By Myself (Chapter 1)

The Vanguard of Death

It was time to move on. She knew she had to, but she did not want to. It's been five years, five long and really painful years, it was time to let go. With a sigh and a single tear flowing down her cheek, Sooyoung summoned her power. Her clothes shimmered and changed into a hooded cloak, very much like the Grim Reaper's hooded cloak. Her flesh and blood dissolving into the unknown, only her skeleton remained. Transformation complete, she entered the realm of the dead.

The spirits who were still roaming the earth, unable to move on for whatever reason, all turned to look at her. They awaited the orders of the Maiden of Death, the second daughter of the God of Death. Sooyoung, waved the spirits away, indicating that their assistance were not required, while scanning their faces for the one spirit which had caused her five years of pain.

He saw her transform and cross the boundary, after all he was always watching her. He knew that today was goodbye, but nevertheless, he smiled and walked to her, lightly tapping her on the shoulder to get her attention.

"Sooyoungie, annyeong! I missed you so much!", said the spirit as he gave his girlfriend a back hug. "Oppa, annyeong... I missed you too... But today you have to move on, I'm going to let you go... I'm go...go...going to forget about you, so that I can concentrate in finding and training the next Vanguard..." Sooyoung said, feeling like a complete wreck. Tears flowed down freely, as she turned to face him and hug him.

"Sooyoungie, I understand, besides I'm going to a better place and I'll be waiting for you there, forever", the spirit replied, smiling. Wiping off her tears, she realised she didn't have any, since she WAS a skeleton and skeletons don't have tear glands... "Love sure makes one do stupid things, I guess..." Sooyoung thought.

"Oppa, this is goodbye then, may you have a blessed afterlife and make sure you wait for me! After all, you promised to be with me for eternity and beyond!" Sooyoung said, trying to force a smile, and realising again that skeletons can't exactly smile either... "Why can't I ever function properly when he's around..." Sooyoung thought, making a mental point to remember all the things skeletons can't do.

He chuckled, noticing Sooyoung reprimanding herself for forgetting that she was in skeleton form again. Then he replied: "Goodbye, Sooyoungie, I'll wait for you for eternity if I have to. Promise me you'll live happily without me, until the day we can be together?" Sooyoung nodded: "I promise".

Following, she put her skeletal hand on his forehead and whispered the enchantment: "O wondering spirit on this earth, with the power bestowed upon me as the Maiden of Death, I hereby release you from the bonds tying you to this world." As soon, as Sooyoung said the last word of the enchantment, bright light engulf the spirit and in a flash he disappeared, leaving Sooyoung all alone... By Herself...

Hyoyeon, Sooyoung's trusted partner, waited patiently as her partner finished saying her final goodbyes, knowing very well how close the two of them were. As she saw Sooyoung turning back to her human form, she gave Sooyoung her brightest smile and embraced her. "My dearest Shikshin, we have more important things to do now, you must stay strong, like you always have." Hyoyeon said.

Wiping of her tears and straightening her back, Sooyoung smiled back at her partner and replied: "Yeah, I'm okay. In fact, I'm HUNGRY!!! But finding the three is more important, let's move out. Weapon form now." Hyoyeon laughed, knowing Sooyoung was back to normal again, and did a back flip while transforming into a scythe of pure white. Sooyoung caught her weapon, The Hypnotic Scythe, as it spun over her head in midair. As soon as she did so, the pair dissolved into the shadows...

Meanwhile at another location at about the same time...

"WITCH!!!" Someone shouted, finger pointing at young girl, aged 18. As her anger subsided, she stared wide-eyed at the smouldering pile of ashes that used to be a guy, who was calling her names, just a second ago. "Omo, what have I done?" Tiffany thought, as she tried to recall how she induced the irritating guy to spontaneously combust. Hiding amongst the trees, Tiffany's secret admirer thought: "EEEP!!! She's SOOOO HOT!!! LITERALLY!!!"

The same location a few minutes ago...

"Hey crybaby! Why aren't you crying anymore? Aren't you sad your mum left you, cause you're a weirdo? WEIRDO!!!" Bill taunted, as he saw Tiffany sitting alone, by herself, reading a pink-coloured book. For Tiffany, that was the last straw and she shouted: "INSULT ME ALL YOU WANT, BUT DON'T EVER INSULT MY MOTHER, YOU JERK!!!" Then, her vision turned red and that bully was engulfed in white-hot flames...

Back to the current time...

"So that's what happened... But how did I just do that?" Tiffany thought, surprising herself, as much as the onlookers. Then someone shouted: "WITCH!!!" and everyone started advancing towards her. What happened next, happened in a blink of an eye, no one saw it coming, until it happened...

The crowd advanced towards her and attempted to restrain her, so that they could hand her over to the authorities, who will probably burn her at a stake. Years later, Tiffany would look back at this event and laugh. Burn the controller of flames? Pretty ironic. But at that point in time, she just panicked and as the people tied her hands and legs up, she screamed: "LET ME GO!!! I'M NOT A WITCH!!! I DON'T WANNA DIE!!!" And that tingling sensation returned, her vision turning red, and in a flash, the entire group of villagers went up in flames, literally.

Looking at the smouldering pile of ashes around her, Tiffany buried her face in her hands, muttering: "What have I done?" "You've taught them a good lesson, not to mess with you!" a voice said. Looking up, Tiffany saw a gor-jess girl, with blond hair tied into two ponytails, a cute smile, and radiated an icy aura around her. Tiffany shivered uncontrollably.

"Count yourself lucky, most people get frozen solid the moment they look at me in the eye!" the girl said with a joyous tone. Tiffany was just no in the mood to joke around. "Please leave me alone." Tiffany replied as she turned away. Blatantly ignoring Tiffany, the girl rambled on: "Girl, you're sooo freaking hot! I've been stalking you for a while and I think I'm in love with you!"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" Tiffany shouted, her sense tingling and her vision turning red. "EEEP!!! Don't burn me! I still want to live the rest of my life with you!" the girl shrieked, letting lose a shriek that would make a dolphin proud. Her icy aura protected her from the flames, but the girl still felt like she nearly melted.

"Omo, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to try to burn you. Are you okay?" Tiffany asked, concerned. "Yeah, I'm fine, but I think I nearly melted... Oh and I'm Jessica, Screech of the Chilling Spear, nice to meet you!" Jessica replied, smiling. "Oh, so you're a weapon? I'm Tiffany" Tiffany said, smiling back. "Finally someone who doesn't despise me. On top of that she's pretty cool too." Tiffany thought, and smiled again as she realised that Jessica was literally "cool". "Can I be your weapon? I would give anything to see those enchanting eye smiles of yours!" Jessica asked.

"You, my weapon? Sure, no problem, I guess I need you around to keep my flames in check, eh? Tiffany agreed, flashing Jessica another of her eye smiles. "YAY!!! And I need you be the warmth in my icy world! We're gonna be the BEST partners, forever!!!" Jessica exclaimed, hugging Tiffany tight. "This is going to be the start of a great partnership" both girls thought, as they hugged each other.

Then, to the horror of the two girls, something materialised out of Tiffany's shadow...