14

Lingering Past

While Jisu was at work, she called Kai on his break. She didn’t tell him about the accident earlier because she knew he would freak out. Then, he would force himself inside her apartment, try to take care of her, making sure she never walk the street again. He was that type of person and she couldn’t help but roll her eyes. He is protective but he sometimes got on her nerves.

The sensor on the door rung. It was Shi Yoon with a plastic bag. He placed the bag on Jisu's desk and sat down at his own. "It's fried rice," he said. "Finish that and take your medication." She took a look at her bandaged hand. She landed on it when Soohyun pushed her down. She didn't know why she hid it from him and it had been bothering her ever since she left the hospital. It was just a little sprain but the doctor bandaged it to help it heal a bit faster. Why would she lie about her injury, especially to him?

"What about the security camera?" she asked. "Did you see the license plate?"

He shook his head. "Since the street rarely had cars coming by, the security camera there was outdated. It didn't have a clear image of the license plate."

"The other security cameras? Did you check those?"

He nodded. "The car was a couple of cameras back but none of them showed him getting into the car. It seemed he came out of an alleyway. One thing for sure is the driver was definitely aiming for you. He was idling by the road when you crossed the street."

She cursed. "That man is definitely the one who killed Detective Woo. I mean, who else would want me dead?"

"You have to be careful," he warned. "If what you say is true, you have to watch out."

 

Jisu got home that night without any problems. She rode the elevator up to her apartment. The elevator dinged open and her eyes widened when she got a glimpse of Soohyun waiting outside his apartment door, sitting on a chair. She side stepped, pushing herself against the elevator walls to put her mitten back on to cover up her bandage. “Jisu?" she heard Soohyun call. She successfully put her mitten back on before she showed herself. "What are you doing out here?" she asked, trying not to show her nervousness. She didn't even know why she was nervous. She just was. He grabbed his crutches and tried to get up. By instinct, she ran to him and helped him stand up. He nodded, telling her he could get up by himself, so she backed off.

"I was waiting for you," he said.

"What for...?" she asked.

"I wanted to see if you were alright."

"Me?" she asked. "You should be caring about yourself. You're the one with the bigger injury."

"No way. Your cheek is more important than my foot." Jisu's face slowly turned into a frown. Was he trying to mock her? "My cheek is more important than your foot? How is that so?"

"No one will take a cop seriously if their face is damaged," he reasoned.

She crossed her arms against her chest. "Well for your information, people take us more seriously if we look beat up. It makes it seem like we've won a fight and no one can mess with us."

He smirked, which didn't help her calm down at all. "On the contrary, I think cops should be properly groomed-" Jisu suddenly laughed, scaring Soohyun. Was he kidding with her? What kind of bipolarity does he have? First, he acted like a kind citizen, trying to save her from a speeding car and now he was mocking her! "Properly groomed? Do you think we are animals? Do you think I need someone to wash me and brush my hair? I am not some freaking animal, alright? God! To think I actually cared for you. You are such an idiot! I hate bipolar people like you!"

She reached into her purse and grabbed her keys before she turned to him again. "Oh, by the way, it isn't only my cheek that has been hurt, my wrist is sprained too! Ha! I can't believe myself. I actually cared about what you thought."

Before she could insert the key into her door, Soohyun stepped in the way. "Your sprained your wrist?"

She took a step back. "Move. I need to get this itching bandage off." She tried to get past him but he wouldn't let her. He glued himself to her door. "What is wrong with you! Move!"

"Any minute now!" Then, his phone rang. He looked at the screen and smirked. He showed Jisu the screen and she read, "Kai." Before she could even snatch it out of his hand, he answered it with a smile. She could hear what Kai was saying in the other side.

"What the hell, hyung? What took you so long to answer my calls? You're the one who told me to call you."

"Oh, about that. I was taking a nap and I didn't hear my phone vibrating."

"I see. I've heard what happened to your leg. Are you okay? Who was that girl you saved?" Soohyun looked at Jisu with a smirk and she immediately knew what he was going to do. He was blackmailing her!

"My foot isn't injured that badly. It only hurts when I apply pressure on it."

"That's good then," Kai replied. "You were pretty cool. The news said you practically flew to save that lady."

His smile grew wider. "Yeah, I did. And you will never guess you I saved!" Jisu's eyes widened. She waved her arms, telling him to keep it a secret but Soohyun still had a smirk on his face, telling her he was enjoying this. He lifted the phone away and covered it with his hand. "I won't tell him if you do something for me," he whispered.

hung open. He was totally blackmailing her! "What the hell! You planned this!"

He shrugged, "What if I did? This is the only way we can talk. You ignore me every time!"

"Talk? That's all you want?"

"About my case, of course."

She huffed. "Fine! We'll talk. We'll talk about your goddamn case. God, I can't believe you're blackmailing me!"

Soohyun placed the phone back on his ear. "I saved a police officer."

"A what? A cop?"

"Yeah. A cop. She told me that she would help me in any way she can, in return." He glanced at me and I glared back.

"There aren't a lot of female police officers. Wait..." There was a pause on the line. "She didn't offer to you know...give herself to you, did she?" Soohyun immediately grew a bright red and almost chocked on his saliva while Jisu slapped her palm against her forehead. "No! What the heck are you thinking? I'm not the type of person to do that!"

"I dunno, hyung. You do look like the type of man." Jisu clapped and nodded her head, agreeing with her cousin.

"You know what? You seem like the person to do that, too!" Jisu suddenly socked his arm and he grunted in pain.

"Me? That kind of person? Are you kidding me right now? I'm freaking 19."

Jisu had enough of the conversation and grabbed the phone from Soohyun. "Kai, I don't want you to associate with this person anymore."

"...noona? What are you doing with him?"

"That's not the point. This person here is not worth your time. If I catch you two talking, I won't be talking to you anymore." She turned off the phone and shoved it in Soohyun's chest. "Can you move now? I would like to go into my house."

"I'll help you bandage your hand again," he offered and she rolled her eyes. "Don't act like you care. You just want me to solve your case, which may I remind you, is impossible." She tried to push him away but he was persistent. She couldn't believe she wasn't able to push a man with an injured foot away. It was like he was glued to the door!

She finally gave up and groaned. "Fine. Fine! You can fix my bandage for me. Now can you move out of the way? I want to change and take a shower."

"Can I come in?"

"No," she answered immediately. "I'll come over instead." She pushed him away and this time, he allowed her to.

"You're not going to run away?" he asked while she was unlocking her door.

She rolled her eyes. She knew he wasn't going to let her off that easily. She raised her left hand, "On my officer's badge." He didn't say anything so she took that as a signal to enter her house. After she showered and changed, she grabbed her bandage and ointment and knocked on Soohyun's door. "It's open!" he called from inside. Jisu twisted the door open and stepped inside, closing the door behind her. She looked around the place and noticed that it was pretty neat. When Soohyun hopped over, she noticed a bead of sweat on his forehead and lightly shook her head. Of course he would clean up before she got there. She didn't believe men could be that neat. She was never neat herself anyways.

"Come in," he invited. She followed him into the living room where he told her to sit down on the couch.

"Your apartment isn't as expensive looking as I thought. Your furniture is older than mine," she said, referring to his rich status.

"I'm saving up money," he answered from the kitchen.

Jisu thought that was the oddest answer she ever received. "Why? Your dad is a millionaire. You're a billionaire! Why are you living in a dump of an apartment like this? It's in the middle of nowhere, the interior , the security and sometimes when it rains it leaks through the roof. I don't understand you."

"I have a reason," he replied, coming back with a cup of hot tea. Jisu's eyes widened and she ran over to grab the cup from him. "You were planning to hop over to the couch with this, weren't you?" He sheepishly smiled and she shook her head with a roll of her eyes. "It's for you."

The two sat down and Jisu took a sip of the green tea. "Oh, you brought your own ointment," Soohyun noticed. "I would have used mine." He twisted the cap open and squeezed out a generous amount. He closed cap on the tube and held her wrist. She noticed how hot his hand felt. She felt like he had dipped his hand in hot water. "What's wrong with your hand?" she asked. "It's burning hot."

"Sorry," he apologized, loosening his grip on her wrist so she wouldn't feel uncomfortable. "My body temperature is usually like this." Soohyun applied the ointment with his index finger, being as careful as he possibly could. He took the bandage roll from her and began wrapping it around her wrist. He tried to make it tight, so the wrist would have more support. "Why did you hide this from me?" he asked.

She was flustered at the question.  In fact, she didn't know why she hid such a measly injury from him. Whenever she got injured she always had someone to blame but this time it was different. She wasn't intentionally hurt. Maybe that's why. She didn't know how to act in front of someone who saved her life. If it wasn't something as big as pushing her out of the car's way, she would have shoved her wrist in his face and dumped the blame on him for the sprain. She didn't know why she hid the injury from him. There wouldn't have been any harm in telling him where she was injured. The only thing she could think of was, "It wasn't important." She thought her simple sentence would end the conversation but the man wouldn't stop talking!

"Of course it is important! It's your wrist. The wrist you write on tickets and the wrist you use to hold a gun. How can you be a tough policewoman when you have an injury like this?"

"Obviously my own body is important to me, but why would it be important to you?" she argued.

Soohyun was flustered at the question. "I never said it was important to me! I was saying, your body is important to you. Police officers have to take care of their body the most." Then, he suddenly unraveled the bandage and Jisu's brows pinched together in the middle. "What are you doing? It was fine."

He shook his head. "It was too loose. I need to make this tighter or else you'll hurt your wrist." She watched him fix her bandage. She didn't even know why this man was worrying about her. She had been anything but nice to him. She remembered giving him a ticket - two tickets because if his attitude. Why is his attitude so different from now? She was really leaning towards her bipolarity theory.

"Why are you taking care of me so much?" she asked.

He stopped wrapping her wrist and looked up. He suddenly grew a bright red and lowered his head before Jisu could see. He was so embarrassed! How can he answer the question? He just does? No, that would only lead her to question him. "Because...you're my neighbor," he said.

"You're doing this because I'm your neighbor? You wouldn't do this if I didn't live next to you?" she questioned.

"Of course not!" he yelled in his mind. "Of course! I mean, you don't even let me have your number. How am I supposed to invite you over if it wasn't for our location?" Jisu nodded, feeling a bit disappointed for a second. "So, what kind of detective were you?" he asked, wrapping her wrist once again.

"I was a cold case detective and then I was promoted to a homicide detective. I was an undercover detective for a while, too."

"Closed case detective? There's such thing as a closed case detective?"

She nodded. "Every detective starts out as a police officer. There were many officers around my age but my goal wasn't to be an officer. I wanted to be a detective on the scene. I knew a couple detectives so they helped me become promoted. I was the youngest detective there so they addressed me as a closed case detective. Those detectives solve cases of missing people. Those people were gone for so long that it had become closed, so we had to look through it again and interview family and friends."

"And then you got promoted to a homicide detective?" Soohyun asked with interest. They both had forgotten about the injury so instead, her hand rested in his.

"After that I was promoted to a homicide detective," she confirmed. "But before I started my very first case, I worked as an undercover detective a couple times."

"How could you do all that? You're still so young!" he exclaimed. "I mean, with education and experience with being a police officer, how can you still be 26?"

Jisu frowned. "Who told you I was 26?"

"...Kai."

She shook her head with a sigh. "How come you two are so close? You're more than a decade older than him!” He laughed with a shrug and she frowned at how carefree he was. Sure, Kai is overprotective of her but she is overprotective of him, too. There was no reason for a 30 year old to be good friends with a 19 year old. Especially when that 30 year old is bipolar!

Jisu was going to argue back but she saw a head of sweat running down the side of his forehead. Now that she noticed it, she also noticed his pale complexion. Was he always that pale? "Were you cleaning that hard before I came over?"

Soohyun looked confused. "What do you mean? I didn't clean anything."

"Why are you sweating?"

He wiped his forehead and laughed. "It's nothing. I'm wearing too many layers."

Jisu didn't believe him. She looked at her hand that was resting in his. She grabbed a hold of his hand and he jumped in surprise. "J-Jisu." She lifted her hand towards his forehead and felt it with the back of her hand. It was burning. "You have a fever. Why didn't you tell me?"

He smiled weakly. "So that was what it was. I thought it was just..." He trailed off and laid his forehead on Jisu's shoulder, surprising her.

"W-what are you doing?" she asked, flustered. She tried to push him off but he resisted. "You were fine and laughing just now. What happened?"

"Can't I just stay like this? It's comfortable on your shoulder."

"You need to go to the hospital. Your fever is high."

He shook his head. "No, I don't want to go to the hospital. I don't like the hospital."

"Why don't you? Are you afraid of needles? Don't worry, I'll stay with you."

"It's not the needles," he said.

"Is it the smell? Are you a germaphobe? You're going to get sicker of you don't visit the hospital."

"It's none of those," he mumbled. "It's because of you."

She froze like a statue. "...me?"

"Yes, you. It's true I don't like needles but I don't want you to come to the hospital with me. Every time you're at the hospital, you're hurt."

"That's what the hospital is there for," she stressed. "They treat the injured."

"Not physically," he said. "Mentally. You're hurt mentally. When I dropped you off at the hospital, you cried so much. After that, you arrived at the hospital because of heart ache. I don't want you to go to the hospital and be reminded of that."

She softened. "I won't be hurt. I'm over it."

"Still," he argued. "I won't let you. Instead, can't you stay here and take care of me?" He lifted his head up to meet her eyes. "Help me feel better."