15

Lingering Past

That evening, Jisu stayed in Soohyun's apartment to take care of him. That was the least she could do to make up for the things he had done for her.

He started off by dropping her off at work and helped her to the hospital. Then, he bought her new boots when her shoes were a soaked mess, helped her cousin calm down when he couldn't get in touch with her and then he saved her from getting run over by a car. All she did was scoff in his face and give him speeding tickets. Honestly, she thought he was one of those rich men who were stuck-up because of money. Well, that was her obvious reaction when he acted so cocky to a police officer and came in with a briefcase of money with no shame. After that, she caught him speeding again like he didn't learn his lesson. Honestly, she didn't know if he was just bipolar or if it as just a facade to hide his real self.

Jisu sent Soohyun to his bedroom while she made food for him. He said he hadn't eaten a proper meal at home in ages. Although to some he may look perfect, he was not. He couldn't cook a proper meal to save himself. He usually ate out in restaurants and if he had to eat at home, he would eat rice with egg and canned ham. Those were the only things he knew how to cook.

Jisu tasted the porridge before turning off the stove. She wiped her hands on the damp towel and walked into Soohyun's room to inform him the food was ready. She poked her head through the doorway before she fully walked inside the room. His room was also tidy and neat, the opposite of her room. The papers on his desk were stacked in a neat order while hers was all over the table and on the ground.

Her eyes focused back on Soohyun, who was quietly snoring in his bed. It hadn't been long since she had been cooking. He must've been really tired. She approached him and knelt down beside the bed. She watched him for a bit before she felt his forehead. He was still hot as before. She would have to place an ice pack or a cold towel on his forehead after he eats. She was about to shake him awake but her eyes landed on a picture from on his night stand. In the dark, she could see that it was a family photo, except the Soohyun in the picture looked younger and with shorter hair. She wanted to see his face clearly, so she lifted the frame up to the light where it shone from the hallway.

The small smile on her face was completely wiped off and it was replaced with shock. Detective Kim was posing with his wife and Soohyun. Detective Kim is Soohyun's dad. A groan made her flicker her eyes towards Soohyun. He was slowly opening his eyes and Jisu quickly placed the picture frame down. "Jisu?"

"Huh? Oh, food is ready. Come and eat." She stood up and exited the room before Soohyun could get up. She was still in shock. How did she not know Soohyun was Detective Kim's son? She knew his wife but how did she not recognize Soohyun? He did not talk much about his family but she remembered him showing her a family picture exactly like the one on Soohyun's night stand. Now that she thought about it, he looked very similar to Detective Kim.

 

"Jisu, look," Detective Kim said one day. Jisu had been refilling his files, although there wasn't much to do. He was as neat as a robot programmed to pinpoint everything out if order. Jisu usually hung around his office on Fridays after school, pretending to be at the library when her parents asked. She walked over and peered over his shoulder to see what he was holding. "What is it?"

"It's a family photo," he boasted, showing her the wallet sized photo of his family. Jisu looked closely at it, seeing a beautiful family in front of her eyes. She thought his wife was beautiful and his son looked a lot like him. "We had a family photo shoot just yesterday. I told them I promised to take a photo together."

"Are you just showing off? Jisu asked. "I'm not interested in your family, you know." She walked back to the cabinets and continued to sort out the files.

He laughed. "Of course not! I just wanted you to see my son. He's handsome, isn't he? He's not much older than you and he doesn't have a girlfriend."

Jisu turned around to see him smiling. She narrowed her eyes at him. "What are you getting at?"

He shrugged and turned around in his chair. "I just wanted to inform you the space as my daughter in law is available."

Jisu laughe, "I'm only 16!"

He turned back around. "He's only 20! Don't worry. I'll keep that spot available as long as I can. Well, maybe for only five years. I'm getting old too, you know!"

 

"Jisu?" She snapped out of her thoughts and turned around. "Are you coming?" She nodded her head and headed to the kitchen. The two sat down with a bowl in front of Soohyun. "Aren't you going to eat? You should eat."

She shook her head. "I only made enough for you. There's enough for another two bowls but that's for tomorrow."

"It's fine, you can eat it. I'll order something tomorrow.”

"Your fever will get worse tomorrow before it can get any better," she said. "You won't be able to get up, let alone dial up a number. Don't worry about me. I'll eat something when I get home."

He picked up his spoon and started eating while it was still hot. The two sat in silence, with the only sounds of Soohyun eating. He thought it was an awkward atmosphere so he started a conversation. "About my case..." Jisu looked up from her lap. "I know you told me to get a law attorney and all and I did! I did everything before I asked you. They said it was too difficult. So I thought you could reinvestigate."

"Did I not tell you already? I won't do it," she directly denied.

He frowned, "But you told me you were a closed case detective"

"I don't want to do it."

"You don't...want to? But we agreed to talk about it. I'll tell you everything that happened and then you can judge whether it's impossible or not."

"Don't you get it?" she asked, raising her voice. "I won't do it because of the amount of people you asked rejected you. It's a difficult case that no one will be able to figure it out. No evidence from ten years ago will solve this case. It's a definite cold case!"

"Jisu-"

"Okay, look. You wanted to talk about your case and we're talking about. It doesn't mean I'm going to reinvestigate for you when you have no solid evidence; when none of the people you asked have evidence. We're done talking." She stood up and he did too. She picked her phone up from the couch and said, "Get better soon. You'll need the strength."

She exited his apartment before he could say a word and entered her own. She entered room and headed straight to her desk. Then, she pushed all the papers off her desk, sending them flying everywhere. She dumped all the folders from the boxes and scattered them everywhere. Tears fell down as she dumped more folders out and kicked more papers around. She leaned against the wall and slid down, burying her face in her hands. She cried as tears fell down nonstop. Why was she still attached to Detective Kim who died more than a decade ago? Why did she tell Soohyun all the things she should have told herself? The case is impossible so why was she still attached to it? It's so frustrating, not being able to do anything when there is no evidence!