to Sooyoung, or you'll get THE deathly glare from her... And I doubt your icy glare can beat, so don't try if you still want to live."

"Kay, unni! I got it!" Jessica replied, cheerfully as always. Hyoyeon couldn't help but smile at her dongsaeng. Sooyoung ate another handful of biscuits before continuing the breifing.

"Firstly, surrender all your food to me. No one is allowed to snack, besides me because... I say so!" Sooyoung said with a wolfish grin. "Yes, even you Seohyun. No exceptions for relatives." Sooyoung continued. Any complains was swiftly dealt with by THE deathly glare, which Jessica realised her icy glare was no match for.

Seohyun was reduced to tears when Sooyoung took all her sweet potatoes and started eating them at an alarming rate, while continuing the briefing. Seeing this, Sooyoung felt bad and returned the remaining sweet potatoes to Seohyun, which managed to placate her slightly. She also returned the remnants of the food she had confiscated from the others, in the interest of fairness.

She then instructed them to go to their allocated rooms and unpack before coming down to the dining hall for breakfast. As the seven girls walked through the gates of SM, Sooyoung smirked as she thought: "Time for the pranks! Too bad I can't prank YoonYul... Since we had a truce, and all hell will probably break loose if we started playing pranks on each other to get even... Come to think of it, all heaven would break loose as well..."

Sooyoung focused on Jessica's shadow and muttered a word: "Hijack". Unknown to Jessica, her shadow had been hijacked by Sooyoung's shadow...

Five minutes later, outside Sunyeon's room...

"I guess this is our room..." Taeyeon told Sunny as they stood outside a room which was labelled: "Dashins Taeyeon's and Sunny's Room"

Sunny had her tongue stuck in her cheek when she saw the word that was crossed out. "No one ever calls me short! And I have a bad feeling about this... I think we're going to get pranked..." Sunny mentioned to Taeyeon.

"What could possibly go wrong? All the furniture in the room is shorter than normal by ten centimetres to supposedly match our height? Can't be right?" Taeyeon happily replied as she opened the door. As they stepped in to the room, they realised that what Taeyeon had just said, was exactly what happened.

"Hmm... I should go be a psychic... I can predict the future!" Taeyeon said, trying to lift up the mood. Inwardly, she was pissed. Sunny openly expressed her anger, unlike Taeyeon who seemed as calm as always.

"What kind of joke is this... I don't care whether her father is the God of Death or not... She better get us a proper room with proper furniture..." Sunny hissed. For the moment, they just unpacked and washed up quickly. To their surprise, the ten centimetre decrease in height of the furniture was in fact perfect for both of them, but they had to maintain their dignity, and refused to admit the fact. In the end, they decided to conveniently overlook the fact that everything was ten centimetres shorter...

Meanwhile in JeTi's room...

"Fany-ah, I'll go bathe first, help me unpack if you don't mind." Jessica told Tiffany as she stepped into the bathroom. Tiffany agreed happily with that eye smile which caused Jessica's heart to stop beating for a few seconds.

Jessica closed the door and was about to take off her clothes when she felt another presence in the room... She turned around and was shocked to see a person, who looked exactly like her. "Wh-Who are y-you?" Jessica asked

The other Jessica smirked and replied: "I'm your shadow... Well not exactly... But that's not important... Wonder if Tiffany can find out who's the real Jessica?" As she finished her sentence, she walked out of the bathroom and shouted: "Fany-ah there's an imposter in the bathroom, she's pretending to be me! You know I'm real and she's fake right?"

At the same time, the real Jessica stepped out of the bathroom and told Tiffany: "Fany-ah! Don't listen to her, she's fake, I'm real!" Tiffany saw the two Jessicas and was stunned. She thought: "Woah! Two Jessicas and both looking sooo cool! I must be dreaming..." Tiffany pinched herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

"Oww, that hurts! Looks like I'm not dreaming." Tiffany muttered. Seeing this the fake Jessica immediately rushed to Tiffany's side and asked: "Fany-ah, you pabo! Why did you pinch yourself? You know how much it hurts me to see you get hurt? Don't EVER do that again, understand?"

"O-Okay..." Tiffany replied and decided that this Jessica must be the real Jessica. Tiffany then told the real Jessica: "You're the fake! The real Jessica would not have no reaction at all when I get hurt! Who are you and what do you want?"

Jessica, the real one, was taken aback by the fake Jessica's fast response and of Tiffany's accusation. Nevertheless, she was determined to prove to Tiffany that she was the real Jessica. "Burn me! You know the real Jessica won't get burnt. In fact burn the both of us. The fake one would get burnt to ashes." She then looked at the fake Jessica and said: "You dare take the challenge?"

The fake Jessica just smiled and nodded. She walked beside the real Jessica and signalled Tiffany to burn them. Thankfully, Sooyoung had the sense to make JeTi's room fireproof, so nothing was destroyed when Tiffany summoned her power to incinerate the fake Jessica. Or at least attempt to...

"What?!! The fake Jessica can also withstand getting burnt? What sorcery is this?" Tiffany exclaimed. Then she thought of another idea and told the two Jessicas: "Weapon form now! The one who I can soul align with would be the real one!"

The real Jessica just nodded and transformed into her weapon form. The fake Jessica just smiled and said: "Okay, you win. There are limits to how much I can be like my host, one of them is that I can't copy my host's weapon form..." The fake Jessica transformed back into Sooyoung's shadow as she relinquished control of Jessica's shadow and let it rejoin its owner. Sooyoung's shadow bade farewell to JeTi before returning to Sooyoung, who was in the dining hall talking to her cousins.

"That Sooyoung sure has a weird sense of humour..." Tiffany complained to Jessica, as the latter returned to the bathroom to bathe. After a while, when they were ready, they went to the dining hall, where everyone else was already gathered.

Sooyoung stood up to address the crowd: "Hope you guys like your rooms and sorry for the pranks I played on you guys... Just couldn't help it..." She laughed and continued: "Now, enjoy your breakfast and head out to the field to meet your other trainers and begin your training."

And so, they had their breakfast and headed out to the field and were shocked to see who their other trainers were... One thing was sure though... It was just the beginning of a very long journey.