23

Lingering Past

A week later, Jisu decided to go back to work with Soohyun. Although he proposed to her flexible hours, she just wanted to solve the case. Lee Jaesuk was the only lead she had and she had to stay close to crack the case. Obviously, she didn't like the idea of working for him because she had been deceived and humiliated by him but what could she do? The case was worth more than her pride.

She wore the black suit he had bought her and rode in his car. Unlike last time, there were less people waiting for the elevators, making them both feel safe. Apparently, the rumors of Soohyun's body guard had spread about the building. She was rumored to be once a judo fighter and one with a lot of sass and rotten lips. They gave her weird and scrutinizing stares but she didn't notice, or she chose not to. Soohyun on the other hand was bothered by it. He didn't like the judging stares directed at her. He couldn't say anything about it so when they were going up in the elevator, he tried to move in front of her, to block the view of the employees.

She looked at him and made a face. "What are you doing?" she asked.

He looked forward, not looking back at her. "I like his spot."

She rolled her eyes and stepped back, where his original spot was. The elevator was already cramped as it is and she didn't want to be sandwiched between the wall and her boss. When she moved, he moved also. She continued to stare at him but he acted like nothing happened, with his hands held behind his back. She moved up and he moved up also. She opened to say something but he suddenly shone his phone in her face. He wrote, "Stay still! Everyone is staring."

"They wouldn't be if you didn't move with me," she mumbled but listened to his order anyway.

Finally, they got up to the top floor where Soohyun's office was located. They approached the office doors and were greeted by Soohyun's receptionist and secretary first. "I see you're back," Secretary Lee noticed.

"Don't say anything to my mother," Soohyun said. "If you do, you might as well work for her."

"Okay," he chuckled. "You don't have to worry about a thing."

Soohyun headed into the office first while she stayed back. She heard her boss yell Shi Yoon's name, so while he was distracted, she approached Secretary Lee. "I have a question," she said.

He looked up from his monitor. "Go ahead and ask me."

"How do you know Soohyun?"

He laughed. "Is that what you're curious about? Let's see." He seemed amused by her random question. "I was his biological father's friend, so I knew him since he was young. I also used to work with his step father as his secretary. There was a time when the market was low so he took the advantage and bought a broadcasting company. He assigned Soohyun as the CEO and ever since, I've been his secretary."

"You decided to or he hired you?" she questioned.

He shrugged. "He needed my help. But why the questions?"

She shrugged back. "I wanted to know a bit more about the company. I'll talk to you later then." She walked past him and entered office. On the couch was the person who kept persisting to be Soohyun's body guard. He was lying down comfortably with and lollipop in his mouth. He looked up when the door opened and he smiled widely. He stood up and pulled the candy out of his mouth. "Jisu! What are you doing here? Are you working with me?"

She nodded and walked towards him. "I guess I am."

"Except you two are on different pays," Soohyun rolled his eyes from his desk.

"What's with him?" Shi Yoon whispered.

She shook her head. "There's always something with him." He shrugged and offered her a new lollipop, to which she accepted. She popped it in before Soohyun said, "What kind of bodyguards on lollipops? You guys are supposed to be outside, guarding my office."

"I’m the one who you're giving flexible hours to. I don't want to work right now," Jisu said. Shi Yoon's brows furrowed in confusion. "Flexible hours? Since when was that in the contract?"

Soohyun sighed. "Fine. Fine! You can start working when you finish your lollipop. As for you," he looked at the man beside her. "Throw that lollipop away and stand outside the door. You're the one who has to do his job properly."

Shi Yoon scowled as he bit his lollipop, cracking it off the stick and left the office. Once Shi Yoon left, Soohyun took out his laptop. "Jisu, come here." She walked over and he handed her the laptop. "I downloaded the recordings on here. You should listen to the other recordings to see if there is anything. My secretary is one clue but there may be more."

She raised he brow but took it anyway. She sat down on the couch in front of his desk. She plugged the earphones in and listened to the recordings. Soohyun continued to do his work, but he couldn't concentrate too much with Jisu in the room. He kept peeking over his screen to catch a glance of her. He couldn't help it.

"So what do you do?" Jisu suddenly said, surprising him. He quickly looked back to his screen and pretended to work. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, what do you do as the president of KSH?" she clarified.

"I mostly go to meetings for stocks. If it's not stocks, it's broadcasting shows. The team has to come up with a detailed plan and run it through me before we broadcast it," he answered.

"What popular show do you have?"

"Well, let's see. There's the widely popular Running Man."

"Isn't that on SBS?"

"We bought it," he said. "You don't really watch TV, do you? We bought it two years ago."

She shrugged. "I watch what's interesting." Soohyun scoffed and shook his head. To him, she doesn't seem interested in anything but her job. "How old are you?" she asked.

"I'm approaching 32. Why? Do you feel the big ?"

"You're too immature for me to notice the six year ," she answered. “But did you want to become a president? Italked to Secretary Lee just now. He said your stepdad made you the CEO."

Leaning back on his chair, he turned his chair around to look outside the window. "I don't know. I have no idea what I wanted to be in high school. I just studied and studied, not really knowing where I'd be in life. I got accepted into university and studied like that, too. When my mom got remarried, I guess fate just put me in this position."

"But do you like it?"

This time, he turned his chair to face her. "Now that I'm the president of KSH, I've experienced a lot of things. I want to be an actor."

Jisu laughed. "You want to be an actor? So you want to be like those idols who act, dance and sing?"

"Hey, you're the one who asked me!" he argued. “Idols and actors are two very different things.”

She held her hands up. "Okay, okay." He let out an amused laugh before going back to work. After a couple minutes or so, Jisu asked. "Do you want to go see a movie later?" He thought he heard wrong. Did she just ask him to watch a movie? "Hello? I'm asking you something."

He snapped out of it. "A movie? You want to watch a movie with me?" She nodded. "Why so suddenly?" he asked. "This isn't like you. You don't want to do anything that involves me."

She shrugged. "You said it was going to be your birthday soon. I thought why not celebrate it now?" He felt his heart skip a beat. Jisu was being nice. He was confused yet, he couldn't help his heart from beating at the thought of them in the movie theater. He agreed right away.

In less than an hour, Jisu managed write something down. She wrote it down on a piece of paper and gave it to Soohyun, along with the laptop. She waited for him to read the paper. As expected, he was flabbergasted. "What the heck is all this? Terms and conditions?" She did not write anything she found from the audio files because there was nothing. She had already gone through them all at home. She actually found it amusing that he had even thought of giving her time to go through the evidence. "Who do you think I am? I'm a detective. I don't need you to tell me to go through files I've already gone through."

"Then what did you do the past hour?" he asked.

"I watched YouTube videos," she answered. Soohyun quickly opened his laptop to check what she did. He had personal files on there! Jisu rolled her eyes. "I didn't give you any viruses or look through your files, alright? I also like having a schedule. And since my hours are flexible, I made my own schedule. Along with some rules."

Soohyun read what she had written. "'Rule one: Do not pick me up to work and from work. Rule two: Do not tell anyone about my job. Rule three: Do not bother Shi Yoon.' Okay, I get the first two rules but the third one? I wasn't the one who hired him!"

"I only gave you three to work with. I would have put down dozens. So just work with those three rules, okay? And when are we going to eat? It's noon." She exited the office and Soohyun let out a defeated sigh. Why was he attracted to her?

Soohyun was in the back seat of his own car while Shi Yoon drove to the restaurant his boss wanted to go to. “Why did you want to eat in the middle of an alley?” Jisu asked from the seat beside Shi Yoon.

“I like that restaurant. It has the best food,” he replied. Then, Shi Yoon and Jisu exchanged glances and no one spoke after that. Soohyun was looking out the window when he noticed they missed the turn. “Hey, hey, you missed it!”

Jusi took off her seatbelt and leaved her seat all the way back. Then, she crawled to the back seat. “Get under here,” she said, referring to the small fort she made with the seat leaned all the way back. He was confused. “What? Why?”

“Someone has been on our tail for a while,” said Shi Yoon.

"That doesn't mean anything. That person could just be going the same way as us."

"I'm circling the block. If that person is still following us, get under the seat." Like Shi Yoon said, he circled around the block. He had passed the same street twice and the car behind him was still following them.

"Get down," Jisu immediately ordered.

"The car's still following us?" Soohyun turned back but Jisu stopped him before the car behind them could see his face. "Can you listen and get down!"

"W-what about you?"

"What about me? I'm going to do my job."

"This wasn't supposed to happen,” he panicked. “Who targets CEOs anyway? I hired you as my bodyguard sure, but I never really meant for you to do anything. Nothing has happened to me in the past five years!"

"Can you just shut up and get down?" Shi Yoon ordered in annoyance. "Jisu, put on your seatbelt. I'm going to lose this stalker." Quickly, Jisu pushed the front seat forward and clicked in her seatbelt in the back. Soohyun also secured his seatbelt and bent down to stay out of view from the windows.

The car accelerated and they went speeding down the street. He watched the rear view mirror and saw the car going the same speed. "The person is definitely following us. Hold on!" He drove on to the highway and swerved through the cars. After swerving in and out and almost crashing into multiple cars, they were able to lose the perpetrator.

They slowed down and parked the car in the empty park. "Is everyone okay?" Jisu nodded and looked to Soohyun. "Our boss is not though," she said. Soohyun looked green and like he was going to pass out any moment. Shi Yoon looked around and found a convenience store nearby. "I'll buy a bottle of water for him. Why don't you take him out for air? Stay near a garbage can. You may need it." He got out, leaving the two behind.

Jisu unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the back door. She rubbed Soohyun's back, who looked like he was going to puke any second. "We're fine. Don't worry. Let's get out for fresh air, okay?" She unbuckled his seatbelt for him and he managed to get out by himself.  He walked to the nearest tree and leaned against it. "Hey, are you okay?" Jisu asked.

He shook his head. "That was the most action I've had in my life. I never thought I would be in a car that is being chased down."

"Well, that's what bodyguards are for, right? Don't worry, we're safe." Soohyun was about to say something but his breathe got hitched in his throat. Jisu frowned. "What's-" she couldn't even finish her sentence when suddenly, a gun pointed to her head.

"Safe? I don't think so," the masked man said. The man had sneaked up behind Jisu while she was talking to Soohyun. She was so worried about Soohyun that she didn't hear the snow quietly crunching behind her. "Any of you make a sound, I'll pull the trigger." The masked man pulled the safety lock, and the gun clicked. The man smiled seeing Soohyun’s fear stricken face. "Good. I like cooperative people." His fingers slid down Jisu's face as she bit her lip in disgust.

Soohyun took a step but stopped when the man pressed the gun harder against her temple. "No need to follow us. It's not you I'm after. I'm after your little bodyguard here. Let's go." He harshly pushed her and then grabbed her wrist to pull her towards his car. Jisu turned her head around and mouthed, "Get out of here" before she was out of sight.

The breath he had been holding in was let out and back in as a gasp. He had seen the man behind her but he just froze. He saw the gun in his hand and knew he was going for Jisu but he coudn't do anything to warn her. "I am so stupid!" he angrily cursed himself.

Shi Yoon had come back from the convenience store and saw Soohyun leaning against the tree. "Where's Jisu?" he asked with two bottles of water in his hand. Soohyun looked at him with great regret. "Jisu...she..."

He dropped the bottles on the ground and grabbed Soohyun's collar. He didn’t care if he was his boss our not. "What the hell happened to her? Where is she?"

Soohyun couldn't meet his eyes and answered. "The man who followed us took her away." Shi Yoon pulled away and cursed. "A black car in the middle of nowhere? This is my entire fault." He placed his hand on his forehead and paced around.

"The man was aiming for Jisu. He didn't want anything to do with me." Shi Yoon looked up. "He wanted Jisu? He was following us because he wanted Jisu?" Soohyun nodded. "Follow me.” The two of them went back into the car as Shi Yoon pulled out his phone and tapped on an app. "Jisu still has her phone with her. If I can track that down, we can find her." After a minute of loading, her location flashed on the screen. It was moving too, meaning she still had her phone on her. Then, he made a quick call to his chief. "Sir, Officer Kwon has been taken into hostage. We need back up. I'll send you the coordinates once her location is maintained. Also, I think it is one of them."

Soohyun furrowed his brows together. Shi Yoon ended the call and started the car. While he was following the tracking device, Soohyun decided to ask, "Who's them?"

"I'll tell you. On one condition: you don't tell Jisu."

"Why can't I?"

"Because it involves the case she is working on. It involves your father's murderer."

He frowned. "You know about this?"

"Anyone who knows Officer Kwon knows she's been trying to crack this case for many years. Anyone who also looked into the case knows he is your father. Promise me you won't tell her anything. If you do, who knows how it will affect her."

"...I promise."

Shi Yoon stopped at the red light. He cursed as he was stuck between a car and the intersection. He checked his phone again. They were still moving. "'Them' is referred to the people who killed Detective Kim and Detective Woo."

"They're both related?"

"It's most likely,” he answered, not catching on the fact that he knew who Detective Woo was. “It isn't a one man job. Murders this complicated is most likely not. My chief is close to Detective Woo and Detective Woo is close to your father. I am actually here not to protect you but to protect Jisu. Those three are all connected to each other so the chief and I decided to stay close to her, in case anything happens. And here's the thing you will never tell her. This is also something you do not know either." He pressed the gas pedal when the lights turned green. "She was the one who found a briefcase near the site of the investigation. Inside the suitcase were body parts. A secret DNA testing was done and it turned about to be Detective Kim."

Soohyun turned pale. He had never heard such thing. He was told his father went missing. "Are...are you kidding me?"

"Does it look I can be joking at a time like this? It's true. Only several people know of this. Your mother did not want such a horrible finding to be publicized, that's why she closed the case and the murderer couldn't be found. The chief told me everything."

Soohyun felt numb. His father had been dragged against his own will and put in a briefcase. How cruel can people be? How cruel is his murder? He couldn't even begin to imagine what it would've been like for her mother. Maybe that's why she never told him; to save him from the horror.

There was one thing that did not make sense. "If she found my dad then...then why is still on the case? She's starting from the very beginning."

Shi Yoon shook his head. "After she found the briefcase, she went hysterical. She spent a year in rehab and therapy. Eventually, her own mind erased that part from her memories." This was newfound information to him. He never knew her father's death meant so much to her. Even when his mother knew, it wasn't that severe. Finding body parts in a briefcase would surely scar her for life and he was glad that part of her memories was erased.

"We're here," Shi Yoon said, snapping him out of his thoughts. They arrived at some kind of beat up building. "Stay here. It'll be dangerous."

"No," he quickly said. "I'll come with you. It was my fault she is like this."

"Although my main priority is Jisu, you are still a part of my contract. Don't get out the car." Shi Yoon lifted up his shirt, revealing a gun. He looked at his boss once more, telling him not to step out the car and got out. Soohyun watched as he disappeared inside the building. He couldn't sit still for a moment. He was so anxious that he was fidgeting and playing with his fingers. He couldn't help but feel guilty and blame himself for letting Jisu be captured. If he had even said anything she would have probably defended herself but he was a breath late.

Then, he had made up his mind. He had to go find Jisu. If he was in danger, he didn't care. It was his fault in the first place. Soohyun got out of the car and ran towards the building. He found a steel rod on the ground and picked it up as his weapon. He walked inside the building, his back against the wall. He didn't know where Jisu was held hostage and he didn't want to randomly look around, putting himself and Jisu at risk. That was what he thought before he heard a gunshot. His eyes widened and he ran up the stairs. He didn't care if his footsteps were echoing in the empty building.

He stopped when he saw someone inside a room. He hid behind the wall and peeked in. He saw the kidnapper and Shi Yoon facing each other. On the ground, he saw the two guns thrown to the side. Now, the two were using their fists. He watched as the kidnapper threw the first punch and he watched as Shi Yoon dodged out of the way and throw a punch in the gut. The man doubled over in pain but he quickly stepped back when Shi Yoon made a quick jab. While the two were having a brawl, Soohyun scanned the room for Jisu. His eyes widened when he saw her in the far wall, tied up to a chair, unconscious.

There was a sudden yell. Soohyun pressed up against the wall as the man ran up the stairs. Shi Yoon ran after him but stopped for a second when he saw Soohyun. Without a word, he continued his chase. When the two were out of sight, he ran in to get Jisu. He knelt down in front of her and called her name a couple times but she didn't respond. He went behind her and tried to untie the rope but it was tied too tightly. He stood up and looked around for something sharp. In a building like this, there must be a shard of glass somewhere. Luckily, he found one near the open window. He ran back to her and cut the rope. Once he did, she fell to her side, dropping into his arms. He lifted her up and walked down the stairs. "You'll be alright. You'll be alright," he chanted. Once he got down, the police just arrived

The chief got out and rushed to the two. "Are you alright?" Soohyun nodded and looked down at Jisu. "She's unconscious."

"Okay, we'll have one of our officers will drive you both to the hospital."

Soohyun nodded and Chief Lee called someone over. "They are both unarmed up there. Their guns are on the fourth floor," he informed before getting into the car. The lights of the police car lit up and they started their way to the hospital. Jisu's head was on his shoulder. "You'll be alright now," he thought as he held her cold hand. "You're safe."

---

Some long awaited action!