8

Lingering Past


The news got out to Shi Yoon when she finally decided to charge and answer her phone. He visited her in the hospital with lots of food. He bought any type of food he thought would make her feel better in no time because he missed Jisu sitting beside him at work.

During the time Jisu was in the hospital, Soohyun was having a hard time. He kept asking himself whether or not Jisu personally knew his father. She told him Detective Kim's steering wheel was locked when he crashed the car. It happened to his father, too. His steering wheel was locked and on top of that, his door had been broken open, causing him to tumble out of the car, theoretically.

Soohyun still couldn't believe it though. He could not believe it so he told his secretary to find out for him. He asked the man whether or not locked steering wheels were common in a car crash. "Of course," Secretary Lee answered. "There have been many cases where locked steering wheels in old cars have been a problem."

That new found information lightened him up a bit. It wasn't that he didn't like the fact she knew her father. He was just surprised that Jisu knew his father. His father rarely had time for him. He was always working and Soohyun was always studying. Maybe that was why he didn't cry much. They weren't close.

He had just finished a meeting when he got a text from Jisu's cousin. He informed Soohyun that she had been discharged from the hospital and is working right away. He tried to stop her, but she wouldn't comply. Soohyun immediately walked out of his office. Quickly, he ran out of the building and got into the black car. He drove out of the underground parking, onto the main road. He looked at the time and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. He wondered if he could catch Jisu in the elevator this time. And in order to do that, he had to go past the speed limit.

He shifted his shifting gear and zoomed off. He wasn't too far from the apartment and smiled when he thought he could have made it. But then, he heard the sirens of the police. He looked into his rear view mirror and saw the police car trailing behind him. He cursed and slammed his hand on the wheel. This is no time to be caught by a cop!

Soohyun pulled over and so did the police car behind him. He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel impatiently and he kept looking at the time. He was definitely not going to catch her now. A knock was heard on his black tinted windows. With a sigh, he rolled the window down to see the person he was trying to meet. "Officer Kwon!"

Jisu stared at him, wondering how the driver knew her. Then, it hit her that she had seen this man before. He was the man who bribed her chief and drove her to the hospital when Detective Woo was in the ER.

"You again?" she asked with a roll of her eyes. "Why is it that I always catch you doing something bad?

"What do you mean?" he smirked. "I was the one who got you to the hospital."

She inwardly sighed. She forgot he one was of the people she had to thank. "Fine. For dropping me off at the hospital, I'll look over this. Just don't come back with a briefcase of money." She turned to go but Soohyun stopped her. "You also owe me one more thing."

She gave him a look. "One more thing? I owe you nothing else."

"I helped you twice," he said.

Her brows pinched together. "Twice? You only got me to the hospital."

"Twice," he repeated. "Didn't you hear from Kai? You're my neighbor. I got you to the hospital, twice."

She thought back to when she had to stay in the hospital. She remembered Kai talking about her neighbor she never saw before. "What's your name?”

"I've told you many times before. Kim Soohyun. The successor of SKY universities and the CEO of KSH. Kim. Soohyun."
She remembered now. Her cousin had mentioned the same name. "At least I don't have to thank two people," she mumbled. "Okay, what do you want? Do you want me to stay out of your way? I can do that. You want me to remember your name? I’ll do that."

He frowned. "Why would I want you to stay away?"

"Doesn't everyone want a cop to forget them? Make them seem like they’re invisible? You seem like a person who will get in trouble a lot anyways."

"No, I don't," he clearly stated. "I want you to stay in my way. I want you to continue to stop me for speeding. I want you to continue to remember both my name and my face. Don't ever ignore me. Give me all the speeding tickets you can give me." Jisu was taken back from his request. Why would he want a cop to continue to chase him? "Let me off for today. That’s one. Second, come to a café with me. I would like to talk to you something. I’ll make sure Kai gives you my number." He reached behind to grab a paper bag. He stuck the bag out of the window and into Jisu's arm. Then, without a word, he drove off with Jisu feeling flabbergasted.

She stared at the paper bag in her hand and back to the black car speeding away. When she got back into her car, she looked inside the bag and saw a pair of mittens, a scarf, a winter hat and a shoe box. She took out the shoe box and opened it. There was a pair of the winter boots. Under the pair of socks, there was a note. "I guessed your size. Don't return it. Think of it as a gesture of pity." She scoffed and threw the shoe box into the next seat. She started her engine. "Pity? How dare you pity me? Just when I was about to thank for before, you threw this pity bag at me. Kim Soohyun, I will never forget you!"

When Jisu got home that day, she threw the bag on the floor and kicked it out of the way. She was still angry at him. "Pity? Pity?! I don't need any pity from you! If I had a pity party, you are definitely not invited!"

"You're having a pity party?" Kai said, coming out of the kitchen eating an apple.

She stared at him, confused but then she remembered. Kai was living with her for the time being. Her cousin was worried that something would happen to her again. She didn’t really oppose the idea. "Yeah, I am. And my lovely neighbor is not invited," she said sarcastically.

"Who? The old woman?"

"Never mind!" she walked to her room to change. When she got out, Kai was watching TV in her living room. She walked into the kitchen to grab a glass of water before sitting beside her cousin on the couch. "How was school?"

He shrugged. "Same as usual. Boring, and tiring. We had the gym teacher for homeroom. He made us do jumping jacks until the class was done."

She laughed. "Jumping jacks? You should try the police academy. They made us do pushups for an hour."

"So do you have muscles or not? I need some.” He looked at his biceps and squeezed them.

"I used to, when I started." He backed away with a disgusted face. "Gross! You had muscles? Abs and everything?" She nodded. "So if you want anything on your flimsy arms and flat stomach, do those jumping jacks with a passion."

He shrugged and leaned back on the couch. "For now, I'm the couch potato. Oh!" he straightened up. "I forgot to tell you something. The neighbor who got you to the hospital texted me. He told me to give him your number. I didn't give him yours because you'd just strangle me."

"Wise choice."

"I'll text you the number." He took out his phone but Jisu stopped him. "Don't. I do not want you to mention him anymore."
He blinked. "Why not? He's the one who saved you that day."

"He helped you that day," she corrected. "Not me. He was the one who calmed you down. You were the one who helped me." She looked at the TV as she talked. "I didn't bother to tell anyone because I thought no one cared. You and your mom never visited me once since I've moved here. I was always called over, so I never thought either of you would even notice. But I guess I was wrong. You were the only who noticed." She turned to him and thanked him with a smile. His face suddenly grew bright red out of embarrassment.

He scratched his cheek and his eyes wandered around. He couldn't meet her eyes properly. "It wasn't completely me alone. Hyung - I mean, Officer Yoon was the one who told me to check up on you."

She looked up to the ceiling, pretending to think about it. "You're right. It was Officer Yoon who told you. Come to think about it, he also bought me expensive food. You didn't even get me anything. You only checked on me because you were told to."

"Hey, I was worried too, you know! I would have bought you something but I have no money!"

She playfully rolled her eyes. "Says the boy who bought flowers for the girl he crushes on."

"Noona! I did no such thing!" She laughed and wrapped her arm around his. "I was just playing. Thank you, though. Thanks for being with me."

He pulled his arm out of her grasp and she thought he was mad at her. But he only took his arm out to wrap them around her shoulders to give her a hug. "Can't we be siblings? If we're siblings, then you wouldn't have to worry about being alone anymore. You'll lean on me when you're having a hard time. I think that'll be a good idea."

She leaned back and gave him a sour expression. "Kai, you're crazy."

"What? How? I just wanted to be closer to you!"

She knocked his empty head. "You idiot. We were already siblings, from the day my parents abandoned me. I'm surprised you never thought of me as your sister before this incident. I'm disappointed." She tried to move away but he wouldn't let her go. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Noonim! I love you!"