They care? Or they don't?

Sweets of Life

Chapter 2 - They care? Or they don't?

 

“Kyu.. You. Have. To. Help. Me.” I said to him once the class was over.

 

“Waeyo?”

 

“My parents are coming back to Korea!”

 

“Jinja?? Okay, I’ll help you.. But in one condition..”

 

“What now?”

 

“Cakes.” He smiled at me. This kid, he’s 19 but he’s more than just childish. I think his brain was a four years old kid’s brain.

 

“Aish.. Arasso..”

 

“What should I do then?”

 

“Just.. Tell Mal that I’ll be gone for two days.. I’ll promise I’ll be back after two days..”

 

“Okay..” He said while humming a song.


”Oh, and you have to assure my sister that I’ve been going out with you this past 2 weeks okay? Please..” I pleaded to him. Because once my sister finds out, then my parents will find out. And once my parents find out. My life in Korea will be over because they would send me to idontknowwhere. Maybe they’ll send me to the Far Far Away like the one in Shrek.

 

“Don’t worry hyung, I’ll be a good dongsaeng for you..”

 

Maybe you’re wondering why dose he call me hyung when we’re in the same year and class. It’s not that I’m stupid. It’s because he’s way too smart. He skipped a year when he was in junior high. Smart right?

 

And for just information, I’m not doing bad in my study. We’re the top students here.

 

Okay, forget it.

 

“You’re going home? Now?” He asked me while I went to the basement.

 

“What do you expect? They might be arrived in no time.” I said to him.

 

“Hyung.. Drop me at the shop.. I don’t bring any money no take a public transport..” He said.

 

“Aish.. What’s the point of inheriting a house then.. You don’t even bring any money..” I said to him as I motioned him to go in the passenger seat.

 

This boy is incredibly rich. I don’t know why but, he never wanted to drive his own car. And maybe you’re wondering why did he work at a cake shop right? He’s not really working, he just didn’t like being alone. So he decided to came by the cake shop and lend some help.

 

It’s a little bit harsh to say this but.. He’s a little bit broken home. He rarely talked to his parents. And moreover he’s the only child of the family.

 

“Hyung, are you going to kill us?” Kyujong said, placing his hand on his chest.

 

“Wae-.. Oh, we’re here..”

 

“Seriously hyung.. you’re driving at 100kmph even where there’re a lot of cars here..” He said and opened the door.

 

“Yah, don’t forget to tell Mal.” I said before he closed the door behind him. Then I continued my way home. Would they be home already? I wonder what other things they’re going to say.

 

*riing riing*

 

“Yah! Where are you?!” I heard my nuna yelled on the phone. I could still hear it even I already put it way far from my ear.

 

“Aish nuna.. I’m going to be deaf soon if you keep on yelling like that.”

 

“I don’t care, they’re here already.. So you better get back home in 5 minutes.. I don’t want any war in this house..” She said then hung up. She got the point there. If I and my parents meet up. There might be a war.

 

“Dear God, please help me to keep my patience when I reach home..” I mumbled. Really, 5 out of 7 meetings I had with my parents, it ended in a cold war.

 

-----

 

“Welcome back.. Youngsaeng n-“ The house keeper stopped after I looked at him.

 

“Oh, you’re here.” My father said once I entered the living room. He was there, watching TV while taking a sip of his coffee. Wow, he knew that I’m home. I wonder what happened to him when he’s going overseas.

 

“De.” I said and went to my room. Afraid that after a few words there will be a war.

 

“Youngsaeng-ah.. Open the door..” Nuna knocked the door. Even though we bicker so much, there’s one thing that we both agree. Our parents are selfish.

 

At first I didn’t really want to start a war with them. And actually it happened the same to my sister. She was forced to go into business while she wanted to go in art. Until one day I found her, committing to suicide in her room. It’s the first and only time that I hugged her, calming her down. Both my parents weren’t really affected by the incident. They kept doing it, until I couldn’t hold it anymore. So yeah, I exploded in front of them.

 

And now they’re doing it to me. Maybe they’re afraid they I’ll commit to suicide like how my sister did. But really, I’m not that stupid to commit suicide. (I don’t have any intention to say that my sister is stupid). So yeah, maybe they’re afraid I could’ve done things that worse from what my sister did. But I believe that they wouldn’t really care.

 

So, in the end they came up with 2 choices for me.

 

I wanted to do some revenge, but my sister prevented me. Saying to just obey them, or else--well, she said we’ll get to that later if that happened.

 

“Yah.. Did you hear me?” Nuna said, snapping me out from my thoughts.

 

“Did you even say anything?”

 

“Aish.. Try to listen would you..” She smacked my head lightly.

 

“Fine.. Tell me now..” I said, offering her my ear.

 

“I’m serious..”

 

“Arasso.. What is it?”

 

“I don’t know.. It’s just.. They’re a little bit strange today.. Don’t you think so?” She said to me.

 

“Yeah, he greeted me when I got home earlier.. Weird..” I said, turning on my PSP and played a game.

 

“Will you be serious for just a few seconds? I think they’re planning something.. You have to be careful..” She said.

 

“Aish.. There’s no way they would do that.. I could do things that’s worse than what you’ve done..”

 

“Don’t.. Even think about that..”

 

“Well worse doesn’t mean I’ll suicide for sure..” I said to her.

 

“Aigoo.. Whatever.. Just do as you like..” She said and went out from my room. But then, she opened the door and said, “Hey, they’re calling for you.. Saying we should eat dinner.. Together..” Then she finally left.

 

Having dinner? Together? They seemed to be having a fever.

 

Well, in the end I went downstairs. To ate together. But I stayed in silence.

 

“Youngsaeng-ah..” My dad said.

 

 O..kay.. That’s weird. He never really called out my name before. He usually went with “You” or “Hey”, yeah.. Something like that.

 

“Hm?” I managed to answer like that. It seemed that I’m not a good son right? Frankly, it’s not really like that. That’s the way how I responded to their words after my sister’s incident.

 

“We’ve been thinking that maybe you should join the company now..” What did he say? Join the company? Oh please.

 

“Why? Why all of a sudden?” I said, trying to stay calm. I should think about happy things.

 

“To gain experience before graduating of course..” My mom spoke up.

 

I’ve thought about this thing sometimes. Is she really my mom? The one that gave birth to me? Because I’ve never felt a mother’s love before. I think..

 

“I refuse..” I said. But just as usual. They came up with more things to debate.

 

“It’s for your own future.. You should go.. You’ll be inheriting the company you know..” My mom said again.

 

“I choose my own future.. It has nothing to do with the both of you..”

 

“Of course it has something to do with us! You’re our son! And no matter what you’re going to inherit the company and join the company in three days.”

 

“No, I don’t wish to.” I dropped my spoon and stood up, wanted to go to my room.

 

“Fine! Just go. And I’ll make sure you won’t get anything for whole your life.” She said, and my dad just sat still on his place.

 

“Just do it then.. I don’t mind.” I said and went upstairs.

 

“Go then! I don’t need a son like you!” She yelled when I’m halfway to my room.

 

“ ‘I don’t need a son like you’ huh? Did you ever think that I’m your son? You know.. I’ve once thought are you really my mother? After all that you’ve done to me and my sister? Did you even care? You didn’t even know how much pain that she had been through.. And it’s all because of your selfishness.. Running the company and making money, that’s all you could do. You didn’t even think that you have children to take care.” I said to her and slammed the door behind me.

 

“You can just go out from this house then!!” She yelled from downstairs.

 

Now that she had given me permission, that means I’m free to leave this place.

 

“Yah.. Are you really leaving? You’re going to leave? Just like this?” Nuna came up to me while I was in the front gate. It’s no fun right? No one’s shouting to prevent you from going. But yeah, that’s my life.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll text you everyday..” I said to her.

 

“Are you trying to be mushy?” She said.

 

“Seriously.. You’re kind of rude you know. You didn’t even prevent me to go..”

 

“You’re still going even if I prevent it..”

 

“Oh, you got the point there.. Don’t worry.. You’ll find me at a cake shop near my uni.” I smiled at her.

 

“Yah. You’re still hanging on it aren’t you?” She asked me.


”What do you think?”

 

“Aish, whatever.. Uhm.. You’re only bringing those things?” She asked, pointing at the things on my hand. I only brought my phone, my wallet and my PSP.

 

“Yeah.. I’ll be staying at a friend’s house.. You should know who that friend is.. My other things are all there.. So you should not worry..” I said and waved at her.

 

“You’re not taking your car?”

 

“No, keep that.. For me..”

 

-----

 

Leaving a house like that was no fun at all. But there’s a good thing though.

 

At least I could start a brand new day without even thinking of starting a war with my parents.