Bittersweet Night

Love Always There

“The United States looks like so much fun!!” Woohyun whined, feeling very envious of his parents and his older brother, Boohyun who were enjoying themselves in the US while Woohyun was suffering in school all the way back at home in South Korea. 

Due to the time difference, Woohyun usually only get to know about how his family members were doing via text. However, since today was a Friday, he decided to stay up a little later than usual just so he could do a video call with them. 

“Oh! Woohyun ah, I almost forgot to inform you, but we are going to be in the states for an extra week.” Woohyun’s Mum said over the video call. Woohyun’s eyes widened in surprise at the new piece of information, not able to believe what he had just heard. 

“So I have to stay over at Sunggyu hyung’s house for another week?” 

He received a nod in reply. “Umma... Can I just move back home? I promise I will take good care of myself!!” Woohyun asked quietly, pouting at his mum in hope that she would agree.

“There you go again! We told you we will be worried if you were to stay home alone, right?”

“But... I don’t think it’s very nice to interrupt on Kim Umma for so long...” 

“Aigoo, our Woohyun is all grown up!” Boohyun shouted from somewhere at the back of the room. Woohyun’s mum chuckled, “Indeed, you have grown up, Woohyun. Don’t worry! I have already informed Kim Umma, and she is fine with it.” 

Woohyun’s mum grew worried when Woohyun sighed in reply. “Woohyun, is everything alright? Do you not enjoy staying over at their house?” 

“No, that’s not it! I enjoy staying here.” Woohyun quickly answered. Everyone in the Kim’s household has been very nice to him and even treated him like he was part of their family. Woohyun really enjoyed his stay at the Kim’s household, but he was worried that he might be interrupting them too much. 

“Then there’s nothing to worry about! Umma will thank them properly when I come home, okay?” 

Woohyun nodded his head with a wild smile on his face, just like a little boy who has gotten his favourite candy. And soon, the video called ended since the family were planning to head out soon. 

Not long after the video call ended, a knock came on his door and when he turned to the door, a head has popped in. It was Sunggyu. 

“Myungsoo and I are going to order fried chicken for late-night snack, do you want some?” 

“Sure!” Woohyun gave a small smile, and Sunggyu who saw this felt that something was wrong, and decided to head in and took a seat beside Woohyun on the bed. 

“Is everything okay?” 

“I have to stay over for another week here... and I feel really bad about that...” Woohyun sighed, pouting again as he hugged his pillow close to him. 

Sunggyu smiled softly at the sight, a hand moving to ruffle Woohyun’s hand. “Silly, why do you feel bad about that?” 

“How can I not? I’m going to be here for two weeks! I don’t want to be a bother to all of you.” 

Sunggyu cupped Woohyun’s cheeks and turned the man to look at him. “Listen to me, Woohyun. No one in this family finds you a bother, okay? We are happy that you’re here with us.” 

Woohyun smiled at Sunggyu’s words, and nodded his head in response. If anything, Sunggyu always had a way to make him feel better. Be it now or then, back when they were still in middle. Without giving it a second thought, Woohyun pulled the man into a hug, throwing Sunggyu off guard. “Thank you, hyung.”

“Lovebirds, I’m sorry to interrupt your moment but I need to know how much fried chicken to order.” Myungsoo said with a cheeky grin on his face as he waved his phone in the air to them. 

Woohyun quickly pulled away from the hug, cheeks flushed red in embarrassment at the word ‘lovebirds’. “I-I need the toilet.” And he quickly ran out of the bedroom, away from the two Kim brothers. 

“Kim Myungsoo, I really hate you.” Sunggyu groaned, his hands clenching into fists to show his frustration.

//

“So...... Woohyun, are you close with Sungyeol?” Myungsoo asked, as he passed one of the fried chicken to the said man. Woohyun pondered for a moment and then nodded his head. “You can say so? We usually hang out together with Dongwoo and Hoya.” 

Pleased with the answer, Myungsoo moved closer to Woohyun, almost caging the man against the couch behind them. Sunggyu who saw this, cleared his throat loudly and successfully got the attention of the two younger men and Myungsoo knew that was a warning for him. He smiled playfully, “Oops, my bad.” and moved slightly away from Woohyun, giving the man some personal space.

“Then you probably know Sungyeol well, right?” Myungsoo asked, handing a can of cola to Woohyun who happily took the drink as he nodded again. 

“Do you happen to know if he likes anyone now?” Woohyun choked on the cola as soon as he heard the question, and he turned to Myungsoo with widened eyes. “W-what???” 

“Your reaction tells me he does have someone that he is interested in.” Myungsoo said excitedly, moving closer to Woohyun again unconsciously. “Who is it? Do I know the person? Or is it me?!” 

Sunggyu laughed at his younger brother’s question, almost in disbelief. “Yah, you really think he will take a liking for you with the way you have treated him?”

Myungsoo frowned, almost offended by what Sunggyu has just said. “Hyung, what do you mean by that!” 

“Do you not see how annoyed he is whenever you’re around him.” Sunggyu chuckled, ruffling Myungsoo’s hair. Then, he turned to Woohyun who still looked very surprised. “Am I right, Woohyun?” 

“Huh?” Woohyun looked at Sunggyu then at Myungsoo, and then took another sip of the drink. “That’s Sungyeol’s privacy, I can’t say anything...” 

“Oh come on! It’s just the three of us here! Don’t you trust us?” Myungsoo prompted, hoping to get something out of Woohyun. 

“Of course I trust you guys!” Woohyun answered immediately. Ha! I got you.

“Soooooo, who does Sungyeol has a crush on?” 

“I can’t tell you that...” Woohyun said quietly with his head low, trying to avoid any eye contact with Myungsoo. “But you can at least tell me if the person is from our school, can you?” Woohyun ignored him, and focused on eating his fried chicken instead. “Oh come on! Can’t you give me some hints?” Myungsoo whined. 

“I...” Woohyun muttered, turning to look at Sunggyu and then lowering his head again. “I really can’t say anything. It would be better if you ask Sungyeol personally.” With that, Woohyun ran back to his bedroom.

//

Myungsoo sighed as he retreated back to his now shared bedroom. He let out another sigh when he looked at his older brother. Sunggyu who has heard Myungsoo sighing, chuckled. “Are you bothered by the fact that you now have a rival?” 

“Hyung.... Usually, I am confident of winning the heart of whoever I liked but...” he sighed again as he took a seat beside Sunggyu on the bed, leaning his head on his older brother’s head. “What’s wrong? You can tell me anything, you know that, right?” Sunggyu smiled softly, leaning against Myungsoo’s head. 

“I think I know who’s Sungyeol’s crush...” Myungsoo sighed, hugging his brother to him. “I think he likes you...” 

Sunggyu pushed Myungsoo away, just enough to look at his younger brother in the face, and he looked so upset, almost defeated. “Did Woohyun tell you that?”

“I asked Woohyun, and even though he denied it... His expression and his behaviour proved that I was right...”. Earlier on when Myungsoo was questioning Woohyun regarding Sungyeol’s crush, he noticed that Woohyun would steal a glance at Sunggyu every now and then. Judging by his behaviour, Myungsoo had a feeling that Sungyeol’s crush was Sunggyu. Thus, Myungsoo decided to question Woohyun again when the younger man ran back to his room. Even though Woohyun denied that Sunggyu was Sungyeol’s crush, Woohyun’s surprised look when Myungsoo mentioned Sunggyu’s name proved that he was right. 

“You brat, do you know how I feel now?” Sunggyu said playfully as he pulled the younger man into a headlock, in hopes of brightening the atmosphere. 

“Ah hyung!” Myungsoo whined, trying to get himself out of Sunggyu’s hold but he barely managed to do so. 

“Don’t worry... you know I like Woohyun. I wouldn’t steal Sungyeol from you.” Sunggyu grinned as he ruffled Myungsoo’s soft hair. “What about this! Maybe you can try to ask Sungyeol out for lunch on Wednesday after our performance!” 

“But you said he dislike me just now...” Myungsoo mumbled dejectedly, a pout making its way to his face. 

“I was just teasing you.” Sunggyu chuckled, and then pulled his younger brother into his arms, rubbing circles on his back. “My brother is so adorable and lovable, how can anyone ever dislike him, hmm?” Myungsoo broke into a wide smile after hearing Sunggyu’s words, and it made the man feel better. So much better. “Thank you, hyung.” And pulled Sunggyu closer to himself. 

// 

“Hey, can I come in?” Sunggyu smiled warmly, popping his head into Woohyun’s room.

“Y-yes, of course.” Woohyun stuttered. That smile of Sunggyu never failed to make Woohyun’s heart skip a beat. 

Sunggyu gently closed the door behind him, walking towards the study table and seated himself across Woohyun who was sitting on his bed, about to go to sleep. 

“Err... I wanted to ask if you will be free on Wednesday afternoon?” Sunggyu asked nervously, a hand rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. When Woohyun nodded his head, a small smile broke out on Sunggyu’s face but he quickly got nervous again, wiping his sweaty palms against his shorts. “Our band will be performing after the last class this coming Wednesday... Will you come watch our performance? We can go for lunch together after my performance.” 

“Lunch together as in you and me?” Woohyun asked nervously, his heart beating faster. 

“Yea, just you and me.” Sunggyu replied, his eyes staring back at those of Woohyun’s. 

Woohyun bite the inside of his cheeks, trying to hold back the smile that was trying to make its way onto his face. He was excited, almost way too excited at the thought of going on a ‘date’ with the man in front of him. “Let’s have lunch together!” 

“I will meet you at the canteen after the performance then.” Sunggyu grinned, his smile way too wide, not hiding how happy he was at all. “I will go now then, rest well.” 

Woohyun watched as Sunggyu slowly walked towards the bedroom door, but just as he reached the door, the man turned around and walked towards him again. “Goodnight.” Sunggyu whispered, placing a soft kiss against Woohyun’s forehead before he ran out of the room.

As soon as the door closed, Woohyun hid his face in his pillow, feeling his cheeks heating up. “Oh my god.” He squealed, a shy smile on his face. 

This was definitely a great night. 

 

 


 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there!! It's been a really really long time (almost three years) since the last update, I hope everyone is doing well :) and I'm not sure if anyone will still read this but I will try to update from now on!
P.S. if any of the old readers still read this, please drop a comment and say hi hehe. new readers, please leave a comment to let me know what you think of the story so far! :)
see you guys in the next update. cheers.