Wake Up (Chapter 19)

The Vanguard of Death

"Taeyeon... Why..." Tiffany asked, as Taeyeon removed her sword from Tiffany's chest, letting Tiffany fall to the ground in a pool of blood.

"Why? That's a good question... Heehee..." Taeyeon giggled, as she wiped the blood of her sword. From behind Taeyeon, Seohyun's blood flowed slowly towards Tiffany's body, mixing with Tiffany's blood and slowly entering Tiffany's body, taking over it. "This is interesting... Let's see what you can do, Seohyun unni...." Taeyeon mumbled, her expression serious as she raised her sword up in a defensive stance.

Taeyeon felt the air around her tingle and just managed to jump out of the way as a column of flames erupted from the spot she was standing at a second ago. The flames then turned into hell flames that took the shape of three phoenixes: one blue, one white and one black. Tiffany was now standing up and walking over to Seohyun's body, while the phoenixes encircled Taeyeon, preparing to burn Taeyeon into ashes.

The rest were still unsure of how to react to the situation and Sooyoung was missing, so they suspected that Sooyoung must be up to no good again, thus they decided to wait for the Goddess of Death to reappear before taking any action. Meanwhile, Tiffany's eye colour had changed to blood red and a rune had appeared on her neck, which read: Blood Puppet.

With a bloodcurdling screech, the phoenixes charged towards Taeyeon and attempted to unleash hell's fury upon her. With her lightning fast reflexes, Taeyeon managed to warp the space around her such that the flames would follow the curvature of the warped space and harmlessly pass over her, allowing her to escape from a fiery demise.

At the same time, Tiffany carried Seohyun's head and placed it against the rest of Seohyun's body, where it should belong. Immediately, a pink glow engulfed the location where her head met her body and Seohyun opened her eyes. "That's much better..." Seohyun mumbled weakly, as her blood that was flowing in Tiffany's body flowed back into her own body. Seohyun experimentally flexed her joints to check if anything else was broken as she stood up. Satisfied that she was perfectly fine, she turned to face Taeyeon. Tiffany's body, on the other hand, returned to being a lifeless object that laid on the ground, completely still.

"Seohyun unni, I'm amazed! When did to learn to do that and how the you remained alive?" Taeyeon inquired.

"You don't need to know that... Because you'll be DEAD in a few seconds." Seohyun shouted as she slowly walked up to Taeyeon, rage apparent in her eyes. "Brain Haemorrhage." Seohyun whispered and Taeyeon instantly passed out.

In a flash of yellow light, Sunny transformed back into her human form and knelt next to Taeyeon's still body to check for any signs of life, to no avail. Holding back her tears, she stood up and confronted Seohyun: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY BYUNTAENG?!!"

"Nothing much... I just ruptured all the blood vessels in her brain for murdering Tiffany and attempting to murder me... Come to think of it, maybe I should rupture yours too, since you didn't try to stop Taeyeon... After all I still have some of my blood in you after that time I healed you when we just met." Seohyun replied nonchalantly, her glare full of hatred. Everyone else who was healed by Seohyun before gulped nervously as they made a mental note to never cross Seohyun. "But I won't because this is all just an illusion and Tiffany unni and Taeyeon aren't actually dead... Right, Sooyoung unni?" Seohyun questioned aloud.

"That's right!" Sooyoung replied as she stepped out of the shadows and the surroundings returned to normal with the sun brightening up everything as usual. Everyone returned to the positions they were at just before the darkness took over, even Tiffany and Taeyeon were still perfectly alive. Tiffany had a puzzled look on her face, while Taeyeon playfully hid behind Tiffany, who happened to be standing in between her and Seohyun, acted scared and complained: "Tiffany unni... Seohyun unni is sooo scary..."

"What happened? I'm alive?" Tiffany questioned, completely ignoring the maknae, causing Taeyeon to pout in mock anger. Sunny just smiled at her partner's dorky attitude and wrapped her arms around Taeyeon's waist. Taeyeon smiled as well when she felt the warmth of Sunny's body pressed against her back.

"Yes you're alive, but you seriously need to WAKE UP!!!" Sooyoung emphasized, her expression turned serious as she continued her lecture: "Seohyun had one second to react to Taeyeon's attack, you had a FULL five seconds, but what did you do? You let yourself get killed, while Seohyun managed to survive the attack and retaliate, eventually defeating Taeyeon. Though I must say... That was a pretty scary attack... Remind me never to let you heal me... Oh wait... I'm a goddess... I can heal myself!"

Everyone laughed at Sooyoung's little joke, with the exception of Tiffany who's head was bowed down in shame. "I'm sorry... I'll keep my guard up at all times from now on." Tiffany told Sooyoung in a confident tone.

"That's good. Remember some enemies may take control of one of you and turn that person against the rest, so don't assume that if a friend rushes towards you, you're safe. However, don't let that make you suspicious of everyone around you, instead you girls should keep alert for any sign of danger. Understood?" Sooyoung reminded the girls. The three of them nodded their heads indicating that they understood and Sooyoung added on: "By the way, how did Seohyun ever realise that it was an illusion?"

"An illusion is the manipulation of one's mind to make one think that something is happening when it actually isn't. That makes an illusion not much different from a dream and being a daughter of the God of Sleep, I can innately detect illusions. I discovered this when I was battling with my weapons that I always managed to realise that I was under an illusion at the last minute." Seohyun replied.

"Ah I see... Since when could you use those techniques?" Sooyoung inquired.

"Let's see... First, when Taeyeon beheaded me, I was still alive for a second before the blood in my brain was drained, so making use of this split second, I sent blood from the rest of my body to my brain so that I would not die." Seohyun started her explanation.

"For the blood puppet technique, I realised I could do that when I was meditating one day, I could feel my blood flowing in the other girls and whenever my blood reaches their brains, I could feel their thoughts and emotions and all of a sudden the words: 'Blood Puppet' appeared in my head. Once I uttered that word, I realised I had taken control of Taeyeon, who happened to be walking by my room. Don't worry, I just made you help me get a cup of water and released control of you once I controlled you to walk back to where you were before I took control." Seohyun assured Taeyeon that she did not make her do anything funny. Taeyeon trusted Seohyun and told Seohyun not to worry about it. Sunny on the other hand, was more suspicious but she did not take any action as Taeyeon told her not to be overprotective.

"As for the brain haemorrhage technique, you all know that I have already mastered control over my blood, so I can make it do whatever I want. The technique is just controlling my blood to force its way out of the blood vessels in the brain, as simple as that." Seohyun ended off with a smile.

"Seohyun sure is creepy... How can she smile so sweetly when she has just explained how she burst every single blood vessel in my brain and say that it was very simple to do so..."Taeyeon thought, shivering slightly. Following, Taeyeon ran behind Sooyoung and whispered: "Seohyun unni is sooo creepy... I'm scared of her..."

Sooyoung laughed as she turned around to face the maknae. "Taeyeon-ah, don't worry, Sooyoung unni will protect you from creepy Seohyun, okay? So don't be scared." Sooyoung told Taeyeon as she gave Taeyeon a light peck on the forehead and hugged Taeyeon briefly. "Oh and Sunny, your murderous intent is overwhelming. Not a good idea when you're up against someone who can sense the intent to cause death..." Sooyoung informed Sunny after releasing Taeyeon from her embrace.

Sunny could only grit her teeth in anger, as she knew she was no match for a goddess. Angrily, she pulled Taeyeon behind her and glared at Sooyoung, before she turned to Taeyeon and said: "You have me to protect you, you don't need her."

"Oooh... Looks like someone is jealous!" Taeyeon teased, giggling slightly.

"YAH! I'm being serious here! You're my byuntaeng, not hers!" Sunny said in an angry tone and pouted.

"Heehee... I know! Don't worry, I won't fall for someone who is nearly old enough to be my mum!" Taeyeon replied with a smile.

"Of course you won't." Sunny answered, finally smiling again. After which, she turned around and stuck her tongue out at Sooyoung, who just rolled her eyes and acted like she did not care. Deep down, she was hurt and she thought: "So you just think I'm a motherly figure... After all the care and concern I gave to you... How could you..."

"But Sooyoung unni will always have a special place in my heart. For she is THE BEST unni ever!" Taeyeon added on, smiling widely. Upon hearing that Sooyoung felt much better, while Sunny felt the opposite.

"What about me?" Sunny questioned, pouting cutely.

"You're THE BEST girlfriend ever!" Taeyeon replied before surprising Sunny with a bear hug and a peck on her lips. The stunned Sunny could only grin foolishly as she looked into the eyes of the person who had stolen her heart.

Sooyoung felt a twinge of jealousy as she wondered what her boyfriend was now doing in Paradise. "Probably thinking of me..." Sooyoung thought with a smile, as she recalled the good memories she had with him.

"Sooyoung unni! Why are you laughing to yourself?" Taeyeon asked, her eyes full of curiosity. The others were all looking at her with puzzled looks on their faces, only Hyoyeon knew what Sooyoung was thinking about.

"I... Err..." Sooyoung stammered as she racked her brains to think of an explanation that did not sound as embarrassing as the truth. Luckily for her, her partner came to her rescue.

"She must be thinking about the delicious meal we had just now. She's being talking about it the whole time as we walked to the entrance of the village where you girls were fending off the group of demonic animals. Right Sooyoung?" Hyoyeon explained on behalf of her partner.

"Ya, that's it! I'm always thinking about food! Heehee..." Sooyoung grinned sheepishly and silently nodded her thanks to her quick thinking partner. Hyoyeon smiled in return and mouthed the words: "No problem."

"Well let's get going! I want to get to the next village as quick as possible. After all an inn has nicer food than dry rations!" Sooyoung exclaimed cheerfully as she commanded everyone to start jogging towards their next destination, while she happily jumped from shadow to shadow in anticipation of the good food at the next village.

At a castle somewhere else...

"Foolish and incompetent guy! Which idiot would go against the Vanguard of Death head on?!! He deserves to be dead and why did I ever believe that he could help me wipe them out?!! Mark my words, Choi Sooyoung... One day, you will wake up and find that everything that is precious to you is gone, just like how my predecessor killed your boyfriend and your sister. Now I'll slaughter the short and cute one first, followed by your dear cousins to fulfil my predecessor's last wish..." The evil mastermind vowed.