Arrow 19! Of Jessica's Mid-life Crisis and Some Hand Holding

Cupid Must Have Been High

arrow nineteen: of jessica's mid-life crisis and some hand holding

“I don’t know what to do, Tiff!”

The moment Jessica returned home (satisfied that she had the house to herself; it meant that Minho took her Soojung out), she threw her cell phone on to a table, picked up her house phone, and dialed a number she knew better than her own.

Tiffany’s amused voice answered her, “Hi to you too, Jessi.”

“I am going through a crisis right now, Tiff.” Jessica said this in all seriousness.

“What’s wrong?” Tiffany immediately sounded worried and wondered if she should run over to the Jung residence.

“I think I’m going through my mid-life crisis. Oh my god, I think it is my mid-life crisis.” panicked Jessica, whining into the phone. She started pacing (it was a stupid nervous habit) and Tiffany almost laughed.

“You’re only 23, how can you be going through your midlife crisis right now? What’s the problem, Jessica?” asked Tiffany. “And stop pacing.” Jessica stopped in her tracks; sometimes Tiffany knew her too well.

“I’m ruined, Fany. Ruined.” Maybe Jessica was being a little overdramatic, but she felt like she had the right to be. “I like that stupid buffoon!” She hadn’t had any romantic feelings for anyone since Jaejoong, and that ended ages ago. So she thought she deserved the right to be dramatic; she had forgotten the vulnerable feeling that came with liking someone.

There was a long pause before Tiffany answered with a drawled out, “Really now?”

“Yes, really. I’m ruined!” Jessica was too busy complaining and Tiffany to notice the knocking of the door. Since she was too busy complaining and failing to notice the knocking, she also failed to notice her front door opening.

And because she was too busy to notice, the moment she turned around, she let out the most ear-splitting shriek that would have made her dolphin buddy Junsu proud.

“Ow…chill out, Sica!” She would have continued to scream if not for the familiar voice and face. She just scowled instead.

“How did you get inside?” Jessica demanded.

She could hear Tiffany yelling, “What’s going on? Who’s that? Who’s inside? Are you okay? I’m going to call the cops!” Jessica smiled fondly at the thought of her friend caring so much before speaking into the phone.

“It’s okay, Tiff. It’s just Jaejoong.”

“Oh, you’re talking to Tiffany? Put her on speaker!” said Jaejoong, grinning.

Jessica rolled her eyes but complied.

“Hi Tiffany~” he greeted her, voice cheerful.

“Hi oppa!” Tiffany was very familiar with Jaejoong; she was already friends with Jessica when the two had dated.

“How did you get inside?” Jessica reiterated.

Jaejoong took out a set of very familiar looking house keys and waved them in front of her with a little smirk.

She looked at him in disbelief and asked, “Why do you still have those?”

He gave a little careless shrug and replied, “For when I need to break into your house.”

Tiffany laughed a little as Jessica continued to look at him in disbelief and asked, “What brings you to Jessi’s house today?”

“I just decided to drop by.” An easy smile was on Jaejoong’s face, but Jessica knew better to believe it. “What are you girls up to?”

“Jessica’s going through her mid-life crisis.” piped Tiffany, amusement in her voice.

Jaejoong nodded thoughtfully before asking in all seriousness, “How old are you again?”

Jessica swatted at Jaejoong with a pout. “Shut up, Jae. This is serious.”

“How serious are we talking here?” asked Jaejoong, eyebrow raised as he sat himself down and “braced himself”.

Jessica stared at him blankly, not wanting to say it aloud for the second time. Luckily for her, she was on the phone with a very certain Tiffany Hwang.

“Jessi has a little crush on Donghae!”

Jessica had to stop herself from throwing Jaejoong out when he decided to start rolling on the floor, laughing while shouting, “I knew it, I knew it!”

--

Taeyeon felt like she was dreaming. Or riding on Cloud Nine. Or not actually living in reality.

She was on a date with Kim Junsu. She couldn’t remember the last time she felt so happy.

He had rang the doorbell to her house, gave her flowers, walked her to his car, and then told her he wanted to date her. It was undoubtedly one of the best days of her life.

Some people would tell her that she was just exaggerating, but she knew that she wasn’t.

Some people would just tell her that it was a mere infatuation, just one of those schoolgirl crushes that came and went. She would tell people that they were wrong.

Although she did fan girl over him usually, and kind of spazzed whenever he was around, she felt genuinely happy whenever she talked to him. She felt a genuine connection that she didn’t feel with anyone else. Because for all that she was interested in him, they were still friends. And she knew that he was her guy.

Junsu initially picked Taeyeon up in his car, but since the duo had no real destination, they decided for a quaint little street date.

He had hilariously opened the door for her and bowed, making people turn their heads. She had played along, stepping out of the car and holding her hand out so that he could her out. He closed the door and locked his car (elegantly, if he could say so himself) before he re-took her hand and started walking.

They both walked along the crosswalk like they were walking on a red carpet.

Junsu and Taeyeon both stopped their little charade the moment they looked at each other and burst into laughter.

“I think I saw people taking pictures.” cackled Taeyeon, highly enjoying herself.

“We’re fabulous, Taeng. Fabulous.” grinned Junsu. She beamed back at him and they started to walk down the street, causually looking at the street shops. She tried to point at something, and then realized something very, very important.

He was still holding her hand.

She gaped at him a little bit and he noticed immediately. He just gave her another smile before changing the way he held her hand; he interlocked their fingers slowly, but held his hand in hers tightly.

Taeyeon continued to gape and let herself be dragged along for a while. She wasn’t even looking at the vendors; she was too busy staring at their interlocked fingers.

She only snapped back to reality when a friendly looking grandma said a passing remark to Junsu. “What a pretty girlfriend you have there, son.”

Before she could correct the grandmother (because she didn’t want to be presumptuous), Junsu bowed respectfully and smiled at her. “I know.”

Taeyeon seriously felt like she followed him around for a while with open in shock. “Y-you just…you-”

He gave her a casual shrug and said, “I was serious about dating you, Taeyeon.”

She couldn’t help her smile. She damned her cheekbones to hell, because who the hell cared if they hurt from smiling too much or too widely.

--

Krystal dressed up as casually as she could. She still wore a dress, but she didn’t try particularly hard to pretty herself up.

Minho sat next to her, staring at her critically. “I show up in a tuxedo on a Friday night and sort of whisk you away from your house and you wear that?” he asked.

There was nothing wrong with her dress, really. But having Choi Minho next to you and in formal attire made everyone feel a little underdressed. “You’re my best friend, what do I need to dress up for?” asked Krystal.

Minho had a thoughtful look on his face before he conceded with, “You have a valid point there.”

Krystal nodded in agreement and cheerfully asked, “Where are we going?”

He gave her a shrug and said, “Dinner, I guess.”

She gave him a pointed look and asked, “What do you mean you guess?

“Jessica noona planned everything. I just have to follow her instructions.” said Minho, looking solemn. “And she threatened me with death by impalement of forks if I don’t go through with it.”

Krystal nodded with pursed lips. “Yeah, that sounds like my sister.”

--

Taeyeon and Junsu walked around slowly, rocking their hands and enjoying the feeling of their interlocked fingers.

She had a little goofy grin on the whole time and he looked at her affectionately every once in a while.

“Kim Taeyeon?” she heard a voice called to her and she turned her head slightly.

“Ah!” she shouted. “I know you!” She saw a woman about her age staring at her with a cheerful smile. “W-wait for it.” muttered Taeyeon, staring intently at the lady.

Junsu laughed a little at Taeyeon’s look of concentration while the lady looked amused. He decided to help Taeyeon out a little bit. “Cheek action.” he whispered to her.

Her face suddenly lit up and she said, “Leeteuk oppa’s fiancée!”

The lady nodded and laughed, reintroducing herself. “That’s right! I’m Kang Soomin!”

“I’m Kim Junsu.” he supplied his name helpfully as he couldn’t get over how proud and adorable Taeyeon looked for remembering who the lady was.

“I know.” she said. “Leeteuk talks about you a lot.” A little smile was on her face and Junsu could just imagine all the things Leeteuk has said about him. He grimaced slightly while she moved her attention off of Junsu and onto his (and Taeyeon’s) hands. She raised an eyebrow questioningly and a teasing smile was on her face. “Oh? What’s this?”

Taeyeon grinned and shook her hand, causing both to shake as she held their hands up proudly. Junsu laughed a little, but opted to say nothing, just like Taeyeon. Their actions spoke for themselves.

Kang Soomin watched them exchange little smiles to each other like she wasn’t even standing in front of them. She just stared with a thoughtful look on her face before she bid them goodbye.

--

“What is this place?” asked Krystal, tone full of disbelief.

“The better question is, can we afford it?” asked Minho, looking uncomfortable in the high-class environment that they were currently seated in.

They smiled cordially at the waiters, only ordered water, and stared at the menu blankly.

“This is like some ancient, foreign language.” muttered Krystal.

“I think your ancient, foreign language is called French.” Minho helpfully supplied. She rolled her eyes at him and they stared at the menus in silence for about two minutes before exchanging a glance.

“I don’t think I like this place.” mused Krystal, picking at her dress and flipping through the menu. Minho didn’t answer. They just looked at each other for another moment before deciding that this just wasn’t going to work out.

They both got up instantaneously, leaving behind the fancy restaurant and ancient language to never be revisited again.

Minho and Krystal would continue their date elsewhere. This type of setting and this type of get up was just not them.

--

Kang Soomin entered the Park household cheerfully; that’s just how her nature was. She was cheerful.

She saw Leeteuk languidly lazing on the couch, watching some variety show. She figured it was a good a time as any to break the news to her oppa. She sat down next to him with a flourish, poking him so that she could get his attention. He didn’t even turn to look at her.

“Hey, oppa. About that Kim Taeyeon girl.” And now she had his full attention. “You should give up on her.”

“Why would you say that?” asked Leeteuk, almost enraged. (It didn’t register to him that this was his fiancée that he was talking to; she was reason enough to give up.)

“I ran into them today. Kim Taeyeon and Kim Junsu.” his fiancée said this casually as made herself comfortable on the couch.

“Okay. So what does that have to do with anything?” he asked in annoyance. He did not need his fiancée, his currently most major obstacle, saying that he should give up.

Kang Soomin shrugged and said, “It’s just that she looks happy. And kind of in love.”

“Well, she would be happy with me too!” Leeteuk immediately defended himself. “And I don’t know about the in love part, but I’m working on it!”

His fiancée gave him a searching look before saying in a thoughtful tone, “Is that so?” She didn’t mean to patronize him in any way, she was just stating her opinion. (She called it like she saw them, and she saw a happy couple.)

He huffed at the response and turned away from her. He knew that she would be happy with him too! He just knew it!

“…she would be…right?” he mumbled.

--

“You should invite him out, Sica.” said Jaejoong, tone casual but still playful.

“You’re kidding, right?” asked Jessica, not liking where this was going. It was obvious that it wouldn’t be in her favor.

“No, really. You need to meet up with him anyway to talk about Yoona, so you might as well invite him out.” He said this with confidence and assurance; Jessica felt like he was trying to sell her something.

“What’s the catch?” Jessica asked; she was always suspicious whenever Jaejoong got like this.

He grinned at her and then piped, “But I want to go too!”

Tiffany made her opinion known as she squealed into her phone and said, “Me too, me too!”

“Even Fany wants to go.” mused Jaejeoong. “So a shopping date on Sunday?”

“With you, Tiff, and Donghae? I know that’s not going to turn out well.” snorted Jessica.

“To make things more interesting though…” he said, tone thoughtful. “You should invite Yoona too.” He grinned again and Tiffany laughed. Jessica vaguely thought that the two were planning something maniacally sinister.

“Why would I do that?” asked Jessica, exasperated. “I can’t take you, Tiffany, Yoona, and Donghae all at once!”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Tiffany whined.

“I want to see how they interact. And Donghae would be so ecstatic over Yoona, he wouldn’t care if Tiffany and I tagged along.” His smile said it all; he thought that his plan was full proof. And while he did want to see how Donghae reacted to Yoona, he was more interested in how Donghae and Jessica were when they were together.

This really had been his plan all along, and yes, Tiffany was in on it. She had been texting him while she and Jessica both talked on landlines.

“No way!” she denied him his request, but Jaejoong was not to be deterred!

He picked up her cell phone from where he knew she kept it (which would be on the coffee table) and found the contact ‘Stupid Baffoon’ quite easily.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she hissed, immediately going after her phone.

Unfortunately for her, she lacked in the height department. And fortunately for him, Jaejoong did not.

He pressed the ‘call’ button with a smile and waited until someone picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hi, this is the Jaejoong you met last time and-” His sentence couldn’t get any farther as Jessica stomped on his foot, which made him drop her phone.

She caught the mobile device with a pout (and she could hear Tiffany’s tinkling laughter in the background).

“Hello?” she greeted him uncertainly. She wasn’t completely used to the idea of liking Donghae yet. The little butterflies in her stomach felt more uncomfortable than ever.

“Hi~”

“Sica wants to ask you something!” Jaejoong shouted. He was determined to be heard. He moved out of the way, jumping onto the nearest piece of furniture (the couch) to escape Jessica’s wrath.

“On Sunday, do you want to go to the mall? At around noon?” Jessica asked this as casually as she could, but it felt a little uncomfortable to her. She liked this guy. She liked her stupid buffoon. And she just kind of asked him out.

“It’s a date then.” said Donghae. His tone was light and airy; it was obvious that he didn’t think much about his words. He probably just thought that it was going to be another one of his “lets talk about Yoona” days.

“No it’s not!” Jessica immediately denied it, almost regretting how quickly she reacted.

There was a little pause before Donghae let out another word. “Okay, it’s not. Don’t be so offensive, Sica~”

“Since when could you call me Sica?” huffed Jessica, not liking the way her cheeks turned a light pink. Jaejoong laughed at her once he saw her cheeks turn a different shade. (Tiffany could be heard asking, “What’s so funny?” in the background.)

“That’s what Jaejoong calls you though.” was his reply; he sounded a little confused, but Jessica figured that Donghae was always confused.

“That’s different though.” she insisted. Jaejoong was Jaejoong, a long time friend. Donghae was just…Donghae. There were no other words to describe him.

“Whatever you say, Sica~” chimed Donghae, ending the call before Jessica could spit out a response.

She face-palmed right after she heard the click, signaling that the call ended. “I didn’t get to tell him that Yoona was coming. Or about you two.”

“You can always call him back!” chimed Tiffany.

“No, don’t. It will be more fun this way.” said Jaejoong, grinning once more. “Donghae’s funny like that.”

She looked at the phone in disbelief. “What on earth have I fallen for?” she mumbled.

“Donghae oppa likes to call himself a fish.” Tiffany quipped.

“So Sica has essentially fallen for a fish?” mused Jaejoong.

“Thanks, guys. For your ever so lovely help.” she pouted, tone whiny.

Almost as if they were in sync, Jaejoong and Tiffany cheerfully said, “You’re welcome.”

Jessica had a date (but not really) with Donghae. And Yoona, and Jaejoong, and Tiffany on Sunday.

Lord help her soul.

--chapter end.

/unedited because I wanted to get something out but I can’t look at this anymore ;D please ignore the little mistakes please! ><  next chapter should be interesting though~ haha. I’ll finish MinStal’s date next chapter and Taemin will re-. ;D look forward to Yoona, Donghae, Jessica, Jaejoong, and Tiffany all being in the same place next chapter! More TaeSuTeuk drama as TaeSu gets more couple-y and Leeteuk’s fiancée becomes more involved in the whole thing. (And Teuk is not a happy camper.)

Thanks to all the lovelies that have read, subscribed, and/or commented! You little sweethearts, you! <3