Busan

...And When A Legend Is True

It was good that they did not have any appointment that Saturday, and He Yi was free too. So, that early morning, they all went to the airport to fly to Busan.

The Kang family were among the richest in the area, but they were also among the most amiable among their neighbors. No one would ever wonder where Shin Woo got his perfect manners.

 

The gang set up a camping sight near the river, which looked so serene that one would want to go swimming. The princess went along with all their activities, even learning how to cook barbecue. It was the first time that she had cooked food in her entire life. She then had a resolve to loiter in the royal kitchen to help the chef cook, and the baker bake some cakes.

 

That afternoon, the girls (Yu Ri included...president with perks, right?) went to a bridge up a small hill, far from the camping site. He Yi chanced upon some persimmon fruits from the persimmon trees across the bridge. When they got there, Amy was the first to step on the wooden bridge. It was very old, and some of the wooden steps were broken. The height of the bridge down the river was that of a one-storey building. It was not that high, but it was still dangerous.

"Should we continue? Like, it is dangerous," Sa Yu Ri said.

"I don't think we should. I should give up on the persimmons," He Yi said. It was so unlike her to give up.

Amy was already on the third step when Mi Nyu announced that they should all go back. As the princess was about to take a step back, the second and third wooden steps gave way, and Amy fell. Mi Nyu was quick, and held the princess' hands.

"Hold on! I'm calling for help!" He Yi said in panic. She did not panic in the elevator, but she panicked here. She ran as fast as she could to ask for help to the camping site down below.

Yu Ri, though skinnier than everyone else, was as strong as an ox. She held Mi Nyu's waist as not to drag all of them down. One leg was anchored to a nearby rock, and it was starting to bleed because of the friction. The princess was struggling to hold Mi Nyu's hands, but both of their hands were too smooth. Mi Nyu was in the verge of tears, yet determined to pull the princess up.

****

Shin Woo was the first to notice He Yi hurriedly going down the hill. He was not able to finish his tea when she spoke to them.

"Jebal dowa (Please help me)!" she cried. "The princess almost fell..."

"Mwo????" Jeremy asked in great emotions. He immediately stood up and ran to the hill. The rest of them, Mr. Manchester included, ran to the spot.

 

When they reached the bridge, Yu Ri was also struggling in her grip. Mi Nyu might be heavy, but Yu Ri got her. Mi Nyu was still struggling with Amy when Jeremy stretched out his hand for the princess to hold. It was in a nick of time that they came; otherwise, the princess would have fallen down the river. Shin Woo and Mi Nam helped Mi Nyu and Yu Ri out of their own dilemma.

Jeremy was about to lift Amy up when, unfortunately, her hand slipped, and she fell to the river. Jeremy did not waste time and jumped into the river, not even taking his t-shirt off.

"Jeremy!" everybody shouted. They watched as the two bodies hit the river. Tae Kyung and Mr. Mancester ran to the other side down the hill to meet the current and rescue Jeremy and Amy.

He Yi felt so guilty, that she sat on the rock and cried. Shin Woo and Mi Nyu comforted her, stating that it was not her fault. After all, when they saw how dangerous the bridge was, He Yi even proposed abandoning the persimmon mission.

"If anything is gonna happen to them, I will never eat persimmon again," He Yi cried.

****

Jeremy saw Amy struggling in the water. He swam after her and gave her a hug. He also rose her up so that her head will be above the water level, and he did the same with his. He struggled to swim with the current, then slowly shifting his attention to swim to the sides to get to dry land. Good thing, Mr. Manchester was there, holding a piece of wood for Tae Kyung to hold. Tae Kyung's grip on the wood was strong, so it was good. The vocalist reached out his hand for Jeremy to hold, and thus, the two victims were rescued out of the water.

"Princess!" Mr. Manchester wept as he hugged the princess tight. He was old enough to be her elder brother that he had started to gain the little sister affection for her.

The princess tapped her bodyguard on his shoulders. "I am fine, Sir," she told him. "A little warmth and I will be fine."

"But you are not used to getting wet even in the rain," he argued.

The princess let out a soft chuckle. "Really? I used to bathe in the rain with Jeremy in my childhood."

The bodyguard shed tears as he carried the princess to the camp site. Tae Kyung also aided Jeremy who was shivering hard.

*****

It was dusk when the group gathered at the bonfire. He Yi kept on asking for forgiveness, but the princess forgave her nonetheless. Of course, she heard her friends abandoning the plan of crossing the bridge. It was just unfortunate that the wooden steps gave way and she fell. That was her logic.

Shin Woo smiled. At least, he had known someone who was as logical as he is. It was also good that the princess and Jeremy felt good being warm in front of the bonfire, and both of them were no longer shivering. 

Jeremy was still sobbing because he felt he almost died. Tae Kyung could have cut him some slack had the princess not intervened. She approached him, embraced him, and placed her chin on his shoulder.

"Don't cry now, Jeremy," she crooned. "It's OK."

Mr. Manchester rubbed his hand to his eyes. His princess was really a gracious and strong being. For him, it would be very fortunate for Jeremy to win her heart again.