02

Unravelled

Going to school on Mondays always manages to make you crankier than you already are. Glaring at anyone who crosses your path, you walk into the school gates. Only to have a really tall, really chirpy boy greeting you.

Everyone in school knows not to greet you. Especially on a Monday. They have seen how you're extra cold on this day of the week and also how your aura has dimmed to the blackest of black.

"Hey!!!" Chanyeol beams, waving his hand frantically in front of you.

The other students turn to look at the two of you, wondering when and how the hell you guys had became acquaintances. Even though you are one of the most respected, alongside the popular boys and girls, they know that you and the popular boys never mix.

"I thought we wouldn't see each other again but here we are!" The boy chuckles at his own statement. "To be honest, I'm glad that we met first thing in the morning!"

"Makes one of us," you grumble, totally annoyed with how he never seem to stop speaking.

Honestly, you never thought you would interact with them ever again after that dinner. Sure, you guys are acquaintances, but that doesn't mean that you have accepted them well enough. They can try but you are always picky when it comes to accepting people. Luhan and Tao are only two out of the entire neighbourhood whom you have taken in as friends. Other girls and boys had approached you but you shut them off easily.

Having reached the hallways, you would have thought Chanyeol had ran out of topics to talk about so early in the morning. But he proves you wrong by his contantly moving lips and hand gestures. On the way to your class, you are blatantly ignoring Chanyeol while the other boys have caught up with you guys.

"I don't think she's listening to you, hyung," Jongin points out.

When you have reached your class, you don't wave to them. Instead, you give them a look of acknowledgement and leave. No way is it going to be that easy for them to get to you.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

Dinner today? Tao and I will pick you up from school.
Luhan || 12:04 PM

You don't take the time to contemplate as you type your reply.

I'm NOT sitting in one of your Jaguars though.
Sent || 12:09 PM

Mercedez? XD
Luhan || 12:09 PM

Don't you have a lower-end car, you rich Chinese?
Sent || 12:11 PM

Yeah, a bicycle.
Luhan || 12:11 PM

You ignore the stupid guy for the rest of the day. When the bell rings, signalling lunch time, Sehun comes up to you. Your seatmate shows shock on her face. She knows about him and his partner fawning over you but she would never have thought that one of them would actually talk to you. She glances at you, who had just checked your spam messages from Luhan before placing your phone on the table.

"Let's have lunch together," Sehun invites you shyly.

Your seatmate scoffs, slightly chuckling, "She never eats with anyone."

You nod, confirming your friend's statement. But Sehun isn't going to tolerate being turned down. "But we're friends! Friends eat together." He smiles like he is proud of what he had said.

Your partner smiles sadly at the innocent boy, "Sehun-ah, our girl here don't make friends easily."

"We're not friends," you shake your head, gesturing in between you and him. "We had dinner and that's all. We're not friends."

"Did you just reject our maknae?!" Chanyeol screams from the door, rushing towards you.

The whole lot of them entered and make their way to you and Sehun. The other students gape at the boys in the class. Especially when they are from the popular group. The girls are whispering and gushing over them.

"So, what was it about us not being friends?" Baekhyun questions amusingly, sitting on your table lightly.

You almost roll your eyes but catch yourself in time. You sigh, crossing your arms. It is overwhelming to have five handsome guys—especially when some are seniors—hovering over you. But you are unfazed, on the other hand, your friend has to excuse herself. Seeing the empty seat beside you, Jongin plops onto it.

They are practically pressurising you into eating with them. But you don't see what the big deal is. You are not friends with the five of them. You are one girl out of the five guys. You hardly even know them.

"Excuse me, woman," Jongin rests his arm on the desk in front of him, his chin propped up with his hand. In the mean time, Baekhyun leaves the group for a short while but none of you pay him much attention. "I'm hungry. And you don't want to see a hungry Kim Jongin."

Jongdae shakes his head solemnly, sticking his thumb out in the direction of Jongin, "Yeah, you wouldn't want to."

You huff, "Just leave, you know I'm not going to eat with you guys."

"A second time won't hurt," Chanyeol whines, unlike his manly physique.

"No," you point a stern finger at the male.

As much as you want to try to avoid them, Chanyeol seems to cling onto you. And in all honesty, he might have grown on you. Even at least a tad. Baekhyun rejoins the group, eyebrows slightly furrowed. He sits on your table again, his hand on top of it. In the mean time, you realise that he has his hand on top of your phone accidentally.

You snatch your phone at once while he looks to the others, "It's fine, I don't want us to scare her... Let's go." 

With that, he shepherds the others away from you. The others groan in defeat while Chanyeol turns to narrow his eyes at you. You ignore him again, looking away.

After lunch, your seatmate comes back, extremely quiet. Something is off about her but you don't bother. If you don't like people prying into your business, why should you mind theirs? Thus, for the rest of the day, you mind your own business until it is time to go home. Knowing that Luhan and Tao are outside, waiting for you, makes you slightly happy because you missed them.

They are your closest friends, even if they are no where close to what other girls define close friends—or even good friends, for that matter. They might be annoying but you tolerate them because they had tolerated your coldness before.

Without a goodbye, you leave the classroom in a flurry. You hear someone's voice who sounds suspiciously like Chanyeol's somewhere but you ignore it. The moment the school gates are in view, you see Tao and Luhan standing there, talking to each other.

Walking straight towards them, they stop their conversation to turn their attention to you. They are smiling affectionately at you, which makes you want to squirm but you don't. You know people are watching, too.

"Hey there, pumpkin," Luhan grins at you while you make a face.

"How's school?" Tao asks, almost as if rubbing the fact that he isn't in High School anymore in your face.

"Stupid Chi—" Your growling was interrupted by someone calling you from behind.

Almost at once, you knew who it is. Luhan seems amused that you have someone who actually talks to you. The two Chinese boys know how closed off you are from everyone. It bothers them since you are a girl but they don't really question it.

"Oh, hyungs!" Jongdae runs towards your little group.

Soon, the other four boys have joined you. You frown, not exactly sure why these boys are trailing you everywhere. And who are they to call Luhan and Tao 'hyungs' when they had only met a few days ago?

"Oh, umm..." Luhan rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.

You turn to Jongdae, slightly smiling from Luhan's stupidity, "He has completely forgotten your name."

The older boy glares at you and you laugh, shrugging. The other boys look like they are pleasantly surprised. You look away from them, shifting closer towards Tao, who offers to take your school bag.

"What do you bring to school?!" He huffs.

You roll your eyes and scold him, "Man up, Chinese."

He flicks your forehead and you pinch him not so lovingly, "Yah, is this any way to treat your oppa?!"

"Ignore them, they're always bickering," Luhan apologises to the group of boys anxiously. "Close your mouth, guys." 

They do and eventually tear their eyes away from you and Tao clawing at each other. Sehun speaks up, glancing at you once in a while, asking how Luhan and Tao met you.

"I told you we are neighbours," you almost snap at him.

Really, can't he remember anything I say?!

"No, what he means is," Jongin decides to help the maknae. "How are the three of you so close? Since you don't even want to have lunch with us."

Luhan glares at you as if chastising you about declining an offer to lunch together. You blow a raspberry at him and turn away. You talk to Tao instead, asking him where dinner is going to be at.

He shrugs, "I have a feeling we might have company."

The both of you turn to see Luhan on the phone, ordering for another driver to come. Since you live in a well-off residential area, this meant that your neighbours are more or less of the same status as you. And Luhan here, is really rich. You always for taking part in dirty businesses, which is almost like an inside joke between the three of you.

You groan, leaning against Tao, "Luhan oppa is too nice. Too nice."

"You should learn from him," Tao nudges you. "Even at least a bit."

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

"At least we get to eat dinner with you again," Chanyeol pokes you in the ribs when you are in the car.

Luhan, Sehun, Jongdae and Baekhyun are in the other car while you are stuck with the others. You slap his hand away, scowling at him. He beams at you and you wonder if this boy has a mental problem.

"How old are you, Chanyeol?" Tao asks.

"I'm 21 (Korean age) this year but I'm graduating in a few weeks," the boy nodded.

"He retained a year because Baekhyun, Jongdae and him are stupid," Jongin tells you and you grin at his cheekiness.

He smiles when he sees you smiling. But his smile falters when Chanyeol pinches his arm not so softly.

"We're not stupid! Just... Playful," the older boy pouts.

"But you're graduating earlier than the us," you point out.

He nods, "We worked extra hard to get out of this place. The 'smarter' ones will leave earlier."

"Have you thought of a university to go to?" Tao questions.

"Wherever you are, hyung," he replies cheesily.

Even you make a disgusted face and Chanyeol pushes you playfully. You have a hint of a smile playing on your lips. Maybe these boys are okay. Maybe.

Tao asks him a few more questions before you guys arrive at the BBQ place Luhan has chosen. BBQ for so many would be expensive but to the drug dealer, this bill was a small feat.

You sit between Tao and Baekhyun while Luhan is opposite you. It isn't what you had hoped for when he proposed a catch-up session but at least you are sitting with them.

"Order whatever you like, it's my treat," Luhan announces to the whole table.

"Of course, giggolo," you mumble.

Baekhyun heard it and he eyes Luhan, "What?"

"She's just teasing," Luhan shakes his head. 

"I didn't know she teases," Baekhyun looks at you in amusement.

You roll your eyes, "Not to you."

"She's teasing again," Luhan is trying annoy me, isn't he?!

"Really?" Baekhyun grins boyishly, his eyes sparkling.

"No," you simply snap at him.

Baekhyun goes through the menu in front of him, still smiling. He leans over to you after a few moments, eyes fix on the menu, "Should I have noodles or rice?"

You stare at him weirdly, "Just get both. You can probably eat it all. Plus Luhan oppa is buying."

He contemplates it before shaking his head, "It'll be too much for me. Noodles or rice?"

What is he, a girl? You look at him in amusement before ignoring him. You feel him glancing at you when he doesn't receive a reply. After a while, he asks you another question.

"Bibimbap or fried rice?"

You crinkle your nose, "Why are you so indecisive?"

"Why are you so cold?"

Touché.

You openly roll your eyes at him, "Fried rice."

He shuts the menu and smiles widely, "Bibimbap it is!"

Your jaw drops slightly but you recover in an instant. You scowl at him, he is so weird. And annoying. 

You don't speak after you guys ordered. The table is noisy though, thanks to so many guys. Tao and Luhan know that if it had been just the three of you, you would probably be more comfortable and talkative. However, now that there are other people, they can't help but feel a little guilty to see you uncomfortable and silent.

Tao nudges you lightly, "Oppa is going back to school in a week. Won't you miss me?"

You shake your head innocently, "Not really."

"I know you're not lying," he sighs but then pinches your cheek. "Can't you at least look like you are? And look like you will miss me?"

You push his face away, "You're so annoying."

The two of you are at it again, causing Baekhyun to stare at you like you are not the girl from before. Luhan sighs, leaning forward to grasp onto both our arms that are reaching for each other's faces.

"Stop!" He orders. "I swear to God, you guys are always touching each other. And not in a romantic way."

You huffed, "Tao is so annoying."

"Everyone's annoying to you, it seems," Baekhyun states.

"It's true," you point a finger at him, nodding.

He grabs your finger and brings it down, "I don't like people pointing their finger at me."

"I don't like people touching me," you retrieve your hand from his as if you had touched acid.

"She really hates it," Tao nods at Baekhyun. "She didn't let us touch her until two years after we met."

"TWO?!" the boy exclaims. "Does she have a problem?"

"No, I do not," you spit. "Aren't you a blunt one?"

"She likes you already," Luhan winks at Baekhyun. "Trust me."

You kick his leg under the table, only to see Sehun, who is beside Luhan, yelp. You mumble a sorry before throwing a punch to Luhan's shoulder over the table.

"Trust me," Luhan grins at Baekhyun while rubbing his shoulder.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

It has been two weeks and Chanyeol is still following you around despite graduating today. You have to commend him for his tenacity though. Actually, the other boys are as tenacious as Chanyeol. They are constantly inviting you to lunch or dinner, sometimes even basketball practices. And to all of which you decline, some not so politely.

"Aren't you going to congratulate me?" He pouts.

You sigh tiredly and stop walking. You turn to him, "Congratulations, Chanyeol-ssi." You give him a sincere smile, then dropping it before stalking off to your class.

"What? No hug?!" He shouts from behind.

You shake your head and he runs to you. He stops you before you actually enter your classroom.

"You have to come to the Valedictory at lunch time, okay? It's held in the basketball court. You have to come, okay?" With that, he pushes you into the classroom.

Attending Baekhyun's, Jongdae's and Chanyeol's Valedictory? You are probably a friend to them but to you, they're still strangers. You don't know them, so why should you act like you do and attend their graduation?

But it's important to them. After almost half a year longer than usual, they get to graduate from High School and move on. You think about it the entire time before lunch, causing your seat mate to frown in worry. You assure her that you are fine and she drops the matter even though she knows that something is bothering you.

Lunch time is 45 minutes. And it is only 15 minutes before it ends. You are in the classroom, contemplating whether you should go or not. You groan in frustration, dropping your head on the desk with a thump. If you go, they are going to see this as an opportunity to get closer to you, which means that they are going to latch themselves onto you even more.

It helps that at least three of them aren't going to be in this school anymore. But the youngest two... They are the ones who do not take 'no' for an answer.

Six minutes left and you are almost crying out of frustration. You groan, standing up abruptly. Your classmates were coming into the classroom, getting ready for the next class, when they are shocked from your outburst.

You curse yourself as you briskly make your way out of the school building. You see a sea of people at the basketball court with flowers everywhere and people posing for photos. But a lot of them are leaving because the juniors have classes. As they leave, you notice that there are only probably six who are graduating today.

You quietly walk towards the small group of boys as they laugh and clap each other on the back. Seeing a girl in their midst, they turn and set their wide eyes on you.

"You came!" Chanyeol squeals like a girl.

He rushes towards you, enveloping you in a hug. As much as you are cringing from the contact, you awkwardly pat his back. Which surprises not only him but also the other boys behind him.

"Congratulations," you give a small smile.

The group move towards you. Seeing how you're open to Chanyeol hugging you, Jongdae warily approaches you with open arms. He stands a little away from you, waiting for you to accept it.

You try not to make a face but shuffle your feet closer to him. Taking that as a sign, he wraps strong arms around your small frame. You hear him taking in your scent and you try your best not to think about issuing a ten-metre rule.

When he lets go, Baekhyun immediately engulfs you in a bear hug, swaying from side-to-side happily. He is humming a happy song and you can't help but display a small smile on your face.

"Thanks for coming," Jongdae smiles warmly at you, truly appreciative.

You shake your head, "Graduating is important and since I am invited..." You shrug but narrow your eyes at them. "But this still doesn't mean we're friends."

"Awww really?!" Sehun pouts.

"You're already one of my best friends," Chanyeol frowns. "And I only have four best friends in the entire world. Plus you, five!"

You shake your head, "Oh, no, no, no. We're not friends. And definitely not best friends."

"Stop denying what really is," Baekhyun looks at you wisely, nodding his head.

You couldn't help but burst out in laughter, seeing how stupid he looks. Because he is not wise at all. You sigh when you realise you're the only one laughing. 

"We're so friends," Jongin confirms, looking at the others.

"Maybe a bit," you agree, showing them your forefinger and thumb that are separated only slightly.


Author's note:

 

Just to clarify, Chanyeol, Chen and Baekhyun are 21 (Korean age) in this story. While Sehun, Kai and you are 19 (Korean age).

 

Also, happy birthday to my baby boy, Sehun! 생일축하해여 우리 세후니! 난 영원히 지켜 주고 사랑해용. 세훈의 옆에 난 영원히 있을거에요, 그래서 아무도 걱정마요!

 

Comment, subscribe, upvote! Don't be a silent reader, okay?

xoxo