The Beginning

Sweets of Life

Chapter 1 - The beginning

 

“Two Almond Dacquoise for table three.” For information, Dacquoise made with layers of almond and hazelnut meringue and whipped cream or buttercream.

 

“Orders for table thirteen are ready!” I said to them, but no one responded to me.

 

“Kyu, could you bring this to table thirteen?” He was busily eating his dinner. Well, he hasn’t eat for a whole day.

 

“Aigoo.. Where are those guys..” He said, he stood up and took a tray and placed the orders on it. “Anyway hyung, make an opera for me later okay..” He said, smirking at me and off to table thirteen.

 

So, here I am. Work as a part-timer in a pâtisserie and café. Yeah, it’s both cake shop and a café. I have a duty to make cakes here. Well, rather than a duty. It should be called a hobby. Making sweets. That’s my thing.

 

And forgive me for blabbering so much without even introducing myself. My name’s Youngsaeng. That’s all for now, the rest.. Well.. You’ll know it eventually.

 

“Hyung.. It’s almost nine.. Let’s go back now..” Kyujong said to me.

 

“Huh? It’s almost time already? Wow.. Time flies..” I mumbled.

 

“The customers on table three want their cakes to be done faster..” Someone said.

 

“Tell them to wait five more minutes..” I said to him, trying to keep my patience.

 

Why did they have to come here if they’re in a rush.. They should know that this café only serves freshly made cakes and sweets. Some customers are really irritating sometimes. What did they think I am? A robot? But still, I have to hang on if I still want my job as a pâtissier. Even though I’m not really a pâtissier, but let’s just consider that I am one.

 

So, where was I before Kyujong interrupted?

 

Oh, well as you could see I love cakes and sweets. Both making and eating. About how could I end up here working at this pâtisserie. (Well, just make it pâtisserie since I’m only making sweet things here). Okay, about how I ended up here. Like what I’ve said, you’ll know it eventually along with my background.

 

“The Dacquoises are ready!” I said, a waiter came to picked it up. “I’m off now.” I said to the others

 

“De, thanks!!” They said.

 

“Don’t forget to lock it up properly after you’re all done okay.” Kyujong said as he tossed the key to one of them.

 

“Hurry up, my bloody sister would kill me if she finds out..” I said and went in the car.

 

“Hyung, just drop me at the bus station okay.. I still have another thing to do..” He said and went in the passenger seat.

 

“I really wish I could go home a little bit late than I have to..” I said to him.

 

“Just get out from the lion’s cage then.. Well, if you can..” He smirked at me.

 

“Do you want me to drop you off here?” I said, stopping the car.

 

“I was kidding.. Go on.. The bus station is still a few blocks from here..” He said, but still chuckling.

 

“No cakes from me for a whole week..”

 

“W-why??”

 

“I just wanted to.. Got a problem?”

 

“No, nothing..” He said, but he was smiling, that devil smile. That means, he’s up to something. Something good for him, and mostly not for me.

 

“See you tomorrow hyung..” He said at me and went to the bus station.

 

Again, I went back alone to my home. Well, if you could call it home when it’s not even like one. A home would be a warm place that always greet you when you’re tired or something. But this home of mine was more like a zoo rather than a castle. Well, what I meant zoo was not because of the animals on the zoo. It’s the cage. The cages on the zoo. The one that used to locked up some meat lovers.

 

“Welcome back Youngsaeng-nim.” One of the house keeper said once I arrived at home.

 

“It’s Youngsaeng.. Just Youngsaeng..” I said to him. “Uhm.. Has she.. comeback?” I whispered at him. And he perfectly knew who was she that I asked.

 

“Yes, she’s in the dining room..”

 

Crap. I’ll die.

Maybe I shouldn’t go back home in the first place.

 

I wanted to rushed to my room right after I stepped my feet into the big cage (which was my home).

 

“Where do you think you’re going Youngsaeng sshi..” She said behind me, I was going upstairs and I’ve made sure that no one followed me. But here she was. Right behind me.

 

“That’s creepy..” I turned my head over and look at her.

 

“Where. Did. You. Go.” Uh-oh. She said the word. I’m dead.

 

“Nowhere.. I went with Kyujong.. You could ask him..” I said to her with a straight face.

 

“Yah! Do you think I’ll believe that!” She yelled at me when I rushed into my room.

 

If you’re in game, you’re going to get a red alert. Because a lion was running after you.

 

So yeah, you’ll get what lion’s cage mean. My sister is a lion. And there’s a cage here. So when I stepped into this place. That means I’m in a lion’s cage.

 

I didn’t call her lion because she look like one. But she’s scary. Just like a lion, not lioness. Lioness are less scary than lion itself. As you should’ve known already now, I don’t really like my sister, nor that she like me so much.

 

“Yah! Open the door!” She knocked my door hardly. Almost banging.

 

“And nuna will eat me.. No way.” I said jokingly.

 

“Seriously Heo Young Saeng. You’re here in this world not only to make an unfunny joke. Open the door.” She said in a more serious tone.

 

“And. Wae.”

 

“Aish.. What will mom and dad said once they come back here.. Fine, do as you like.” She said.

 

Yeah, as long as I do fine there. That’s what they always said.

 

Really, being a university student was not really that great. High school was better. Because you don’t need to think a lot in high school. Just be a good student, and you’ll pass to the next grade easily.

 

They (which were my parents) gave me 2 choices. Music or business.

 

Which left me with one and only choice. Music. I love music like I how I love making cakes. So there’s music on my things list. But still, I felt like I was being forced to took this major. Because, going to France was what I really wanted.

 

And since I couldn’t make any cakes in my.. home. I had to sneaked out everyday, and went back home at night. But it was worth it, so there’s no problem with it.

 

“Youngsaeng nim.. The dinner is ready..”

 

“I told you.. It’s Youngsaeng.. Just Youngsaeng.. You don’t have to add nim.. This is not a castle..” I said and went out from my room. My lovely scary nuna was waiting in the dining room.

 

“I thought you’ve eaten..” I said to her.

 

“I have.. I just want to tell you something. And listen to me, this is important.”

 

“Important?” I asked her. Most of the things that she said it was important were not important for me.

 

“Important enough if you still want to continue your study here, or else.. You’re going to study business thing..”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Mom called me earlier.. She said they will fly to Korea.. By this night..” Oh no, now that’s important. “And make sure that tomorrow you’re already home at 6. I don’t care what you’ve been doing this past two weeks. But please listen to me once, just once. If you don’t want us to get into trouble.”

 

I didn’t know what I should do. Why did they have to return tomorrow. There’s no way I’m going to lose it after 2 weeks. I need to do something.