Chapter 24

Because Your Love Is Like The Wind

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

I sped down through the streets of Seoul in my white luxurious Bentley. The road was covered with white snow as a blizzard threatens to roll in. Youngbae and I just had lunch with our parents. We were on our way to the mall for some last minute Christmas shopping. This year would be the first Christmas we didn’t have hyung around, the first in more than 10 years. It felt incomplete for us but hyung was in a better place. Probably a merrier Christmas compared to us he left behind. It’s been nearly a month since hyung passed and Sophie is not even near a closure. She seemed like she had everything in control but the way we found her on her birthday hit me like a huge boulder of realization. She has been keeping it to herself and it took a toll on us. We weren’t observant enough of the need of our delicate best friend. My phone ringed and derailed my thoughts. I glanced at the caller ID but it was an unknown number so I decided to do what any designated driver did, ignore. The caller was persistent so I gave up.

“Yeobseo?”

“Good Afternoon, Is this Mr Kwon Jiyong?”

“Deh”

“I am from Seoul General Hospital and your number is listed as the emergency contact for Miss Sophie Park”

“Huh? What happened?” I questioned in alarm.

“Miss Park has been admitted in to our hospital. Please present yourself immediately.”

The blood in my body drained at each word the lady on the line uttered. My concern for Sophie’s safety and both my nephew and niece lingered in my head. I told Youngbae that later alerted both Sophie and Seunghyun’s parents. Seungri and Daesung promise to meet us at the hospital. Youngbae and I were the first to reach the hospital but we were told to wait in the waiting room. Both Youngbae and I paced the ER waiting room back and forth. Worry washing over us and none of us uttered not even a single word. I stared blankly at the white swinging doors. Somehow hoping that I had X-ray vision that could see what was happening behind the doors. The sterile smell of the hospital lingered around me. Pacing and pacing but still nothing. What happened to Sophie? Hyung’s disappointed face flashed before my eye as I imagined the worst case scenario. The great white door swung open revealing a thin tall man, with his glasses hanging dangerously down his nose. He pushed his glasses back as his steps came closer to where Youngbae and I were standing. We were both rooted in our spots.

“Which of you are Miss Park’s husband?”

Youngbae and I both shake our heads simultaneously.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Are you family member?”

“Her husband passed away a month ago. I am Kwon Jiyong, her emergency contact.” I said as I extended my hands to shake his.

“Alright. Please step into my office.” The doctor said sternly. Youngbae and I silently followed him. Quiet like guilty schoolboys being sent to the principal’s office. My heart raced, pumping so hard it might jump right out of my chest. Was this something serious? Is Sophie alright?

We sat facing the doctor and watched his movements. He took off his glasses and clasped his hands together in front of his mouth, clearing his throat.

“Miss Park was brought in by a couple who do not wish to be identified. She was having preterm labor.”

Both Youngbae and I stared blankly with our mouth hanging open trying to understand the doctor.

“Well, preterm labor is a condition where the mother experience contractions before she is suppose to. This condition is dangerous as the baby is not ready and is still developing in the womb.”

“Is Sophie and the twins alright?” Youngbae stuttered nervous.

“Yes she is. We stopped the contraction.”

“What triggered her to have these contractions?’ I asked.

“Well, judging from what you told me. Heartache. May I ask you, at what terms did her husband pass away? Was it sudden?”

We both nodded.

“I see. Well, we, the ones that are left behind have to pick up the pieces of our life and go on without them. It may be hard sometimes but it is not impossible. Some triumph, some fall. But she needs to focus on her pregnancy and avoid another preterm labor for at least another 2 months. When she is 8 months pregnant, that will be considered normal for a double pregnancy like hers.”

Again we both nodded, not uttering a single word and mentally noting the doctor’s word.

“I think I can discharge her first thing tomorrow so you can celebrate Christmas at home. It's bad enough that she is spending Christmas eve in the hospital, is it not? She needs bed rest and a peace of mind.” The doctor smiled as he lead us out of his office.

Youngbae and I excited the doctor’s office and went to the find Sophie’s room. Outside her room, Seungri, Daesung, Seunghyun and Sophie’s parents stood waiting for an explanation. Youngbae went on and explained the situation to them and I crept into her room. Sophie lay frail on the huge hospital bed. An IV drip pierced through her thin wrist and a baby monitor strapped onto her exposed belly. Next to her were monitors that beeped in rhythm with my nephew and niece’s heartbeat. I walked up next to her bed. She was sound asleep unexpectedly I saw trickling from her closed eyes were tears. Shocked upon seeing her tears that it came to me, she has been crying unconsciously in her sleep. My heart sank deeper, thinking to myself, “hyung why did you leave her like this?”

My eyes caught sight of a white envelope next to her bed. My hands cautiously took the letter. I saw Seunghyun’s writing. I read the letter, word by word, line by line. Silently observing the content of the letter and she suddenly woke up, her hands reaching to her belly in panic.

“They are still in there.” I said.

She sighed in relieve. Hearing that she was awake everyone else came in to greet her. Seunghyun and Sophie’s parents wanted to stay with her the night but we assured them that we would look after her. When their parents left, I took the liberty to confront her about the letter.

“What’s this Soph?” I asked holding up the letter.

“It’s a letter Seunghyun left me; you have no right to read that.” She said sternly trying to take the letter away from me.

The others silently looked on not wanting to get involve.

“Don’t you think it’s time to maybe move on? These letters are holding you back in the past Soph and it’s not healthy for the baby.”

Rage overwhelmed her as she screamed at me. “Those letters are mine! And you have no right Kwon Jiyong to tell me to move on or not. You have no right. It’s a matter of my heart.”

“I know it is but maybe try to focus more on your pregnancy first.”

“He was my husband. You don’t know what I’m going through. You don’t understand the pain.”

“You think I don’t understand? We tolerate you Soph. We call you everyday asking how you are and making sure you eat. Every weekend we check in on you. You think we don’t understand? We are sacrificing ourselves for you but you cannot stop dwelling in the past. This of a letter has got to stop for you to move on. And you think we don’t get it? Then talk to us. Tell us what’s going on in your heart, honestly.” I exploded, holding the letter high in front of her as frustration overwhelmed me.

 

 

 

 

Smack…

 

 

 

 

My cheeks burned red with Sophie’s hand mark firmly printed across my face. She was sobbing hard and Seungri and Daesung were holding her, trying to persuade her to keep her calm. I threw the letter on the bed in front of her asYoungbae pushed me out the door.