25

Lingering Past

The following day, Jisu arrived at the office with Soohyun. Again, after a bit of interviewing, he found out she didn't remember the whole persuasion thing he had to do to get her to work with him. She didn't remember what happened during that car chase either. However she did remember she worked at a police station before she quit so he told her to work with him instead of lay around at home. She agreed and went back into her apartment to change her clothes. All the files and anything related to the two cases were safely stored at Shi Yoon's apartment.

They headed up to the last floor and headed towards his office. "Officer Kwon!" Secretary Lee called. "I heard about your accident. Are you alright?"

She looked at him, a tad confused. It was her first time ever meeting him but replied in a calm tone, "Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

"Can you bring in coffee for us?" Soohyun requested before heading into his office, closing the door behind him when Jisu entered. "I didn't tell him about your slight amnesia. He doesn't need to know. You two don't talk very much anyway so there won't be a problem acting around him."

She nodded and watched him take a seat at his desk. "Uh, so what do I do?"

"Well...you're a bodyguard. You won't be doing a lot today since I only have meetings. But I'll get you something to do. Come here." She walked over to his desk as he took out a bunch of folders and papers from his drawer. "You can sort these out any way you want. Just give tell me your sorting method so I know how to find things."

She laughed and he stared at her in confusion. "Whether it be ten years ago or now, you always make me organize your files." He blinked and then awkwardly smiled. "Yeah..."

The entire morning, Jisu organized his giant pile of papers while Soohyun worked on his own things although he did catch himself staring at her for a minute too long. By noon, a knock sounded at the door. Secretary Lee popped in and reminded him of his meeting starting soon. Jisu watched as he packed his papers and laptop for the meeting. "How long will the meeting be?" she asked.

"It takes about an hour or so," he replied. "You can stay here for the time being. I'll be back." Before she could even ask him about lunch, he left the office. She sighed and looked around. She was almost finished with sorting the papers and she had nothing else to do. Who knew being a bodyguard was so boring?

Then, the door opened and Shi Yoon walked in. "Let's go eat lunch," he said with a tired smile. "There's also something I need to tell you."

The two of them were seating at the restaurant they were meant to go before the accident. "What did you want to tell me?"

"Let's talk about it after we eat. It saves our appetite."

After they finished their lunch, they headed back into his car as he drove to his wanted destination. "You still haven't told me what you wanted to tell me. And also, where are we going? Detective Kim is almost finished his meeting. We need to get back."

"Okay, fine. I was going to tell you once we get there but since you're so impatient... The man who tried to kill you didn't make it." Her eyes rounded in surprise. That wasn't what she was expecting at all. "Well, actually, he did make it through surgery. But someone outside or inside the hospital removed his lifeline. They weren't able to catch his face because the cameras weren't working during the scene of the crime. That means you're in more danger and in need of more protection than Soo-uh...Detective Kim." Luckily, she wasn't able to catch his mistake because she had her head wrapped around the fact that she was being targeted by the same person who killed the detectives. Finally, Shi Yoon stopped in front of a karaoke bar. "There's also something else you need to know."

The two of them headed in and into the reserved room where someone was waiting for them. "Zico? What are you doing here?" Jisu asked.

"Have a seat, I'll tell you," he said, getting straight to the point. She sat down across from him with Shi Yoon beside her, keeping a wary eye on Zico. He rarely got this serious. "As you know, Detective...Woo's death happened ten years ago. February 4th to be exact but in one month, the statute of limitations will be over."

Jisu's eyes widened. "Wait, what? The statute of limitations is 15 years!"

He shook his head. "They've been talking about decreasing that number for years and they've come to a conclusion for it to decrease to 10 years. Now that they agreed to the new law, it will take a month for it to come into effect. That means we have exactly 30 days to close the case." She was speechless. She didn't expect that to happen at all. With the case she found so impossible to solve was made even more impossible. "Also...here." Zico slid a manila folder towards her. "Do you remember Detective Woo's partner?"

"Yeah...he retired right after his death. We tried to contact him but he ran away. He was on the Wanted List for quite some time."

Zico almost smiled, relieved she remembered that part. He was told beforehand that her memories were jumbled up and that she seemed to think it was Detective Woo that died ten years ago and not Detective Kim. "That's right. I did some snooping and I think I found him."

She stared at him with wide eyes before she opened the folder. There he was, staring right back at her in the corner of the page. "...how did you manage to find him? You're..."

"Amazing, awesome, and super handsome?" he guessed. "...yes!" He let out a big laugh. It was the first time she ever tried to humor him. She would usually tell him otherwise or just kick him down but this Jisu was very different. "Seriously, if you don't get your memories back and come back as my partner, that's totally fine with me." Shi Yoon frowned at his suggestion. He wasn't even supposed to talk about her memories and he was specifically warned about that but she thought otherwise and agreed with a smile.

The two left the karaoke bar and headed back to the office. It was quiet on the way back because Jisu was in deep thoughts. "Are you okay?" he asked as he was driving.

"No, I'm not," she answered. "This case has been ongoing for ten years and now we only have a month to find the culprit. It's also hard on me because I don't know what I remember or what I forgot after my accident."

"I don't know if you remember what I told you before but I'll tell you again - maybe you just have to start fresh. You have so much info that may be contradicting each other. It's a good place to start now. You don't remember what you don't know and you have new evidence. Grab the basic info and start all over again. You aren't the best and youngest detective for nothing."

She smiled and looked at him. "Thanks, oppa. What would I do without you?"

He shrugged. "Continue with your life along with your memories?" He meant to say it in a joking manner but she could hear right through his words. He was still beating himself over her accident. She held his hand that was resting on the middle compartment, making him glance at her. "It's not your fault. I'm fine, and because of you, I'll be able to solve the case." He smiled gave her hand a small squeeze in thanks.

When they arrived back to the office, Shi Yoon immediately asked for a vacant office. "Why?" Soohyun asked.

"Detective Woo's statute of limitations expire in a month," he explained. "We need an office to gather all the evidence. We need to work together to solve it."

"You don't need a vacant office," he said, walking to the left wall of his office. Against the wall was his double door closet. He opened the closet and pushed away the hangers and clothes to reveal the back wall. When he felt his fingers along the edge, the back wall opened up like a door, revealing another door.

"You have a secret room?" Jisu whispered in awe. "That's amazing...it's just like Narnia..."

Soohyun smirked, biting down his laughter before he punched in a code and it beeped open. "You can use this place instead. No one really knows about this room, not even my front staff. It's supposed to be a safe room but there's enough space and light for whatever you want to do."

"Oppa, we're going into Narnia..." She smiled in excitement before grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the closet. Shi Yoon laughed as he followed her. They stepped inside the pitch dark room before Soohyun turned the lights on from the string on the ceiling. He turned towards them to speak but got distracted by the sight of them holding hands. He looked away from their hands to their faces. Jisu was just absolutely amazed by the secret room, like a kid while Shi Yoon was smiling while watching her.


Why was Shi Yoon smiling at her like she was the most precious thing on the planet? Didn't he indirectly tell him, 'hey, she's all yours'?

He cleared his throat to get their attention. "So this is where you will work I guess. I can bring a table in and a whiteboard if you need one."

"Thanks, Detective Kim, this is awesome!" It felt like a hole appeared in his stomach. He was reminded that she wouldn't look at him in any romantic way as long as he was playing his role.

 

The following day, the three met up in the secret room. Soohyun had managed to place a table and a white board in there while Shi Yoon brought the basic information about the case. "Okay, so here we have the original file. This is what was investigated before the family decided to close the case. Detective Woo died in a car accident on Feburary 4th, 2004. It was revealed that the brake wires were cut just so after enough uses, it would snap. As he was approaching a stop light, he was not able to brake and so to avoid running into ongoing traffic, he swerved into the rail and rolled down the hill. After the 911 call was made, the car was found but not the body. The theories were he either rolled out his car and into the lake or someone forcefully opened the door and kidnapped him dead or alive. A week later, the family closed the case."

He dropped the file on the table and watched Jisu's reaction. She stared at the Manila folder in front of her and clenched her hands into fists. Now that she heard the report, she couldn't help but become angry at the family. How could they close the case just a week after his disappearance? It made no sense! Beside her, Soohyun noticed her clenched fists so he reached over and held it in his. His touch snapped Jisu back to reality and relaxed a bit. She gave Soohyun a small smile, signaling she was alright.

"There are witness reports," the other continued, making them break she contact. "But they're just like any other car crash statements. No one witnessed his body rolling out or any strange people around."

"His accident happened at a large intersection, right?" she asked.

"That's correct. There were a lot of witnesses and cameras that pointed to the accident but there was no footage to prove someone kidnapped. Still, it is a possibility," he answered, thinking back to the notes that stated a bloody suitcase was found at the scene of the crime.

"Okay, so what new evidence have we received?" Soohyun asked.

He turned to the whiteboard and flipped it around, revealing a mind map. There was a phone number, Secretary Lee, Soohyun's mom and dad, Detective Woo's partner, and the criminal who tried to kill Jisu in question. "So, what we know right now is the number he called recently on his call list. We searched the number and it was revealed to be Secretary Lee's wife. But the thing is, she wasn't his wife ten years ago and that old number is still on his file, meaning his current number right now is not under his name but his wife's." He tapped the picture of Detective Woo's partner. "Ji Sungi, Detective Woo's partner that went missing after his death. No one knows if he's alive or murdered but according to Zico, he might be alive."

Then, he tapped to the man in question. "Lee Junki, the man who tried to harm Jisu but tried to hide the secret by jumping off the building and was murdered inside the hospital while he was on life support."

"Why is Detective Kim's wife on there?" Jisu asked, pointing to the picture in the corner.

Shi Yoon looked at Soohyun. "She might be an accomplice but we'll look at her later. We first need to find out where Ji Sungi is hiding. Detective Kim, you can find out about the numbers Detective Woo called and talk to Secretary Lee. Jisu and I will go on a road trip."

Right after their short meeting, Shi Yoon and Jisu were on the road. It was quiet a far ride so she dozed off while he was concentrating on the road. An hour later, he woke her up. They were in the countryside, in a small village. There were still piles of unmelted snow there while in the city, the snow had completely melted. They got out of the car that was parked on the side of the road and approached the house on the address they had. It was a small house in between two other small properties. Shi Yoon pressed the doorbell and waited but no one answered so he pressed it again. Just then, the neighbor exited his house. Shi Yoon walked up to him and asked, "Do you know where Ji Sangi is?"

The man looked at him suspiciously. "Why do you want to know?"

"We wanted to see how he was doing. He hasn't visited us in a while so my boyfriend and I wanted to visit my grandpa," Jisu made up, hoping he'd buy her story. The man looked back and forth the two before waving them to follow him. Shi Yoon looked at Jisu and she shrugged, tugging him along. They didn't walk far before they reached a community building. "He's probably playing another round of Go Stop. In the corner." He pointed with his head before heading inside.

The two headed towards the corner of the room, noticing a group of older ladies and gentleman gathering around the table. "Haha! I win!" a man cheered.

"No way! You cheated!"

"Oh come on, you can't accuse me of cheating for the past five years! Pay up!" Jisu shimmied her way through the crowd to see what all the commotion was about when her eyes widened at the man who had his hand out, waiting to get paid. "Detective Ji..." He looked up at the familiar name. He stared at her for a couple seconds before his eyes rounded in surprise, recognizing her face. He stood up, forgetting all about the money he was being paid. "Jisu...is that right?"

She nodded, with tears form on the rim of her eyes. He was exactly the same ten years ago except for the greying hair and the additional wrinkles.

They were in his house sitting at the dining room table, waiting for the tea to be brewed. "So, how did you know I was here?" Sangi asked, pouring the tea out in the cups.

"I didn't. A good partner of mine did."

"He must be a real smart one. Or he has a lot of time on his hands."

She frowned. "You were missing for ten years and wanted for five. He did a good job."

He suddenly laughed while placing the cups of tea in front of his two guests and took his seat. "I guess you're right about that. You found me. Now what?"

"We need you to tell us the reason why you suddenly decided to retire on February 4, 2004. You were still young and able. Why did you quit right after a death of your own colleague?" Shi Yoon asked.

The other chuckled. "A detective can retire any time he wants. There might have been something disturbing that led me to quit."

"...Jisu, can you go into my car and grab the Manila folder?" he handed his keys to her and she walked out. "Look, Jisu was in an accident recently and has some memory damage. She thinks Detective Kim and Detective Woo are each other. She thinks Detective Kim is alive and Detective Woo is dead. So I don't want to say any names while she's here. If she knows both of them are dead, she'll go crazy."

He straightened up. "Wait, Detective Woo is dead?"

The other nodded, "Yes, he is and we suspect it's the same person that killed Detective Kim so if you tell us what you know and some evidence, we can find out who it is."

"Secretary Lee," he answered and the other frowned. "What?"

"It's Secretary Lee. He killed Detective Kim."

"How do you know that?"

"I saw him in his car. I thought it was Detective Kim at first but when I looked closer, I noticed the man had a suit and he never wears suits so I stayed around to take a closer look. It was his friend. I heard the brakes were cut, wasn't it?"

"You heard? You weren't updated in it?" He shook his head. "Then what made you retire? You can't just retire and go into hiding."

"... you know, none of bad guys eat out their boss but they can eat out each other."

Shi Yoon frowned deeply. “So you’re saying Secretary Lee cut Detective Kim’s brakes but he’s not behind Detective Woo’s accident?”

“I didn’t say he wasn’t behind Detective Woo’s accident. I didn’t even know he died so how would I know?”

“But there is someone behind all of it, isn’t there?”

Sangi shrugged in an exaggerated manner, making him lost his temper. Shi Yoon sprang up and grabbed him by the collar. "Who the hell is he?!"

He smirked and asked. "How did Jisu get hurt?"

"She was abducted by one of your boss’s guys!"

"And I'm assuming since she's alive and well, he tried to kill himself?"

"He tried to and was on life support before someone else killed him," he answered, making Sangi scoff. "I can't believe he still keeps tabs on people. You know, he might be keeping tabs on me. After today, you might hear me dead. If your friend found me, he will find me in a snap of a finger. He's a scary one so I advise you not to get into his way or he'll kill you like he did to those other two detectives and to me soon."

"Just tell me who he is so I can kill him before he can kill you!" Sangi decided to entertain him and whispered it in his ear. His eyes widened before dropping his collar. "What?"

"You heard me," he said, rubbing his neck. "You heard me loud and clear."

“Do you have any evidence?”

He shook his head. “Tried to, didn’t work. Why else do you think I went missing?”

"Oppa, I couldn't find what you wanted," Jisu said, stepping inside. She looked between the two: one was shocked, the other was dead serious. "What happened?"

He straightened up and walked towards her. "We're leaving."

"What? Why? We came all this way for him!"

"There's nothing he will tell us. He's only wasting our time. Let's go." Before she could even utter out another word, he pushed her out the house and slammed the door. They walked to his car in silence and rode back in silence. Obviously, he wasn't in his best mood and she didn't want to push him. They were almost back to the office when her stomach growled loudly. She looked the other way in embarrassment and hoped it didn't cry in anger again. But it did. Twice. She reached towards the radio but he stopped her. "What do you feel for lunch?" he asked.

She turned to him. "What?"

"Lunch," he repeated, still keeping his eyes on the road. "What do you want?"

"Uh..." Before she could answer, her stomach growled loud. He laughed and said, "Burgers it is."

They entered a McDonalds and ordered their meal then they sat down at a vacant table. She grabbed her BigMac while he opened his McChicken. "So, what did you two talk about? You didn't tell me anything."

"It's nothing you should be concerned about."

"And why not? This involves the person I've known for 15 years, minus the years he had passed. Why can you know and why am I left in the dark?"

"Because you can't handle it."

She grew angry. Even though she got into an accident, did that mean she was weak? Did she look weak in his eyes? She was so angry that she dropped her burger and slammed her hand down on the table, scaring some kids around them. "Am I the stereotypical girl that would cry and break down? Am I someone who can't handle a fact? Do I look like that kind of person to you? I gave you some time to cool down on the ride back and you're still not going to tell me because you think I can't handle it? For God's sake, I can't believe you think of me like that! You're such a ist !" She burst, not even caring about the moms complaining and the children crying. She watched as his stoic face turned into amusement. "Oh, and now you're laughing! Well, off!"

She got up, leaving her forgotten burger and left the restaurant. She walked past the car they came in and walked to the sidewalk, opting to take the bus home. She wasn't even in the mood to go back to work, especially when she was going be sharing the same air as him. Suddenly, she was tugged on the arm and was turned around. Shi Yoon was smiling brightly at her. It was the first time he smiled like that after the accident and it caught her off guard.

"What the hell do you want?" she hissed, yanking her arm out of his grasp. He laughed and that only made her angrier. "Why are you-" She was cut short when he pulled her into a tight hug. Her heart skipped a beat and her eyes rounded in surprise.

"I missed you so much." She frowned in confusion. "What?" "After the accident you were so happy and positive about everything. I've only worked with you for two months before that and I've only known your sassy attitude and your bad mouth. And it's crazy to say, but I missed it."

She rolled her eyes. "You're so crazy."

He let go and gently pushed her back. "You rolled your eyes, didn't you? I could hear it in your voice."

She scoffed is disbelief. "Did you really miss this side of me? You like it when I'm all mean and stuff?" He nodded. "Wow. You're such a masochist."

His mouth opened to refute but was quickly replaced with a smile. He didn't even care how she thought of him. He was just glad she showed her that side of her again. There was so much pressure and stress out on him when she praised him last time. The way she looked at him and smiled at him while voicing out her gratitude made him work harder but seeing the other side of her lifted the weight off his shoulders. He was reminded that Jisu was the same officer he worked with back at the crappy police station. He was reminded that Jisu wasn't strong and hard headed when she wanted things her way and would always curse even if there were minors around. He was reminded that despite all the hardships she went through, she still managed to stand back up on her feet. Right then he promised himself that he would protect her as much as he could and still solve the case within the time frame.