Round 05: Vs. Charmeleon

Pokémon Journey - Discontinued

...Round 05: Vs. Charmeleon...

Name: Park Miyoung (Undecided) 박미영
Age: 15
Trivia: Allergic to olives
???: -

Current Pokémon Party:

Koko (10) 
 Hardy Nature
Nana (5) 
 Relaxed Nature

 

-
-

 

-
-

 

Name: Lee Dari (Undecided) 이달이
Age: 16
Trivia: Allergic to pollen and partially dust
???: -

Current Pokémon Party:

Pulp (10) 
 Quiet Nature
Kyte (7) 
 Calm Nature

 

-
-

 

-
-

 

Name: Ok Taecyeon (Trainer) 옥택연
Age: 17
Trivia: Allergic to almonds
Badges: **

Current Pokémon Party:

Char (50) 
 Naughty Nature
Po (50) 
 Brave Nature

 

Pi (45) 
 Modest Nature
Shift (49) 
 Sassy Nature

 

Pidge (50) 
 Hardy Nature
Gal (56) 
 Calm Nature

 

 

She stretched upwards, clinging to the feeling of relief in her shoulders before letting out a shout.

"Alright!~" Miyoung declared, placing her hands on her hips. "I'm ready! Let's go challenge the Gym Leader!"

Dari yawned, hiding it behind her hand. 

"Isn't it a bit early Miyoung?" she asked, rubbing away a tear that had pricked her eye. 

"What?!" Miyoung retorted, sounding appalled. "How can you still be tired after all the sleep we just had?!"

"Miyoung, you kept me up an extra four hours with your chatter about your expectations on the Gym Leader from how you would enter to what you would say to how you would win to how you might lose to how you shouldn't be upset to how you should try a contest," Dari rapidly reminded, frowning. "How could I not be tired?"

Miyoung blinked.

"Good point."

Taecyeon and Dari exchanged looks. 

"Manaphy bless this girl with some brain power please," Dari mumbled.

"Manaphy?! Where?" Miyoung questioned, eyes shining as she looked around. 

And Dari sighed.

...

Name: Jang Wooyoung (Gym Leader) 장우영 
Age: 25
Quote: "Don't stop 오늘 밤은 떠오르는 모든 생각은 비워 버리고는 다같이 즐겨 봐 Oh."
Badge: Thunder Badge

Current Pokémon Party:

Raichu (48) 
 -
Electrode (48) 
 Lum Berry

 

Magnezone (48)
 Liechi Berry
Electivire (48) 
 -

 

Jolteon (48) 
 Shuca Berry
Ampharos (48) 
 Petaya Berry

 

 

"So this is the Vermillion Gym?" 

"Yup."

The brown-roofed building loomed over them, the sign out in front clearly indicating its function.

"And we're going to battle here...?"

"That's what you two decided."

He looked to the two girls who stared at the building so hard he was surprised it didn't blink from their scrutiny.

"Where's the Gym Leader?"

He spotted a paper on the door, eyes scanning it. He frowned and scratched his head.

"That's odd. He called me up and told me he'd be here by now. Where'd that knucklehead go?" he wondered aloud, the words barely out of his mouth when a clear voice cut into his concentration. 

"Raichu Thunder Wave!"

Taecyeon looked up and called out his own attack reflexively. 

"Pi Agility!"

A Pikachu appeared out of one of the six pokéballs hanging from Taecyeon's waist and swiftly pushed Taecyeon out of the way just as a strong Thunder Wave struck where he had been only seconds before. 

Taecyeon groaned and looked up, squinting his eyes at the sun and sighing. 

"Wooyoung you idiot! What if I hadn't dodged?!" he shouted in complaint as a blonde male with his Raichu jumped down from the roof, beaming. 

"As if. Then I'd demand a rematch with your title on the line," the blonde male teased, chuckling. He looked to the two girls. "Who are they? Are you two-timing so blatantly Taecyeon?"

"No," Taecyeon denied, rolling his eyes. He picked himself up, brushing off the dirt. "They're my traveling companions."

"I'm Miyoung and this is Dari!" Miyoung introduced, smiling. "And we're here to challenge you for the...what badge was it?"

"Thunder Badge," Dari reminded, giving the blonde a strange look. "And you are the Gym Leader?"

"That's me. I'm Jang Wooyoung. Nice to meet the lovely ladies' aquaintance," the blonde declared, bowing exaggeratedly. "Although, I feel I should warn you I'm a Gym Leader for a reason. How about battling one of my students first? If you win, then we'll heal your Pokémon up and battle ok?"

"That's a promise then!" Miyoung declared, smiling. "Let's go!~"

Dari glanced between the blonde, Miyoung, and Taecyeon.

"Fine," Dari agreed reluctantly. "Where's the guy?"

...

Name: Lee Jaehwan (Gym-Leader-In Training) 이재환  
Age: 14
Quote: "이제 시작 뿐야. "
Mentor: Jang Wooyoung

Current Pokémon Party:

Pikachu (23) 
 -
Elekid (23)
 -

 

-
-

 

-
-

 

 

"Since when did you accept a student?" Taecyeon asked the blonde, the two sitting in an area behind the girls. 

"Recently," Wooyoung answered, smiling. "I liked his guts and his perseverance. Plus, his type choice was just my style."

"Who's up first then?" the blonde boy asked, throwing a pokéball into the air. A Pikachu appeared in a burst of light, sparks already lighting its cheeks.

"Me!" Miyoung declared, raising a hand. She beamed as she threw a pokéball of her own into the air. "Nana, time to shine!"

"A Nidoran? Nice type match-up," her opponent complimented, raising an eyebrow. 

"Thanks. I'm Miyoung, challenger of the Vermillion Gym! You?" she asked politely.

"I go by Jaehwan. Electric Pokémon are my type and I aim to be the future Leader of the Vermillion Gym," the male introduced, bowing exaggeratedly. 

"Picked up the lame move from the teach?" Dari mumbled under her breath. Miyoung elbowed her.

"Be nice," she chided, smiling. "I think it's cute."

"You think everything's cute. Or funny. Or entertaining," Dari pointed out, raising an eyebrow. 

"Exactly," Miyoung declared, nodding pointlessly. 

"Alright alright," Wooyoung called out, catching the youngsters' attentions. "Time to start the battle then. Ready? Begin!"

Park Miyoung vs. Lee Jaehwan

 

"Pikachu, Quick Attack!" Jaehwan ordered immediately.

"Nana, dodge and use Scratch!" Miyoung shouted, pointing a finger at her opponent. 

The yellow Pokémon moved to obey and rushed towards the Nidoran who dodged by a hair's breadth and Scratched its opponent on target right across the eyes. Jaehwan's Pikachu cried out in pain and swiped out randomly, Nidoran dodging and landing another Scratch attack on the Pokémon. 

"Good job Nana! Keep it up!" Miyoung encouraged, smiling. 

"Pikachu jump up in the air," Jaehwan commanded, the yellow Pokémon obeying immediately. "Now use Thunder Shock to cover the whole field!"

"Nana jump!" Miyoung called at the same time Pikachu released his attack, just in time. The two small Pokémon landed on the ground unharmed, staring each other down. Pikachu rubbed his eyes and struggled to open them.

"Nana Scratch!" Miyoung yelled, sensing the opportunity. 

"Pikachu dodge with Quick Attack!" Jaehwan shouted, Pikachu obeying just in time to dodge Miyoung's Nidoran but unlucky to crash into the wall of the battlefield as a result. 

"Ouch," Dari mumbled.

"Sorry Jaehwan but this is opportunity! Nidoran Scratch once more!" Miyoung declared, pointing at the yellow Pokémon with fervor. 

"Pikachu wait then use Thunder Shock!" Jaehwan ordered. 

Nidoran moved closer to attack and between the cracks of his eyes, Pikachu spotted the attack and countered, striking Nana squarely. 

"Nidoran is down for the count! This round goes to Jaehwan," Wooyoung shouted, raising a hand to indicate the victor. "Miyoung, your next Pokémon please?" 

Miyoung bit her bottom lip, returning Nana to her pokéball.

"Thanks Nana. You did beautifully," Miyoung complimented, kissing the top of the pokéball. She pulled out her other one, throwing it into the air. "Koko, time to shine!"

"Squirtle-Squir!" Koko called out, posing confidently. Jaehwan and Miyoung chuckled. 

"Ready?" Wooyoung asked, looking between the contestants. He grinned. "Begin!"

"Koko Tail Whip then Tackle," Miyoung ordered. 

"Pikachu Growl then Quick Attack," Jaehwan commanded at the same time. 

Both Miyoung's Squirtle and Jaehwan's Pikachu let out their first attacks at once, lowering defense and attack of each other's opponents at once. The two Pokémon darted at each other at once, both dodging by mere millimeters. 

"Koko Bubble!" Miyoung shouted immediately, seeing the opportunity.

"Pikachu Dodge!" Jaehwan yelled, eyes widening. 

Koko's Bubble attack landed spot-on, damaging Pikachu's eyes. 

"Koko Bubble!" Miyoung repeated, seeing victory in sight.

"Pikachu Thunder Shock!" Jaewhan ordered in response. 

The small blue Pokémon obeyed, sending Bubbles at the yellow Pokémon. Pikachu's vision - however hindered - allowed him to dodge and return Koko's attack, the spherical Bubbles and swift Thunder meeting in the middle and kicking up dust. 

The trainers covered their eyes and coughed at the risen dust, looking only once all the debris had settled. 

Jaehwan breathed a sigh of relief while Miyoung frowned. Wooyoung chuckled. 

"The battle between Jaehwan and Miyoung is over. Jaehwan - with one remaining Pokémon - wins," Wooyoung announced. Miyoung and Jaehwan raced to their knocked out Pokémon and then met in the middle. 

"That was a good battle for your first time," Jaehwan complimented, smiling. "Next time though, I suggest not attacking Pikachu's eyes. I'd rather he can see in the future."

"My bad," Miyoung excused, chuckling sheepishly. "I'll work on that. If only Koko had not tied with Pikachu though. I wanted to see your other Pokémon."

"Well I was planning on using her against your friend anyways," Jaehwan admitted, throwing a careless gesture at Dari's direction. "So why don't you sit back?" 

"I hope she kicks your ," Miyoung teased, chuckling. 

"What a scary friend," Jaehwan threw back, laughing along.

The two separated as Wooyoung took Jaehwan's Pikachu to heal while Jaehwan battled Dari with his other Pokémon. 

"Kick his ," Miyoung encouraged, rewarded with Dari's rare half-smile. 

"Maybe," she stated noncommittedly. "It won't be easy."

"That's why it'd be cooler if you did," Miyoung pointed out. Dari rolled her eyes. 

"Just because it's cooler doesn't mean it'll happen," Dari teased, flicking Miyoung's forehead. 

"Hey!" Miyoung complained just as Wooyoung took his place in the stands once more. 

"Ready?" Wooyoung questioned, looking over the two battlers. The two nodded and Wooyoung smiled. "Alright then. Begin!"

Lee Dari vs. Lee Jaehwan

"Pulp Leech Seed," Dari ordered immediately at the same time Jaehwan called out, "Elekid Leer!"

Dari's Bulbasaur had a clear shot to latch a Leech Seed onto Jaehwan's Elekid, vines wrapping around the yellow Pokémon, but had her defense lowered in return.

"Pulp Vine Whip," Dari commanded, throwing a fervid hand out as her voice began to rise. 

"Elekid Swift!" Jaehwan shouted in unison, his louder voice almost drowning out Dari's calmer one. 

Pulp reached Elekid first, wrapping her vines around the yellow Pokémon and receiving a faceful of stars in return. Unceremoniously slamming the Elekid off to the side, Pulp winced and backed up, frowning. 

"Pulp use Tackle!" Dari yelled, spotting her chance as Elekid stood in a daze. 

"Elekid dodge!" Jaehwan shouted desperately. 

Pulp made firm contact with Elekid, sending the Pokémon flying but Elekid landed safely on her feet and before long, the two - Pulp and Elekid - stood facing each other once more. Elekid winced as Leech Seed continued to sap her energy. 

"Elekid Low Kick!" Jaehwan ordered, continuing the battle in unison with Dari's call, "Pulp dodge and use Growl!" 

Elekid brushed against Pulp's feet but slid under the jumping Pokémon, taking a Growl attack face-to-face. 

Jaehwan frowned, biting onto his bottom lip. 

"Pulp Vine Whip once more!" Dari shouted. Jaehwan's lips twitched upward.

"Elekid get caught and then use Thunder Shock!" he ordered. Dari and Miyoung shared horrified looks. 

"Pulp do-"

Dari warned her green Pokémon too late and taking a strong electric attack directly, she was unsurprised when Pulp fell to the ground weakly. 

"Dari's Bulbasaur is unable to battle. This round goes to Jaehwan," Wooyoung called out, eliciting a frown from Dari and a smile from Jaehwan. 

"Did you see me?" Jaehwan cheered brightly, waving enthusiastically at his mentor. 

Dari returned Pulp to her pokéball with a sincere sign of gratitude before revealing her other Pokémon. 

"Let's go, Kyte!" Dari called out, her Mantyke floating a few inches above the ground. She frowned. The type match-up was terrible but..."We can beat 'em!" 

"Ready?" Wooyoung asked, receiving nods from both trainers. He smiled. "Then start!" 

"Kyte use Supersonic! When you see an opening, use Bubble on Elekid's eyes!" Dari began, earning a giggle from Miyoung. 

"Elekid use Shock Wave! Let's end this in one hit!" Jaehwan declared, pointing at the blue water-type Pokémon. 

Kyte's Supersonic Confused Elekid immediately, letting Elekid hurt herself in her Confusion. 

"Kyte Bubble," Dari ordered at the same time Jaehwan called out, "Snap out of it! Elekid Shock Wave!"

Kyte dodged Elekid's randomly thrown attack with ease, calmly aiming and throwing her own attack at her opponent. 

"Kyte Tackle!" Dari shouted, her nerves on edge as the battle picked up its pace. 

"Elekid Quick Attack!" Jaehwan commanded, bouncing on his toes anxiously. 

The two Pokémon crashed together in the center of the battlefield, taking mutual damage before separating to their respective sides of their field, panting. 

"Kyte Tackle once more!" Dari yelled at the same time Jaehwan screamed, "Elekid Quick Attack again!" 

Kyte and Elekid headed for each other once more, the stamina battle peaking just as Elekid, still Confused, veered off her path. The two trainers and other onlookers could only watch as Kyte skid to a stop and Elekid crashed. Into a rock. And knocked out. 

Silence. 

And finally someone spoke - someone laughed

"Bwahaha!" Jaehwan genuinely laughed, wiping away a tear at the corner of his eye. The laugh was genuine but the listeners could hear the bitter tinge. "My gosh Elekid." 

He walked onto the field, picking up his fallen Elekid and smiling slowly. 

"You tried your best up until the end," he complimented. He turned to Dari. "Ready for our next battle?"

Dari looked to him and his Pokémon before sighing. 

"Don't be ridiculous," she snapped gruffly, picking up her own Pokémon gently. "Kyte's too hurt and I don't have enough confidence in miracles to put her out there once again."

Wooyoung smiled. 

"Well then, the battle between Jaehwan and Dari is over! Jaehwan wins!" he declared, raising his hand. He waved to his apprentice. "You did good kid!" 

"I'm not going to be a kid much longer!" Jaehwan denied, sticking out his tongue. "Soon, I'm going to surpass you!"

"Whatever you say," Wooyoung threw back, returning the childish gesture. "You still have a long ways to go kid!"

"Who's a kid now?!" Jaehwan fumed. 

And Taecyeon, Dari, and Miyoung laughed. 

...

"That was fun," Taecyeon voiced carefully, glancing at the two girls. They stood in line at the Pokémon Center, waiting their turn.

"Perhaps. I don't think I particularly enjoy putting my Pokémon out to battle though," Dari stated simply. She left the duo alone as it was her turn to heal her Pokémon.

"Dari's right," Miyoung agreed, frowning. "Battling probably isn't for us."

"It was only your first battle," Taecyeon pointed out, smiling gently. He put a hand on her head, chuckling. "You did good. Besides, battling isn't for everyone. It's only for the ones who can accept their Pokémon's wounds and accept the opponent Pokémon's wounds."

Dari glanced at the two out of the corner of her eye but allowed the action - for now. 

"You're right," Miyoung agreed, smiling once more. 

Dari smiled slightly, amused by her companion's ever-changing moods.

"Then it's settled!" Miyoung declared. "We're going to do a contest next!" 

Taecyeon backed away as if burned.

"How did you get to that conclusion?" he questioned incredulously. 

"A contest!" Miyoung repeated, ignoring his question as she went up to heal her Pokémon. Dari walked to his side silently, waiting patiently for Miyoung's healing session to end.

"We're entering a contest," Taecyeon stated soullessly. 

"I know," Dari acknowledged, glancing up at him. She paused then took pity on him. "Good luck."

She patted him in the arm before meeting Miyoung halfway to talk about the Contest. 

"I'm entering a contest," Taecyeon repeated, looking as if the world was to end.