08

Unravelled

The scraping of chairs and whooping can be heard throughout the hall. It is the last day of exams and everyone is excited and relieved. You are grabbing your bag when someone swoops you up by the waist.

"It's over!!!!!!" Jongin yells as he sways you side to side.

You clutch onto his shoulder just in case he drops you. But you're screaming, "Kim Jongin! Put me down!!!"

The other students are gaping at your interaction. They are still not used to the sight of the boys hanging out with you. Jongin laughs cutely and does as he is told. Not a second has passed and Sehun is hugging you from the back. His chin is on your shoulder.

"I'm so happy!" He squeals, hugging you tighter.

"Oh my gosh," you groan, rolling your eyes. "You guys need to stop touching me!"

They laugh. Sehun lets you go and you begin packing your bag again. Jongin grabs your bag after you zip it up and carries it for you. You guys walk down the stairs and towards the school gate.

"Let's eat with the others!" He proposes.

"Exactly what we were thinking!"

Three of you turn your heads to see Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun by the stairs, leaning against the railings comfortably

"Hyung!" Sehun and Jongin beam widely.

The three older boys stride towards your little group and reunite. The guys exchange fist pumps while the older ones congratulate the younger two. When they are done, they turn to you with devilish looks on their faces.

"...What?" You gulp as you start backing away.

"A congratulatory hug!" Chanyeol yells and the three of them charge at you to envelop you in a group hug.

"I swear, Park Chanyeol!!!!!" You shriek when they have you in their embrace. "Stop jumping on me every time you see me!"

"You wish I'd do that," he winks when they let you go.

You pinch his arm repeatedly and he hides behind Baekhyun. You glare at the taller boy until he withers under your gaze. Jongdae steers you away with his arm around your shoulders.

"When's graduation?" He asks you as he lets his arm fall from your shoulders. You notice that he is now carrying your bag.

"Let me carry—"

"No," he stops your outstretched arms. "I'll hold it," he smiles kindly. "So? When is it?"

"Monday... Which is in four days," you inform him.

"We'll be there!" Jongdae chirps. "And when are your results coming out?"

"In two months."

"You're coming to Seoul U, right?" He nudges you.

Baekhyun comes over, "Yeah, you're coming to Seoul U, right?" Hearing no response from you, he urges, "Right?"

You shrug, "I don't really wanna be in the same university as you are."

"Rude," Baekhyun crinkles his nose.

"I'm sure she's kidding," Jongdae tries to convince Baekhyun.

"I wish she is," Baekhyun says the moment you state, "I'm not."

"O...kay?" Jongdae gives the both of you a look.

"Jonginnie says he wants to cook for us," Chanyeol pipes up from behind.

You make a face, "Are you sure?"

"Yah!" Jongin whines. "You ate my cooking before, didn't you?!"

You grin, "I know."

So, all of you make your way to Jongin's place. You are much more interactive now that you are comfortable with them. Even though your seat mate and you have been stuck together for a year, the both of you just couldn't click because of your personalities.

But you realise that with the boys, they make you feel comfortable in your own skin. They may be annoying but they make you laugh. Without even trying, you have already let Jongdae and Chanyeol into where the other three boys were.

Which also means that even though they're touchy with you, you don't really mind them that much. But you do like yelling at them for touching you because seeing them being dominated by a girl is your current hobby.

Setting down your bags in Jongin's place, Sehun and Jongin immediately change out of their uniform. The boys stay over at each other's houses often so it is no surprise that Sehun has his clothes in Jongin's house.

However, you don't have anything to change into. Jongin drags you into his room and searches for the biggest shirt he owns.

You cross your arms, "I'm not that fat!"

He chuckles and ruffles your hair, "I know, cupcake. This is just so you don't have to wear my ugly basketball shorts."

You hum and he grins at you before continuing his search. He finds an XL shirt and throws it to your face, making you groan. Jongin merely laughs and leaves you in his room to change.

You have shorts under your skirt but they are only for staying home. So you are grateful when Jongin's shirt manages to reach a few centimeters before your knees.

Leaving the room, you tie up your hair, making the guys shriek. The shirt is lifted when your arms are up. You roll your eyes. They are screaming but none of them shifts their eyes away from you.

"I'm wearing shorts underneath, morons," you finish tying a messy bun and lift the shirt to show them. You hear their breaths hitch. "Besides, it wouldn't have shown anything, it's too big."

"It's cold outside, buttercup. You sure you wanna strut down those streets like that?" Baekhyun eyes your attire. "Jongin-ah, get her a cardigan or something, will you?"

Immediately, the boy runs into his room while all of you wear your shoes. Jongin comes back with a thick brown hoodie. Even that is big for you, it actually covers you down to your .

You smell like Jongin now and you feel giddy. Every time the two Chinese boys give your their jackets to wear, you feel light-headed too. You're not sure why but you like smelling like someone else that is close to you.

It's probably because you know that someone cares for you. And having their scent wrapping around you makes you feel safe and adored. It wouldn't be a surprise if you become a lot closer to Jongin after this. Just like for Tao and Luhan, the latter had given you his scarf earlier than when you wore Tao's jacket. You pretty much stuck by Luhan more during that period of time.

"Let's go!" Chanyeol pumps his fist into the air and leads all of you out of the house.

"What shall we cook?" Jongdae asks.

"We?" You narrow your eyes. "I thought Jongin is cooking."

"Do you really want me to cook everything?" The said boy raises an eyebrow.

You think about it and shake your head innocently. He throws an arm around your neck and catches you in a head lock. The both of you are laughing even though Jongin can be seen using his strength.

"You're too rough!" Jongdae smacks the younger boy's arm.

"She's really tough," Sehun answers for Jongin, who is still laughing and shaking his head.

Jongin tightens his headlock as if to prove it to Jongdae. You elbow his stomach but he isn't affected because of the thick jacket you are wearing. The others are watching the two of you while waiting for the lift.

"Let me go now," you whine when the lift arrives. But when does Jongin really listens to you? You sigh when you have to use your last card. "Oppa—"

At once, Jongin lets you go. His eyes are wide when he turns you to face him. You roll your eyes when you see the others with the same face look on their face.

"Did you just—"

"It was just so you would let go," you mumble, smoothing out your clothes. You don't really like the attention on you now. "And you did."

"Call me 'oppa' too!" Everyone else shouts whereas Baekhyun merely laughs. He can only do so because you already call him that.

"Come here, doll. Before you get eaten alive," Baekhyun pulls you towards him and away from the piranhas.

The both of you are walking really close but it is okay. Chanyeol runs up to you, pouting. Followed by Jongdae.

"We're older than you by a year!" They cry.

You glance at Baekhyun and he tilts his head upwards, giving you a wink. You grin, knowing exactly what he means.

Even though you have gotten used to the fact that Baekhyun and you are able to understand each other easily without words, it never fails to throw you off balance. It's like you're an open book to him when no one knows you at all. And it seems like it's the same for him as well.

The whining of the other boys reminds you that there are idiots still around you. You glue yourself to Baekhyun's side, just in case.

"Chanyeol oppa, Jongdae oppa, please stop whining," you have to bite back your grin.

At once, Baekhyun pulls you roughly towards him, shielding you with his back. The both of you knew this would happen. The boys were ready to charge at you for a hug.

"Baekhyun-ah!" Chanyeol pinches the boy's ear.

Since Baekhyun and you are so close, the closest you have ever gotten, you see how he grins at you with his eyes sparkling so beautifully. Unconsciously, you grin back as you feel a warm, prickling feeling spread over your chest and down to the rest of your body.

Baekhyun has his hand at the back of your head when he presses you closer to his body. Your face is now in his chest.

"Stop being cannibals, you s," he yells, laughing.

You can feel the vibrations of his words through his chest. You breathe in his scent and you feel yourself swooning again. But this time, you feel relaxed as you melt into his body. You feel limp, but comfortable.

Luhan and Tao have hugged you before but it wasn't like this. This? This is different. It's like you're trusting him so much that you don't mind being a blob of useless limbs.

That's when you realise that you are almost letting all your hard work at building those walls go to waste. If you didn't let the two Chinese guys in that easily, why would you let Baekhyun?

As much as you hate admitting it, you really want to slap yourself now that you're once again closing off from Baekhyun. There is a twinge in your heart and a knot in your stomach but you effectively ignore it. You shrug out of his embrace. You can feel his shocked yet hurt expression but you don't want to look at him for now. At least not while you are still raw.

"Cupcake," Chanyeol hugs you from behind as he starts walking awkwardly from behind you so that you are all moving forward again. "You know we don't mean to be rough with you..."

"Yeah," Sehun nods and pouts cutely. "We're sowwy."

"Sowwy?" You narrow your eyes at him. You sigh in defeat, "Sehun-ah, you—"

"Are a boy and boys don't do aegyo," Sehun finishes for you in a bored tone. He narrows his eyes on you this time, "And I'm your oppa, what 'Sehun-ah'..."

You give him an abashed smile. In the mean time, Chanyeol is torn away from you. Jongin has his arm around your shoulders now. Baekhyun is walking with Sehun in front of the group, leading the way to the Supermarket.

"Let's cook army stew!" Jongin suggests happily to the rest of the group. He looks at you with a fond expression that you don't see when he talks to other girls who are trying to flirt with him, "Okay?"

You whisper an 'okay'. He grins boyishly, looking up ahead again. Sehun wants spicy rice cakes too. And Chanyeol wants Samgyeopsal.

Since there are six of you, you are split into three groups of twos. One group will shop for each dish. At the entrance of the market, the six of you play Black & White to settle the pairings.

In the end, Sehun and Jongdae are taking care of the rice cakes, Jongin and Chanyeol are in charge of the army stew, leaving you with Baekhyun to get ingredients for Samgyeopsal.

"We need pork," you mumble, walking off towards the poultry section before Baekhyun.

He catches up in no time and the both of you choose the best quality pork. The both of you bicker regarding the best one out of all. He wins, of course. Because who personally cooks and who has maids to cook for her?

"Have you thought of a university to apply to already?" Baekhyun asks when you guys start walking towards the vegetables section. 

"Seoul Uni," you murmur.

"Didn't you say you don't wanna attend Seoul U?" He makes a farting noise with his mouth, "Bet you can't get enough of me."

"I'm not going to not apply to my dream uni because of you," you scoff at the boy and he laughs.

"Yeah, you'll be seeing your favourite boy a lot then," he chirps.

You groan because ew, who gave him the right to claim himself as your favourite boy? He headlocks you. The idiot bites the top of your head and you shriek. It hurts! The boy merely laughs at your reaction, taking your hand that is covered by your huge jacket sleeve. He brings you to the lettuce.

"You pick," Baekhyun uses the hand that is holding yours to point to the lettuce heads. He then drops your hand.

You examine each one carefully and it actually took you 12 minutes to choose one. In the end, Baekhyun is laughing at you and shaking his head.

"See, love," he moves closer to you so that his chest is against your back. "You don't just pick the biggest one. Pick the greenest one that has intact leaves. For example, I don't want a girl with big 'assets' but with no brain."

He laughs softly when he sees you rolling your eyes at his last sentence. You are watching him as he turns back to the lettuce and starts picking the right one. Then, he looks down at you. Your breath stops when you look into his shining eyes.

"Got it, sweetheart?" His lips break into a beautiful grin.

You nod dumbly and he flashes you a thousand watt smile. He steps back, putting the lettuce into the basket. The boy pulls your elbow, sliding his hand down your arm until he reaches your hand. He grasps it with his and gently pulls you towards him.

"Why don't you call me 'cupcake' like the others?" You ask before you can stop yourself. "You actually give me a lot of pet names," you point out. You've gone too far to stop, so why not just ask him everything that's been bugging you?

Baekhyun looks at you, "I do call you 'cupcake'."

"You call me a lot of other things too, though," you murmur when he turns into an aisle to get some sauces.

He hums, letting go of your hand to choose a good brand. You are still waiting patiently for him to reply you and you know that he would answer you. This is what you meant when you said that Baekhyun is like an open book to you.

You just know.

Just then, Baekhyun speaks up, "Which one do you like?"

You scan the bottles of sauces in front of Baekhyun and immediately recognise one of it because you use it at home. You point to that.

His laughter sounds like a baby gurgling and you adore it. The boy nods in approval, "Finally, a right one." He earns a pinch at his stomach and he chuckles. "I'm not talking about that though." He sees you tilt your head in question and he asks again, "Which pet name do you like the most?"

Your mouth forms an 'O'. So that is what he was referring to. Baekhyun gently shuts your mouth for you. He puts the sauces he chose into the basket and holds your hand again to bring you away.

"We forgot garlic," he mumbles to himself and leads you back to the vegetables section.

"They're all very..." You try to find a word for it. "Intimate."

"And so I assume you don't like any?"

"I can't choose my favourite," you admit shyly.

He gives you a flashing smile, "I like all too, I gave you so many so you can choose your favourite and then I'll just stick to it. But I think my favourite would be... Kitten." You raise an eyebrow, waiting for him to explain, "Because you look so tough on the outside but you're actually soft and adorable on the inside."

"I'm not soft!" You defend yourself, pulling your hand away from his roughly and crossing your arms.

He chuckles lightly, wrapping an arm around your shoulders. He brings you closer to him, about to say something. Just then, Jongin and Chanyeol appears from nowhere and they start snapping at Baekhyun and you.

"Why do you guys look like you're on a date?!" Jongin.

"Are you two hiding something from us?!" Chanyeol.

"By the way, did you get everything?" Jongin is distracted this easily, see?

"Not yet," Baekhyun quickly interjects, in case they shoot more questions in your direction. His arm is still around your shoulders as he elaborates, "We still need garlic."

"What are you doing here?" You ask them.

"We came here to get onions and other vegetables you put into an army stew," Jongin shrugs.

You narrow your eyes at him, "Do you even know what's inside an army stew?"

He blows a raspberry, "Of course."

"Guys, I think we should order pizza just in case..." You suggest, not even kidding. Because you are sure that this boy has no idea what he is doing.

Before Jongin lunges for you, Baekhyun shoos them off to get whatever they were looking for so that all of you wouldn't be wasting time. He focuses on the garlics in front of him now.

"Look here, peach," he scolds you when he sees your attention elsewhere. You snap your attention to him at once. "You want to pick the firmest, cleanest and biggest bulb. And their dry skins... This one, see? Yes, they shouldn't be broken. Got it, champ?" You nod, earning a smile from him. "Great, now you choose."

Just to choose one bulb, it took you six minutes. But at least this time, you get it right. Baekhyun gives you an approving nod and you beam at him. Your smile is contagious as his lips break into a grin too.

He flicks your nose. "See, so adorable. You make me wanna protect you."

"I'm totally capable of doing that," you scoff. Besides, you have been the one taking care of yourself all these years! "I'm not weak," you mumble.

"Darling, everyone can see that you're a tough chick," he starts moving the both of you to search for the others with his arm still around you. "But I know you need someone to take care of you. You can tell yourself that you don't need anyone because you're independent and self-sufficient. And I agree with that, cupcake. But if you're going to close yourself off to everyone because you think you're better off like that than getting hurt, you're going to suffer.

"I don't know what made you like this, but I'm sorry. You have no idea how much I want to—"

"Hyung!" Sehun runs towards you and Baekhyun, interrupting one of the most important, most heartwarming moment of your life.