Before 10PM

The Boss' Housemate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 9

Before 10PM

 

8:01PM, Gangnam

 

Minho and Sulli were seated across each other.

“Mmmm… you’re right. This is indeed good.” Said Minho.

Sulli cooked egg pancake earlier.

“I told you I can cook well.” Said Sulli.

“How did you learn to cook?” asked Minho.

“My Mom cooks really well. She said my Dad was a picky eater so she had to really be good in cooking in order to feed him.” Said Sulli.

“Where’s your Dad?” asked Minho.

“My Mom and Dad divorced when I was young. My mom went back to our province from living in Seoul.” Said Sulli.

“Your Dad is from Seoul?” said Minho.

“I think so.” Said Sulli. “I stopped asking questions about him when I was 12.”

“Why?” asked Minho.

“I realized during that time that if he loved me and my Mom, he would have tried to find us. My Mom went back to her family home, my Dad shouldn’t find it hard to locate us. But he never came.” Said Sulli.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Said Minho. “Did you try to look for him now that you’re here?”

“I have a lot of problems that needs my attention and time. Finding him is the least of my priority. Let’s not talk about him anymore. Let’s talk about something else I am a bit confused about.” Said Sulli.

“What is it?” asked Minho.

“The Award earlier. I felt awkward receiving it. Luna was the one who created the solution to the problem. I just used her old email to solve the similar issue.” Said Sulli. “I felt like I didn’t deserve the award.

Minho took another serving of the egg pancake. Sulli has started to talk casually with him again.

“Do you solve puzzles?” asked Minho.

“You mean the ones that have pictures you need to put together?” asked Sulli.

“Yes.”

“Yeah, when I was little, I used to love solving puzzles.” Said Sulli.

“Do you think the puzzle artist is great?” asked Minho.

“Yeah, the Artist is good. Sometimes the puzzle is about a painting, a view, some cartoon characters. I think the Artists are great.” Said Sulli.

“How about the puzzle solver?” asked Minho.

“Hmm… I think they need analysis to solve the puzzle. So I think they’re great too, especially if the puzzle is complicated.” Said Suli.

“In the company we’re working for, both the Puzzle Artist and the Puzzle Solver are being rewarded.” Said Minho

“Huh?”

“In your case, it was Luna who created the solution. She is the Puzzle Artist. A year ago, she was rewarded for that solution she created. This year, they rewarded you because you are a Puzzle Solver. You analysed the problem and then you looked for the best puzzle piece that would fit the issue. The puzzle pieces are already created by somebody else, but you were the one who analysed and learned that that solution is a perfect fit for the issue.” Said Minho. “That is what you call re-application.”

“So that’s what Mr. Park meant.” Said Sulli.

“Not all companies acknowledge both Puzzle Artists and Puzzle Solvers though. Some companies only acknowledge one and ignore the other. It’s good that in our company, both are acknowledged.” Said Minho.

Sulli felt like she’s enlightened.

“You are like a walking book of corporate wisdom.” Said Sulli.

“I’m a level 7 executive Sulli. It is expected that I know more than a level 1.” Said Minho.

Level 7 is no joke. To get to that level… you would need to be as full of wisdom and skilful as Minho Choi.

“When will I ever get to level 7 when I’m like this?” asked Sulli.

“Within the time that you are trying to get promoted to level 2, I will coach you remember?” asked Minho. “So it’s not impossible. But it needs time and hard work. Do you get it?”

Sulli nodded.

“As long as you would coach me, I have confidence.” Said Sulli. “I will listen to your advice for sure and work hard.”

“Then before you get promoted, you would surely change.” Said Minho. “And before you know it, you’d be ready for promotion.”

Sulli bit her lip.

She…

She had already changed because of him. Did he not realize yet?

------------------------

12:57PM, Gangnam.

Sulli has found new energy for the day. She will spend her afternoons every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with Minho’s team. Today is her first day to work with his team. Aja! This is the day she has to finally call herself a cost expert.

“Hi Ms. Lin.” Said Sulli.

“Oh, there you are.” Said Ms. Lin. “Sit down inside that room. The others are already there. The Boss will arrive soon. He just went out for lunch.”

“Oh, ok.” Said Sulli.

Sulli went inside the room and found the representatives of the different rows.

“Oh, Hi. You’re form Cost Accounting isn’t it?” asked a guy.

“Yes. And you are?”

“I’m from Purchasing together with her.” The guy pointed to the woman beside him.

“Is this your first project?” asked Sulli.

“Oh, this is actually my third or fourth.” Said the guy.

“It’s my second.” Said the woman.

“Oh.” Said Sulli.

Minho was right. Last night, he clearly said that she has to be a little bit sociable. He made sure she memorizes the frequent ice breaker questions.

“What were your previous projects?” asked Sulli. “Did you work with Mr. Choi’s team before?”

“It’s my first time working with them.” Said the woman.

“I’ve worked with them once before.” Said the guy.

“How was it?” asked Sulli.

“It was ok. Ms. Lin is an expert. Mr. Choi is a dependable Boss. The projects they handle are complicated so people that worked with them usually have to stay late in the office.” Said the guy. “But it’s rewarding. Once you deliver good results for his project, people in the company will start to acknowledge your expertise.”

“That’s good.” Said Sulli.

For promotion, getting acknowledged is essential.

Minho and his team entered the room. Minho scanned the entire room. He only looked at her for a second but it was enough to make something turn upside down inside Sulli’s stomach.

Sulli bit her lip. This giddiness has got to stop! She’s here to work. She has to focus.

-----------------

6:20PM, Gangnam.

 

Minho looked around, everyone still looks busy.

“Lin, what is the status today, any issues?” asked Minho.

“We’re still on track Boss. No issues and not expecting anything yet since we’re still in the matching phase.” Said Lin.

“Good, I will leave now. Call me if there’s anything urgent that comes up.” Said Minho.

Lin nodded. “Sure Boss.”

Minho looked around.  He noticed Sulli in one corner of the room doing some calculations.

“Why don’t we all grab dinner together?” asked Minho.

“Dinner? I thought you’re going home?” asked Lin.

“Umm… it’s the first day of the project, I think it’s good to have everyone know each other. Gather everyone, let’s have a quick dinner for the entire group.” Said Minho.

Ms. Lin nodded.

Minho saw Sulli shaking her head when Ms. Lin called her for dinner. Probably already calculating how expensive dining out is.

“You’re not eating dinner? It’s on Boss.” Said Ms. Lin.

Sulli’s eyes brightened.

Tsk!

She’s such a er for free stuff.

------------------

7:32PM, Gangnam.

 

Everyone is enjoying the roasted meat.

“Boss, you rarely do this.” Said Ms. Lin. “You should do this more often.”

Everyone agreed.

Minho saw Sulli at the other end of the table. She’s eating the meat like she could devour them.

Tsk Tsk, this girl. Can’t she act more modest and lady like?

“I hope everyone gets along well and I hope we can have a successful project.” Said Minho

Sulli could sing of joy to the moon. She hasn’t eaten meat for a long time! This feels so gooood!

“You have strong appetite.” Said a male subordinate.

Tsk! Even others are noticing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter