04

Unravelled

"No, Oh Sehun! You cannot do this to me!" You scold him, throwing punches at him while he clutches his stomach, guffawing. 

In the midst of a study session in your room, Sehun had taken a picture of you while you were concentrating on your work. Jongin had quietly encouraged him to take more. When you realised what they had done, you've attacked the both of them at the speed of light. You never liked people taking pictures of you. 

"Kai! Take a picture of us right now!" Sehun yells at Jongin. "I'm going to tell everyone she's crazy over me."

You know of Sehun's little crush on you and he knows that you are aware of it. He was shy about it at first but now he uses this chance to tease and flirt with you at the same time. However, you're never fooled by his antics. You treat Sehun and Jongin just like how you treat Luhan and Tao. It might seem, however, that you are closer to the two Koreans than the Chinese. It probably helps when you attend the same school. 

Kai, as what Jongin tells girls his name is when he is outside of school, laughs as he continues snapping more pictures.

You groan, giving up. You sit up straight, brushing yourself off. You pout slightly in the direction of the two boys, thinking that they would relent. But they only start taking more pictures. 

Flipping them off with a finger, you walk to the door when you hear someone knocking. A maid opens the door and you see a person behind her. She informs you that you have a visitor, moving aside to present to you Byun Baekhyun. 

The male beams at you, holding up two plastic bags, which you assume is food. The maid bows, taking her leave.

"What are you doing here?" You raise an eyebrow at him, still not inviting him into your room.

"What?" He chuckles. "Can't oppa visit you?" 

You roll your eyes, "What oppa..." You walk back into your room, knowing that he is going to follow you. 

"Also—" He stops short when he realises that there are people here as well. He narrows his eyes at them, "What are you guys doing here?"

Jongin shrugs, putting down his phone. "We're studying since we have our final exams coming up soon." 

"What are you doing here?" Sehun counters, sitting up against the bed lazily. 

You sit at your study table, ignoring the others. Sehun had been on your bed, studying while Jongin was on the ground. But after the little brawl, Sehun and Jongin are now both on the floor. 

"I have good news!" Baekhyun announces chirpily, making you turn to him curiously.

"And you came here first before informing us?" Jongin raises an eyebrow. 

You don't miss the way the tip of Baekhyun's ears redden. He stutters, "Y-you guys are here too, aren't you?" 

Sehun rolls his eyes, "You didn't even know we would be here!" 

"Anyway!" Baekhyun walks towards you and you are somewhat alarmed. "I got my acceptance letter from Seoul U!" 

"Really?" You smile genuinely, happy for him. 

The older boy nods his head happily, putting the bags down on your table after clearing your table. Despite how messy he might be, you realise that he is mindful when it comes to your feelings.

"I'm really happy for you," you give him a small smile.

Despite the fact that he sees your eyes saying what your heart feels, he pouts, "No hug? No kiss? No—" You pinch his forearm and he chuckles, "Okay, at least a hug?"

Knowing that you wouldn't be the one initiating it, he bends forward with his arms open. You groan loudly but let him wrap his arms around you. Awkwardly, you leave a hand on his back. He squeezes you tight for a second and lets go. The boy is beaming when he straightens his back and you realise that he isn't going to wipe it off his face anytime soon.

"Hyung!" Jongin and Sehun attack him from the back by hugging him tightly, almost crushing him. "We're very happy for you too!"

You chuckle at their sarcasm and the way they squeeze him even tighter after every word. Baekhyun is cringing more and more every second. But the two younger boys finally let go, giving Baekhyun some space to breathe.

Instead, they hover over you, their bodies pressed against you. They peer into the bags that Baekhyun brought and ask him what is in it. Baekhyun immediately grins, joining your huddled circle. He takes out the boxes and place five different dishes on the table.

"I had only bought for us both," he furrows his eyebrows at you.

"I guess we'll all just have to eat lesser!" Jongin beams, opening the first box he sees.

Baekhyun slaps his hand away, "Yah! You guys have no share!"

"But hyung," Sehun is whining full on. "We need energy to study."

You don't say anything, instead just watching for Baekhyun's next move. You watch as he contemplates the choices. Then, his eyes flickers to yours and you feel yourself freeze. But you regain your composure easily, knowing that none of them would have seen that.

"Are you hungry? We can just let them starve," he suggests, his face completely serious.

You shake your head in amusement, "It's okay, we can all share."

"You're the best," the two younger boys sing as they hug you tightly while giving the older boy smug looks.

You shrug them off, "Go away." They take their arms off you and you see Baekhyun grinning at their demise. "Let's eat on the ground," you bring some boxes to where Jongin had been sitting previously.

The three boys bring the other boxes over. It is lucky that there are extra chopsticks for the other two. You examine the food that Baekhyun had brought and you realise that they are mostly what you always order when you're going out to eat.

You eye him suspiciously and he shrugs, "What? Do you like them too?" You roll your eyes at the knowing smile he gives you and he chuckles, "I've noticed that you only eat these when we went out to eat."

"This hyung doesn't even know my favourite colour," Jongin shakes his head at you.

"It's silver!" Baekhyun throws Jongin a 'Duh' look.

Jongin sighs, "It's black. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Oh," the older boy mumbles with his head down.

"Let's eat before the food turns cold," hungry Sehun suggests.

You start eating first, seeing how the three of them look at you expectantly. Once you have put the food into your mouth, the two younger boys reach for the food in an instant. Baekhyun, however, is watching you in anticipation.

"How is it?" His eyes are sparkling. 

You nod, "It's yummy."

The boy's lips stretches into a wide smile, his eyes crinkling. He starts eating too, although you notice that he seems much happier—if possible—now. The three of them starts bickering as usual again. You occasionally step in to stop them, but most of the time you stay quiet. You may be familiar with Baekhyun, but you are still wary of him.

You see how badly Baekhyun tries to break your wall of trust and you desperately want to let him in. But you can't. As much as you want to, you can't because you're so scared. You're afraid that he might eventually do something that will break your trust and then leave you raw with emotions and feelings pouring out of you.

To let Sehun and Jongin in was a great headache to you. But now that they are your friends, you're more comfortable with them. But that doesn't mean that they know whatever you feel or think. There is always going to be a wall separating you and other people. And no one is ever brave enough or selfless enough to try breaking it.

To be very honest though, you are grateful for that egocentric trait of humans.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

Baekhyun is still in your place and he is lounging on the bed, watching television. Sehun and Jongin have started studying on the floor while you are at your study table.

"Do you need help?" You hear Baekhyun ask.

The three of you turn to him, only to see him looking at you. The two boys scoff, turning their attention back to their books. You eye Baekhyun slightly but his face is expressionless.

"Are you good at History?" You sigh, setting your pen down a little too hard.

Baekhyun chuckles and nod once, "I'm okay... I got a B though..."

"Good enough," you mumble.

You start grabbing your book and pens to the bed so that Baekhyun could tutor you. He moves aside and you sit next to him. You leave a respectable distance in between the both of you.

"What do you need help on?" He peers over your opened book. You stab the page with your finger and he laughs, nodding, "Jongdae was terrible at this too."

You immediately feel hopeful, "So I'm not the only one bad at this?"

"Oh no," he shakes his head and you frown. "He actually got an A for History..." You huff and slump in rejection. The boy laughs again, seeing you so dejected. He pats you on the head, "Don't worry, I'll help you get an A too."

"You got a B though," you point out bluntly.

Baekhyun sticks his tongue out at you, "Fine then, ask the two idiots here, see if they could help you."

You crinkle your nose at Sehun and Jongin who are glaring at Baekhyun, "They in History."

Baekhyun gives you a smug face. "Or I can call Jongdae to come—"

"No thanks," you mumble, looking down at your book. "Let's just start." 

Baekhyun doesn't move nor does he say anything for a moment. Then he clears his throat and starts asking you what you don't know. Every time he gives you a question to think about, you feel him looking at you. Sometimes, you glance at him and catch his eye. Unlike most people who would look away, he actually smiles warmly at you. You would either scoff or roll your eyes at him, making him laugh.

"Stop looking at her, hyung," Sehun punches Baekhyun's arm. "She's mine."

"I'm not looking at her, I'm admiring her," Baekhyun says with a straight face.

You stop writing notes to glare at Baekhyun. Sehun's eyes are wide like he had never imagined his best friend would say something like this. Baekhyun catches your eye and you share a moment as his eyes turn into crescents.

Looking away, you grip your pen tighter. "Baekhyun-ssi, please do not say such things."

"What things?" He sounds completely puzzled. You give him a look, only to realise that he really doesn't understand you. "I was just speaking the truth."

You shake your head, giving up on him. "I think I'm done for History."

Jongin jumps on the bed instantly, "Good, I think I need a nap before I can continue with math."

"Sleep in your own house, Kim Jongin," you growl, nudging his body with your foot.

The sleeping boy grabs your foot and holds onto it so that you can't kick him anymore. He mumbles with his eyes closed, "You know how I can't study without you. I will succumb to my videogames at home... I'm only productive in your house."

You sigh, retracting your foot roughly. You let this boy off for now, knowing that he is going to get it his way anyhow. You glance at Baekhyun and you see him looking at you with a weird look on his face.

"What?" You feel a little annoyed with all the looks he is giving you today.

"You're so nice to them," he comments frankly.

You raise an eyebrow, "Didn't you see me kick him?"

"Yeah, and it still hurts," Jongin pipes up, causing you to kick him one more time.

"That's the thing!" Baekhyun widens his eyes. "You're nice to them and you're touching them."

"Wow, if I see your pinches that way..." Sehun muses and you reach over to knock his head.

"I am most certainly not touching them, Baekhyun-ssi," you ground out.

He waves his hand in front of him, as if dispelling the thought, "I didn't mean it that way... It's just that, I deduced that you only let people touch you when you're comfortable with them... Luhan hyung and Tao, for example."

You think about it. You actually never noticed the difference between the treatments of people close to you and others. And you realise that Baekhyun is right. Which brings you to one thought: Has Baekhyun been paying that much attention to me?

"Are you... Are you, perhaps, jealous, hyung?" Sehun nudges his older friend.

You hear a slight snoring and you flicker your eyes to Jongin, who is sleeping with his mouth somewhat open. He looks so peaceful and so unlike the normal Jongin you know; so much so that you feel the urge to tuck him in properly with your blanket.

"Yes," you clearly hear Baekhyun's firm answer.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

"Noona has boyfriends?" Your kid brother widen his eyes in shock.

Your mother and younger brother are seated at the dining table with you and your three friends. Your mother has seen Jongin and Sehun once before when you sent them off to the door after a study session. Other than that they are always in your room. Even your family knows not to disturb you in any sort of way. So no one really goes into your room unless it is important.

Your brother, however, has never seen them. Actually, he has never seen any of your friends besides Luhan and Tao.

It is definitely shocking to him. He is only 12 years old and to have an older sister must be a pain because he has no one to play videogames with. Now that he knows that you have guy friends, you know for sure he is going to cling onto them.

Despite your cold attitude, you are the warmest to your brother. Because since your father couldn't do anything for him, you try your best to make it up to him. You play with him when you can and you made him confide in you since he was 5. From then on, he only runs to you whenever he has a problem.

"Not boyfriends!" You glare at him. "Guy friends."

Totally ignoring you, he asks the boys enthusiatically, "Hyungs, do you play LoL?"

Jongin widens his eyes, gasping, "You play it too?!"

"Let's play together!" Your brother squeals, almost bursting in joy.

"Let's eat first before playing, shall we?" Your mother chuckles at how happy her son looks. The boys nod and they thank your mother one-by-one for letting them stay for dinner. Your mother sighs, smiling, "My daughter here has never brought friends home... This is the first time I've seen her friends, of course I have to meet you guys! Even if you drop by everyday, I'd still invite all of you to stay for dinner."

You feel the eyes of the three boys on you but you plainly ignore them. You know what their faces would look like, so what's the point? You pick at your food, suddenly uncomfortable.

"Hyungs, let's play after dinner!" Your brother invites Jongin and Sehun when they have established the fact that each of them play the same games.

You point a stern finger at your brother, "No, hyungs here need to study. And you need to study too."

"Noona..." Your brother pouts, whining. He knows this is going to get to you. You look away and he starts pleading you, "Noona, please? Just for an hour? Pleeeeease? Noona, pleeeeeease?"

You sigh, almost crying when you feel yourself soften. You tell him strictly, "Just one hour. Any longer than that and I'll turn off the internet."

"Our girl here loves her brother a lot," you hear your mother explain to the boys.

At once, you glance at the boys. You see that they are smiling fondly at you. You frown at them and they start smirking. Their personalities may be different but the things they do are so alike.

The three younger boys are engrossed in talking about videogames the entire time while Baekhyun and your mother talk about universities. He had mentioned to your mother that he has been accepted into Seoul U and she felt so happy for him. You are silently eating, sometimes teasing your younger brother who would look like he's about to cry.

After dinner, your brother practically drags the two older boys back to your room. Jongin and Sehun bring their laptops whenever they come over so that they don't have to use yours when they need to do a research. While your brother runs into his room to grab his laptop, the four of you rest in your room.

Sehun and Jongin have booted up their mean machines, waiting for them to come to life. They are sitting on the floor, but you move them to your bed no matter how much they insisted.

"I don't want my brother numbing his from sitting on the floor," you roll your eyes. "Not everything is about you guys, okay?"

"Aigoo, look at the kind noona~" Sehun leaps into your arms, snuggling you.

You groan, "Sehun, get off of me. Now."

Sehun hears the tone of your voice and scrambles away from you. Just in time, your younger brother runs in with his gadgets. You help him set up while he talks to his newfound friends animatedly.

He is so preoccupied in his recount that he forgets to thank you. You chastise him for that and he looks at you guiltily before thanking you sincerely. They start logging on and you walk to your study table, only to see Baekhyun occupying the chair.

The boy smiles warmly at you, getting up to let you have a seat. You frown and then shake your head. You walk away, sitting on the floor in front of the bed, focusing on the television. When you realise that Baekhyun isn't coming over, you turn your head to his direction. He is looking at the boys on your bed with envy. 

You call his name and he shifts his attention to you. You beckon him to come, patting the empty space next to you. He grins and gets up, walking towards you.

"You don't play videogames?" You question when he sits next to you. You don't ignore the way his knee is brushing against yours.

He hums, "I do, but since my course is starting soon, I really don't need my addiction to resurface."

You nod, proud of him, "Good, at least you're responsible."

The both of you have your eyes on the television. A variety show is on and you are absorbed in it when Baekhyun says something totally out of the blue. 

"Why are you so warm to your family but not to people around you?"

Slowly, you tear your eyes away from the TV screen to look at the male. You think about it and you realise that you have no idea why. You shrug and Baekhyun chuckles at the blank look on your face.

"I wonder what happened to you that made you like this..." He muses.

You study his face intently as he watches the show. His slightly-messy-but-smooth brown hair falls nicely on his forehead, his eyelashes are so thick that it makes it look like he has eyeliner on. His cheeks are chubby and puffy, making you think of a cute hamster—only more annoying. His pink, thin lips are parted slightly as he breathes in and out.

"Hey," you nudge the boy, who looks shocked that you have actually initiated a conversation and physically interacted with him. "Let's go out for ice cream? As a reward for getting into Seoul U."

You observe as his astonished expression morphs into a wide grin and a cute eye smile.


Author's note:

Firstly, thank you for the upvotes and subscriptions! I feel really grateful, knowing that you like my story.

Secondly, I wanna inform you that I might take a longer time updating the other chapters because I am having my finals soon and I need to study for it. I'm sorry but you will have to wait a while... OTL

Lastly, please pray for South Korea! Hearing the devastating news makes my heart go out to the victims' families and everyone else in South Korea. Please do not lost hope and please stay safe!

 

Clarification:

Imagine Baekhyun with this hair...

BhUqRrDCYAIxLF6.jpg:large

Can you actually believe that Baek isn't my ultimate bias? OTL

 

xoxo