2

Lingering Past

Soohyun and his secretary sat in the car and when Soohyun closed the door, he broke down. He let out a yelp and let out a big breath. "What was wrong with that female officer? She's scarier than my mom! I never thought anyone could be scarier than my own mother!"

His secretary chuckled and started the engine. "Why did you make her mad in the first place?"

"I have a reputation, you know! I presented myself as Kim Soohyun, the heir, not Kim Soohyun, the wimpy klutz!" he whined and looked back as the car drove away. He could see her throwing a tantrum. He sat back down with a shudder.

"May I ask why?" his secretary asked. "Why did you reveal yourself as the heir of SKY universities and the CEO of KSH? You could have just left as a normal citizen."

Soohyun rested his elbow against the door and leaned his head on his fist. He looked at the cars that were passing by as he answered, "I had to let her know. She didn't recognize the name Kim Soohyun, so I told her. I told her my father owned the three prestigious schools in South Korea. I wanted her to know that I, Kim Soohyun, have a father." The secretary's brows furrowed as he watched him through the rear view mirror.

The man who owned the SKY Universities was not his biological father. He died while he was still in high school. The police couldn't find his body but Soohyun knew he wasn't missing. He knew his father was murdered but no one told him how - only the police who worked on the case knew. Soohyun wasn't the type of person to get an answer out of people, especially from authority, so he didn't try to find out. He just followed his mother's wishes to keep his death a mystery.

After a couple years, his mother had met the man who ran the SKY Universities and that was the happiest he ever saw her after his father's death. He wanted to tell her that he opposed her remarrying, but she looked so happy. When the two married, it was announced that he would be the successor of the SKY Universities. He wasn't at the age where others cared much about, so the news weren't as a surprise to the citizens.

Now that his stepfather was getting older and close to retirement, Soohyun had to concentrate on the schools, too. On top of that, he had to keep his broadcasting company running smoothly. He just wanted to make his mother proud.

His reason of revealing himself as an heir was a lie; he didn't care what other people thought of him. He didn't care if people knew his father was murdered or missing. He didn't care if others pitied him or if others envied him. He just wanted to know what happened to his biological father. He wanted to know how he died and where his body was. He had hope when that female cop tapped on his door.

When he first laid his eyes on her through his black tinted window, he laughed. It had been a long time since he sincerely laughed. She was stuffed with so many layers that it made her look funny. Her scarf was about 2 inches thick which hid most of her face, her jacket made her look big and her thick glove made him think she had cast. He wouldn't have thought she was a woman if it wasn't for her long eyelashes and the light brown color that emitted from her pupil as the sun hit them. He thought her eyes were her best feature.

Soohyun originally never wanted to bribe an officer to get his record clean. He didn't care if he had a record or not. It was just a mere speeding ticket. The first ticket wasn't going to be recorded as long as it’s paid off, because the first cop knew who he was but when he had told his secretary the story about his speeding tickets, he suggested they bribe the chief of their office. Soohyun didn't oppose it and instead, went with him even though he wasn't needed. The secretary had already talked to the chief over the phone. He went along because he wanted to see that female cop again. He wasn't wrong when he guessed her personality. She was impatient, honest, and brave.

He thought he made the right choice in following Secretary Lee. He found out she was a detective, meaning she had the experience. She would be able to help him with his secret investigation although he had a doubt she wouldn't help him with anything, considering her reaction towards him. It also made him wonder what happened for her to be demoted to a local cop.

"We're here." Soohyun snapped out of his thoughts and looked around. He was in front of his company building. He put on his sunglasses and grabbed his leather laptop case beside him and got out of the car.

The valets in front of the building bowed in greeting when they saw Soohyun. He ignored them and coolly entered the automatic revolving doors. The receptionist also bowed and greeted him. He stopped, took off his sunglasses and gave her a quick wink. She blushed and he smirked, pushing his glasses back on his nose.

He rode up to the highest floor, where his office was. He loved the top floor, since he could have an open view of the city. He thought it looked spectacular at night. He opened the door to his office and was surprised to see someone sitting in his chair. The chair turned around and it revealed to be his father. "Dad!" Soohyun said in surprise. His father rarely ever visited him. He was always busy being the president of the schools. His father stood up and smiled. "How are you?"

Soohyun smiled and answered, "I've never been better. How is your health? You haven't been skipping meals have you? Mom is going to scream if she knew you had." The president laughed healthily, making Soohyun smile wider. Although his biological dad had been murdered and missing, that didn't mean he despised his stepdad. In fact, they are very close to each other. The president of the three top universities was the kindest man Soohyun had ever met and was glad to be a part of his family.

"Is there something you wanted to talk about?" Soohyun asked. "It isn't about the ticket, is it?"

President Kim raised his brow. "You have a ticket? What kind of ticket?"

Soohyun tilted his head. "Didn't Secretary Lee tell you about my speeding ticket?"

"Speeding ticket?" he questioned. "Why did you get a speeding ticket? You've drove many times before you got your license. Were you trying to get away from the cold?" Soohyun was definitely confused. Why hadn't Secretary Lee told his father about his ticket? If his father didn't care much about his ticket, why would he give him a briefcase of money? How did he even get the amount of money, if it wasn't for his father?

"I forgot an important document at home and I wanted to get it before the meeting, but a cop stopped me on the way," Soohyun answered.

The president nodded. "I see. Well, be careful next time. I don't want you to get hurt because you went over the speed limit." Although Soohyun was unsure of the situation, he decided not to say anything and bring it up with his secretary first. "I was just here to see how you were doing. We haven't seen each other in a long time, and I missed you. You get to see your mother often, but she misses you even more than me," he laughed.

Soohyun chuckled. "I bet. She visited my home a couple days ago and she keeps texting and calling me." The president patted his shoulder. "Don't over work yourself, okay? I have somewhere to be. It was good seeing you again." The two said goodbye to each other and the president left the office. After he left, Soohyun loosened his tie and sat on his leather chair and leaned back. There was something he couldn't understand. Where did Secretary Lee get the money from without his father knowing?