It's Okay Even If It Hurts (Chapter 3)

The Vanguard of Death

Feeling the cool sea breeze brush against her face, caressing it in its gentle touch, Seohyun smiled. She closed her eyes and focused on happy thoughts, which consisted mainly of sweet potatoes, and started to meditate. She smiled again as she felt the warm, pinkish glow engulf her body, the power in her blood called forth to regenerate any part of her body which was wounded. Then she smelt it.

It was the lovely smell of boiled sweet potatoes wafting out of the kitchen window of her family's seaside mansion, down to the beach where she was meditating at. Seohyun opened her eyes and smiled again. Then she ran up the path back to her house where her sisters had boiled sweet potatoes for her.

"YAY!!! SWEET POTATOES!!!" Seohyun shouted in delight, clapping her hands as she saw the plate of sweet potatoes laid on the table, for her consumption. She felt overjoyed, there was nothing in the world she loved more than sweet potatoes, except her sisters, of course.

"First thing she notices is the sweet potatoes and not us..." sighed Yuri, as she lamented the fact to her twin sister.

"That's our SeoBaby for you, so just live with it!" replied Yoona, rather cheerfully for someone who just got preferentially ignored over sweet potatoes. "Nothing ever seems to make Yoona unhappy... No wonder she's the Blade of Eternal Bliss... She never fails to brighten up my day! Come to think of it I won't be able to bear seeing her unhappy. I would rather get hurt instead. It's okay even if it hurts, so as long she's happy. She's the love of my life, after all..." Yuri thought, as she smiled at her twin sister.

Looking into her twin sister's eyes, she knew exactly what Yuri was thinking. As she smiled back at Yuri, she thought: "It's not that I don't get unhappy, I just prefer to make others happy, even if I'm hurt. It's okay even if it hurts, so as long you are happy. And I know you think the same way too. You won't allow me to get hurt even if it means you do, right? And you're better at dealing with pain, after all you're the Blade of Eternal Pain..."

"Ahem, I'm still here! Keep the staring at each other in your love nest, you two lovebirds. I'm still underage, you know? And of course I noticed my two beloved unnis before the sweet potatoes!" Seohyun said, running up to her unnis and giving them a big hug, before continuing: "Now, let's EAT!"

The twin sisters smiled at their cute little sister and gave her a pat on the head, as they sat down to watch her devour all the sweet potatoes in a blink of an eye. As Seohyun ate the sweet potatoes, she thought: "It's not that I like sweet potatoes more than guys, is just that none of the guys were better. Well... except for him... Yonghwa was THE perfect guy. The times we spent together were happy times, but he left. He left for another girl... But it's okay. If he's happy, I'm happy. It's okay even if it hurts, so as long he's happy... Sweet potatoes are much better, they won't leave me. Even my parents left me when I was two... I only have my sisters and sweet potatoes now, and that's good enough family for me..."

As she was lost in her thoughts, Seohyun realised with a shock that she had finished the whole plate of sweet potatoes by herself. "Unni! Why didn't you two take any?" Seohyun asked her two unnis, guiltily.

"Since you like them so much, we let you have all of the sweet potatoes. It's okay, don't need to feel sorry." Both Yoona and Yuri replied at the same time, smiling at their little sister, while intertwining their hands under the table.

Seohyun looked at her unnis and thought: "My beloved sisters, Yoona and Yuri, Twin Blades of Eternal Slumber. The Angel of Dreams and the Demon of Nightmares, together they represented the two realms of sleep that was under the control of our father, the God of Sleep. And me? I'm just a human with high regeneration abilities, for sleep has its regenerative abilities as well. My power is just a side effect of sleep, so I'm just human..."

Yoona and Yuri saw the look of Seohyun and knew she was thinking about that again. The fact that both of them were born an angel and a demon, respectively, while she was just a human. They both sighed and reassured Seohyun at the same time: "SeoBaby!!! Snap out of it! You know you're just as important to Dad, as we are. What's the point of sleep if it does not help people in any way? It'll just be a waste of time. People need sleep because of its regenerative effects. You're just as important as us, you know! It doesn't matter that you're just a human. Trust us, we don't feel anymore holy then you, even with our wings and all that."

Seohyun smiled, she knew her sisters were saying the truth. She shouldn't be so hard on herself, but still she felt a tinge of jealously that she wasn't an angel like Yoona or even a demon like Yuri. "I got it. Don't worry, I'm okay now!" Seohyun replied, trying to smile a little.

"And looks like we have some visitors..." Yoona said, looking expectantly at the shapes forming from Seohyun's shadow.

"And I think we know who it is, don't we?" Yuri commented, looking at Yoona and then back at two people who had just materialised out of Seohyun's shadow.

Meanwhile, Seohyun was completely shocked at the sight of the two females stepping out of her shadows.

"Long time no see, YoonYul, my two favourite cousins!" Sooyoung laughed as she stepped past Seohyun to embrace her cousins, who she had not seen for twenty years. "Look at both of you! All grown up already and looking even more like a couple!" Sooyoung teased, before continuing: "Have you two pranksters been up to anymore mischief while I'm not around to keep an eye on you two?"

"Us pranksters? Who would ever say that?" the twins replied together, putting on their most angelic looks they could muster. For Yoona, it wasn't that hard, she WAS an angel to begin with, but Yuri on the other hand, ended up with a look closer to that of a demon, which she was anyways. They then continued: "We've been busy taking care of Seohyun, our baby sister, ever since Mom and Dad left us to go on a honeymoon, when we were ten and Seo was two. They haven't been back since..."

"Oh I see, the two little pranksters have become substitute parents for my youngest cousin? Lemme guess... Yoona's the mom and Yuri's the dad?" Sooyoung smirked and then continued: "Talking about Seohyun, I've never seen her before, after all I left when you two were still five and she wasn't born yet. Care to introduce her to me?

"Hey, I'm a GIRL you know?!! What are you trying to imply by saying I'm the dad?!!" Yuri retorted, glaring at her cousin, before introducing Seohyun to her: "Seohyun was born three years after you left to join the Vanguard of Death and her power is health regeneration, which works better if she's thinking happy thoughts." Yuri then turned to Seohyun and said: "SeoBaby, this is Sooyoung unni, our cousin, daughter of our uncle, the God of Death."

"Annyeong, Sooyoung unni. Nice to meet you." Seohyun greeted Sooyoung after she recovered from her shock.

Sooyoung nodded approvingly and was about to say something when her partner just had to in, so as to made her presence known. "Hey! I know this is a very touching family reunion, but shouldn't we get to the point? I thought you hated beating around the bush?" Hyoyeon said, with a hint of sarcasm.

Sooyoung rolled her eyes and thought: "Why did I ever agree to accept this irritating person as my weapon, when I can cope perfectly fine without one... Okay, so she's humorous and makes me less depressed, but still she needs to GROW UP!!!" Sooyoung glared at Hyoyeon and said: "As I was going to say, before I was RUDELY interrupted by a certain choding..." Sooyoung turned back to her cousins and continued: "Seohyun, you're gonna follow in my steps and join the Vanguard of Death, with your sisters as your weapons. You okay with that? I'll train you to become a worthy member of the Vanguard, along with your weapons of course."

Seohyun stared at Sooyoung in disbelief. Was her ears playing tricks on her? Did Sooyoung just ask her to join THE Vanguard of Death? The same one her sisters always told her bedtime stories about? It can't be, could it? Seohyun's mind was filled with questions and she did the only thing she could do, she turned to her trusted sisters and asked: "Can I?"

Yoona and Yuri just smiled and replied: "Of course you can! Told you that you were fated for something better than just being a normal human! And see, we weren't telling you fairy tales when we told you stories about the Vanguard of Death. We were just telling you the adventures of Sooyoung with the Vanguard, based on what she told us through post."

Seohyun then made up her mind and accepted Sooyoung's invitation. Following, Sooyoung gave her the same instructions that she gave to JeTi and SunYeon to meet at SM. But just before she disappeared back into the shadows with Hyoyeon, Yuri stopped her and asked: "So where's Soojin unni and uncle?"

"Soojin unni went with Dad back to the underworld to help him to catch up with the work he neglected while training the previous Vanguard." Sooyoung replied, with sad look in her eyes. After all, she had lost her boyfriend, and still couldn't return home to the underworld... She knew she had a job to do, and she was determined to complete it. "So see ya later!" Sooyoung said as she disappeared into the shadows with Hyoyeon.

Seohyun was still slightly dazed from the sudden turn of events. Yoona and Yuri just her silky, smooth hair, while lost in thoughts, as they reminisced the past. Finally, they gathered their thoughts together and cleared the table, before sitting down together to discuss on what they needed to do to prepare for the trip to SM. "Life is gonna get so much more interesting!" Seohyun thought excitedly.

The time for the next Vanguard of Death to gather is nearing. Evil forces are also gaining strength. Will the Vanguard be strong enough before evil strikes? Or will they fail and let the world get overtaken by Evil?