11

Lingering Past

The doorbell rung and Jisu wiped her hands on a cloth to get the door. "Why is he so early? It's not even noon yet," Jisu said, running towards the door.

She opened the door to meet the biggest disappointment of her day. "Morning," Soohyun greeted.

"What are you doing here?" she said with venom in her voice.

"Kai invited me over." Then, Kai came over and said, "I invited him over."

Jisu gave him a glare. "Who said you can invite anyone over? This is my house. You're living under my roof. Who gives you the right to invite people over?"

He nudged her playfully. "This is Soohyun we're talking about. You don't mean that, do you?"

"That gives me all the more to not have anyone over."

"Then does that mean I can invite my friends from school over?" he asked and Jisu deadpanned. "Go play in your own house. Go!" She pushed Kai out and locked the door. "Noona!" he called.

Soohyun stared at Kai with a raised brow. "I thought you said she didn't mean what she said. It definitely looks like she meant it."

Kai shook his head. "I know she doesn't. Watch. She'll be opening the door up any moment." And true to his words, the door did open up. Kai smiled but was suddenly hit with a duffel bag. "Those are your belongings. It's been weeks since you've lived here and I can't take it! You're the messiest and pickiest person I've ever met! Go home!" She slammed the door shut and the two winced. Soohyun looked at the bag in Kai's arms and scoffed, "She means it."

Kai suddenly banged on her door. "Noona! Noona! I'm sorry! I won't be messy anymore! I'll clean up my mess and I won't pick out the ginger and pepper! I'll eat them all! I'll study hard! I'll ace all my classes! Let me in!" Jisu didn't answer the door. Soohyun pulled him back and shook his head, telling him it was useless.

At that moment, Shi Yoon came out from the elevator with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. The two boys watched him with a glare. Shi Yoon saw the two boys and smiled. "Wow, I'm seeing you both again. Is Jisu in?"

The two boys suddenly blocked the door and yelled, "No!" surprising Shi Yoon. "Where is she?"

"Not here," Kai said.

"What's up with the flowers? I thought I warned you yesterday," Soohyun said with his arms cross together.

He held up the bouquet. "Oh, this? I just thought she'd like some flowers. Am I wrong?"

"Yes. Very, very wrong," Kai said. "She hates them. Do you know what she did the last time she received flowers from a boy? She burned them." Now it was Soohyun's turn to look at the younger boy. "She hated them so much that she lit the flowers into ashes. She hates flowers that much." The door suddenly opened and a hand made contact with Kai's head. "What the hell?!" He turned around to see Jisu and his eyes widened. "Noona..."

"Stop saying nonsense!" She pushed the two boys away, making an entrance for Shi Yoon. "For you," he gave her the bouquet. She smiled and thanked him. Then, she whipped her head towards Kai, who looked away. She pushed something into his hands. It was his toothbrush. "Don't think I don't know about you staying here without your mom's permission. She didn't want you here in the first place. So I suggest you go back home." Jisu led Shi Yoon inside and shut the door.

 

"Seriously, it's all your fault," Kai said, sitting against Soohyun's wall. He turned his head and pressed his ear against the wall.

"Me?!" Soohyun yelled, flabbergasted. "What the hell did I do? You were the one who invited me over!"

"Hey, I was helping you get together with Jisu,” he defended.

Soohyun pointed at himself. "Me? With her?" he laughed. "Where did you get that idea?"

"When you asked me if she had a boyfriend or not. And what I just hear? ‘I warned you yesterday’? It sounds like you like her to me," Kai nodded.

"I was just asking!" the other exclaimed.

Kai scoffed. "No one really asks unless they're interested. What did you even warn Shi Yoon hyung about?"

"I just warned him about keeping Jisu out late," Soohyun lied. "It was definitely making you stressed, so I just warned him.”

Kai didn’t believe him but he shrugged it off. He sighed and leaned his ear against Soohyun's wall to hear anything from the other side. "I shouldn't have acted that way towards him. I was helping you, but you weren't even interested! Hyung seems more interested in her than you."

Soohyun lied down on his bed. What was wrong with him? Did he really say all that to Shi Yoon when his ultimate goal was to convince her take his case? What did she have to do with his case? It's obvious she wouldn't take his case anymore. He would have to give up soon if he was going to embarrass himself like this again.


Short chapter. I didn't think it fit well in the last one so I made a new chapter for this.