12

Unravelled

You wake up, feeling groggy. Rubbing your eyes, you leave the room, following the smell of food. Something is off in this place. You frown, looking around. There's no one in the house. Darting your eyes to the kitchen, you see Baekhyun's back as he is facing the stove.

"Where's everyone?" You cringe when you heard your voice so coarse and sandy.

"Oh, you're up," he smiles, turning back to the pan in front of him. He says without looking at you, "They went to play basketball."

"Why didn't you go?" You question, standing next to him, hips touching.

"Because I can't just leave you," Baekhyun answers, gazing at your side profile while you watch the egg cooking in the pan. "How is your head?"

"What about it?" You tear your eyes away from the egg and look at Baekhyun. He brings a hand up to your forehead and touches a spot. You yelp in pain. "What was that?!"

"You headbutted me when I tried to wake you up," he laughs, shaking his head.

"I did?!" You gasp. "I'm so sorry!"

He shakes his head, still laughing, "It's okay. I think I see a bump though."

You sigh, turning your back on the stove, leaning your body against the counter as you stare at Baekhyun cooking. He glances at you and smiles.

"What's up?" He pushes the scrambled eggs onto a plate and starts grilling two slices of bread. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Who are you cooking for?" You ask, ignoring his question. "Because I'm really hungry."

"Of course, it's—" He checks the clock on the wall. "—2:47PM." It is not out of the norm for you to be waking up this late though. But to Baekhyun, it is. "We all thought you were sick or something. You just kept sleeping." He glances at you again, chuckling. "What are you, a baby?"

He places one slice of cheese on each slice of bread and waits for it to melt. You swallow your saliva, your lips in case you were drooling.

"So who are you making this for again?" You couldn't hear anything he just said because you were too busy drooling over his food.

"You, of course," he grins and you brighten up at that.

Feeling really happy, you hug him from the side. He laughs, extracting his arm from in between your bodies. He wraps that arm around your shoulder, cooking with that hand.

"I should cook for you more often," he concludes.

You hum, your head laying in the crook of his neck. He smells really good. And you feel like you're melting again. Except this time, you don't push him away. If anything, you pull him closer to you. Baekhyun is shocked when you do that.

"Did you hit your head too hard?" His voice lacing with concern. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," you mumble, not sure why you are suddenly so touchy too.

He rubs his hand up and down your arm, scowling when he feels the plasters. Tracing his finger along the one on your right sleeve, he presses his lips to your head. "Does it still hurt?"

"No, but..."

"But?"

"I won't get a scar, right?" You ask for reassurance.

He purses his lips before turning to the pan. He covers the two bread slices together and turns off the fire. He shrugs, "I hope not, or you're gonna turn into Frankenstein." Before you could slap his arm, he grins at you, showing you his artwork. The plate only has scrambled eggs and a grilled cheese sandwich but you feel like you are being served steak.

"Thank you," you offer a smile, following him to the dining table. You sit while he takes a glass of milk for you. You take a bite of the scrambled egg and freeze. Baekhyun comes in just in time and he widens his eyes.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry!" He gasps, running towards you. "I'm such a bad cook—"

"I forgot to brush my teeth!" You frown at your carelessness.

Baekhyun blinks his eyes, settling down next to you. "So it's not the food?" You shake your head. "It's because you haven't brushed your teeth?" You nod and he rolls his eyes. He pushes the fork into your mouth, "Just eat, kitten."

"But—" You are cut off when he shoves the sandwich into your mouth. You scowl at him and pinches his arm.

He laughs, grabbing your hand so that you don't continue pinching him. You take the sandwich out of your mouth and set it on the plate after taking a bite. Baekhyun is playing with your fingers, rubbing the tips of each finger with his thumb and forefinger. You think the sandwich is really yummy, but then what could go wrong with a grilled cheese sandwich?

"Hey kitten," you hear Baekhyun call when you are drinking the milk he brought you.

"Hmm?" He is drawing circles on your palm but you are looking at him.

"Who do you see yourself marrying?" He looks up, his eyes glistening and boring into your soul.

You give a secretive smile, "I can't say."

"But it involves me!" He whines. You glare at him and he clears his throat. "Tell me, please?" He grasps your hand with his in a praying manner in front of him.

You sigh, giving up. And he knows that you have, because he is grinning, looking at you hopefully. "You."

"Really?" Why does he look so surprised?

"Do you want me to take it back?" You purse your lips.

He shakes his head vehemently. "No! Don't."

"I won't," you laugh at his reaction and he kicks your leg under the table.

"Why me?" He grins stupidly, as though your information has brought light to his life. "Even after I got mad at you?"

You shrug, "You seem to know me so well and it's kinda scary, truthfully. Like sometimes I do something and I don't even know why I'm doing it but you seem to know." You look away, suddenly shy. "And even though all five of you are really nice to me, I feel like— I don't know... Like—"

"Like we fit? Like we belong together?" His words are making you blush and he continues, "You're not the only one, kitten. I feel it too."

"Really?" You whisper, feeling a little better that it's not a one-sided thing.

He nods, pressing his lips together and withdrawing his hands. He is frowning when he says, "It's weird though... Because you push me away a lot and..."

"And?"

He takes a deep breath, "And I'm the kind who puts my pride first... I don't know why I still keep going back to you even though I know you will eventually push me away."

You feel guilty, hearing him say those words. You didn't mean for him to get hurt, and you didn't think it would have affected him. But seeing how he looks right now, you know that you played a big part in making him feel this way. It's not your fault that you take time warming up to people. Your father had ingrained that practice in you since you were young and you know it is not a good thing. But habits are difficult to kick. Besides, isn't it a good thing that you are not like that to him anymore?

"I'm sorry," you apologise sincerely and you feel like you have been apologising to him a lot lately.

Baekhyun smiles warmly at you, cupping your cheek. You don't mean to lean into his touch but you do. "It's fine, kitten. Look at us now, we're fine." You look down, still guilty. "It's over, kitten. We're more than okay now, aren't we? At least, I hope we are," he chuckles.

But his laughter dies off when you don't say anything. His face is etching with worry now, obviously scared that you don't feel the same. But of course, you do. You felt it the moment you interacted with him. But you were pushing the feelings aside, not wanting to feel anything. You know how dangerous it is to let someone see your real emotions. Because you know how much it hurts when someone takes advantage of that, just like what Minseok had done.

However, you also know how right Baekhyun was when he said that you couldn't just rely on yourself. And you know that no matter how much you shove these boys away, they are only going to come back to you. Besides, high school is over. Doesn't that mean a new start?

Baekhyun has his eyes casted downwards, trying not to show the pain in his features. You bite your lip, knowing that what you are going to do next would be the turning point for your relationship with him, with the other boys and your life. You run your hands through his brown hair and he snap his head up to give you a weird look. You are smiling fondly at him and he frowns, obviously thrown into a state of confusion.

"Yes, we're more than okay now, Baek," you give him an eyesmile when you see his eyes widen and his lips slightly open.

"Eh?" He is dumbfounded, to say the least.

"I'm not pushing you away anymore, Baek," you explain in simpler terms. "That's what I'm saying."

You watch as he starts blinking rapidly and you chuckle. Withdrawing your hand from his soft hair, you start eating again. Baekhyun is about to say something but was interrupted by the rowdy boys who had just came home. They run towards you, seeing that you have food. But you shield it with your body because you already see Jongdae's hand reaching out for the grilled cheese sandwich.

"Go away!" You growl, kicking their shins.

"Excuse me?" Chanyeol puts hand over his heart and feigns hurt. "Hey, cupcake, don't be rude. I let you stay over and that's how you repay me?"

"You almost gave me diabetes yesterday, Park Chanyeol," you roll your eyes, eating the scrambled egg.

"I didn't use the entire bottle!" He whines for the upteenth time about this issue.

After you saw the empty bottle of Nutella in the bin, you went to yell at Chanyeol while chugging many glasses of water. He had been reassuring you that he didn't use it all on your sandwich but you just want to about it. Because he gets so frustrated when you don't believe in him.

"Park Chanyeol," you say his name like a stern mother. "I saw the bottle in the bin. Don't you dare lie to me."

"I did not use the whole thing for your sandwich!" He cries in frustration.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

You are finally back home and all that you have done the past few days was lazing in bed and watching television. You don't see a need in doing anything when you should be enjoying your freedom before university starts. A week had flown by after the sleepover and you had only been out of the house once just to fetch your brother from school and then going for dinner, just the both of you.

Which meant that you have turned into a lazy . Someone opens the door and you assume that it is your brother or your mother. Because the maids always knock on your door before entering.

"Hey kitten."

You shoot up from your position. Your body is spread out on the bed under the covers and your hair is in an even messier bun than it had started with. You haven't showered yet even though it is already almost dinner time.

Baekhyun laughs, sitting on your bed. "Why do you look like you haven't seen the sun in weeks?" You mumble something incoherently and he grins at your cuteness. "What?" He asks while chuckling.

"Don't wanna go out," you mutter a little louder.

"But I came here to have dinner with you," he crinkles his nose. "Come on, kitten. I missed you."

"You just saw me a week ago," you whine, flopping back down to your bed.

"And I have been enduring for a week long," says Baekhyun simply. He smacks your arm, "Get up, cupcake."

"No!"

"Okay then."

You wonder what had gotten into him until he lays down on your bed, his head next to yours. He is grinning at you, his eyes are beautiful crescents and his eyelashes from upclose look short and cute. His cheeks look even chubbier up close and you wonder how it feels like—whether it is soft like marshmallows or firm like pudding. His teeth are really white but that's not the one illuminating his features. His smile is the most endearing and you feel a desire to snatch it and keep it close to your heart.

"We can just stay here and stare at each other if it satiates your hunger by doing this," he says.

You scoff, but the ends of your lips are turned upwards. "I haven't eaten the entire day, maybe I'll just eat you."

He frowns and repeats, "You haven't eaten the entire day?" You shake your head. "Let's go for dinner now."

Baekhyun pulls you up and drags you to the bathroom. You turn around to yell at him but he has already slammed the door in your face. Scowling and making faces at him through the door, you reluctantly take a shower. But you're not sure if you should leave the bathroom because you are only draped in a towel. 

"I'll leave the room," you hear Baekhyun shout from the other side of the door. "I've picked your outfit for you, it's on your bed. See you downstairs, kitten."

Hearing the door shut, you open the bathroom door and glance around, making sure that he isn't here anymore. When the coast is clear, you walk over to your bed and wear whatever he had picked out for you, which is a pair of black leggings and a gray muscle tank. A pair of black boots are at the foot of your bed.

You leave the room after grabbing your phone and wallet, going down to the living room. Baekhyun is on the opposite side of the island where your mother is on the other side, talking and laughing. You walk towards them, standing next to Baekhyun. Your mother glances at you as she talks while Baekhyun grins down at you, his hand suddenly on the small of your back.

"I'm taking her out for dinner, Mdm, if that's okay," he gives a charming smile to your mother.

She waves a dismissive hand, "I have my other kid to pester, take her." You glare at your mother and she laughs, "Have fun."

"I like your mum," he comments when you guys step out of the house.

"You like her only because she's nice to you."

"Yeah," he confirms, laughing.

He unlocks his car and opens the door to the passenger side for you. When you get in, he buckles the seatbelt for you and you think it is totally unnecessary. It isn't like you couldn't do it yourself and the fact that you are blushing from the closeness his face is from yours as he stretches to click the seatbelt in place.

You decide that Baekhyun is in a really good mood today as he grins at you. He takes off his red snapback and wears it on your head. He shuts the door and you adjust the cap so that you can see clearly. But you don't taper with the size because you think he is just using your head as a rest for his cap.

"How was school?" You ask him when the car is moving.

He shrugs, "Would've been more fun if you were there."

You scrunch your nose, he is being so greasy right now. He glances at your expression and he laughs. You joke, "Maybe I'll accompany you tomorrow."

"Would you?" He seems shocked as he turns to you again.

You laugh this time, shaking your head, "No."

He flicks your arm with one hand and you laugh even louder. It feels good to be able to finally open up to someone, to talk to him. Even though you are new to this, you know that you will never want to retreat back into your shell now. And Baekhyun seems to be the only person to be able to draw you out. You are, with no doubt, afraid of what the future will be like once Baekhyun lures you out and you can't find a way back. But you know that this is a step of faith.

"I hate you," he grumbles.

You grin at him. And this is a step of faith that you are willing to take.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

Baekhyun is driving you to Seoul University at nine in the morning and you do not look happy. But this boy looks really excited for someone who has three lectures today. The both of you made a bet yesterday during dinner; if Baekhyun manages to make the grumpy-looking waitress blush, you would go to school with him today.

And he won, being the smooth talker he is. He did not even have to go as far as to using pick-up lines! He merely kept dazzling her with his smile and kept being the talkative boy that he is.

So here you are. He actually came to get you from your house, knowing that you were not going to wake up on time. Baekhyun dragged you to shower again, like yesterday. And picked out your outfit again, like yesterday.

The boy is carrying a bagpack while you just have your wallet and phone with you. He guides you to his first lecture and you sit next to Baekhyun, slightly leaning more towards him. Taking out his notes and a pen, he grins at you while waiting for the lecturer to come in.

"You're not cold, right?" He asks.

You shake your head. Not when he actually picked out a pullover for you when the weather is finally warming up. But you understand why he did it when you feel the air-conditioning blasting on full power. Halfway through the lecture, you end up laying your head on Baekhyun's shoulder. He glances at you while he continues to write notes.

"Don't sleep, you're supposed to keep me company," the idiot starts shrugging his shoulder to get your head off.

"Don't be selfish, Baekhyun," you chastise. "You made me get up early when I didn't even have to. And you—"

"Okay, okay," he pinches your lips together. "Sleep, then."

You snuggle your head deeper into the crook of his neck, getting comfortable. Even while you are unconscious, you can smell Baekhyun's scent and you think you are addicted to it. And it definitely shows when your face is pressed into the boy's bare neck. Your nose is buried into his nape and your lips are firmly planted on his skin.

"Hey," you hear Baekhyun whisper. "Hey, kitten." He calls again. "Lecture's over, cupcake," he kisses your cheek. "Wake up."

"Hmm?" You stir, blinking an eye open after the other. You feel disorientated when you see an extremely fair complexion before you.

"Lecture is over," he repeats.

"Oh," you mumble when you move away from Baekhyun.

He chuckles at the way you watch students getting up and out the lecture theatre. You rub your eyes, stretching a little while waiting for Baekhyun to pack up his things. Almost three-fifth of the people in the theatre are staring at you, but you don't mind them, merely fixing your eyes on the boy next to you.

"Bye, Baekhyun oppa!" A few girls wave.

He gives them a polite smile and a nod, "See you."

But his smile turns into a grin when he turns to you, grabbing your hand and pulling you up, "Let's go before I'm late."

You follow him as he brings you to another lecture theatre, all the way on the other side of the campus. Seeing you holding your wallet, he offers to keep it in his bag and you thank him when he does so.

"Can I have access to the internet?" You ask Baekhyun when you are finally in the lecture hall.

He nods, taking your phone and logging on to his account for you. You are scrolling through an online clothing store when Baekhyun plops his head on your shoulder. You shake him off, telling him to listen in lecture. But since when does this boy listen to you? You let him stay on your shoulder, his hair slightly tickling your neck.

"That's pretty," he points to a dress on your phone.

You glance at him, then clicking on the item to view it better. "This?"

It is a white dress that has a skater skirt. It is mesh from its heartline bustier upwards, until the collar of the dress and the ends of the sleeves, where they are solid white again. It's really nice but you don't see yourself wearing it. He nods, looking up at you from his position on your shoulder. You hum and he asks for your opinion on it when you exit the page, continuing to look at other clothes.

"Not my style."

"I bet you'll look beautiful in everything," he says softly.

You shake your head, "I doubt it. Just like how you look fat in this black hoodie."

"Hey!" He pokes your waist.

You laugh, "I'm kidding. You look really handsome."

"You're lying," he pouts.

"I'm not, you look really hot." Then, you whisper, "That's why the girls are all attracted to you."

"Same goes to you," he counters.

"What?" You look at him in question and he rolls his eyes.

"Don't tell me you don't see the way guys are ogling at you? Or you just don't care?"

"It's just that they are surprised to see a fresh face around here."

"Maybe," he frowns. "I don't like it though."

You decide to a little, "But I'm flattered by their stares. I feel pretty."

Baekhyun seems to be taken aback by your answer as he realises that you are poking fun at him a lot more now. But then he scoffs, "You don't need them, kitten. I'll compliment you everyday with praises, even though you don't need to feel pretty when you are already perfect. I can even shower you with kisses and presents, if that's what you want."

You stare at him, dumbfounded. Did he just say all that? When you think he is done shocking you, he goes on to make your heart stop.

"I just don't want other guys looking at you, kitten. Not even Sehun, not even Chanyeol, not anyone."


Author's note:

Wah wah wah!!!!!! Fluff!!!!!! OTL How did you like this chapter?

Anyway, I'm finally done with my last paper today! I screwed it up but hey, it's over! :--)

Till next time,

xoxo