12

Lingering Past

In the morning, Jisu got a call. She picked it up and it happened to be Detective Woo's lawyer. "Mr. Woo has written in his will that all his work be handed to you." And that's how she appeared in front of his house. She took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. She waited and the door opened. She greeted Detective Woo's wife but she didn't greet back. She had boxes by her feet. "I hope you called a taxi. You've got many boxes to carry home."

With help from the security in her apartment, she managed to take home five boxes of papers, and his desktop computer, along with his laptop. When she got all the boxes into her apartment, she immediately started to go through it. She had spent too much time working as a cop and her main priority of investigating Detective Kim's case had been pushed back.

She went through the files but they weren't the ones she was looking for. All the folders were labeled but they were all coded. To save herself time from going through all the folders, she had to figure out his coding method. She searched her brain to find anything important Detective Woo had told her.

She specifically remembered something he told her not to do. Never code anything by date of birth or date of death. "Instead, put them together!" She rummaged through the boxes to find numbers that started with 55. She ripped out all the binders and folders that started with 55 as Detective Kim was born in 1955. Then, she looked for the next two digits; the year of detective Kim's death. She searched around for the number 04. There were still many folders left. Usually, when the numbers get more specific, there are fewer folders to look through. Next, she searched for the number 06, the month he was born in. Finally, she found two folders with the same numbers. To be sure, she checked the numbers for the months and dates of birth and death. It all matched up.

She opened one of the folders and to her surprise, it wasn't the paper she usually sees. There were no, "reason" or "notes of progress" column anywhere. They were just blank paper with the date written at the top. She read the first entry, which happened to be the date of Detective Kim's accident.

It read:

"February 04, 2004,

My best friend, Kim Daewon, got into an accident. This isn't my case but what can I do? This is my best friend I’m talking about. He couldn't have been stupid to drive off the road. I know he wasn't drunk. I don't know what happened, but I won't stop until I get to the bottom of this. Right now, I'm waiting for the autopsy. I'm also torn on how to break the news to Jisu. She'll be devastated. God, she's only 16 years old."

That was how the first entry went. Jisu read on. "February 05, 2004,

I'll find the person who did this to Daewon. I'll kill the person. Not only had his steering wheel lock, his brake wires were cut and the door cracked open during the fall. Nothing was a coincidence and I know it. The cut wires were a big giveaway. Also, the man went missing. The police had searched hundreds of meters around the crash site but to no avail, he wasn't found. He was taken away and I know it. What did he do? Why would anyone want to kill him?"

"February 10, 2004,

Jisu has gone missing. I don't know where she is and I have reported a missing teen. She was only crying her heart out during the funeral. I was told she locked herself in her room after that. I think she found out the family wanted the case closed. I should let Jisu know I will never give up on this case until the day I die."

"February 11, 2004,

That idiot. Where has she gone?"

"February 12, 2004,

Someone admitted her into a hospital, thank God. If I lost her, it would have been like I lost my own daughter. My family means the most to me."

Suddenly, something dropped down on the paper. She realized that it was her own tear on the page. She pushed the papers away and leaned against the wall. She had a hard time when Detective Kim died. When she heard the news, she didn't react. She thought it was all a joke until it sunk into her brain a while later. She wasn't even able to see him one last time. She was so devastated. She couldn't eat or sleep. All she did was lock herself in her room and cry.  Her father figure was gone, so why wouldn't she cry? She thought he was better than her own father. When Detective Woo told her to come to the funeral, she didn't hesitate for a moment.

She was a complete mess at the funeral. She was crying and crying nonstop. No one could console her. It wasn't until she got out of there herself, unable to stay any longer.

Just when everyone thought nothing could ruin her anymore, the family's request to close the case caused her to go crazy. She couldn't believe it. His own family abandoned him. It wasn't even a week and they gave up on the search. She was so angry; she went out to search for herself. She searched day and night with only a blink of rest. Before she knew it, she ended up in the hospital. Even after that, she couldn't eat or sleep as well. She had no appetite and she kept having nightmares. After months or so, her sleeping and eating habits got a bit better and eventually, she was back to normal. It was hard for her because the case was unfair. The family was unfair. It had been a unique case, but no further investigation was needed. It made her so mad. Jisu would hate to become a part of that family.

She picked up her phone and called her cousin. He picked up on the second ring. "Are you back with your mom?" she asked.

"Hold on." She heard shuffling in the background and the background noise became quieter. She was calling him during his lunch break. "Are you still mad?" he asked.

"No, not anymore," she said. "Just don't invite anyone over."

"Sorry. It was my mistake.” She could hear the regret in his voice which made the corners of her lips twitch up. “I won't do it again. And I'm sorry for being moody in front of your guest. I was just mad at you for kicking me out and letting him in." Jisu quietly laughed. "Are you okay? You sound tired," he asked in concern.

"I guess I am," she confessed. "I just have a lot of work to do."

"Don't work too hard, okay? Do you want me to move back in? I'll take good care of you. I'll learn how to cook first and I'll wait for you at home if you come back home late instead of barging into your office."

She chuckled. "You sound like my boyfriend."

"No way! Gross! I'm just being caring!" he argued.

Jisu smiled. "I'm kidding. I'd like that, but I'd rather you stay with your mom for now. You're still a student. You shouldn't be cooking or staying up late. Plus, I have a lot of paperwork here."

"I'll be super quiet," he promised.

"No, Kai. I've just received boxes of files. My apartment is a mess."

"I'll make arrangements."

"Kai," she stressed. "I know you care about me, but just let me be alone for now. My job is important."

He sighed. "Promise me you'll call at least twice a day. Once in the morning or around my lunchtime, and once at night. Got that? I'll keep track. If more than 4 calls are missed, I'm coming with security."

"Okay, okay. Geez, you're seven years younger than me and I have to hear this from you?" she teased.

"Wait until you hear me nag my future wife." She rolled her eyes with a smile and hung up.

Jisu placed the folder back into the box and got ready for work. She got out of the apartment and at the same time, Sooohyun did too. "I've been seeing you way too much for my liking," she mumbled, shaking her head. She headed towards the elevator and Soohyun followed. When he walked after her, he noticed her boots. He stepped beside her and asked, "Where did you get those boots from?"

She looked down. "Officer Yoon. He got them for me."

"What about my boots?" he asked.

She shrugged. "I don't wear pity boots."

He sighed loudly. "How many times do I have to stress that my bag isn't a pity bag! I just put the wrong message inside. Honest!"

Jisu stepped into the elevator and so did Soohyun. "They weren't my style."

"Then what's your style? Converse? You like Converse? I'll give you Converse."

"I already have a pair of Converse boots. Thanks for the offer." She hid her grin. It was too amusing.

He rubbed his face with his hand. "Fine. Look, can I just explain why I'm asking you to take a closed case?"

She shrugged. "You already told me. You thought I was a girl of justice. I am clearly not."

"The case involves my family. It involves my dad." She looked at him. "Your dad got into some illegal gambling and you want to expose the truth or something? You have more justice than I have."

"No. The president of the SKY universities is not my biological dad," he confessed. "My mom remarried. The case I want to reinvestigate involves my biological dad's unfair death." The elevator reached the lobby and dinged open. The two were still staring at each other. "My dad died and I don't even know how. I was young back then, and I didn't have the chance to stop my mom from closing the case. Me and my dad weren't close but still. He's family." He stepped out and looked back. "Think about it."

During the day, Jisu couldn't get Soohyun's words out of her head. How come he didn't know the reason of his father's death? He couldn't have been too young or else he wouldn't have even cared. The real question is, why now? Had he been trying to find evidence all this time? If so, it would be difficult for her. And why her?

"What are you thinking about?" She snapped out of her thoughts and looked up. Shi Yoon had just come back from his patrol. "Just stuff," she answered, going back to her paper work.

"Stuff," he repeated. "Interesting." That's what she liked about Shi Yoon. He didn't pry into her life and he could take hints. Jisu took a look around. The office was empty, meaning the other officers hadn't come back from their patrol yet. "Hey, I have a question."

"Shoot," he said, turning away from his files.

"Let's say you lost your family member in an accident but no one knows why. Eventually the case was closed but you're still curious. You were young back then, so you didn't have a say in any of the decisions but now that you're mature, you decide to reinvestigate it when you're thirty. What's your reason for reinvestigating so late?"

"Wow, hm." He pondered about it. "There may have been something preventing me from reinvestigating. I probably couldn't find as much evidence as I wanted to. If not, there may be someone I'm trying to protect."

"But if you're trying to protect someone, why investigate it again?"

Shi Yoon shrugged. "Maybe I've had enough of it. Maybe the case isn't worth protecting someone. I mean, if I was young back and then turn thirty, I would have a better common sense."

"But even after so long wouldn't you want to give up? There probably wouldn't be any evidence left."

"No way,” he persisted. “Nothing is more important than family. If I were to give up, I would have already tried my best."

He was right. What was she thinking? She knew that more than anybody. The ongoing case of Kim Daewon and Woo Taewoon is in her hands. Maybe even Kim Soohyun's case.