Not Alone (Chapter 23)

The Vanguard of Death

"WHAT?!!" Everyone, but Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon, shouted after the Vanguard of Death received the message from Sooyoung's shadow and read it in front of everyone, including the other trainers and the running demons.

"Byuntaeng-ah, aren't you surprised at all?" Sunny asked, puzzled as to why Taeyeon looked as though as she knew it all along.

"Nope, I'm not. I knew it all along... Every single time Sooyoung unni got pregnant, even though she can put everyone under the illusion that her tummy was as flat as usual, she couldn't mask the presence of her foetus's soul. That's how I knew she was pregnant every single time!" Taeyeon replied, flashing her toothy, dorky smile.

"Then why didn't you tell us? Or just me..." Sunny questioned, hurt that her partner had kept a secret from her.

"Well... Sooyoung unni asked me not to tell anyone as she wanted to surprise everyone and she promised that if I did so she would teach me how to touch your without you knowing..." Taeyeon replied, giggling slightly at the last part.

"WHAT?!!" Sunny shouted, staring at her partner and her trainer with a look of utter disbelief. Sooyoung looked elsewhere and started whistling, while Taeyeon still had her signature smile on her face, looking as innocent as a baby. "So how many times have you touched my without me knowing?" Sunny asked after she calmed down slightly.

"Turns out Sooyoung unni lied to me..." Taeyeon told Sunny before glaring at Sooyoung, who was still whistling away. "So I punished her!" Taeyeon continued, her smile returning to her face.

"You punished a goddess?!!" Sunny exclaimed, her eyes wide in shock.

"Yup! I did! This is how..." Tayeon started.

[Flashback Start]

"Wonder why Sooyoung unni keeps changing topic when I ask her when she will teach me how to touch Sunny's without her knowing... I think it's time to find out the assassin way..." Taeyeon thought as the group was preparing to retire for the day. With the thought in her mind, Taeyeon went into assassin mode and snuck into Sooyoung's tent to find the goddess fast asleep.

"Way of the Assassin. Path of Interrogation." Taeyeon whispered as she placed her hand on Sooyoung's forehead. At the point of contact, Sooyoung's dream of her boyfriend and her eating lots of good food together, turned into a void with an evil and scary looking Taeyeon in front of her.

"Oh crap..." Sooyoung mumbled when she realised that she was trapped in Taeyeon's illusion and that she could not do anything to break out of the illusion, as this illusion puts her soul in an extremely unstable state, so any wrong move could cause her soul to be shredded.

"Baby Taeng-ah... Let's have a nice talk... Is there a need for you to do this?" Sooyoung asked, swallowing nervously.

"Just admit it... You lied to me about teaching me how to touch Sunny's without her knowing..." Taeyeon told Sooyoung in a deadly serious tone as she closed the gap between herself and the goddess.

Sooyoung gulped involuntarily and took a deep breath before admitting: "Y-Y-Yes... But I didn't know how to convince you to keep my secret, other than this..."

"You could have just said the word 'please'... But you lied to me instead... To think I admired you as my role model... You've hurt me badly and you'll pay for that..." Taeyeon told Sooyoung in an ominous tone.

"Thousands Years of Pain!!!" Taeyeon shouted as she clasped her hands together, index and middle fingers of both hands extended, and dashed behind Sooyoung before ramming her fingers up the hole at Sooyoung's behind, extremely hard. Sooyoung screamed in completely agony, rubbing her own in a useless attempt to lessen the pain, while Taeyeon laughed evilly before releasing Sooyoung from the illusion and returning to her tent.

Sooyoung knew she was in the wrong so she decided not to get back at Taeyeon for that sneaky attack and quietly apologized to Taeyeon when she saw Taeyeon making breakfast, the next day. Taeyeon gracefully accepted Sooyoung's apology and offered to check if Sooyoung's was okay. Sooyoung politely declined the offer initially, but after she saw the evil glint in Taeyeon's eyes, she reluctantly agreed and let Taeyeon her under the pretence of checking if her was okay.

[End of Flashback]

"So that's how I punished Sooyoung!" Taeyeon finished and laughed in delight, recalling the joy of punishing Sooyoung. Sooyoung, on the other hand, absentmindedly rubbed her , squinting slightly in pain as she recalled the agonizing ordeal she went through.

Everyone else could only gawk in astonishment and reminded themselves never to cross Taeyeon. EVER. Some wondered whether it was worse to anger Taeyeon or Seohyun, but one thing was clear... No one wanted to find it out the hard way...

"Anyways, I'm kinda exhausted from using my assassin skills, so I'm just going to take a nap..." Taeyeon informed the rest before collapsing into a deep sleep. Thankfully, Sunny was there to catch her before she hit the ground.

"May we know how you did it, Sooyoung unni?" Seohyun politely asked, curious to know more. All eyes were now on Sooyoung and she took a deep breath before beginning her explanation.

"Well... When I became the Goddess of Death, I decided to have a mini celebration with my then boyfriend, so that night while the rest of you were sleeping, I went to Paradise to find him. We had a candlelight supper and in the middle of it he proposed to me and I obviously accepted. We then decided to get married immediately but there was no one to witness it, so I woke Hyoyeon up and dragged her to Paradise, before asking her to be our witness and she agreed. After that, Hyoyeon went back to sleep and we had our first night together, which was how I got pregnant the first time. Following, I popped back to Paradise occasionally and on some nights we made love which resulted in me getting pregnant two more times. My first child, Sungmin, is four years old already and my second child, Jo Kwon is two years old. My husband is now taking care of the two kids and we are planning to name our third child, Onew. Yeah, that's all that happened, no questions will be taken." Sooyoung finished her explanation just as Taeyeon woke up from her nap.

"What did I miss?" Taeyeon inquired as she yawned lazily, stretching her arms. "Ahh... That was a good nap! Sunny you're such a nice bed!" Taeyeon added on before planting a kiss on Sunny's cheek, causing Sunny to blush.

Before Sooyoung could reply, both Taeyeon and her expressions turned serious as their senses went on high alert. They looked at each other before simultaneously warning the rest: "We're not alone..." With that, Sooyoung dismissed the running demons and the Vanguard of Death prepared for battle, while the others went up into the clouds to observe the incoming battle.

A voice rang out through the area: "Here's my little present for you!" It was followed by a reverberating evil laughter that stopped abruptly as the entire area was filled with undead humans and animals.

"This is not good... I can't sense any souls at all anymore... These are animated corpses... My assassin skills and Sunny's powers are all targeted at the souls of the enemy, so I'm practically useless... I can only rely on my swordfighting skills..." Taeyeon whispered to her comrades, in a worried tone. Nevertheless, she charged at the nearest undead and started hacking away. "We have to chop off their heads! Doing anything else can't stop them!" Taeyeon warned, once she realised the fact.

"Erm... Tiffany unni... The runes on their body allow them to be completely immune to any type of fire, including hell flames and immune to ice as well... So you're attacks won't work as well... Not even your fire clones, since they are flames regardless of what shape they take. My weapons' powers won't work either since they are illusion based and since the corpses don't have any brains, illusions can't work on them, for the illusions work by tricking the brain into thinking that something is happening to the body and once the brain believes in it, it will really happen to the body." Seohyun informed the other girls.

"Oh great, so we can only rely on our weapon fighting skills and Seohyun's regeneration to keep us alive..." Tiffany muttered as she sliced off the head of yet another undead.

The battle raged on for hours but the end was no where in sight as there was still a massive amount of undead left. The girls were completely exhausted and Seohyun was doubly drained from having to heal the three of them at the same time. Their backs were pressed against each other's as they made use of the brief respite to regain some of their energy, while the other undead trudged slowly over the bodies of their fallen comrades.

Unfortunately, Seohyun collapsed out of exhaustion and Tiffany was caught off guard in the split second of surprise due to Seohyun passing out. And so Tiffany fell unconscious, blood flowing out of the huge gash across her abdomen. Taeyeon was left alone fending off the whole horde of undead and soon she was unable to keep it up, resulting in her getting struck down.

The undead let out a triumphant roar as they prepared to lay the final blows to end the lives of the three unconscious girls. Seeing this, Sooyoung was prepared to go down to save them, but Seohyun suddenly stood up and blocked off the killing blows. Looking closely, Sooyoung realised Seohyun's eyes were still closed and Sooyoung smiled to herself as she thought: "So this is the Sleep Fighting skill that only the successor of the God of Sleep will inherit..."

Yuri and Yoona smiled inwardly as they knew that Seohyun was going to become the Goddess of Sleep but still felt a tinge of jealousy that they were not the chosen ones. Meanwhile, Jessica and Sunny had changed back to their human forms and tried to stop their partners from bleeding to death.

While she was in deep sleep, Seohyun's fighting skill improved by a hundred times and within minutes she had singlehandedly killed off thousands of undead. Each strike dealt was a killing strike. However, she woke up before she before she had defeated all the undead. She was surprised at the carnage she caused and barely managed to fend off the surprise attack from another undead.

From above the clouds, Sooyoung saw that the other two girls were dying soon and she knew that she had to do something about that, so she shouted to Seohyun: "SEOHYUN!!! Go heal Taeyeon and Tiffany! I'll take care of the undead!" Seohyun nodded her thanks and quickly rushed to her fallen comrades side and begin to heal them.

"Here goes nothing..." Sooyoung mumbled, before she transformed into her goddess form and shouted: "DIVINE INERVENTION!!! GUILLOTINE!" Instantly, guillotines rose up from the ground trapping every single remaining undead and beheading them faster than anyone could shout: "Taeyeon is the definition of cute"

The deed done, Sooyoung finally relaxed a little, but she knew the final battle was near as she knew the evil voice and the owner of the soul she and Taeyeon had sensed earlier on belonged to the evil mastermind, who was behind all of this. Nevertheless, she had more important things to take care of at that moment, one of which was to make sure Taeyeon and Tiffany were okay.

Once that was done the group set off once again, determined to put an end to all of this. When they finally reached the castle of the evil mastermind another four months had passed and Sooyoung had just given birth to her third child, Onew.

The gate to the castle was open and the castle was completely quiet. The group proceeded with caution as they entered the castle. However, no sooner did they enter the gates, they were trapped in an illusion and they were not alone...

The surroundings were completely different and standing in front of them was a pretty woman with fox-like features and nine tails, with an orb in her hand, a women wielding two daggers, with many more in her belt pockets and a skeleton dressed in an elaborate robe...