18

Lingering Past

On Monday, Soohyun had Jisu's working clothes ready. It was a female suit without the tie. For the shoes, he bought black leather shoes, instead of heels. He knew she was uncomfortable with heels. At exactly 10AM, Jisu came in. Soohyun looked up and his eyes widened at her hair. She cut her long hair to a short bob. "Your hair..."

Jisu touched the short ends. "What? It was getting too long. It also makes it harder for people to grab it." She walked over and saw the outfit on the side. "Is that for me?" she asked. She picked it up and took a look at it. "Where's the washroom?" Soohyun pointed to his left and she went in.

After a couple minutes, she came out with her suit. She looked like a pretty boy, with her hair cut short. Soohyun noticed how...cute she looked in it. The hair changed her image completely. He had imagined what she looked like in that suit when he bought it for her. He imagined her looking charismatic with her long, straight hair. But now, she looked like a cute girl.

"So, what do I do now?" she asked.

Soohyun snapped out of his thoughts. "I'm going to be in my office the entire time. I don't have any meetings today. You can sit on the couches and entertain yourself with some books or something. I won't be doing much today."

She scoffed. "Why didn't you tell me this yesterday? I could have come in later." She sat on the couch and picked up a magazine from the table.

The entire day, just like Soohyun said he was always in his office, with the exception of lunch time. He kept looking over to the couch to see what Jisu was up to. The entire time she was on the couch either sitting or lying down. He did feel kind of bad for her. There was no TV or anything to entertain her. He thought she was completely bored out of her mind. Sure, she was bored at first but then she started thinking of Detective Kim's case. She had read everything from the first entry to the last yesterday when she had the whole day to herself.

There was something in the entry that would help her a lot. There was security camera footage with him and someone else. She still hadn't watched the footage on the computer yet. There was also another big clue. Detective Kim's last phone call was to his house but the call before that was to a number that had only been called no more than 5 times. Maybe that last phone call to his family was a big clue. She would have to call Soohyun's mother.

"Jisu?" She looked up to see Soohyun with her jacket. "It's late. Go home." He gave her the jacket and her bag of clothes.

"What about you?" she asked. It was not like she cared. She was doing her job. "I've still got more things to do. You can go home first."

"Okay..." She wore her jacket and zipped it up. She grabbed the bag and her purse and headed towards the door. Before she even touched the knob, the door opened to reveal a short woman with curly locks.

The woman's smile disappeared and her eyes grew angry. Jisu knew it was coming but she let the older woman slap her face anyway.

"Mom!" Soohyun yelled, rushing over. "What do you think you're doing?!"

She looked at her son. "Why is she here? Do you know who she is?!"

"Mrs. Kim..." Jisu spoke.

She glared at Jisu. "Mrs. Kim? It's ma'am to you! You don't have the right to call me Mrs. Kim!"

"Mom, what are you-"

"Do you think I didn't know what happened?” she asked Jisu. “It was you who killed him. It was you who killed Soohyun's dad!" His eyes widened. "He was on his way to meet you. He was on his way and then the accident happened! If he hadn't gone to meet you, this wouldn't have happened! He wouldn't have died!" Jisu didn't say anything and let her speak. What was the point of saying anything when the woman was clearly on fire?

"Do you know what his last words were? He told me he loved me. He never said those words since the day Soohyun was born! I thought I wouldn't have to say these words to you since I thought you'd be out of our lives. I pitied you at first because you were crying so hard at the funeral but now that I think about it, you're not so innocent. Are you trying to kill my son, too? Are you trying to kill all of us? Here, I'll kill myself so lay your hands off my son!" Her hands grabbed and squeezed it.

Soohyun immediately pulled her mother's hands away. "Mom, stop it!"

"Do you know who this wench is?" she screamed. "She killed your father! She's going to kill you!"

Suddenly, Jisu got on her knees. Soohyun was surprised but his mother grew angrier. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it to happen."

"Sorry?! You didn't mean it to happen?! If you didn't want it to happen, bring my husband back! Bring him back!" She managed to pull out of Soohyun's hold and lunged at her. He quickly pulled her off but the woman was stronger than he thought. He called his secretary and he came rushing in to see the two women on the ground. "Get Jisu and get her out of here!" Secretary Lee rushed towards her and tried to get Mrs. Kim's hands out of her hair and clothes.

Finally, the two were able to separate them. Secretary Lee led Jisu out and towards the elevators. "Are you okay?" he asked.  She wiped the small drop of blood on her forehead from the scratch Mrs. Kim gave her and nodded. "Do you want me to take you home?" She shook her head. "I'll get home myself," she said quietly.

The elevator doors opened and the last person she expected to see was Shi Yoon. His eyes widened at her state. Jisu said goodbye to the secretary and walked into the elevator, locking her arms around Shi Yoon's waist. When the doors closed, Soohyun managed to run out of his office. "Jisu?" he asked.

"She went down the elevator with someone. It seems like they knew each other well." Soohyun didn't say anything. "What was that back there? I could hear your mother screaming. It's a good thing I was the only one in the office."

Soohyun shook his head. "I don't know what happened myself."

 

“Jisu…” Shi Yoon called once the elevator doors closed. “What happened?” He was quite surprised to see Jisu in such a state. For the many years he had known her, she barely got a scratch from fighting criminals but here she was, with a long scratch on her forehead and short hair in a mess.

She tightened her hold around him. “I don’t want to do this anymore. I don’t want to continue.” She sounded like she was going to break down any second, so without asking any more questions, he wrapped his arms around her and patted her head.

Shi Yoon drove her home and although she told him to go home, he knew she needed company. He didn’t know a thing that was going on in her head. She kept everything to herself but he knew that this one time, she needed someone beside her.

Jisu unlocked the door and stepped inside with Shi Yoon right behind her. She the lights, kind of embarrassed to let him see her house in this state. Papers were everywhere. Documents were on the floor, on the couch and on the dinner table. That’s why she didn’t want him to follow her inside. Everything was just a mess. “Sorry about the condition of the house. It’s been pretty stressful on me.”

“It’s fine,” he said, following behind and careful not to step on the papers.

“I’ll make something for you to drink. Is hot cocoa okay?” she asked.

“That’s more than okay,” he said with a smile. She smiled back and headed into the kitchen. While she was in the kitchen, he was too curious about the papers on the floor. He squatted down and picked up a random piece of paper. It was a journal log. It said:

“April 15, 2006,

Today is an exciting day for me and Jisu. She just got accepted into the same academy as me and Daewon back in the day. We’re going to have a celebration today. Daewon, aren’t you proud of her? She’s overcoming her trauma. She’ll make us both proud.”

He softened after reading the journal entry. He knew exactly what he meant by trauma. His chief decided to tell him because he was the closest to her. He wasn’t allowed to mention it to her though, because that would only cause her to breakdown. No one should be able to mention it to her. “What are you doing?” Surprised, he dropped the paper. “Sorry for reading this. I was just curious.” To his surprise, she wasn’t angry. She just glanced at the paper and gave him the cup of hot cocoa.

“I’m really confused,” she confessed. “Most of the time when Detective Woo mentions about me in the entries, it’s like I was never there. I don’t remember anything. In that entry, he mentions about my trauma but I have no recollection of ever having a trauma. I can’t ask Kai or my aunt about it because they don’t like it when I mention about this investigation. They hate it, but what can I do? I already promised myself that I would finish this case. It’s like…it’s like I’m just starting out again. I’m not the detective I used to be. None of the notes I’ve collected from Detective Woo make any sense.”

Shi Yoon placed his hand on her shoulder. “Remember, Jisu. This is not like the situations on TV where they solve a difficult case in just a week. No, that’s wrong. That’s far from reality. You have to go through this very carefully.”

“I’ve been working on this case for so many years. Detective Kim died ten years ago. I should have at least gotten a lead. But, there’s nothing. It isn’t a very complicated case. He died because his car’s brake got cut, which is the same as Detective Woo’s case. How can someone get away with such a simple murder? I’ve solved many more difficult cases than this. I caught the man who controlled others to murder all the way in Taiwan. I’ve done so many difficult cases but why? Why can’t I get anywhere in this case?”

He continued to pat her shoulder. Yes, he can say she is the best detective in the country. She has solved many difficult cases. This is the only case that she had problems with. It’s not only that, she was working with Detective Woo on it. He doesn’t understand how two detectives couldn’t solve the case. It was like Detective Woo deliberately steered her away from the truth. It’s like the entries were trying to throw her off. But those were his own thoughts. He can’t meddle with her investigation. It’s something she needs to do herself.

“Hey, why don’t you take a vacation?” he suggested. “You need one.”

She shook her head. “I can’t. I have a job to do, and this investigation. I don’t have time for you.”

“What I’m saying is, take a break from all that. You’re stressing over it so take a break. I got hired at the company you’re working at.”

“You are?” she asked and he nodded. “Yes. It’s quite a coincidence actually. I didn’t know you worked there.”

“Yeah…things happened that way.”

“Okay. I won’t ask. Just don’t ask me why I quit the police force either. Deal?” She nodded. “Okay, so take my advice. Tell Kai and just leave everything at work to me. Hopefully your trip will calm you down a bit.”

 

For the next couple of days, Jisu hadn't come to work and Soohyun was going crazy. He wanted to ask so many questions. How did she know his father? How did she know his mother? Did she know him and pretend she didn't? And why was his mom accusing her of killing his father? His mom told him nothing. In fact, after she calmed down, she told him to never see her again and left the office, not explaining anything to him.

He had asked Kai where she was and he replied with, "She went on a vacation." Soohyun couldn't concentrate the whole day. He had a couple meetings but he barely listened to any of them. He was in his office, when the door knocked. "Come in."

The door opened and revealed Shi Yoon. Soohyun frowned as the other bowed. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm your bodyguard."

Soohyun stood up. "Did Jisu tell you to be my bodyguard? Well, I don't need a substitute. I'm not paying you. I only agreed to pay her."

Shi Yoon shrugged. "You don't need to pay me. I'm getting paid by the company." He saw the confused look on his face and decided to explain. "I handed in my resume. I am hired and now I'm your bodyguard."

"Why would you apply here? This is worse than your job as a police."

He shrugged. "I've been a police for way too long. My chief will never promote me so I changed occupation. I wasn't a police for the money."

The other sat back down. "You can leave. You won't be needed."

"You can't tell me what to do. You're not my boss." Before Soohyun could even say anything, Shi Yoon smirked and said, "I'll be outside the door if you need me. Just holler." Before Shi Yoon could leave, Soohyun called him back.

"Where's Jisu? You should know. You two are close."

Shi Yoon frowned. "I don't think you have to right to ask me that. You-" he didn't finish his sentence and sighed. "Just know I won't leave you alone with her, ever." Then he left the office.

Soohyun hid his face behind his large hands. He wanted to talk to her about what happened two days ago. He wanted to know how she was involved with his dad. He wanted to know what happened to him. He wanted to believe her and not his mother. There were a lot of things he wanted to ask and a lot of things he needed clarification on. Then, he suddenly had the urge to visit his father.

 

Hi! Short chapter. Have a nice day!