Thirty Seven

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

THIRTY SEVEN

 

 

For the past week since Seohyun arrived, Yonghwa tried so hard to give time for her even if it meant short phone calls in the wee hours of the night. Their manager had warned him that he could no longer pull his old trick of cancelling or sneaking out of an appointment just to play around because he had maxed out his favor credit. Thus, Yonghwa abide by the rules, became a good employee of the company and an obedient ward to their managers. His efforts were thankfully recognized that he was given a time off in between their concert tour breaks.

 

Thus, he got everything ready before telling her because he just takes delight in giving her surprises of her life. This one, though, he wasn’t very sure but he would give it a try. “Hyun, we’re going on a trip, pack for two days and one night. I’ll pick you up in an hour?” Yonghwa confidently tapped his phone on his palm after making sure he sent that message. He smiled when merely a minute passed that his phone beeped signaling her response.

 

“Huh? I have an appointment tomorrow.”

 

“I asked Taeyeon-ssi to clear your sched.”

 

“You asked her to clear my sched before asking me?”

 

Yonghwa stared at his phone confused although he knew she had a point. Was she mad? She probably was so he typed and sent, “Baby…” He waited staring at his phone like his life depended on it and when a minute passed that he didn’t get a reply, Yonghwa decided to call. It took a few rings before Seohyun picked up so he knew how messed up he was and she didn’t say anything so he started, “Hey, are you upset? I’m sorry. I wanted it to be a surprise.”

 

“Can surprise me with something else not like that?”

 

“Baby, I’m sorry,” his stomach lurched, he really messed up and he had been saying sorry a lot.

 

“My job is as important as yours too, Oppa.”

 

Yonghwa pouted as if she could see her as he imagined her straight and crossed face, “I just want to be with you.”

 

“And I to you, but this is just…”

 

“I’m so sorry… I thought—”

 

He heard her take a big breath, “Just don’t do anything like that in the future.”

 

“Okay, okay, I won’t… are you home?” Yonghwa let out the same sigh when she uh-med and told her he would be coming earlier. Thankfully, Seohyun didn’t argue that, almost an hour later, he drove to her home. And his hunch was correct as she go about her way as if he didn’t just walk in so he wrapped her in his arms before she could even say anything, “Baby, I’m really sorry… forgive me, please.”

 

Seohyun lifted her head up to look at him with those wide-eyed glimmer, “Yes, of course, when did I ever not? And a big fat ten out of ten for rushing here.”

 

Finally, that earned him a good laugh as he pressed a soft kiss on her forehead, “I scored big then. You’re the best, you know.” Yonghwa grinned when she pursed her lips as if forcing herself not to smile too much, brushing his thumb on her cheek he added, “But we can cancel if that’s what you want.”

 

“Oppa,” she smiled and tiptoed to plant a soft kiss on his lips, “I’m just going to reward you for apologizing so yeah, let’s do it. But where are you taking me?”

 

“Busan,” he smiled gingerly as he tucked a tendril of hair behind her ear.  However, the sudden change in her expression didn’t escape his attention despite the big smile she was giving him now. Yonghwa pulled her by the waist resting his hands at the small of her back then murmured against her hair.  “You’re nervous. We can cancel if you won’t be comfortable. I’m sorry for surprising you like this.”

 

“No, let’s go,” she looked at him as she extracted herself from his tight embrace then smiled warmly, “I want to meet your family, they’re probably expecting us. Why Busan though? I thought they’d be here?”

 

“My father has business to attend to. I only got today and the rest of the weekend before the next leg of the tour.” Seohyun nodded again and he pulled her back as his hand slid up and found her nape underneath her hair and massaged her gently, “Thank you, love… this is really important to me.”

 

“Me too…” she replied in a very small voice.

 

~~~

 

As if she wasn’t surprised enough, Yonghwa gave Seohyun another thrill of her life when he revealed that he chartered a jet to make their trip faster and more comfortable.  Despite voicing her displeasure of his somewhat extravagant nature, Yonghwa didn’t falter because he actually expected that reaction.

 

“Sometimes I don’t know if you’re just showing off or what…” Seohyun rolled her eyes as he playfully ran his fingers on the back of her hand.

 

“I just want you to be really really comfortable,” he pouted then grinned, “Most of all, I’m just showing off.” Seohyun couldn’t do anything else but sigh and click her tongue.

 

And not less than forever, they found each other in Yonghwa’s parents’ house in Busan. He squeezed her hand tight when his mother finally appeared in the receiving area and he didn’t let her hand go despite being engulfed in his mother’s warm embrace.

 

“Well, well… look who came home,” his father arrived shortly and trained his eyes on Seohyun, “And you must be the reason why my son finally came home. It’s about time.”

 

Yonghwa laughed at that knowing wink then hugged his father, “Umma, Appa, this is my girlfriend, Seo Joohyun.” He smiled and watched her give his parents a respectful bow. Seohyun seemed to have shrunk down beside him like a shy little girl that he had to nudge her to move forward.

 

“It’s nice to finally meet you, I’m so sorry for just coming to greet you now, Abeoji and Eomoni,” Seohyun smiled knowing how pink and warm her cheeks were but her whole body cold and trembling a little.

 

His mother didn’t say anything yet but she had that little smile on her lips so Yonghwa knew that she was still appraising his girlfriend.

 

“Ani…” Mrs. Jung finally said and opened her arms, “Come here and give your future mother-in-law a hug.”

 

Seohyun’s face lit up turned to him for a moment so he gave her a push of a smile and watched her took little steps to hug his mother. Warmth crept all over him watching the two women in his life embrace each other as if welcoming themselves in their lives.

 

So far so good, he took a deep sigh.

 

They all retired on the big couch when his father excused himself to accept a call from his home office. Seohyun sat between him and his mother as they talked casually. Watching and listening to them carefully, Yonghwa could tell that his mother has already taken a liking at Seohyun and he couldn’t be any happier. It was almost as if he wasn’t in the same room as they talked about Seohyun’s work and his mother’s business.

 

It reminded him of what she said years ago about his bad taste in women. His mother would mildly imply her dislike on even the smallest rumor he would have with some girls. He knew his mother had been very sneaky when he was on his dating quest that some of those girls just suddenly didn’t want to have anything to do with him.

 

But this time, he was just relieved.

 

“It looks like you’re really enjoying your business, Eomoni,” Seohyun smiled, “Does it affect your health in any way?”

 

Mrs. Jung shook her head and smiled wide, “I’ve never been this healthy actually, especially now that my boys are not giving me the headaches. Anyway, I’m really thrilled when Yonghwa told me that you two are dating. I’ve met your mother once.”

 

“Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter