13

Lingering Past

When Jisu got home that night, she continued to go through Detective Woo's files. Most of the earlier journals talked about her recovery in the hospital. They weren't going to be helpful in her investigation so she just scanned through them. They weren't the memories she wanted to remember either. After a while of reading, she came across a clue.

It said, "September 23, 2004,

I have finally gotten a hold of Daewon's call history. It was a hard list to attain especially when the family specifically wanted to close the case. Other than his family member's number, my number and Jisu's number that were called the most, there is one number I am not familiar with. It has been called a lot. I'll have to look into that."

Jisu frowned and continued reading through the journal entries. There was no mention about the number anywhere. She turned the page and found it in an entry a month later. "October 28, 2004,

I finally found who the number belonged to. The number belonged to his sister-in-law. This case is going to take a while."

Jisu sighed and closed the folder. She had read so many entries but none of them gave her a lead. She thought that phone number was surely a clue. She got up and stretched her stiff muscles. She looked at the time. It was close to midnight. She thought she would be pulling an all-nighter so she could get through the journal entries.

Jisu walked into her kitchen to make herself a cup of tea. Maybe the caffeine will help her stay awake. While she waited for the water to boil, she the TV to watch the news. It was the usual political, weather and traffic. She flipped through the channels and landed on the entertainment news. She disliked the entertainment news. They were always talking about the growing population of "stars" as they call it. She liked to refer to them as "wannabes". There were idol groups coming out every month. It wasn't only that, they name themselves the weirdest names they could think of. She liked it when the singing groups were kept to a minimum. Now, she sees all these good looking faces advertised everywhere. She doubt most of them had any talent. Suddenly, her neighbour's face appeared on the screen. She was confused to why he would appear on the entertainment news, so she listened carefully.

"In other news, we've conducted a survey from citizens in Hongdae, asking them which non-celebrity would be popular in an idol group. It was clear that CEO of KSH, Kim Soohyun, had the most votes. On the plus side, he was also named the successor of the SKY universities after his father retires. Although we don't know if he is good at singing or dancing, he is sure rich and handsome!" Jisu rolled her eyes and turned off the TV. "Figures. People are so shallow these days." She got up from the couch and brewed her tea in the kitchen. It was going to be a long night.

 

Somehow, Jisu managed to sleep with her head on top of her desk. She didn't remember passing out. She got up when her alarm clock went off and washed her tired face. She dressed and got ready to go to work. She didn't eat breakfast yet because she wanted to buy something instead. She was too tired to do anything. She wondered how she would be able to go through the day.

When she exited her apartment, she half expected to see Soohyun again. They've been coincidentally bumping into each other too much. It made her suspect that it wasn't a coincidence at all. This time though, Soohyun didn't come out of his apartment. Jisu shrugged it off and continued down the lobby. She greeted the security guard who commented about her tired looking face. Anyone could see she was dead tired. From reading the journal entries, she had obtained many clues, but none of them were evidence. The clues made her think until her head wanted to explode. She liked solving clues, that's why she became a detective in the first place. But nothing added up and it made her head hurt.

Since the cafe was only 2 minutes away by taxi, she decided to go by foot. Taxis wouldn't even let her in their car anyways. Jisu stopped at a stop light and waited for the blinking man to show up. She could have walked across the street even without the blinking man because there was no car in sight. Still, she waited for the light to change and when it did, she stepped onto the road and walked across.

Suddenly, the wind picked up and she stopped to rub her eye. Some dust had gotten into her eye and it stung. While she was rubbing her teary eyes, she didn't hear a car accelerate towards her. The lights were red but that car had no thoughts of slowing down. Instead, the car went faster. Finally Jisu heard the sound of a car's engine. She turned her head and her eyes widened; the only thing she could do at that moment. She was frozen in her spot. At the last second, she was pushed to the ground, her face kissing the cold, rough asphalt while the car accelerated away.

Jisu quickly snapped out of her frozen trance and snapped her head up, hoping to get a good look at the license plate but it was too late. The car had gone far off into the distance. "Are you okay?" It was only then Jisu realized someone had saved her from the speeding vehicle. The man got off of her and helped her sit up. Jisu looked at her savior and widened her eyes, just like she had when she saw the car coming. The last person she expected was Kim Soohyun.

"You...what are you doing here?" she asked dumbly.

Soohyun breathed in and out hard, like he had ran a marathon. "If I had been a second late, that car would have hit you. I was jogging when I saw you. I saw the car and it didn't look like it was going to stop." His eyes landed on her cheek, where it was scratched up because of the fall. "Let's get you back to the apartment and clean that scratch of yours. It's going to get infected if you leave it like that."

Now that he mentioned it, Jisu could feel a burning sensation on her cheek. Soohyun got up first, only to fall back down on her. Her cheeks flared red when his lips touched her neck. "Sorry," he apologized, sitting back up. He looked anywhere but her. He just kissed her neck and he could already feel his ears turn red and hot. She sat up and cleared . "It's okay. But are you okay?"

He rotated his ankle and winced. "My foot got hit by the car when I pushed you away. I don't think anything is broken though." He tried standing up again. He winced when he stood on his right foot so he balanced himself with the other. Jisu quickly stood up and helped him balance himself. She stood beside him and hung his arm over her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

If possible, he grew a darker shade of red. It had been a while since he was close to someone of the opposite . Sure, he had been to dance clubs but he was mostly intoxicated before he went on the dance floor. This time, he was perfectly awake. "I-I think it's bruised. Maybe."

"I don't think we can make it back to the apartment. We need to get to a hospital." She looked around for a bench of some sort. She found a stone frame surrounding a tree and decided that would be a good place. "We'll sit over there, okay? Lean on me."

Soohyun nodded but truthfully, he didn't want to lean on her. He was afraid he would be too heavy. He could see she was hurt on her cheeks but who knows where else she may be hurting. Jisu held on to his arm and placed her other hand on his hips to help him balance himself. Soohyun began hopping towards the stone frame, placing none of his weight on her. He had only hopped three times when he lost his balance. Jisu quickly pulled him towards her and held him so he wouldn't fall over.

The two quickly felt hot on that winter day. Jisu's arms were wrapped around his torso while her head was against his chest and Soohyun had his arms wrapped around her neck. He suddenly pushed himself away from her, afraid she would hear the weird sound his heart made. "S-sorry," he said.

"It's...alright," she said, not being to meet his eyes. "Just lean on me. Don't worry, I'm not hurt anywhere else."

Soohyun met her eyes. "Are you sure? You're not hurt anywhere else? It's just your cheek?" She nodded and quickly diverted her eyes to the ground. He was too close for comfort. 

They finally made it to the tree and sat down while Jisu took out her phone to call a taxi. The two sat in total awkward silence as they waited for the taxi to arrive. They looked like two awkward teenagers. It seemed like the first time they had any physical contact with the opposite . Sure, Jia had pinned down many guys in her life and had been pinned down herself. In those situations, it had only been training and whenever she catches the bad guy. This situation however, was different. It was the first time any guy had been on top of her for the purpose of saving her life. The feeling was different and she couldn’t really pinpoint what she was feeling at that moment.

On the other hand, Soohyun was panicking. It was the first time he had ever saved someone. It was also the first time he lied on top of someone, kissed someone's neck and hugged a girl. In high school and college, he had been a man true to his studies. He had no time for girls and none had attracted him. Of course there were many pretty girls but that was merely it. He just thought they were pretty but his heart did not jump and flip like it was doing now and all the other times he saw Jisu.

Finally, she decided to break the awkward silence. "How are you feeling now?"

"Huh?" he stuttered.

"How's your foot?" she repeated.

"Oh. Yeah, it's good." She raised her brow. "Good? That's one weird way of putting it."

He shook his head. "I mean, it doesn't hurt. I think it's just bruised. No bones are broken." She looked at him with skeptical eyes. She didn't believe him. She knelt down in front of him and his eyes widened in shock. "What are you doing?"

"I want to see your foot. If we know the situation, then it would be of better help when we arrive in the hospital. No need for a checkup if we know the problem, right?"

"I guess..." he answered. Jisu proceeded to take off his shoe, starting with his shoelaces. Soohyun was blushing like mad. He never had anyone go near his foot before. She constantly kept looking up, to see if he was in any pain. She loosened the shoelaces as much as she could because she didn't want to pull off his shoe with force since it might hurt him. Instead, she tried to take it off like a slipper. She managed to do so and she continued with his sock. He winced and she had to look up. "You okay?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Keep going."

She held his foot in place and took off the sock as gently as she could. She finally took it off and Soohyun finally let his bottom lip free from his teeth. She frowned when she saw his bruised foot. She grazed her fingers over his giant purple bruise and Soohyun involuntary shivered at her touch. "Sorry," she said.

"What for?" he asked.

"For this," she said.  "If you just let me be, then you wouldn’t be injured like this."

Soohyun frowned. "You were in danger. A car was trying to run you over. It didn't matter if the person on the road was you or anyone else. I still would have done the same thing."

A car was trying to kill her. A person was trying to kill her. Who else would try to harm her but the person who killed Detective Kim and Detective Woo? She made a mental note to check the security cameras. The driver of the car can be a big clue to her search.

"So don't be sorry," he continued, "This bruised foot is better than a dying citizen." She stood back up and sat beside him. "Okay, I won't be sorry. But what are you going to do about your job? I mean, you were featured on the entertainment news."

"I was...? What for?"

"The non-celebrity who would be successful in an idol group."

"What? Seriously?" She scoffed at his happy face. "They picked you because of your pretty face. Other than that, I don't know why you would be picked. You have no talent."

"How do you know? I can sing and dance."

She shrugged. "You're not going to do any of that soon with that foot of yours."

"Whatever," he said. "This foot doesn't affect my singing. I can be a sitting singer. The ones in the stool with a guitar."

She rolled her eyes as she saw a taxi come by. She waved at it and the taxi came to a stop. "Your dream has to be postponed. Our ride is here." She picked up his shoe and helped him up. They both got into the taxi and was on their way to the hospital.

 

After the hospital visit, Soohyun came out with a bandaged foot and two crutches. Jisu came out with a bandage on her cheek and some pain killers from the pharmacy. "I thought you said it was only your cheek," Soohyun said.

"Oh, this isn't from the accident. I sit too much and my back hurts."

Soohyun nodded, although he didn't completely believe her. He looked around and saw a familiar car parked in front of the hospital. "My ride is here," he announced. Before he could even offer her a ride she said, "Good. Mine is too."

Just then, a white car drove up and Soohyun immediately recognized it. The driver got out and went straight to Jisu. "Are you okay? Are you seriously injured?" Shi Yoon asked in concern. She smiled. "I'm okay."

He looked at Soohyun. "Is your ride here? I'll help you." He reached to grab his arm but Soohyun jerked away like he was some kind of disease. "No thanks. I'll get there myself. Bye Jisu." He walked off and Shi Yoon followed him, in case he tripped. Jisu couldn't help but want to help him instead. It was her fault that he was injured so it would be natural to help him. Right?