1

Lingering Past

"Jisu! It's your turn on patrol!" the chief yelled as he slapped his hand on her desk. Jisu closed the folder she was working on and huffed. "There's no need to scream in my ear! I'm right here!"

"Why are you screaming at your superior? Now I know why you got demoted. Your manners are nowhere to be found." He shook his head and went back to his desk. She scoffed loudly, "I've been working in this force longer than you!" The chief pretended not to hear her and continued looking through his piles of paper. "You're only superior by age," she mumbled while wearing her uniform jacket.

When she got up, her coworker stepped in. He shivered and ran in behind the counter where the heat was on full blast. "It's freezing out there!" Yoon Shi Yoon cried. He pulled his leather gloves off and placed his hands in front of the heater in attempt to keep them warm. He turned around to face Jisu with a red, runny nose. "Can you be a darling and pass me a tissue?"

She rolled her eyes and ripped one from the box to give to him. "'Darling'? I like it when you talk to those rascals that come in once in a while." She held out the tissue and he blew into it loudly.

"Why? I thought you like how I speak to you."

"Who told you that?" she gawked in disbelief. "I hate it."

He spread his arms out and shrugged. "Hey, hate is the new love!" he laughed at his own joke and she rolled her eyes. "I'm going on patrol," she announced. "Isn't the chief supposed to do it today?" he asked.

She put her gloves on while she answered, "Well, he's just being an like always."

"He just wants to pick on the newbie," he cackled. "Hey, I've worked in this force longer than he has." "You've only been in this department for a month. He's just picking on you as the detective who got demoted because of her attitude." She gave him a look. "I'm beginning to think this attitude I have is because of you and him. I swear I was never this short tempered when I was a detective."

Shi Yoon shrugged and took off his scarf. "If you're going out there, at least wear more layers." He wrapped his scarf around her neck and she let him. Although she only knew him for a month, she knew his personality well. He liked to take care of her as a little sister he never had. She was told that he always wanted a younger sibling but he always had to work with older officers so Jisu let him spoil her, although he was only a year older.

"Also..." He placed his gloves on Jisu's already gloved hands and she started complaining. "Hey! I can't drive with these oversized hands! And what about this scarf? I'm not going to be taken seriously in this. Plus, I'm going to be in the car most of the time."

He tsked and continued to put on the other glove. "It takes seven steps to get to the car. Those seven steps will give you a frostbite. Also, you're going to find a lot of people speeding today. Everyone wants to get out of the cold." He stepped back and took a look at her before he burst into laughter. "You look like a sumo wrestler!"

She socked him in the arm and he flinched before he smiled. "That didn't hurt!" She kicked him in the shin and he held into it, hopping on one foot. "I'll be back," she said and left the building. It was the coldest day of the year. It wasn't snowing, but it was the wind chill that had everyone bundled up in blankets at home.

Jisu got into the car and took off her gloves and scarf. She inserted the keys into the slot and drove away. She drove onto the main road and held out her radar gun at certain cars she thought were going fast. She trailed them but she didn't bother pulling them over because they weren't being dangerous. She would just have to take a look at the blackbox on the car. Those drivers would just have to get their ticket through the mail.

After wasting gas by going around different main roads in her division for an hour, she decided to turn back around. Everyone seemed to be going at a constant speed. She didn't know what Shi Yoon was talking about. She had only found at least six cars in that hour. Sometimes, there would be at least ten or so cars on a regular day.

When she was about to turn, a car sped right past her. Without the machine she could tell he was speeding. She laughed in amusement at how the driver could speed right past a police car. Jisu the sirens and chased after the black car. She looked at her spedometer and noticed she had been going more than 90km/h on the main road. It wasn't even the highway she was on and the limit on the road was 50km/h! When the car turned, she shot it with the radar gun and her eyes widened. He went 60km/h when he turned! It was nearly impossible to turn like that at such a speed! She had to stop down to 40km/h to turn and continued her pursuit.

Eventually, she caught up to the car and it slowed down once the driver noticed the police car tailing him. Jisu huffed and parked the car. She had to drive more than 100km/h to catch up to the car on the main road. First, she wrote down the license plate number and type of car with its details in the ticket she was going to give him. Then, she inputted the same information on the system. She raised her brow when she saw his record. It had only been an hour since he got a ticket. She wrapped the extra scarf around her neck, covering her face. Next, she put on the over-sized gloves on one hand, leaving the other to hold her pen. She got out of the car and approached the other. She knocked on the black tinted window twice before it rolled down, only for her to see his sunglasses.

"Lower, please," she said. The driver rolled down the window lower but only by an inch. "All the way down."

"It's cold," the man stated. "If I roll down the window any lower, I'll get frostbite."

Jisu rolled her eyes. She could tell this man had been pampered since birth. "That's why you don't speed away from a police car." She ignored the window and continued. She wanted to get out of the freezing cold weather. "Your license." He dug into his wallet and handed her his driver's license. She wrote down the information and handed it back.

"How long have you been driving?" She asked. "The license had been issued only last month."

"It's been a month since I started driving," he answered. "I had a driver before but I thought it would be better if I had a car myself."

Jisu nodded, not really interested and continued writing. She finished after stabbing her pen on the pad. She ripped out two of the tickets and slipped it inside his window. He took it and frowned, "Why do I have two tickets?"

"One for speeding, the other for not cooperating with the police."

"You can't do that!" he exclaimed.

"According to the law, I can. So next time, I suggest you not piss a cop off."

He scoffed. "All officers are the same." "If you want your speeding ticket off your record, go to a driving school. I doubt you really had any real lessons, considering you have received three tickets in a day." Before she could leave, he yelled, "Do you know who I am?"

Jisu frowned. "Is that an important question right now?" It was obviously not to her because all she could care less about is this rude man. He stared at her through his sunglasses and Jisu rolled her eyes and decided to enlighten him. She looked at the pad in her hand and answered, "Your name is Kim Soohyun. Is there anything special about you?"

He gawked in disbelief. The policewoman didn't know who Kim Soohyun was? "Oh, I know. There's no picture is there? There are many people with the same name as me." He took of his glasses and looked at her. "Recognize me?" She didn't say anything. "I'm Kim Soohyun!" He exclaimed. "The heir of Seoul, Korea and Yonsei universities. And should I mention I am the CEO of KSH?"

"Look, I don't care if you're an heir or a fellow cop. You sped on the streets and that's against the law."

He scoffed and laughed out loud with his head thrown back. "Your name, officer?"

"Officer Kwon Jisu, of your local police department."

"Where is that?" he asked,

"Why don't you take a look at your three tickets? I'm sure the answer is on all of those." With that, she went back to her car and drove back to the station. When she got back, she heard yelling in the building. Shi Yoon was scolding three teenagers, two with bruised faces. "You really think I can let you go like this?"

"Come on, officer!" one boy pleaded. "We were just having a friendly brawl."

"What kind of friendly brawl leaves the other with bruises and cuts on the face?" he yelled. "I've already gave you plenty of warnings. I've skipped out on calling your parents many times. This time, I'm going to charge you."

"Hyung!"

"It's officer to you! Sit back while I call your parents." He picked up the phone and called their parents. Jisu coughed in her fist to get their attention. The three boys turned around but quickly turned back around. She knew the two boys with cuts and bruises but she furrowed her brows when she saw the face of the third person. "Kai, what the hell are you doing here?" The boy lowered his head, refusing to say anything.

She walked up to them and hit Kai on the back. He yelled on pain and turned to face her. "Answer me." He messed up his hair, a habit he does when he's frustrated but he still didn't answer. "Do you hear me? Answer me!"

"I was the one who reported them, okay? You know how rotten our building is. I could hear them inside my apartment and mom was sleeping."

"Then why are you so frustrated?"

"Because, it's going on my record," he glumly answered.

Jisu rolled her eyes before looking at the others. "Hey, you two. What did I tell you before?"

The boy with the brown-dyed hair answered, "You told us to play nice."

She poked the side of his forehead and he winced. "Do you think this is playing nice? I told you, if you wanted to fight each other, don't hit the face!"

"How are we supposed to play nice? This guy started it. He-"

"I don't want to hear your excuse, Changmin. You cannot fight over a freaking soccer ball!"

"It wasn't a soccer ball this time," Shi Yoon said after he placed the phone back on the receiver. "It was a basketball. They've also disrupted the neighborhood, like this boy reported."

"Why would you play basketball in a weather like this? If your parents don't beat you, I'll do it instead," Jisu said.

"Noona!" Changmin whined.

"It's officer to you!" she snapped.

Shi Yoon came out of nowhere and knocked Changmin's head. "This is her workplace. Don't disrupt her and call her what you want. In here, she's Officer Kwon. Officer. Kwon."

"Fine..."

Shi Yoon tsked and Changmin sighed. "Yes, officer." The friend beside him snickered. "Yah, you're not off the hook either, Junho. You're worse than Changmin."

"Hyung!"

"What did Officer Kwon and I say? You are to call me by...?"

"Officer Yoon," he sighed.

After their parents picked the two trouble makers up and assuring Kai nothing will be in his record, Shi Yoon and Jisu were back to their reports. She stopped at one name she remembered. "Yoon," she called and he hummed in response, still concentrating on his report. "Do you know a man by the name of Kim Soohyun?"

He stopped typing and paused for a couple of seconds to find that name in his brain. "Isn't he the CEO of KSH, the broadcasting company?"

"He said he is the heir of the SKY universities. I gave him two tickets today. He said an officer earlier gave him one. Was that you?"

"Wait." He turned his body towards her. "You gave him two tickets and you're putting it on his record?" She nodded and he quickly ran over to her. He pushed her out of the way and quickly meddled with her computer.

"Hey!" she pushed him out of the way and he stumbled back. "What was that for?" she yelled.

"Whether he's the heir of the SKY universities or the boss of of the biggest broadcasting company in South Korea, you do not write write this down in his records. He's the most powerful man in the entertainment world and I'm sure he's well respected by thousands of students."

She frowned. "So what? It's not like he's the law."

"He is the law," Shi Yoon stressed. "He has loads of money. He can get past the law if he wanted to."

She scoffed. "What? That's a load of-"

"I know, but we can't do anything about it. If we report to the ones above us, Kim Soohyun will just bribe them. He probably has the power to make us lose our jobs. We won't get anywhere. Just let him pay the fines. Don't record those on his records. The chief will make you delete it anyways." Shi Yoon sat back down but he still kept an uneasy eye on Jisu when she scoffed and laughed. She thought it was ridiculous. The police were police because their job is to protect and keep citizens safe. If Kim Soohyun did not get the punishment he deserves, he will never be a safe citizen. She was about to ignore Shi Yoon and type in his record, when he himself walked in with someone holding the door out for him.

Shi Yoon and Jisu stood up. "How may we help you?" she asked the two men. Soohyun smirked and waved hand to his secretary. The secretary walked over and placed three tickets down on the desk. "We need to pay these speeding tickets. And also," the secretary placed a metal briefcase on the desk and opened it, revealing stacks of cash. "We would like his speeding tickets off the record."

Shi Yoon gawked at the briefcase full of money. He never saw so much cash before however, Jisu did. There was one thing she absolutely despised and that was bribing. In her years of being a detective, she had come across many briefcases. There were briefcases of money, bars of gold, drugs and even bombs. Metal briefcases was her most hated object.

"I am not taking your bribe to get your record clean," she told Soohyun. "I'm also surprised you would bribe a cop out in the open. There are security cameras here."

Soohyun smirked. "Who said I'm giving this to you?"

Just then, the chief came out from the back with a wide smile. "Kim Soohyun! It's nice to meet you!" He held out a hand and Soohyun accepted it. "Same here," he smiled. The chief also shook hands with the secretary. "Let's talk in the back shall we?"

Jisu scoffed. "Chief," she called sternly. "What are you doing?"

He gave her a cold look. "Mind your own business, Officer Kwon."

"This is my business!" she argued. "I gave this man a speeding ticket and he's here to settle this."

"Well, I'm taking care of it now. Officer Yoon, delete whatever she typed on the system and shred Kim Soohyun's papers in the shredder," he ordered. Shi Yoon's eyes widened. "Pardon me?" he stuttered.

"Chief, you can't do that! You can't accept his bribe and go against the law! For God's sake, you're a policeman!" Jisu exclaimed, her face fuming red.

"Then what about you?" the cheif challenged. "You were a detective. You went against your orders and I'm not allowed to?"

"Chief, this is the law we're talking about. You can get put in jail if I were to report you. You're accepting his bribe in the open."

"I turned off the security cameras. If you care so much about the law, become a prosecutor! Quit your job as a cop!" Before Jisu could even say another word, Shi Yoon covered with his palm. "Jisu loves being a cop very much, chief. I'll erase everything about Kim Soohyun, don't you worry." Jisu struggled out of his hold but he pressed harder and smiled at the three men.

The chief cleared his throat and led the two to the back of the building. Soohyun took a step and stopped to look at Jisu. Even with covered by Shi Yoon, she gave him a hateful glare and he only smirked. With that, he walked to the back.

Jisu bit Shi Yoon's hand and he yelled, letting go of . "What the hell was that?" she yelled at him. "I was going to give him a piece of my mind!"

"If I didn't do that, you would have been fired!"

"That would have been great! I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of quitting myself."

Shi Yoon sighed. "Don't be so difficult. You already know how corrupt most officers are. Why are you being so angry?"

Jisu sat back down on her seat. She usually never got worked up on situations like these. She always saw bribery when she first started her job as a cop, before she was a detective. She had even seen it during her detective days. There would always be some cases where the whole case was dropped because one of the supervising detectives were bribed to not continue on with the investigation. She was worked up because of that briefcase. No one had straightforwardly done a bribery in front of her before. Bribes were so secretive but that man laid the open briefcase in front of her. It made her wonder if other cops and detectives were also given metal briefcases. She hated those the most.

Jisu ignored him and stood back up to put on her jacket that she hung on the back of her seat. "Where are you going?" Shi Yoon asked. "Patrol." "Again?" he complained. "You've already done one." "I want to catch stupid speeders. I want to give them all tickets."

Shi Yoon grabbed the car keys and hid them behind his back. "The other officers are not back from their investigation yet, so there is only one car. I'm not giving you these keys."

She held out her hand and said with a stern look, "Give me back those keys."

He shook his head. "You're not going to get them. Ever. So if you want to cool yourself down, take a walk."

She huffed and pulled up her zipper. She pulled on her gloves and left the building. She didn't know how long she walked around the small building. She stayed outside until she couldn't feel her face and legs anymore. When Jisu walked around to the front again, the two men were about to leave. She stopped and gave them hateful glares. The chief noticed her and the smile completely slipped off his face. He gave the two men a smile before he rushed inside.

Soohyun turned and met eyes with Jisu through his sunglasses. She ignored him and continued walking around the building. Before she could turn the corner, Soohyun held her back by the shoulder. "Are you that mad?" he asked and Jisu couldn't help but laugh at his stupid question.

"Mad? You think I'm mad? No, of course not!" He raised his brow at how sarcastic she was. "I'm amazingly pissed off that I could spit out fire. You think I'm mad? No! I'm more than mad!"

"Good," Soohyun said and it only made her even madder. "We're never going to see each other again, so let's hope I'm the only one who makes you feel like that."

She sarcastically smiled and he left. "Idiot, what makes you think you're so special? You're not the only one who has made me mad, you know! You're just one of them! Don't let me see you here anymore, you stupid fool!"