16

Lingering Past

Jisu came into the office and walked straight up to the chief. "Chief," she called. Chief Lee looked up from his papers. "I want to investigate a case," she requested, getting right to the point.

"A case?" he questioned.

"Yes. The case regarding Detective Yoon which happened on January 19."

He sighed. "I know you're close to him and all but is a reinvestigation necessary? This is a closed case in request of the family! You can't just reinvestigate. It's just a car crash."

"This is nothing like a car crash. It's homicide and I know it. I'm asking you permission because he is also someone who you respect. If I wanted to reinvestigate this, I would have already done that secretly. I have to capability to do this all by myself."

"The family-"

"I will talk to his family. I will ask them, so just give me permission." Chief Lee thought about it. He had heard about the autopsy. He heard his steering wheel got locked in the middle of the road. He thought it was utterly impossible for a new car like his to get its wheel locked. Everyone knew Jisu was the best detective and it was a shame she got demoted. He wanted to send Jisu to investigate the case but he was torn about it. The day Detective Woo came into the office, he had requested something of him. He requested that he take good care of Jisu and not let her get hurt. Of course, he wasn't planning on taking care of her because she was a cop, not a baby. But since Detective Woo died, he took his request as his dying wish. He could not let Jisu investigate the case no matter what.

"I won't allow you." He went back to his papers, as if the situation wasn't a big deal. "Chief Lee!" "Do you understand what I said? I will not allow you to take this case. If you do investigate it on your own time, think of it as your last chance as a police. You will never be able to become a cop or a detective in your life again. It's a warning." He stood up and walked to the back.

Jisu clenched her hands into fists. "Does he not understand what big of a deal this is? I thought he was someone who respected Detective Woo. Who can I even trust around here?"

Someone touched her arm and she looked up to see Shi Yoon. "Let's talk outside. Everyone's looking," he whispered. She looked passed him and caught a couple cops looking away. He led her outside the building, not forgetting to grab both of their jackets. He gave her her jacket and she wore it as they walked down the street.

"Why the sudden request?" Shi Yoon asked.

She sighed, "I've heard about it this morning. Detective Woo's family decided to close the case."

"Wasn't his accident less than two weeks ago?" he questioned.

She nodded. "They know as much as I know that it was not an accident. They're giving up so quickly and I won't stand up for that. They don't know something I know. Once I tell them, they'll reopen the case and I'll be able to get more detectives to help me."

Shi Yoon frowned. "Didn't you hear the chief? He'll fire you if you do anything. You'll lose the opportunity to become a detective again."

She shook her head. She was not going to let this case escape her hands. "I don't care. I'm still young. I can be the politician my dad always wanted me to be. Maybe then our family feud will be over."

Shi Yoon stepped in front of her, making her stop in her tracks. "This is not about being young or reconciling with your father. This is about you. This is about the job you like the most. That's why you've excelled so much isn't it? You're not even thirty and you have become a homicide detective. Me? I've got no chance in becoming a detective with this kind of environment. All the effort you put into your career can't come to an end like this. Don't make the wrong choice."

Jisu knew what he wanted her to do, but this is her life and path. She knew working on a closed case like that would be close to impossible. She had spent ten years on Detective Kim's case and she was not going to let Detective Woo's case go on any further than that. She was going to find out the criminal not matter what.

She grabbed his arm and smiled. "Seriously, I'm glad I've met you Officer Yoon. You're the only one I can trust around here. You've been so nice to me," she laughed," and Kai, too. I know what will happen once I take another step. But how am I supposed to keep growing if I don't take that step? I'll stay as I am: strong with words but weak with actions. I want to be strong with both. I want to grow, oppa."

Panic struck his eyes as he grabbed her shoulders. "No. Officer Kwon, don't call me that. Don't call me oppa. It's Officer Yoon. It's Officer Yoon to you. We're at work. And while we're at work, you'll continue to grow because I will help you. I'll help you grow so you can be promoted as a detective again."

"Do you know why I was demoted in the first place?" She asked. "It's because I killed a person. I killed my witness." His eyes widened. "He was already traumatized. He witnessed a murder and I was crazy. I was going crazy and pestered him to remember what he saw. He would reply, 'I don't remember' and I would yell, 'Why can't you remember? The killer is out there and he's going to kill you, me; everyone.' He hung himself. He hung himself and it was my fault. I was the one who killed him."

"Officer Kwon..."

"I was going to quit the whole profession after that. I was ready to quit, and I'm more than ready now."

 

That afternoon, Jisu went to pick up Kai from school. She knew he was way too old to be picked up but she thought she'd do it anyways. Of course, he didn't know she was going to see him.

The school bell rang and students ran out the school building. Jisu waited by the gate, looking around for any signs of Kai. About ten minutes of waiting, she found a familiar face a half a yard away. He was jumping and fooling with his friends. Jisu was a bit disappointed to see no girls around. When he looked up, he met eyes with his cousin. At first, his face scrunched up in confusion but then he smiled widely, his smile shining brightly like 100 volts. He said goodbye to his friends before running towards her.

"Noona," he breathed out. "What are you doing here?"

She crossed her arms and looked behind him. "Where's your girlfriend?"

His smile dropped like an anchor. "You came to see my girlfriend? You didn't come to see me?"

"Oh, so you do have a girlfriend," she smirked, catching his words.

He blushed. "No, I don't! Geez, stop teasing me will you? You're like mom. Except she's the one who lectures me about having a girlfriend and you lecture me about not having a girlfriend!"

Jisu huffed. "So you don't have one."

"Noona!" he yelled, getting irritated.

"Okay, I'll stop," she laughed. "Come on, let's go get something to eat. Is there somewhere we can eat around here?"

Kai looked at his wristwatch and smiled. "There are places around here, but can we go somewhere I want to eat? I don't want to eat somewhere where my friends are."

"Why? Are you embarrassed of me?" she accused.

"Of course not!" he exclaimed. "You're the coolest girl there is! It's just I want to have you stay away from my friends." She pointed to herself in question and he nodded. "I told my friends you were a cop and ex-detective. They'll start asking weird questions." She glared at him and he shrugged. "Come on, I'm hungry!"

They ended up at a burger joint somewhere near their home. They settled down first, before they ordered. "What do you want?" Jisu asked.

"Let's order later," Kai suggested. "First, tell me why you suddenly came to see me. Aren't you supposed to be at work? Plus, you didn't call today."

She hated it when Kai pointed out everything. He liked to pinpoint everything that seemed off to him. "You trust me right?" she suddenly asked, which caught him off guard.

"Why are you asking me that? You did something wrong today, didn't you? That's why you're off early. Wait...don't tell me you got fired."

She slapped his arm and he winced. "Let me finish before you to suspecting everything! I didn't get fired. I quit."

He was speechless. He never saw that one coming. "You...quit?" She nodded, confirming his question. "But why? Why would you quit? I know you get demoted but you can get promoted again. You know that, right?"

"I know, Kai. I know. A lot of stuff happened and I quit." She knew Kai was waiting for an explanation so she made one up, just to satisfy him. "My chief is the biggest jerk in the world. He verbally harasses me and I couldn't take it anymore. I asked him if I could transfer to another police team but because he was a big jerk, he made me suffer in there. So I quit." She saw the worry in his face and smiled to reassure him. "Everything will be alright. I'll just go study again. My dad wanted me to become a politician so I'll probably become that."

"Noona...you and your dad had never spoken to each other since you were young. What makes you think he'll speak to you again after all these years?" She hated his straightforwardness too but who can blame him? He was right. She'll never reconcile with her father. "Don't worry. I won't be mad. Instead, I'll apply for a part time job. You'll need the money."

She shook her head, disagreeing with him. "There's no need. Just focus on your studies. It's your last year. Focus on school and then you can get a part time job. I'll find another job for the time being. It'll be easy. Plus, I'm sure I can get a spot as a security in a mall or something."

"You need a job?" The two looked up to see Soohyun hovering over the table. Jisu looked at Kai. "You wanted to eat here because of him?" she accused.

"We were going to meet in the first place anyways!" he defended. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen him because of his sprain.”

She shook her head and grabbed her stuff. "I'm going home first." A hand grabbed her arm. "Stay. I'll go instead. It seemed like you two had something important to talk about. I'll talk to you later Kai."

"Wait! Both of you!" The two looked at him. "It's pretty freaking obvious something is going on between the two of you. I'm not talking about the usual cat and mouse game you two play."

Jisu frowned. "What? Cat and mouse? When do I ever act like a cat?"

"I didn't say you were the cat," he said. "But right now, there's something wrong with hyung. He never acts this way when you try to get away."

She shrugged. "That's not my problem." Kai groaned. His cousin was so difficult to talk to. He turned to Soohyun. "Hyung, stay with Jisu noona. I know you two fought, so there's no point in denying it."

"We did not fight!" Jisu exclaimed.

Kai made a face and put his finger to his lips. "Hyung, just sit and talk with this impossible lady." Before Jisu could even say anything, he turned to her and put his finger to his lips and gave her a little glare. "I swear, if you say another word, I will get that part time job. I'll leave school and earn money instead." The look in his eyes told her he was not kidding.

Somehow Kai got the two to sit down at the burger joint with a burger, friends and a drink in front of them. Jisu was eating her burger freely while Soohyun couldn't even though his fries. Unlike her, he was very uncomfortable. "Eat," Jisu said. "Kai did not waste his money on us just so you can sit there and stare at the table. It's his pocket money." She pushed the unwrapped burger towards him and he looked at it. With a silent breath, he picked it up and began to eat it.

They both ate in silence when Soohyun couldn't stand it anymore so he decided to have the courage to speak out. "Look, it was a mistake that day. I didn't mean to make you mad or anything. Let's just forget about everything that happened, okay? Let's just go back to being neighbors and strangers." He stood up and turned to leave.

"Soohyun, sit down," she said without even looking at him. He turned around to look at her. She was staring at his seat to the opposite of her. Her clenched hands and her pursed lips made him do so. He sat down and watched as her eyes flitted to the unfinished burger in front of him. "I quit my job."

His eyes widened. "You quit? Why? I thought you wanted to be-" he stopped and looked around. There were too many people around to be talking about that kind of stuff but she understood his unfinished sentence.

"I wouldn't have been promoted anyways. How can I even think about being promoted when the chief never lets me do a thing?"

"Then what are you going to do? Are you going find another position?"

"I can, but I won't. Not now anyways."

"Why not?"

She finally looked at him. "Because I'm going to help you." Soohyun's lips parted open. He didn't believe what he had just heard so he asked again. He couldn't believe that she was willing to help him when he decided he didn't need it anymore. Why did the think of this sooner? "Don't get too happy. Your lips will rip," she said sarcastically, returning to her burger.

His blank face turned into a wide smile. He let out a goofy laugh before he held on to her wrist in happiness. "Thank you. Thank you so much!"

She yanked her wrist out of his grasp. "It's because I have the time, along with the other case I'm working on. But, I have a request from you."

"What is it?" he asked eagerly. "Just tell me and I'll do it."

"Let me work in your company," she said. His smile faltered and she noticed. "You want me to grab more evidence. This is the only way to find the evidence. What if the person who killed your father works in your company? What if the person decided to stay close to you? We will only figure that out if you let me work in your company."

He scratched his head. "I guess I could let you work. But I can't hire you as a part of the company. Another team is in charge of that."

"Then let me be your bodyguard," she suggested. "That's the only way I can be inside the company. I can't be a secretary or anything because I only know the law. So how about it?"

He chuckled. "Bodyguard, huh? My dad doesn't even have a bodyguard but I guess that'll be okay." He held his hand out. "I guess you're hired." Jisu looked at the hand before grabbing it. "I'll be looking forward to the job."