Twenty Two

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

TWENTY TWO

 

 

After the concert, Seohyun and her friends were invited again in the backstage but they couldn’t really do much except for quick greetings since the management threw a dinner party for the boys with the staff and sponsors of the concert. Taeyeon, too, decided that it would be imposing if they would join just because she has some friends in the band’s company. That was the reason they gave to the clueless ones wondering why three supermodels and a prominent director of a modeling agency were invited in the showcase. Their presence, however, remained concealed to the media and the fans.

 

Yonghwa insisted on dropping by their penthouse but Seohyun was quick to disagree and promised instead to spend time with him the next day after they’re both done with their respective schedules. Although tired, his excitement brought by the success of the concert and the imminent date with Seohyun left Yonghwa restless and unable to sleep. He started making plans on how to make that date memorable for her and take the opportunity to do it where fewer eyes would be watching.

 

Accordingly, Seohyun picked him up near the restaurant where he left the three boys in a private room indulging in everything they wanted as long as they would wait until he returns. Yonghwa used the emergency exit to access the back building where he rounded a street to where she parked waiting for him. His plan was simple yet very effective that even Seohyun was in awe when he told her about it on the phone that morning.

 

And now, he sat in the passenger seat as she tried to impress him with her navigational skills around the city she has grown accustomed to. They didn’t really have a particular destination in mind since the whole idea of the trip was to see the closest suburban district. They talked endlessly that they only noticed the fading background of skyscrapers and modern trappings of the city when it started to rain heavily. They laughed realizing that the trip would really end up being trapped inside the car but they really didn’t care.

 

At last, when they reached an unfamiliar road that had noticeably became narrower than the ones they passed before; Seohyun thought out loud that they reached another suburb. Crisscrossing through random streets, he told her to stop at any café or small restaurant where they could get something to eat on the way back to the heart of the city. Gradually, the rain poured less aggressively but it was apparent that they were moving deeper and deeper into a residential area.

 

“I think we should trace our way back,” she said as she trained her eyes through the darkening signs that they passed by.

 

“Okay, but I think this is a one-way street. Can you find your way back?”

 

Seohyun laughed, “Is that a ist question?”

 

“No, it’s not,” he chuckled, “I’m not questioning your ability to pilot the ship, captain. Only that I would be of no help too since I’m basically lost seeing all these Japanese characters.”

 

“Don’t worry. Help is just one phone call away,” Seohyun winked as she turned to another street and sighed in relief when cars started to appear around them, “I should make a turn?”

 

He laughed then shook his head, “Follow the road first and turn to the next intersection. We’re obviously on the highway.” Yonghwa watched her lips pursed as she concentrated on driving. Seohyun wore incognito as instructed—a buggy gray sweatshirt with the number eleven sprawled in front in bold, skinny jeans and a pair of brown boots. Hardly any trace of makeup covered her pale face yet she was still looking stunning.

 

“Oppa, I can’t concentrate if you keep on watching me like that.”

 

Yonghwa smirked, “How did you even know I’m watching?”

 

“I can feel it,” she rolled her eyes, “And it’s making me uncomfortable so stop...”

 

“Fine,” he chuckled and diverted his eyes in front of them. That was when he saw a somewhat rounded object dwarfed by the tall buildings near it. “Hyun, can you see that ahead? Far right. I think that’s a Ferris wheel.”

 

“Oh yeah, wanna check it out?”

 

“Let’s do it!” He grinned like a kid as Seohyun maneuvered the car towards the direction.

 

As expected, there was a small festival in one quiet corner of the town where they headed. The heavy rains moments ago had probably kept the people indoors and the evident nightfall only brought out couples on that park that was seemed to be transformed as a makeshift carnival. When they reached the parking lot, Yonghwa gave her a facemask and dropped a ball cap on her head and put the same on himself. Seohyun grinned as she tied her hair in a ponytail and adjusted the cap on her head then put on the mask.

 

The park was virtually empty as only a few people, mostly couples, took advantage of the rides and games. They blended well with the locals who were also wrapped up against the cold weather so it was easier to pretend that they were not hiding from those who could probably recognize them. It was something dangerous but despite the same fear, they did not voice it to each other.

 

They reached the Ferris wheel and thankf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter