Caramel Coffee (Chapter 6)

The Vanguard of Death

"I WANT THIS HORSE!!!" Jessica shouted, as she jumped up and down, pleading Tiffany to buy the horse that she was pointing at.

Tiffany rolled her eyes at her childish partner and sternly said: "Sica... We can't get travel to SM in a wooden, rocking horse... Besides, aren't you too old for these kind of things? YouARE seventeen this year, right?"

Jessica pouted and using her pleading eyes to persuade Tiffany. "PLEASE!!! The other horses are all so big and scary... And I'm just young at heart, any problem with that?" Jessica replied, throwing a tantrum like a little kid.

Tiffany sighed and thought: "I seriously want to take a HUGE hammer to knock some sense into that head of hers... But she's sooo cute that I can't bear to... Should I just buy it for her?"Tiffany's confidence wavered for a second. "NO! Tiffany Hwang, you must be firm on this! No means no. Jessica has to learn to be practical."

"Jessica..." Tiffany started, as she pinched those cute, little cheeks of her childish partner. "I'm sorry, but we just don't have the money to buy it and we don't have the space to bring it with us. It just isn't practical. What we need is a REAL horse that can help us travel the distance, understand?" Tiffany told Jessica in a kind, gentle tone, which at the same time indicated that there was no room for discussion.

Jessica pouted again and said: "Okay, fine... But I don't know how to ride a horse, and they are all so big and scary..." At the same time she thought: "I know I was being unreasonable to buy a wooden horse... But it was worth a try. Acting childish is just the way I cope with anxiety. I've never travelled so far before, so I'm pretty anxious about it. Fany-ah, sorry if I'm causing you a lot of trouble..."

Tiffany smiled and said: "It's okay, you can ride double with me. I'll protect you. All you need to do is put your hands around my waist and hold on tight." As she said that, Tiffany started imaging the feel of Jessica's arms wrapped around her waist and started smiling even brighter.

The bright smile on Jessica's face told a similar story and she happily replied: "Okay! Let's buy the horse and go!" With that, they bought a horse and climbed on it, with Tiffany getting up first, into the bright pink saddle, before helping Jessica up to sit behind her.

Jessica wrapped her arms around Tiffany's waist, hugging her tight and pressing her body against Tiffany's back. She felt the warmth of Tiffany's body and hoped Tiffany couldn't feel her heart that was beating like crazy.

Meanwhile, Tiffany felt Jessica's arms wrapping around her waist and felt Jessica's body pressing against hers, as Jessica hugged her tight. She could feel the cooling sensation of Jessica's icy aura and Tiffany couldn't help but turn around in the saddle to look at her partner. When their eyes met, they immediately looked away in embarrassment, both blushing and hearts racing.

Finally, Tiffany broke the awkward silence: "Ok...kay... Let's set off!" She tugged on the reins and they galloped off towards SM. Things when smoothly, until the morning of the sixth day...

[Flashback] On the fifth day of JeTi's travel, somewhere else...

"Yes ma'am. I will take care of Jessica, immediately." The lone weapon bowed to her second young mistress, before leaving in search of her target.

[End of flashback] Back to JeTi, who are now at another clearing in the forest, different from the one Sunyeon was at...

By now, Tiffany knew there was only one way to wake Jessica up... She stretched, blinking the sleepiness out of her head and turned to her partner who was still asleep. Tiffany first carried her sleeping partner out of the tent and onto a empty patch of grass nearby. "Here goes nothing..." Tiffany mumbled happily before directing her power at Jessica, completely incinerating the patch of grass around Jessica.

"EEEEP!!!" Jessica shrieked, while Tiffany covered her ears, just in time to prevent herself from being deafened by her partner's ear-piercing screech. "I hate you, Tiffany!" Jessica pouted and crossed her arms as she sat in the middle of the circle of incinerated grass.

Tiffany eye smiled at her cute, childish partner and teased: "Sica... You're smoking hot!!! Literally..." All she got in return was a icy glare that actually caused ice crystals to form on Tiffany's fingertips.

"Never EVER call me hot!!!" Jessica warned her partner, angrily. To Tiffany, however, Jessica's angry expression just made Jessica look like a spoilt child and was irresistibly cute. "Aigoo, Sica... You're SOOO cute even when you're angry!" Tiffany commented, pinching her partner's cheeks softly.

Jessica couldn't stay angry at Tiffany, after all, Tiffany's heavenly eye smile and soft touch was more than enough to melt the icy heart of hers. In fact it might have been enough to melt her icy heart and boil it. To Jessica, Tiffany was THAT hot.

"Jessica unni! It's time for you to meet your end!" An unknown voice shouted. Jessica and Tiffany looked up in surprise, with Tiffany instinctively moving in front of Jessica to shield her from the attacker. Jessica, however, was shocked when she recognized the person who was attacking them.

"Krystal? Is that you? I missed you so much! Why do you want to kill me?" Jessica asked, puzzled why her little sister wanted to kill her.

"I have to. My second young mistress has ordered me to." Krystal replied her sister, before summoning her crystalline aura, that caused crystal shards to swirl around her. With a shout, she charged at Jessica, with her arm turning into a scythe.

Tiffany, immediately summoned her power and directed it at Krystal, who deftly jumped away, and continued charging on. "Jessica, weapon form now!!!" Tiffany shouted, as Krystal was getting dangerously close, with the crystal shards that were swirling around Krystal, starting to cut into Tiffany's skin.

Galvanized into action, Jessica transformed into her weapon form in a flash of shining blue. Tiffany caught her weapon and brought it up to block the scythe attack, with the shaft of the spear. Krystal attacked continuously, but her motions were becoming slower, due to Jessica's icy aura.

Tiffany stood her ground, she knew that Krystal was someone important to Jessica and did not want to hurt Krystal. She asked: "Who are you and how are you related to Jessica?"

"I'm Jessica's dongsaeng, Krystal, The Crystalline Scythe." Krystal replied before muttering one word: "Crystallize" and slammed her scythe arm into the ground. Immediately, a conical crystal shard rose out of the ground, under Tiffany's feet. Tiffany just managed to jump out of the way.

"Why do you have to obey your second young mistress? Can't you leave her and reunite with your sister? No one needs to get hurt..." Tiffany asked, hoping a peaceful resolution could be attained.

"No I can't disobey her. She is very powerful, and the only way to see my sister for one last time before either of us leaves this world behind, is this." Krystal said with tinge of sadness. Krystal, not giving Tiffany any respite, shouted: "SOUL RESONANCE!!! Crystal Storm!!!"

As soon as those words left , she slammed her scythe arm into the ground again, but this time crystal shards, the size of huge icicles, erupted from the ground and flew towards Tiffany. Tiffany barely had time to summon her power to incinerate some of the crystal shards that were flying at her, but she still got hit by a few. Tiffany exclaimed in pain, as she was cut in the upper arms and thighs.

Jessica could not stand seeing Tiffany get hurt. She didn't care if Krystal was her beloved little sister or not, she just knew that there was a person trying to hurt her dearest Tiffany. "Tiffany, soul align with me and we can get rid of her once and for all." Jessica shouted to Tiffany. Jessica thought: "That's not Krystal. Krystal will never do that."

Krystal smiled to herself and thought: "Sorry, unni. I have to do this to make the both of you stronger. It hurts my heart to do this to you. I'll make it up to you someday... I hope..."

"But, she's YOUR sister. We shouldn't kill her, we should try to get her back." Tiffany said, feeling faint as she was losing a fair amount of blood.

"There's no other choice. JUST DO IT!" Jessica shouted, holding back her tears. Tiffany could feel the sadness in Jessica's voice and knew that Jessica didn't want to kill her own sister either, but she knew that there was no other way.

Tiffany tightened her grip on her weapon and shouted: "Screech of the Chilling Spear, SOUL ALIGN!!!" Both Jessica and Tiffany felt their souls coming together, fire and ice, coalescing into one entity of chilling heat. A connection formed between them and one word appeared in Tiffany's mind.

Tiffany pointed her spear at Krystal shouted the word: "Freeze!" Instantly, Krystal was frozen solid, the water in her body, freezing into icicles, jutting out of her body in all angles, killing her instantly. As she fell to the ground, the ice melted and Jessica turned back to her human form and ran up to her fallen sister, crying.

Tiffany, on the other hand, collapsed, fainting from the loss of blood. Krystal's body shimmered brightly and turned translucent, then to Jessica's surprise, she sat up and said: "Go tend to your partner's wounds first, my second young mistress will let us have enough time to talk after that.

After Jessica tended to Tiffany's wounds, Tiffany woke up, saw Jung sisters looking at her and asked: "Am I dreaming?" Jessica, relieved that Tiffany was okay, hugged her tightly, whispering: "No, you're not dreaming. And I'm so glad you're okay!"

Krystal smiled and said: "Let me explain myself... Well, after Hyoyeon unni left us, I met a guy who I fell in love with, and I thought he loved me too. I thought I was his destined weapon, as he could soul align with me perfectly, but he was actually just a very powerful weapon user who could align with most weapons. Not knowing that, I bade Jessica and our parents farewell and left to join him to travel around. He was very nice to me, he even taught me to defend myself and use my powers on my own. He said I was gifted, as not all weapons could use their powers without their users. It was a happy time, but it ended soon after. Once I was powerful enough, he killed me with his destined weapon. His destined weapon, The Chameleon Dagger, had the ability to absorb the souls of strong weapons and then transform into them at will..."

"So, you're dead?!!" Jessica asked, disbelieving what she just heard. "If you're really dead... then why can we see you?"

Krystal smiled again and replied: "Yes, I'm dead. I was angry at that guy for betraying me and wanted to get my revenge, so I was unable to cross over to my afterlife. As a result, I have been spending the rest of the time since then, mainly watching you and Hyoyeon unni. Then, yesterday, my second young mistress, who you'll be meeting in the near future, summoned me to fight you two as a test. Congratulations, Tiffany! You've passed the test with Jessica, as you showed your compassion and sensitivity to your partner and your fighting capabilities. For the test, I was revived temporarily for seventy-two hours, but since you "killed" me, I reverted back to being a soul, however, thanks to my second young mistress, I could remain visible to you two for a while to say my goodbyes and my time is up. I have to go now... Hope to see you again..." With that Krystal disappeared, leaving a stunned Jessica and Tiffany.

Jessica and Tiffany both stared at each other, not knowing what to do. Then, they decided that they should just continue on towards SM. After packing up their belongings, they got on the horse and rode off.

In the wind, Jessica heard a voice: "I would love to drink the caramel coffee, the one you used to make for me every morning, just one more time..." Jessica smiled, knowing Krystal was watching her from where ever she was...