17

Lingering Past

That evening, Jisu went to visit Detective Woo's family. She rang the doorbell and Young opened the door. Her expression turned sour when she saw Jisu. "What are you doing here? We've given you all of dad's stuff."

"I want to talk to you and your mom," she replied calmly, despite Young's venomous tone.

"About what?"

"About your dad. There's something you both need to know." Young looked into Jisu's eyes before stepping back, giving her space to walk in. She murmured a “thanks” before she stepped inside. The door closed and she was lead to the living room. She sat down and looked around. It was her first time being in the apartment. There were many family photos on the walls, despite Young being an only child. She knew Detective Woo meant a lot to the two and was jealous of them. If only she had a great father.

Young walked in with a cup of tea in her hand. She placed it down in front of Jisu and sat down on the floor with her. "My mom's coming home soon." Jisu nodded and took a sip of the hot tea. "What do you want to talk about?"

Jisu wanted to wait until her mom came home but she could confirm what the police had told the family first. "Before I ask you something, can you tell me what the police told you about the autopsy?"

"They told us his wheel got locked and because the snow was slippery, he couldn't stop his car."

"He couldn't stop because the snow was slippery?" Young nodded. Jisu took out a folder from her messenger bag and placed it on the table. "I know I wasn't part of the autopsy but I was able to get this."

"What is it?" she asked, staring at the yellow folder.

Jisu opened the folder and took out one of the pages. "This is the autopsy of Detective Woo." She leaned closer in interest. "This is when the car went in for inspection. A friend of mine worked in this department and contacted me about this and as you see here," she pointed to a specific line. "The brake wires were cut. It was not because of the snow. It was because someone intentionally messed with the car." Young gasped and covered . "Someone was trying to kill him."

Two plastic bags dropped and the two girls looked up. Detective Woo's wife had just come home from the mart when she heard Jisu's last words. "What...did you just say?"

"Mom..." Young stood up and hugged the shorter lady. She was still frozen with wide eyes. "Jisu. Tell me again. What did you say?" Young sobbed harder and held her mom tightly as she began to sob too. She was mentally ready to give them the evidence but after hearing them cry for their husband and father, made her cry for her friend.

After the two calmed down, Jisu told them more about what happened. She told them about the similar case with Detective Kim. "So what are you going to do?" Young asked.

"I'm going to figure this out. I'm going to solve Detective Woo's case and Detective Kim's. The two cases are definitely connected and if I figure one out, I'll figure out the other."

Suddenly, a hand grabbed hers. She looked up and saw Mrs. Woo smiling. "I'm thankful for what you're doing. At first, I disliked you. You were taking my husband and Young's father away from us because of Detective Kim. But now, I get it. You only want to help the people close to you. Detective Kim's family must have been so happy that you're investigating this. We are happy, so how can they not?"

Jisu smiled. "If only they knew."

 

Two days have passed and it was her official day at work. Soohyun didn't tell her specifically what she had to wear so she dug through her closet and tried to find something professional. Usually, she would change into her police uniform so she didn't care about her wardrobe. Now, she was throwing everything onto her bed.

Finally, she found something a bit professional. She didn't have a skirt or anything but she had a blazer. It was professional enough. Her phone buzzed, giving her a notice for a text. Soohyun had finally gotten her number. He said, "Are you done? I'm outside your door."

Having no time to eat breakfast, she grabbed her purse along with her phone and hurried to the front. She opened the closet and looked for heels. She remembered buying heels for her friend's wedding. She just had to find it. Digging through the piles of slippers and running shoes, she found her black heels. She slipped them on and opened the door. Soohyun had his hair gelled up in a professional yet casual way. He was rubbing his bare hands, in attempt to warm them while waiting for Jisu to come out. He looked up when the door opened and his lips parted open. He had never seen her dress that way before. He usually saw her in her police uniform or casual clothing. The Jisu he was seeing now was beyond his imagination. He had never thought she would let her long hair down and apply a bit of makeup or wear heels. His heart skipped a beat again.

"Why are you looking at me that way? Am I not supposed to dress like this?" she asked, snapping him out of his frozen trance.

"No," he stuttered. "You look fine. It's just..." “You look too pretty to be working alongside me,” he wanted to say. "You look more of a secretary than a bodyguard. After work, I'll buy you clothes and shoes for your job." She shrugged and grabbed her jacket before closing her door.

The two arrived at Soohyun's office building. He parked his car in the underground parking lot and turned off the engine before the two of them got out. When entering the underground parking lot, there was a security guard at the entrance, watching people come in and out. And even at the elevator doors, there is a security guard.

She followed Soohyun to the elevators where the security guard immediately greeted him. The security person pushed the button on the elevator and Soohyun thanked him. "Oh," Soohyun said, remembering something. He took a step back and introduced the security guard to Jisu. "She's my bodyguard," he said.

The other nodded and smiled with an "Oh". Jisu resisted the temptation to roll her eyes because she could feel that the security guard didn't even give a crap. They were just there to stand and look around. They are paid to do just that.

The two got into the elevator and he pressed the top button. She raised her brow. "Top floor?"

"I like the top floor," he replied. "Why do you think I'm on the top floor of our building?"

"Our building has ten floors. Ten floors with five apartments in each floor," she stressed. "This damn building has at least 20 floors with giant rooms full of cubicles. You're basically riding up with all your employees."

He shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I like greeting them."

As soon as he said that, the elevator dinged open, revealing a whole bunch of people waiting for the elevator. The female employees brightened when they saw the handsome CEO. They immediately put on their bright smiles and raked their fingers through their hair, in attempt to make themselves presentable.

"Good morning, Mr. Kim!" they chorused. The female employees rushed in and some at the back of the crowd tried to push through the crowd to get in the same elevator as Soohyun. The male employees were definitely used to this, so when the door opened revealing Soohyun, they stepped back, not wanting to get into a huge crowd of fan girls. The only time they would get into the same elevator with him is when they were late for work. Luckily for them, none of the male employees were late.

Jisu was alarmed by the amount of employees trying to get into the elevator. Was there no such thing as security in this building? Were they just there to look buff and cool? Then, Jisu caught the doors of the elevator on the other side opening. Still, many people were trying to get on to the cramped elevator.

"There's an empty elevator just behind you!" Jisu yelled. No one listened and kept trying to get on. Her instincts picked up and she took a look at Soohyun beside her. He was getting uncomfortable and she could see that through his nervous smile. She turned around and weaved herself in between the girl who was staring at him and spread her arms out. Both of her arms went around him and pressed against the glass wall to provide a shield for him. In surprise, he pressed up against the corner. "W-what are you doing?" he stuttered.

"What else? I'm trying to -" she cut off and winced as some lady stepped on her foot with her heels. "-keep you away from these crazy people."

"Excuse me, but who are you?" the lady she weaved in between spoke. "Why are you pressing up against our president? Who are you?" There were mummers and bold, "yeah! Who are you!" in the crowd. At that moment the elevator doors finally closed. It was suffocating in there and everyone was pushed up against each other but she made sure Soohyun wasn't squished between two females. Who knows where his thoughts would wander.

"I'm his bodyguard, so can you please move away?" she requested as kind as she possibly could.

The lady scoffed. "Bodyguard? Are you kidding me? A girl like you is a bodyguard? Please, if you're a bodyguard, I might as well be his girlfriend."

Jisu glared at her. "Being a bodyguard is more believable than being this guy's girlfriend." Soohyun got the feeling he was just dissed. "Then let me be his bodyguard!" She grabbed Jisu's hair and pulled it back, earning a scream from her. Soohyun's eyes widened and he pressed himself against the glass wall even further if he could. He watched as Jisu tried to fight off the other girl with one arm while the other was still against the wall, trying to protect him. If the elevator wasn't so cramped, she could have fended the other off with no problem.

At that moment, the elevator stopped and Jisu caught the elevator doors open. "Move!" she screamed. Then, she grabbed Soohyun's arm and tugged him out of the elevator. She didn't care how many people she was pushing against to get through and she didn't care if a person had her hand in her long hair. She had to get Soohyun out of that mess.

Finally, she had managed to get him out but once he was out, she went back in to keep the girls back in the elevator. "This is my floor!" many yelled.

"Well, too bad! You're all coming up with me!" Then, the door managed to close with Jisu pushing back the female employees into the elevator.

Soohyun hadn't moved a muscle once he was off that elevator. It was the first time he experienced something like that and he was frightened. He hadn't gone into an elevator with so many people before. Everyone was pressed up against each other and if it wasn't for Jisu, he would have no room to breathe.

Actually, this was the first time he came to work so early. It was 7 in the morning and he only got paid at 10. "Soohyun! Soo- Mr. Kim!" He looked up and saw his secretary and several security guards running up to him. "Are you okay? I got a call from security saying you were harassed in the elevator."

He blankly shook his head and turned back to the elevator. "Secretary Lee."

"What is it?"

"I hired a bodyguard."

 

An hour later, Jisu came walking into Soohyun's office with disheveled hair, a wrinkled blazer and with several scratches on her face. Soohyun immediately sat up from his desk. He had been waiting the entire hour for her to come back. He was pacing back and forth until he got dizzy. He looked outside his window and watched as life went by. He even did physical activity to keep himself busy. He had sat on his desk to take a breather when she came in. "Jisu," he called, still panting.

"Is this how you treat employees?" she asked in rage. "...huh?" He didn't know what she was talking about. "No, wait. Is this how you treat everyone in general?"

"What are you talking about?" he asked, a bit frustrated.

She held up an envelope. "I won't be telling the world about this incident so you can take this back." She threw it on the floor. "You work at 10, right? Then I'll be here at 10 tomorrow morning. Don't call me in when I'm not needed. Fridays is always an odd day to start my first job anyways." She left the office.

Soohyun picked up the envelope she threw on the ground. He opened it up to see huge amounts of money orders. Angry, he took out the phone from his pocket and dialed his secretary. In ten minutes, Secretary Lee arrived in his office.

"How can you do this?" Soohyun asked, in rage. "I told you not to use your own money anymore. Didn't I tell you that last time? Why did you have to give this to her?" He threw the envelope down on his desk and threw his head back in frustration.

"She accepted it with no complaints," he reported. "I gave it to her so she wouldn't spread any words about you. I also gave one to the other female employees and told them to resign on their own. They were all happy about it."

He groaned. "I'm the one that hired her. I should be the one giving her the money, not you!"

Secretary Lee frowned. "She put you in a dangerous situation."

"She protected me from the dangerous situation," he stressed. "Didn't you see her? Her hair was a mess, her face was scratched up and her clothes were wrinkled. She defended me in that cramped elevator and she sacrificed herself to protect me. That's what a bodyguard should do and that's what she did."

"I can get you a different bodyguard,” he reasoned.

"Look, she is the one I hired. She is the one I will be paying from my own salary. She isn't someone the company hired for me. Don't even start talking about males and females," he said when he saw Secretary Lee's mouth open. "She will be my bodyguard and that is final."