Two

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

TWO

 

The photoshoot started. The lights, the mellow music on the background, the gentle yet forceful command of the photographer and the arts director, the hum and the buzzes all around them— everything was normal. Normal, yet she was on the edge. Painstakingly nervous. Maybe she was just tired, maybe she wanted that bath and bed so much it was getting in her nerves.

 

They demanded mystique, intensity, passion—but distance between the main stars. And she was thankful for that.

 

Seohyun stood on her corner, one hand holding on to a wooden ladder with a white fabric draped over it, the other tightly clutching that slit on her dress. The room was well ventilated but she felt hot and sweaty that she was almost breathless. She sighed breathing through her slightly opened mouth and tilted her head to the side maintaining a good glance at the camera. Another command came, this time the photographer said something about looking past the man almost ten steps from her.

 

Her head lifted and transfixed past him but she could not just pretend he wasn’t there or the effect of his presence. Yonghwa was sitting on a wooden stool doing what he was supposed to do but she could feel his stare burrowing onto her.

 

And then, she was told to look at him.

 

His touch seemed to have lingered on her hand. The casual gesture had turned uncomfortable when he held her hand longer. It shouldn’t have been a big deal if she hasn’t met men like that. She knew their kind and she usually stay away from them.

 

But this time, she cannot just stay away as her sight settled on the depth of his own gaze transfixed on hers. There was something about him that makes those warning bells chime.

 

Seohyun knew she was executing what the theme required of them but she cannot ignore the discomfort somewhere within. He looked at her like digging beneath her surface. His stare was soft yet challenging, asking her to bare her soul and offer it to him. She has done this a million times but never, not even once, her heart reacted this way to the way his eyes were holding hers.

 

Every movement, every act—he was making it hard for her to breathe.

 

Unconsciously, her lips opened a little again for her to grasp some air. Eyes closed, one hand suddenly reached out to rest on her stomach. She could feel her heartbeat louder now and more when she opened her eyes. The man across her was still holding her gaze.

 

Penetrating, without even a blink.

 

“Great! Perfect!”

 

A small jump registered in . She took a deep sigh when Photographer Han called for a short break. Fanning her face with her hands, she walked towards the dressing room skipping the idea of checking the images. Seohyun smiled when she saw a familiar face.

 

“Hi, hon…” Taeyeon stood and gave Seohyun a good old embrace.

 

“Unnie, you’re here!” She hugged her agent tight and was glad for that little distraction. Taeyeon Kim has been her agent since she started taking larger accounts for the agency. Just like her mentor, Taeyeon is not only a colleague for her but a part of her very small adoptive family.

 

“Sorry, got another appointment with Sooyoung. I still can’t believe she’s getting married!” The shorter girl allowed her to take her seat in front of the mirror for her retouch but she stood beside her with arms crossed on her chest, “Anyway, how was your trip? How delayed was it?”

 

“About two hours, but at least I was able to doze off at the airport.”

 

“Everything’s good here?”

 

“Yep.” She mumbled as the stylist fixed her hair. The laughter outside was too loud to disregard, especially that male voice that dominated the conversation, but she pretended not to be bothered by it.

 

“What do you think of him?”

 

Her Unnie looked at her reflection when the stylist left the room for awhile. She shrugged and checked her nails, “Just another .”

 

“I think he's interested in you,” Taeyeon grinned when she noticed how that man, surrounded by other girls, seemed to be throwing glances at their direction.

 

“Too bad I’m not…”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “What's new?” She has known this girl for, like, ever and she could tell that over the years Seohyun has successfully crafted that protective steel armor around her chest. Once in awhile and if her schedule permits, she would also go out on dates but only after two dates with the same guy. It would be take a miracle for a man to cajole her for the third one.

 

Looking over at the little group around the rock star, Taeyeon remembered how her friend grunted when she handed her print-outs of articles about him. Jung Yonghwa is quite famous in the ladies department and it isn’t really a surprise since he’s absolutely good looking and with a talent to match that good looks. “Look at him he seemed to be trying to get your attention,” she giggled when all Seohyun did was to look over her shoulder and back again.

 

“He talks like he's on a public address system.”

 

“He's trying to impress you.”

 

“If he really is, he should really change his style.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head laughing. As far as she kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter