Beneath 1.4

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Wait here…”

 

“What’s hap—”

 

And he was gone even before she could finish her question. Seohyun put a hand on her chest trying to calm her heart and repeated to herself that everything was good. Her fingers found the gold band Yonghwa placed in her hand just moments ago.

 

She should feel happy and excited but his sudden departure thrilled her.

 

A cold breeze blew. Seohyun heard a soft giggle she would recognize anywhere.

 

Her face lit up when she saw that little girl appearing in the dirt path.

 

Her baby—her angel.

 

Seohyun cocked her head in question as the little girl walked closer, “Euna? You look like Tinker Bell!”

 

Euna flipped her hair with the very same smug grin she got from her daddy, “That’s ‘cause I’m Timker Bell!”

 

She couldn’t help but laugh out loud then her little fairy lunged herself into her that Seohyun finally went on her knees to wrap Euna in her arms. The longing for her little girl would always make her heart ache especially when she hasn’t seen Euna for a few days. Seohyun pulled away to study her baby closely. She smiled noticing the faint make-up on her face and she thought that the little girl must have bugged her daddy to dress-up again. Euna was into costume play these days partly because of her love for movies and cartoons, also right after her first photoshoot that she got to wear pretty clothes and enjoyed the experience so much. They have been collecting her pictures and posting it on their Instagram accounts.

 

Her father probably brought her to a studio for her make-up but he just said the little girl was in kindergarten a while back. Seohyun was about to ask when Euna suddenly sniffed—apparently, she was watching her mommy as well. She smiled and kissed her baby’s forehead, “What’s wrong?”

 

“I miss Umma… so very much and that’s a lot…” Euna waved a finger at her mommy before hugging her again.

 

“Aigoo…” Seohyun was moved by her daughter’s affection at the same time giggled by how Euna always manages to make her remarks somewhat comical. Returning her baby’s embrace, Seohyun whispered after kissing her temple, “I miss you too, baby, so very much and that’s a lot.”

 

“Don’t go away too long? ‘Kay?” Her voice was gentle as she fitted her face on her mommy’s neck. Euna missed her mommy smell very much, “Take Euna with you if you gonna go a loooong time, ‘kay?”

 

“Okay, honey… I’m so sorry for being away,” Seohyun finally lifted her up and heaved at the weight. She was gone for a week but it seemed that Euna got heavier; she smiled at that thought. A wave of familiar relief rushed through her now that she was back home and gradually working on her relationship with Yonghwa.

 

The sudden reminder of him made Seohyun turn towards the path where he disappeared into. She nudged Euna, “Honey, where’s Appa?”

 

With that, Euna wiggled and slipped off Seohyun’s arms, she frowned when her daughter took out a plain black eye mask and handed it to her. She stared at it for a moment and shifted her gaze back to Euna who was wearing an unusual smirk, “Euna, what’s this for?”

 

“For your eyes!” Euna declared as if she was providing an important information to her mother.

 

Seohyun laughed softly, “I know, honey, but why did you give me this?”

 

“For your eyes!” She insisted vehemently this time even stomping her feet in the process.

 

“You mean you want me to wear this?”

 

“Uh-huh, nooooow!” Euna hopped on both feet smiling wider.

 

“But Eu—”

 

“Oh, for Pete’s sakes! Just wear the damn mask!”

 

Seohyun almost jumped then turned to find Taeyeon standing there with her hands on her waist. That was surely a surprise, “Unnie? What are you doing here? And you’re not allowed to say the D-word around this kid!”

 

Taeyeon laughed looking at the little girl who has now transferred her attention to the grasshopper on a rock. She raised both hands in surrender, “I’m sorry… just wear the mask so we can get this over and done with…”

 

“This is what exactly?” Seohyun’s brow perked up.

 

“It’s for you to find out after putting that on,” Taeyeon smirked.

 

Yonghwa.

 

Seohyun thought to herself. She could only imagine what he has planned for today, after all, he just proposed. Giving off a deep sigh of resignation, she finally wore the eye mask and heard a giggle from her daughter.

 

~~~

 

A soft pat on his shoulder made his attention detach from the wide screen that was replaying the video he made of Seohyun. Moments ago, it showed a live feed of what was happening on the other end of the park and it only ended when Taeyeon guided his bride towards the another tent. Yonghwa turned to see her older sister smiling at him, “Nuna…”

 

“Yonghwa,” Hyoyeon tipped her head towards the screen, “You did a swell of a job in here.”

 

“I just hope she’ll like this. I basically did not give her the chance to plan her own wedding.”

 

“Oh you did.”

 

He recognized that knowing grin. Of course he did. Enlisting the help of Hyoyeon, Taeyeon and her closest friends, Yonghwa managed to clandestinely get hints out of Seohyun the kind of wedding she dreamed of— down to every single little detail. He nodded, “I cannot thank you enough.”

 

“No,” Hyoyeon shook her head with a gentle smile, “Mom and I can’t thank you enough for the joy you brought Seohyun. When she asked to be with you, I gave her my blessing even if I know the dangers your relationship would cause you both back then. I may not have been around most of the time but you know you can always count on me—especially when it comes to my sister’s happiness and Euna’s as well.”

 

“She makes me happy too. She deserves this, I want to keep her happy,” Yonghwa declared with certainty that made Hyoyeon smile wider.

 

“Okay, lover boy,” she gave him another pat, “It’s almost time.”

 

“It is,” he smiled then looked over her shoulder towards the woman on a wheelchair smiling with tears in her eyes as she watched what was playing on that wide screen, “I hope Eomonie is comfortable…”

 

“She is,” Hyoyeon nodded. With a clearance from her doctor, she managed to bring their mother to Korea after more than a decade of being away. The matriarch could no longer talk but she has been constantly showing how happy she is to be back. A few days after arriving, Hyoyeon brought her to hospital for a check-up and the doctor said her mother was healthy and there was nothing to worry about.

 

Hyoyeon knew that it was because of being back in Korea, Seohyun’s wedding, and the h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter