10

Lingering Past

"Remember to lock the door when you exit!" Jisu reminded Kai. "Also, don't forget to bring your lunch. And visit your mom today, jeez!"

"Stop nagging and go already," Kai yelled back from the kitchen. Jisu slipped her shoes on and grumbled something about how ungrateful the kid was. She exited her house and locked the door. She turned around but Soohyun suddenly appeared in front of her.

"Holy crap, you scared the heck out of me!" she yelled, walking towards the elevator.

"Good morning to you, too," he said, following her. "How was your sleep?"

She pressed the button on the elevator and stood in front it. "Why do you care whether or not I slept well?" He merely shrugged and Jisu didn't answer. "What about Kai? How was he been doing?"

"Ask him yourself," she replied, hinting she didn’t want to talk another word with him.

"I can't really do that if you told the boy to ignore me. He was the only one I could talk to comfortably."

She finally turned to him. "He's a decade younger than you. How comfortable can you two get?"

"Hey, it's better than talking to others who are at least two decades older than me. You should know what they talk about. It isn't very entertaining."

Then, Jisu thought back to Detective Kim and Detective Woo. They were both more than two decades older than her. They were both great to be with, too. Detective Kim would tell her about his cases. Although he couldn't tell her specifically what his case was because of confidentiality, he had told her about the stories he had when he was once an undercover detective. Usually, he would disguise as a secretary or receptionist but there was one time he had to dress up as if he were to go to a dance club. She couldn't imagine it so Detective Woo came along and showed her a security camera picture of him. It had been the longest time she had ever laughed so hard.

While Detective Kim told her about his cases, Detective Woo told her funny jokes. He always consoled her when she had a fight with her father and when Detective Kim wasn’t around. She met Detective Woo after she met Detective Kim because they were usually partners for homicide cases. Since the two men were already best friends, they told her each other’s dark past and secrets. Sure, the two were old but she didn’t care. They were her best friends.

The elevator doors finally opened and Jisu said, "I like men two decades older than me." She stepped in but Soohyun didn't. He was surprised by her response. The elevator doors were closing but he didn't move and Jisu didn't say anything. "Are you serious?" he finally voiced when the elevators closed. Apparently, the elevator was fixed.

Soohyun's eyes widened once the elevator doors closed. As fast as he could, he ran down the stairs to catch the elevator. He skipped some steps on the way down and almost tripped a couple times. He got down to the lobby and a second after, the elevator dinged open. "Are you serious?" he asked again but out of breath.

Jisu was a bit surprised he ran down 10 floors to ask her that. She slipped past him but she didn't get far before he blocked her path. "Where are you going? It's snowing. Don't tell me you're going to walk again." He looked down at her feet. "Why aren’t you wearing the boots I bought you? Are they the wrong size? Too small? Too big? I'll exchange them for you."

"I am not wearing them because I don't want to. I don't want to wear anything in that pity bag. You can have it back and give it to someone who actually needs it." She was still teasing him about that, although he made it pretty clear yesterday night. She just thought it was amusing, seeing him explode.

"I told you, it isn't a pity bag!" he exclaimed and she hid a secret grin. Soohyun gave up, "Fine, if you don't want it, then fine. I don't want it back. Instead, let me drive you to work. It's snowing and you're wearing Converse."

"Thanks for the offer," she said, "but my ride is here." She slipped past him and exited the building. He watched her approach a white car and realized it was the same car that dropped her home once. She got in and he watched the car drive off. He sighed as he watched the snow fall.

''Hyung?" He turned around to see Kai in his school uniform.

"Who are you?" he asked, pretending not to know him.

"Come on, hyung. Don't be like that. I didn't want to ignore you."

"Then why did you? I know she told you not to talk to me, but couldn't you just rebel? Isn't that you teenagers do at this age?"

He shook his head, saying no to who Soohyun thought he was. "Believe me, I rebel a lot. But we only rebel against our parents, not our cousins. Honestly, my mom didn't want me to stay at Jisu's place,” he said in a whisper, like Jisu could hear. “She said Jisu was old enough to get through her hardships by herself. I ignored her and went anyways." His eyes suddenly widened. "Don't tell her. If she knew, she would kick me out!"

He scoffed in amusement. "Don't worry, I won't tell her. In exchange, just reply to my messages. Breaking one rule wouldn't hurt, right?" Kai agreed. "Now let's get you to school. The snow isn't going to stop anytime soon."

---

"Good morning," Shi Yoon greeted as Jisu entered his car and she greeted back. "Aren't you glad I came to pick you up? You didn't have to walk here like last time." He remembered she came in with soggy shoes. He go to dry them himself while she was busy on patrol. "That reminds me. There's a bag behind you. Mind grabbing it?"

Jisu looked back and grabbed the white plastic with a box inside. Shi Yoon told her to open it, so she did. Inside was a shoe box containing a pair of boots. "I'm sure it's the season to stop wearing thin summer shoes, isn't it?" He had gotten a pair of Converse boots to replace her thin fabric Converse.

She smiled and inspected the boots. "I didn't really need a pair but thanks."

"Why didn't you need it? Do you have another pair?"

"I don't own any," she answered, completely disregarding Soohyun's pair of boots. Shi Yoon urged her to try them on, to see if it fit. She took off her shoes and wore her new boots. It fit her perfectly. "How did you know my size?" she asked, inspecting the boots.

"I dried your shoes last time and I happened to know your size." That was new found information to her. She didn't know he dried her shoes. In fact, she thought it was because she didn't come back to the office by the end of the day that I dried by itself. She thanked him and wore the warm boots.

During the day, the snow kept falling and many car crashes were reported. This continuous reports and fights over insurance kept the office busy. Jisu and Shi Yoon had to stay overtime to help out. The snow started light in the morning but as the day continued, it got heavier. It was worse than the other snow storm. That one stopped around the afternoon but this one was expected to continue into the other day. It was announced that it was the most snow recorded in 10 years.

Finally, Shi Yoon and Jisu decided to call it a day. The snow was still falling but at a slower rate. Not many crashes were reported and the other officers were on it.

The two parked the car and ran for shelter. The snow really got stuck to their hair and clothes. "The snow is never going to stop," Shi Yoon commented, brushing the snow off his uniform. Jisu was also brushing off the snow on her uniform. He looked over at her and meekly smiled. He stepped in front of her and brushed the snow off of her head. "If you keep the snow there, you'll get sick."

"I was just getting to that," she said, brushing the snow off her hair.

"Do I have any snow on my head?" He bent over a bit for her to dust off any snow. She lightly scoffed and took off his police cap and pushed it against his chest. "You're good." Jisu headed in first, only to see her cousin and her neighbor. Kai had his hands on his hips and he looked pissed, while Soohyun glared at the man behind her who was acting affectionate to Jisu just a moment ago.

"Kai, what are you doing here?" she glanced to the man next to him. "With him?"

"I should ask you the same," he shot back. "Why are you coming back at this hour?" he nodded at Shi Yoon. "With him?"

She looked around and noticed other officers staring. She led him to the back to talk, leaving Soohyun with Shi Yoon. The two watched the cousins walk to the back of the office. Then, they both faced each other. "Did you get in trouble with Officer Kwon again?" Shi Yoon asked, recognizing him as the man who brought in a briefcase of money.

"No, I did not," he replied.

"Then why are you here?"

"I'm her ride home. I'm also her next door neighbor." Shi Yoon raised his brow. “Why would a millionaire like him live in a rundown apartment building?” he thought. "Who are you?" the other asked.

"Officer Yoon," he replied.

Soohyun rolled his eyes. "Not your name. Who are you to Jisu? I saw you out there. You were smiling and touching her head. What gives you the right to touch her?"

"I'm her friend," he said calmly, unlike Soohyun who was about to burst. He scoffed. "Friend, my . A man and a woman can never be friends for long."

"...you do know we're old enough to know the difference between friends and lovers, right?" Shi Yoon couldn’t believe what he was hearing. This was the man who was well known among business people and teens. He was known to be very disciplined and perfect with a strong aura. Right now, all he could only see a childish man who was…jealous?

"Old? Lovers? I did not say anything about you two being lovers. I'm saying, if you keep being affectionate like that, you'll start liking her or worse, she'll start liking you!" Suddenly, someone slapped in on the back and he yelled in both surprise and pain. He whipped his head around to see Jisu out of her uniform, glaring at him.

"So what if we start liking each other? Why do you care?" Shi Yoon hid a grin as she walked up to him and said with a smile, "Have a safe drive home, okay?"

"What about you? How will you be getting home?" he asked. He wasn’t quite sure he believed Soohyun’s words when he implied he lived in the same building as her.

She nodded to the two boys behind her. "They'll be getting me home. Kai got worried because I didn't pick up my phone and called that guy to help him."

"Kim Soohyun is your neighbor? He told me just a while ago but I didn't believe him. He's rich!"

She shrugged. "That's what I thought, too. I have no idea why he’s living in an apartment like mine. He should be living in those tall buildings in the city." He nodded, agreeing with her. “Oh, you won't be working tomorrow, right?" She nodded her head. "Then, let's go eat lunch together."

Kai who overheard their conversation jumped in. He hung his arm around Jisu's shoulder. "Sorry, but the snow will be piled up by tomorrow and I will not allow her to step out of the house."

She glared at him. "Who are you to stop me?"

"The one who's going to stay home with you tomorrow."

"What about school?" she frowned.

"I'll skip," he said. "I am not going to walk to school in knee-high snow. No one plows the sidewalk. I'm just lucky Soohyun hyung picked me up and dropped me off at school today. If it wasn't for him, I would have been stranded there until now because somebody never checks her phone." She rolled her eyes but she knew he was right. His mom was a workaholic so if he was even able to call her, she couldn't have done anything. This one time, she was grateful for Soohyun.

"How about you come over instead?" Jisu suggested. "I'll be cooking."

Shi Yoon brightened. "That sounds great. I'll see you around noon then." They said their goodbyes and the two cousins walked out the building with Soohyun trudging behind. The three got into Soohyun's black car. He thought for sure Jisu would start screaming at him but to his luck, she stayed quiet. He looked through his rear view mirror to see what Jisu was up to, since she was being too quiet during the whole ride. He saw her sleeping, with her head against the window. "Hey, your cousin's sleeping," he told Kai who was sitting beside him.

He turned around and smiled. "She had a long day. She was out all day dealing with the car crashes because of the snow."

"She looks...kinder when she's sleeping," he commented. The other shrugged. "I guess. But I like it when she's awake. I like her personality. She's mean and rough."

Soohyun raised his brow and looked to the younger male. "You like mean and rough people?"

He laughed and shook his head. "No, that only fits Jisu noona. Only she can pull off the mean personality without making me mad."

"Aren't you biased? She's your cousin."

"I guess...but you'll know what I mean. She says mean things but she doesn't mean it to that extent. Let's say she told me, 'Stop skipping school. What are you going to do after you graduate, if you ever do? Work part time? Work as a janitor? Stop slacking around.' She basically means, work harder, if you don't want to be cleaning toilets."

Soohyun thought how Jisu would look like and sound like if she said those words. But he could not find a different meaning. "It sounds like she means it."

"She doesn't. I've been scolded plenty of times by her. She's too much sometimes, but still, I like her when she's awake. It gives me reassurance that nothing is wrong with her. She's a horrible liar, you know? You’ll know right away she is lying."

Soohyun parked his car in the snow piled parking lot. The building didn't have an underground parking, so he was stuck parking in the snow. "I'll go wake her up," Kai said.

"Wait," Soohyun stopped him. "I'll carry her. She had a long day." "...if you say so."

The two got out of the car and Soohyun opened the back door. Jisu was still sleeping soundly. He reached over and unbuckled her seatbelt but he didn't let go of the fact his face was this close to hers. He inspected every inch of her face, from her bare forehead to her little chin. Then, his chest started acting weird. It felt like something was trying to jump out of his ribcage. He could hear it ringing in his ears.

"What are you doing in there? Hurry up!" Kai called. Soohyun got out if the car and faced him. "I don't think this is right. What if she wakes up and sees my face? She'll definitely throw a fit. You carry her instead."

Kai sighed but trudged over anyways. Easily, she got Jisu out of the car. "I thought you were a man. How can you still be scared of her?" Kai walked away with Jisu in his arms. Soohyun closed the door and leaned against his car. What was just now? It was the second time he felt something like this, and it wasn't because he had to make a speech in front of hundreds of reporters. It was because of a girl who looked like an angel.