Checkmate (Chapter 25)

The Vanguard of Death

All of the past evil masterminds were fallen angels, angels which have turned to the dark side and dabbled with demonic magic that was beyond the control of even the gods themselves. The magic changed their appearances and personalities so drastically to the point that it takes over them, but there was only one thing that was worse than fallen angels... A feral demon...

 

At the beginning of time itself, demons ran wild and free, laying waste to wherever they resided, whenever they pleased. They were born with the ability to control the darkest of all magic that even the gods could not control or counter. Long, bloody battles were waged between the demons and the gods, who were backed up by the angels. Eventually, managed to tame the demons and lock their dark side away from their conscious mind.

 

Of course, this dark side only applies to trueborn demons, whose ancestors were all demons. Demons who had gods as an ancestor or were mortals before they were granted immortality and turned into a demon, do not have a dark side and cannot control dark magic. So demons like Yuri and Yonghwa do not have a dark side.

 

So that's how now all the demons work for the gods and goddesses, but a feral demon is a demon which managed to unlock his or her dark side and unlike fallen angels who get controlled by the dark magic, a feral demon is in full control of the dark magic, which makes a feral demon so much more dangerous than fallen angels... And now, one was standing in front of the girls...

 

The feral demon looked exactly like any other demon, except that it had two pairs of wings, instead of one, and its tail, instead of the arrow tip that normal demons have, ended in a lethally sharp scythe that could rip through flesh and soul alike. The feral demon radiated an aura of fear and confusion, but the girls barely managed to stay focused, for they had been trained to counter such auras, though never for one of this strength.

 

With a loud cackle, the feral demon unmasked his soul and let the full force of the soul be felt. Behind the feral demon, his castle crumbled to dust after the full force of his soul slammed into it like a lead cannonball against a sandcastle. Around him, anything that was within thirty kilometres was flattened, leaving him and the girls standing on a barren piece of land.

 

And the only reason that the girls were still standing was Taeyeon, for she had unmasked her own soul and manipulated the full force of her soul to absorb the impact from the feral demon's soul. She was barely able to prevent their premature deaths and the three of them were pushed back by nearly a kilometre. Following, Seohyun unmasked her own soul and helped to push back the feral demon's soul to prevent it from crushing them and Tiffany did so as well soon after.

 

Taeyeon was starting to feel dizzy and extremely weak, for she had absorbed the initial impact that had actually disintegrated her soul but she was holding the fragments together with sheer willpower and resolve to protect her comrades. Nevertheless, she knew she had to put up a strong front so that they would not get more demoralized than they already were.

 

"Byuntaeng... Your soul has..." Sunny whispered to Taeyeon mentally, unable to say the last word.

 

"I know... But I have to hold on for the rest... Don't tell the others, our morale doesn't need to get any lower... Let's just kick some for one last time..." Taeyeon replied sadly, through their mental link.

 

Before Taeyeon could shout out any encouragements and charge into battle like she always did, the feral demon spoke up: "Sooyoung never told you the last line of the prophecy... Did she ever tell you that the Vanguard of Death shall cease to exist after the reappearance of a feral demon that shall cause the world to burn in flames of pure sorrow? She lied to you three and sent you to your deaths! That's all she wants, she wants you three to be dead, for she gains more power for every death that occurs! Ask her if you don't believe me! Go on! I'm not stopping you..."

 

"That may be true, but we have nothing to lose anymore... Since we are going to die anyways, we might as well bring you down with us! Right girls?" Taeyeon retorted, eyes blazing with the grim determination of someone who was already prepared to die. Tiffany and Seohyun hesitated, for they were still unprepared to die.

 

"RIGHT GIRLS?!!" Taeyeon shouted, glaring at her comrades. Seeing the look in Taeyeon's eyes, the girls were galvanised into action, any fear of death pushed to the rear of their mind as they prepared to bring down the feral demon at any cost. Taeyeon smiled bitterly and unleashed Lightning Dissonance in an attempt to bring down the evil mastermind.

 

"You know... Even light can't escape a black hole, right?" The feral demon sniggered before creating a black hole to Taeyeon into a point of singularity. Fortunately, Taeyeon with her quick reflexes managed to warp out of the black hole, just barely crossing the event horizon and the last second. Unfortunately, that took a huge toll on her already weakened body and soul...

 

"TAEYEON!!! Are you okay?" Seohyun questioned worriedly, as she rushed to Taeyeon's side after seeing her leader cough up blood. As Seohyun tried to heal Taeyeon, Tiffany charged at the feral demon, summoning an army of hell fire clones to attack the feral demon. The feral demon just laughed and slashed his claws through the air, sending shockwaves of dark energy that decimated her clones and nearly cleaved Tiffany into half if she had not ducked in time.

 

"Seohyun unni, I'm okay! Go help Tiffany unni! I just need to rest for a while. Don't worry." Tayeon whispered, forcing an encouraging smile as she tried to ignore the immense pain she was feeling while trying to hold her soul together. Just then, they heard Tiffany scream.

 

"TIFFANY UNNI! Dun worry I'm coming!" Seohyun shouted when she saw the feral demon slamming Tiffany onto the ground, pinning her down under his foot, his claws raised, ready to land the final blow. Tiffany, unwilling to go down without a fight, blasted the feral demon in the face with hell flames, but it was of no use. She tried freezing the feral demon with her weapon's power, but the evil mastermind broke out of the ice easily. In a desperate last attack,  Tiffany drove her spear through his abdomen with all her remaining strength. Screaming in rage, the evil mastermind, yanked the spear out and flung it far away from Tiffany's reach, while his wound closed almost instantly.

 

A strange sense of calmness overcame Tiffany when she knew that she was going to die and she laughed and said: "So this is it Sica..." Then as the claw came down to end her life she closed her eyes and waited. From afar, Jessica turned back into her human form and started to run back to Tiffany's side while screaming out Tiffany's name over and over again.

 

After a second, Tiffany realised that the death blow never came and she slowly opened her eyes to see a scene that will forever leave a deep scar in her memory...

 

Seohyun had managed to dash over and grab the feral demon's hand before he could strike Tiffany. At the same time, she managed to stab her double-edged sword deep into his chest, letting his jet black blood slowly trickle out of the wound. Enraged, the feral demon swung his other arm around and slashed his claws across Seohyun's chest, easily ripping through her flesh and bones. Seohyun spat a mouthful of blood at the feral demon and just as she lost consciousness due to the fact that her heart had been ripped to shreds, she whispered: "It's Checkmate… Bloody Massacre. Double Suicide."

 

At once, all the blood in Seohyun's body burst forward, rupturing all her blood vessels before entering the feral demon's circulatory system through the wound she had created with her sword. The feral demon was distracted by the blood covering his eyes and in that moment, he was not able to counter Seohyun's attack and from inside his body, Seohyun's blood burst out, rupturing all of his blood vessels and tearing through bone and flesh alike in a torrential outpour as her blood burst out of his body and staining the ground blood red. Tiffany was drenched by Seohyun's blood as well and she was completely traumatized by what she saw.

 

After seeing Seohyun successfully stopping the feral demon in time, Taeyeon coughed up more blood and collapsed to the ground, too weak to remain standing. Thankfully, Sunny caught her before she hit the ground. Tears flowed down Sunny's cheeks as she cradled her dying partner in her arms, while Taeyeon smiled and whispered: "I want to see you smile one last time..."

 

On hearing her partner's dying wish, Sunny wiped off her tears and managed to force a smile. "That's much better..." Taeyeon mumbled, her hold onto the fragments of her soul getting weaker by the second. Turning to the clouds in the sky, Taeyeon waved at her parents and Sooyoung who were smiling sadly at her, knowing that her time was nearly up. Finally, she turned back to the love of her life and gave Sunny a peck on the lips before she heaved her final breath, letting the fragments of her soul slowly drift away.

 

Sunny laughed bitterly, hugging her dead girlfriend tightly for a few seconds before she laid down next to Taeyeon, lost the will to live and died hugging her partner...

 

"Sunny Bunny!!!" A familiar voice shouted and Sunny opened her eyes. Right in front of her was a translucent figure that looked like Taeyeon. Looking down, she realised that she was translucent as well and that was when she realised that the both of their souls had crossed over to the Realm of the Dead.

 

Sunny smiled and embraced her partner, before asking: "Byuntaeng! Didn't your soul get fragmented? How come you're still in one piece?"

 

"Sooyoung unni helped." Taeyeon replied as the two of them stepped back and looked back at the battle. From their point of view, they only saw blood exploding out from the evil mastermind and they assumed that Seohyun had somehow managed to defeat him. Thinking that they had won without any other fatalities, Sunny and Taeyeon happily crossed over to their afterlife in Paradise, hand in hand.

 

What they did not know was that just as they crossed over to their afterlife, Seohyun and the feral demon both crumbled to the ground, lifeless...

 

"SEOHYUN!!!" Tiffany screamed in disbelief. She shook Seohyun in an attempt to wake her up. "Seohyun... You saved my life... You can't die!!! How can I repay you if you're dead?" Tiffany whimpered as her tears flowed down like a waterfall. Jessica was equally sad and in tears as she tried to comfort her distraught partner.

 

"SeoBaby..." Yoona and Yuri whispered after turning back to their human forms. No tears fell, they just stared blankly at the corpse of their dead sister. Up in the clouds, Yonghwa smiled sadly at his girlfriend who had just crossed over to the Realm of the Dead. Seohyun smiled back before looking at her sisters and comrades wondering how she could comfort them.

 

At that moment, Tiffany suddenly realised that Taeyeon was not around either and as she looked around, she saw Taeyeon and Sunny lying on the ground in an embrace a distance away. Fearing the worst, she and Jessica went over to check if the two were still alive. Yuri and Yoona had already lost the will to live, but since they were immortal, they started glowing black and white, respectively, as they started to lose their human and weapon forms, which were "dying" since their destined weapon user had crossed over.

 

"Taeyeon... Sunny unni..." Tiffany called out to the maknae and her partner. "Why do all of you have to die... Stupid prophecy... Why did it have to come true?!! I'm the most useless one, let me die instead... WHY?!!" Tiffany screamed out loud and for the first time in years, her vision turned red and then white and she yelled the words that appeared in her brain: "Purifying Flames of War!!!" Instantly, flames erupted from her body and expanded outwards until they engulfed the whole earth within seconds, purifying it by burning all evil to ashes, while sparing everything else.

 

Just as quickly as they appeared, the flames died down soon after and in front of Tiffany, Sooyoung's father, the Goddess of War and the God of Sleep appeared...

 

"Daughter, you've done well. You've mastered the skill of the first God of War and purified the world of all evil, so there is no need to have any more Vanguard of Death to fight another evil mastermind. And I think it is time for you to take over as the Goddess of War!" Tiffany's mother, the Goddess of War told Tiffany in a caring tone as she pulled her daughter into an embrace.

 

"Umma... But the rest..." Tiffany mumbled as she continued crying. Her mother gently wiped off her tears and assured her that everything would be okay. Following the Goddess of War revealed her godly form and placed her hand on Tiffany's head.

 

There was a flash of pink and Tiffany became the one with a godly form, while her mother became an immortal human. Tiffany, now the Goddess of War, donned a full suit of shinning pink amour and had a huge pair of pink coloured angel wings. She now carried a shield and on it was a crest shaped like ice crystals in the shapes of the ancient writing for 'Hwang' and 'Jung'. Like Sooyoung, she was much taller in her godly form, although not as tall as Sooyoung's four metres, she still stood at an impressive three metres and ninety-three centimetres.

 

Jessica squealed in delight before hugging her partner and announced: "Fany-ah! You're my knight in shining amour! Now all you need a horse!"

 

Laughing, Tiffany raised her visor and entrapped Jessica in her eye-smile before teasing: "Without you, my dearest weapon, how am I supposed to fight? And do you still want that wooden rocking horse from five years back?"

 

"YAH!!! Did you have to bring that up after all this years?!!" Jessica pouted and punched Tiffany, totally forgetting that she was wearing a suit of metallic amour. "OWW!!!" Jessica shrieked in pain when it finally occurred to her that punching metal causes pain.

 

"Pabo Sica…" Tiffany partner as she kissed Jessica's hand before turning back to her human form and looked over to the twins who were just about to lose their human and weapon forms. Sooyoung's father and the God of Sleep were already by their side and so were Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and the rest of the trainers.

 

"Girls… Hang in there… Once Seohyun becomes the Goddess of Sleep, you two won't need to lose your human and weapon forms, anymore!" The God of Sleep told his daughters. Yuri and Yoona were oblivious to their surroundings, they could only see their dead sister lying on the ground and it was because she had tried to save her comrades that she was forced to use that last attack.

 

"Appa… How could you leave Yuri unni, Yoona unni and me and just go on a honeymoon like tat?!! I was only two…" Seohyun shouted at her father, twenty years of bottled up emotion pouring out all at once, before she broke down into tears of joy and resent. Happy that her father was back, but resentful that he only came back after she died.

 

"I'm sorry… I have no excuse… I'll explain what happened later on. For now I'm going to pass my position over to you." God of Sleep comforted Seohyun as he hugged her tightly, before he revealed his godly form and placed his hands on her shoulders.

 

In a flash of white, Seohyun became the Goddess of Sleep, while her father became an immortal human, just like Tiffany's mom and Sooyoung's father. Seohyun had two pairs of wings, one pair was white angel wings, the other black demon wings and she was dressed in a white blouse and a black long skirt. She stood at a height of three metres and ninety-eight centimetres, nearly as tall as Sooyoung.

 

"SeoBaby! You're sooo pretty!" Yuri exclaimed, the black glow surrounding her, subsided.

 

"And you're a goddess now!" Yoona exclaimed, the white glow surrounding her, subsided like Yuri's.

 

"I knew you were a goddess from the start!" Yonghwa grinned happily as he looked at his girlfriend with pride.

 

"Stop embarrassing me…" Seohyun blushed and transformed back into her human form.

 

"Yay! So now both of my cousins are goddesses too!" Sooyoung shouted with glee as she pulled both Seohyun and Tiffany into a group hug.

 

"I'm your cousin?" Tiffany asked, puzzled.

 

"Well, your mom is my aunt… Doesn't that make you my cousin?" Sooyoung replied, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Oh." Tiffany facepalmed herself. "Five years… For five years I never realised… I'm so blur…" Tiffany berated herself.

 

"That's why you have a partner like Jessica! You two are sooo fit for each other!" Sooyoung teased. Jessica and Tiffany glared at Sooyoung, but they knew it was true, so they just changed the topic and asked about Seohyun's father.

 

"Well… Since we both love to sleep, my wife and I decided to go to take a nap before travelling around the world for a while before going back to our children. And since our favourite place to take a nap was LalaLand, we decided to pop over to take a nap there. However, it was too comfortable and we accidentally fell asleep for twenty years…" Seohyun's father told everyone.

 

"As for me… I went searching around the whole world, the whole of Realm of the Gods, Realm of the Dead and even hell for my careless brother, to no avail. It was then that I realised that he must have fallen asleep in LalaLand. LalaLand is the world which the first God of Sleep created for anyone to enter when they are asleep, but only the reigning God of Sleep could know of its physical entrance and this entrance moves around randomly according the reigning God of Sleep's mood. Even I had no idea where it was, so I had to search around all the realms once again for anything that seems like the entrance and it was not until Tiffany unleashed the skill of the first God of War that allowed me to see for one second where the entrance was. From there, I went into LalaLand and it wasn't long before I found the sleeping couple for they had fallen asleep right at the entrance…" Sooyoung's father explained why it took him five years to find his brother.

 

"And we were roughly awakened and dragged over here…" Seohyun's father finished off the explanation.

 

A chorus of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' went up as the rest finally comprehended what had conspired. Particularly Seohyun, Yuri and Yoona, who at last knew what happened to their parents.

 

"Umma, Appa… You two are sooo not sleeping for another twenty years! And I'll see to that!" Seohyun told her parents with a serious expression.

 

"Aww… Come on… You've got to be joking…" Her parents whined.

 

Seohyun, who was still slightly angry at her parents turned towards Sooyoung and asked: "What about Taeyeon and Sunny unni? What happened to them?"

 

"Let me check…" Sooyoung replied before teleporting away to Paradise. In a blink of an eye, she was back and she was smiling widely as she told the rest: "Well, it seems like Sunny had just proposed to Taeyeon and they are going to hold a wedding banquet tonight!"

 

Jaws dropped to the ground as the others heard the shocking news. Who knew the two of them would decide to tie the knot so fast after they died?

 

"Fany-ah… Did Sooyoung unni just say that Taeyeon and Sunny unni are getting married?" Jessica asked her partner to make sure her ears were not playing tricks on her.

 

"I think she did…" Tiffany replied, confused as well. "Should we do something like that too?" Tiffany asked, blushing.

 

"Do what?" Jessica questioned, completely puzzled.

 

"Get married…" Tiffany whispered as she twiddled her thumbs nervously, not daring to look into Jessica's eyes.

 

"Seriously? That's your way of proposing?" Jessica asked, raising an eyebrow, while crossing her arms and pouting in mock anger.

 

"I… Err… Wh-?!!" Tiffany stuttered but was cut off by Jessica who engulfed Tiffany in a hug and crashed her lips into Tiffany's. Shock turned into happiness as Tiffany happily responded, but before she could deepen it, Jessica pulled back and placed her finger, teasingly, on Tiffany's lips and whispered: "Leave that for after we get married…"

 

"So that's a yes?" Tiffany asked hesitantly, finally daring to look at Jessica in the eye. Jessica responded by nodding cutely and at that moment, cheers erupted from all the onlookers, who were happy that yet another couple was getting married.

 

"So that makes a double wedding! Unless more people would like to propose…" Sooyoung exclaimed excitedly, hinting strongly to the two remaining couples.

 

"Seo…" Yonghwa started as he turned to Seohyun, but before he could continue on, Seohyun hugged him and whispered into his ear: "Of course I will." With that, a smile spread across Yonghwa's face and everyone now turned their attention to the final couple.

 

Yuri and Yoona looked at each other and smiled. No words needed to be said as a silent agreement passed between them and the twins held hands and faced the rest, their ridiculous wide grins told the rest that they too had decided to get married.


"Hurray!!! Let's all go to Paradise and tell Taetae and Sunny the good news! Oh and I'll show all of you my cute little babies!!!" Sooyoung announced excitedly before she teleported away with Hyoyeon, without waiting for the rest. One after another, everyone gathered at Sooyoung and her boyfriend's house, including the Sunyeon couple who lived just next door.

 

After spazzing over the cuteness of Sooyoung's sons and placating of jealous Taeyeon and Tiffany, who felt that their partners were spazzing too much, the group started preparing for their weddings.

 

And needless to say, after the girls got married, they lived happily ever after.

 

At least for the next three hundred years… :P

 

~ ~ ~ THE END ~ ~ ~