6

Lingering Past


Another week had passed and Soohyun had no idea if Jisu was working or not. He had so many ideas on how to approach her but once he thought it over, it was not the right method. It was plain stupid. Eventually, he stopped thinking about her. She was making his chest feel funny whenever he thought of her. He didn't know what it was but once he stopped thinking about her, the weird feeling was gone. He had a lot of work and his job as the CEO was more important than Jisu. He would just have to find another detective to help him.  

It was a Sunday morning, Soohyun's day off. On Sundays, Soohyun would go out for a jog and go back to his apartment to continue his work. Usually, no one would be awake as early as him, but when he exited his apartment, there was a male sleeping against his neighbor’s door; the neighbour whom he never met before.  

Soohyun crouched down and shook the sleeping boy. "Hey, wake up." The boy opened his eyes slowly and met Soohyun's eyes. Soohyun remembered this boy. He was the one who was with Jisu on the first floor. The boy looked confused for a moment then, his eyes widened when he realized where he was. He suddenly stood up, startling Soohyun. The boy pounded on the door and called, "Noona, open the door! Noona!" He stood up and asked the other what was wrong but he was cut off when the frantic boy pleaded, "You've got to help me. The person in this apartment hasn't been answering her phone and she hasn't been at work for over a week!"  

"Are you sure she's not on a vacation?" Soohyun asked. 

"My cousin always tell me whenever she goes away!" He noticed the panic in the boy's eyes and told him calmly, "We'll go down to the lobby and ask the security guard for the keys." Soohyun and the boy, who introduced himself as Kai, took the elevator down to the lobby and calmly told the security guard what happened. The three rode the elevator back up to the tenth floor and the security guard fished out his master key to the apartment 105.  

The security guard opened the door and Kai immediately ran in, with the other two following behind. The apartment looked clean and normal. Nothing was out of the ordinary until Kai screamed. Soohyun and the security guard ran into the direction of Kai's yell. They found him in the bedroom, shaking a female's figure, calling her name. The security guard immediately called the ambulance while Soohyun went to check up on the girl lying in the bed. When he approached the bed, he saw the girl's face and his eyes widened. He knelt down by her bedside and shook her. "Jisu! Wake up! Officer Kwon!" Kai looked at the man with a questioning look. But his attention went back to his cousin who was lying still in her bed.   

Last night, he had been calling her and knocking on her door when he heard from Officer Yoon that she hadn't been going to work. If she were to go somewhere, she would always inform him or his mother, but his mother didn't know a thing. Kai thought if he slept outside her door, she would eventually come out and he wouldn't miss her. He didn't think she would be lying unconscious in her bed. 

Soon, the ambulance arrived and picked up Jisu. Kai rode in the ambulance to the hospital while Soohyun chased after the ambulance in his black car. Once they arrived at the hospital, the paramedics rushed Jisu to the emergency room to check her vitals while the two males waited outside. Kai was sitting on the bench, looking scared and lost. He reminded Soohyun about who Jisu looked like when she went to the hospital. This time, Soohyun didn't watch from afar. He sat down beside Jisu's relative and placed his hand on his shoulder. "She'll be alright," he assured. "The doctors will take care of her."  

"She's my only cousin," he said. "Me and my mom are her only family."  

"What about her parents?" Soohyun questioned. Kai shook his head. "Her parents abandoned her. Her parents are ultra conservative and strict and they wanted her to become a politician. Instead, she became a detective. They kicked her out of the house when she decided not to go to one of the three prestigious universities and abandoned her when she graduated as a detective."  

Soohyun mumbled, "What kind of parents..." 

Kai chuckled halfheartedly. "I know. My mom doesn't understand them either. My parents got divorced this year. When Jisu noona got demoted to an officer, we told her to stay close to us. It's only us three now. I don't want to lose her."  

"She's a strong person. She'll be alright," Soohyun assured. Kai straightened up and looked at him. "How do you know her? You don't seem to be another cop."  

"About that...it's a weird story. I met her while she was giving me a speeding ticket." Kai mentally rolled his eyes. He knew his cousin hated those kinds of people the most. He also knew her ability to forget the people she gave tickets to, so he wondered who this man really was. "Then, I noticed that we were living in the same apartment building. At first I thought she lived on the first floor. I guess she's the neighbor I never met before." The two were so emerged in their small talk that they didn't see the doctor come out of the sliding doors.  

The doctor had to call them. "Jisu's guardian?" The two males stood up and replied, "Here." Kai gave Soohyun a weird look and the other gave him an apologetic one. He didn't mean to announce himself as her guardian. It just came out. "Is my cousin okay?"  

The doctor nodded and the two released the breath they've been holding. "She just fainted from malnutrition and dehydration. There's nothing too serious about her condition."

"Do you know how long she starved herself?" Soohyun asked. 

The doctor nodded. "I don't know that for sure. It may have been several days. When she came in, her pulse was low, and since she was unconscious for a while, she didn't get much oxygen into her blood stream. It isn't vital, but it's something we monitored."  

"Is she conscious now? Can we go see her?"  ​

"She's not conscious at the moment. She's in the single room, to monitor her vitals." The nurse led the two to Jisu's room. The two went in to see Jisu with an oxygen mask on and an IV dripped hooked to her arm. Kai and Soohyun approached her and watched her heart rate on the monitor. It was stable, to their relief. Kai pulled over the stool and sat down beside Jisu's bedside. He grabbed her hand and it gently. "I think I know why Jisu is like this," Kai said, staring at the oxygen mask she had on. "It's because of a funeral she went to." 

Soohyun seemed surprised. He knew she was devastated but he never knew she was this devastated. "Who died?" Soohyun asked, pretending to be clueless. 

"A close friend of hers. He was actually a detective who was old enough to be her father. All I know is that they were very close." Soohyun started to think the impossible. He couldn't have been her lover. The man had a family. "Ten years ago, a detective died in a car crash and she was like this, too. She would lock herself in her room and she never went out." Soohyun thought back to his father. His father died ten years ago, too. He was also a detective who went missing in a car crash. 

"How old is she? She can't be that old." 

"She's 26," Kai answered. 

His eyes widened, not believing how young she was. He never knew detectives could be that young. He thought they had to go through a difficult process to be a detective. "For a young girl like her, how could she have known the detective? She was only 16 then." 

"She had always dreamt of being a detective, although her parents wanted her to be a politician. She was so determined to be a detective, that she visited the local police station. She asked them about how it felt like to be one but there were only cops there, so they couldn't answer her. Luckily, there was a detective there. Somehow, the two became close. They probably had a father-daughter relationship. She was very happy but the day he died, she wanted to die with him. I'm guessing she's being like this now, too." 

Soohyun looked at Jisu, who was sleeping with an oxygen mask on. He admired her will but he detested her at the same time. She had a life for a reason. She became a detective for a reason. Why would she want to end her own life because two other detectives? While Soohyun was in his own thoughts, Kai had gotten a phone call from home. "I've got to go home. My mom wants me to turn the stove off." 

"The stove?" Soohyun questioned. "Yeah. She forgets things easily. I should also get some spare clothes for Jisu also." 

"I'll stay here," Soohyun said when he felt him hesitating. "If she wakes up, I'll call you." The other nodded. "Thank you. You know my number." He left the room, leaving Soohyun with Jisu. While he was with Jisu, he started thinking. He thought about his father and the girl who bawled at his passing. He thought about the reason why he didn't cry and why that girl who he never seen before cried. 

The young girl wasn't with anyone. She was in the corner crying by herself, not caring about the stares other people gave her. Honestly, Soohyun wanted to go over and calm her down. But he didn't because he was confused. Why hadn't he cried like her? Why was she crying because of his father? 

While Soohyun was trapped in his thoughts, Jisu stirred awake. She was confused to why everything looked so white and why there was an annoying beeping sound. She looked around and met a man who was staring into space. She closed her eyes and reopened them. She thought she was hallucinating. "Is that Detective Kim?" she thought. "Am I in heaven?" 

In a raspy voice, she called, "Detective Kim." The man looked at her and she smiled weakly. "Detective Kim, it is you." 

Soohyun leaned towards her. "Jisu, are you alright?" 

She nodded. "Of course. Because you're here. Do you know how much I've missed you? Do you know how much I've tried looking for you? Do you know..." her voice cracked and tears started falling. "Do you know Detective Woo died? Do you know he died the same way you did?"

Soohyun stayed silent and listened to her talk. "His steering wheel got locked. His steering wheel..." Then, out of exhaustion, she fell back into her slumber. 

Soohyun couldn't believe what he heard. He stared at her sleeping figure with wide eyes. During the crash, his father's wheel was also locked.