9

Our Little Angel

While Amber is driving back to his company, he can’t help but think about Sooyun. He knew deep inside his heart that what he is doing is wrong. A painful memory that he is trying to forget decades ago flashed back in his find.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Mom, what are we doing in this big house?” young Amber asked his mother.

 

“We’re going to meet your Grandpa Liu.” Mrs. Liu replied with a smile.

 

“I didn’t know that I still have a grandpa.” Amber replied and chuckled.

 

His mom curved a loving smile and caressed his cheek. Amber was introduced to his grandpa and then was invited to be toured around the house. When he gets back in the living room where he left them, he feels the heavy atmosphere.

 

“What’s wrong, Mom?” he asked her worriedly when he noticed that her eyes are puffy.

 

“Nothing, honey.” His mom replied curving a smile.

 

The old man walked out of the room, leaving them behind alone. Amber start to feel that there is something going on. He doesn’t understand that something bad is going to happen. Mrs. Liu kneeled in front of Amber staring at his face like memorizing every details of it.

 

“Honey, from now on you will live with your grandpa, okay?”

 

“What about you? Won’t you live here too?” Amber asked curiously and his mother lightly shook her head.

 

“I have something I needed to taken care of so I can’t live you here with you yet.” Mrs. Liu replied trying to suppress her tears.

 

Amber furrowed his brows. He doesn’t want to get separated from his mother.

 

“I’ll be coming with you then. I want to stay with you, Mom. I don’t want to live here!” Amber stated.

 

“You can’t Yiyun!” Mrs. Liu said sternly that got him a bit surprised. “Listen, I promise I will come back to here to get you after I took care of those things.”

 

“And when is that?” Amber asked with sadness in his voice.

 

“I don’t know but I promise I will come back as soon as possible.”

 

“Pinky promise?” he replied, sticking up his pinky.

 

“Pinky promise!” Mrs. Liu replied, locking up their fingers.

 

Mrs. Liu embraced her son for the last time and her tears began to fall. She quickly wiped it away before she broke their hug.

 

“Be a good boy okay? Don’t give your grandpa a headache.” Mrs. Liu said to him and curved a smile.

 

“I promise, Mom!” Amber answered and grinned.

 

-end of flashback-

 

Amber quickly stepped the break causing the car following him to almost crash on his car. The driver was yelling at him but he didn’t care. He quickly took a U-turn and get back where he left Sooyun.

 

AMBER’s POV

 

There was no night that I never cried when my Mom left me at that time.  I waited for her to come back for me and get me but she never show up. Each day that passed by, my hope for her to come back slowly fades and my hatred towards her started to build up. I hated my mother because what she did hurt me badly and I don’t want Sooyun to experience that kind of pain. I run going inside the amusement park and stopped at a distance, looking at the innocent kid who is waiting for me patiently. She looks happy and I know she was expecting that we will really going to look for her mother today.

 

“Appa! She called me happily when she saw me.

 

She jumped off the bench and run towards me.

 

“You came back too fast.” She stated and giggled.

 

“Y-Yeah.” I replied and curved a smile.

 

“Are we going to look for Umma now?” she said, holding my hand and look at me with expectant eyes.

 

“Aren’t you hungry? Let’s eat first. I’m already hungry.” I replied to her and she rolled her eyes on me.

 

“Alright! But we will look for Umma after, okay?” she stated.

 

“Okay.” I replied with an apologetic smile

 

“You are really wasting my time Appa.”

 

I picked her up and carried her.

 

“I’m sorry, Sooyun.”

 

“It’s okay. You’re hungry after all.” She replied. “You’re lucky Sooyun loves you Appa.” She continued and curved a smile.

 

I smiled in respond to her statement.

 

‘ I am not apologizing for that. I’m really apologizing for trying to abandon you.’

 

After we had our lunch, I brought her in one clothing store to buy some clothes for her. We start roaming around and she suddenly stopped in her trance.

 

“Appa! It’s Umma!” she exclaimed pointing in one direction.