07

Unravelled

Your finals are in a week. You feel the pressure and stress, as does Sehun and Jongin. The three of you are studying even harder now, leaving all jokes aside. The three seniors come by to Sehun's or Jongin's house occasionally to help you guys. However, the only one allowed to your house is Baekhyun.

You feel guilty for not being able to trust Chanyeol and Jongdae because they are honestly really nice guys. But your character and your trust issues are holding you back from letting them in.

You tell yourself that you might consider inviting them over after your finals.

"Noona—" Your brother runs into your room a lot more often now since there are three more guys in the house.

"Noona and your hyungs are busy!" You groan. "Disturb us after our exams okay?"

"But noona..." He whines.

You roll your eyes and open your mouth to yap at him but Baekhyun beats you to it, "You're a boy. Boys don't whine!"

Thank you.

"Okay, hyung..." Your brother pouts.

"Nor do boys pout," Jongin chastises.

"But you guys do it all the time!" Your brother defends himself.

"Do not!" Jongin widens his eyes.

"You do!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Guys!" You yell above their bickering. Controlling your anger, you give your brother a tight smile while stressing every word, "After our finals, okay?"

He cowers visibly, "Okay... Bye noona. Bye hyungs..."

He leaves the room and you glare at Jongin for entertaining your brother. You are having a headache now because of that.

"Are you okay?" Sehun stands and moves to you, cupping your face.

You swat his hands away, "Yes."

"You look pale," Sehun and Baekhyun say at the same time.

"You do..." Jongin furrows his eyebrows.

You sigh tiredly, "I get sick during my exam periods, it's a ritual."

"That's a weird ritual," Sehun frowns.

"Of course, judge me because I want to be sick for every exam!" You snap sarcastically.

He makes a face, "Geez, when will I get used to your mean sarcasm?"

"She does it only to you," Jongin points out.

"Yeah, and apparently I only do it to stupid people," you look at the youngest boy seriously.

Sehun growls at you and Baekhyun laughs, "Okay, okay, guys. Stop fighting. Let's call it a day okay? Since the princess is sick."

"I hate that name!" You whine subconsciously.

The three of them look at you in amusement and you cover your mouth with your hand. You are blushing slightly.

"Is it because Minseok-ssi calls you that?" Sehun asks softly. You nod but don't elaborate. "Okay then, cupcake."

"Your ex took the nicest nickname, to be honest," Jongin pouts.

"Ha! You're pouting!" Sehun moves his attention to Jongin as he points an accusing finger at him.

"Okay, get out." You stand abruptly from your seat.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

"You're seriously hanging out with Sehun and Kai?" Your seat mate asks you doubtfully. You nod while writing down whatever the teacher is scribbling on the whiteboard into your notebook. "They're your friends?" Your pen hovers over the paper and you look at her. She looks nervous now that you're looking at her. "I– I mean, y– you don't make friends..." She explains hurriedly.

You shrug but don't reply to her question until she asks again. Something is fishy.

"What's going on?" You squint at her. "Why are you so interested?"

"I– I..." She sighs. "I'm just jealous okay? I have had a crush on Jongin for two years but he doesn't even know I exist." When she notices that you're not saying anything, she continues, "I just... I see how he treats you like you're so precious to him and he protects you all the time and I– I am jealous, okay?"

You nod but continue copying the teacher's writing. She scoffs at your indifference after spilling her heart out to you. However, after six minutes, you speak up, "Jongin and I are just friends. I don't like him."

"Sehun?"

"You like Sehun too?" You look at her, bemused.

She flushes, "N– No, um... I h–have a friend who li–likes him."

You narrow your eyes at her as she ignore your gaze while appearing to look hardworking. Something is definitely up. This girl doesn't stutter and when she does... What does that mean?

You ignore her queer behavior for the rest of the day. But when Jongin enters the classroom the moment your class is dismissed, you glance at your partner to look at her reaction. She is looking at him the entire time he makes his way to your desk. But she doesn't have that glint in her eyes that makes her look like she's crushing on him.

You turn to Jongin, who has his bag-pack slung over one shoulder. He raises his eyebrows, giving you a questioning look. Shaking your head, you take your bag and leave with Sehun and him.

Since your finals are in a few days, the two boys don't have to go for basketball practice anymore. Instead, the three of you head home to study. Today, you're all going to Sehun's place. Chanyeol, Jongdae and Baekhyun are joining you guys to tutor. The three older boys have started university but since they are only a few weeks into the course, they still have time to kill.

Baekhyun is doing Music Therapy in Seoul University, Chanyeol is enrolled in Music in Korea National University of Arts while Jongdae is in Seoul University doing Engineering.

"My favourite girl!!!" Chanyeol squeals the moment he sees you when he enters the home.

"Oh, no, no, no!" You widen your eyes, waving your arms in front of you madly.

You don't want him to be this attached to you when you can't even treat him like how you treat Sehun, Jongin or Baekhyun. And another reason is to tell him not to throw himself at you. But it's already too late.

"You just saw her a few days' ago," Jongdae whacks the taller boy's head as he passes by.

"Okay, okay, get off her now," Baekhyun chuckles, pulling Chanyeol away from you by the collar.

"When will I ever get used to that..." You mumble to yourself, shaking your head.

"Soon, cupcake!" Chanyeol grins and ruffles your hair.

"You need to keep your hands off her, hyung," Sehun warns.

"Why? So you can touch her?" The older giant smirks. His tone is childish as he sings, "I don't think so."

"She doesn't like people touching her," Sehun explains in a more matured manner.

"You'll just have to grow accustomed to it, then!" Chanyeol beams at you, patting your head.

You groan audibly but don't say anything. Since the boy won't stop, you guess you really just have to tolerate his skinship... Ugh.

"So, what are you guys doing?" Jongdae asks, plopping on the couch with a glass of milk.

You and Jongin are at the dining table while Sehun is on the ground at the coffee table, right in front of Jongdae.

"Math," Jongin speaks up.

"Chemistry," Sehun groans.

"History," you mumble.

"Oh! Jongdae can help since he got an A!" Chanyeol cleverly suggests. He beckons the boy, "Jongdae-ah! Come here!"

"What?" Jongdae raises an eyebrow while drinking from his cup.

"Help our girl here with history."

"She's quite bad at it, though. Just a warning," Baekhyun teases and you shoot him a glare.

He laughs while Jongdae nods. He is about to sit next to you but Jongin starts arguing about how he needs help with math too.

"I'll just sit in the middle of both of you," Jongdae rolls his eyes playfully. Once he is sat between the two of you, he turns to you immediately with his back facing Jongin. You smile when you hear Jongin groan childishly.

"So pretty!" Jongdae compliments your smile and you blush.

"She never blushes when we compliment her," Jongin points out.

"What does she—"

"She pinches us," Sehun answers from the living room.

"I think she likes you," Jongin nods wisely.

Jongdae shifts his attention to you, raising an eyebrow. You shrug. "You're more tolerable than the others," you murmur.

"Than me?!" Baekhyun and Chanyeol yell at the same time.

"Oh, yeah," you nod seriously. Your eyes widen when you see the two boys catapulting towards you. "No, no, no! Guys! Stop!"

You are knocked out of breath when the two strangle you in their embrace. They are now practically clinging onto you like two oversized koala bears.

"If I die, it's your fault," you growl at the two boys.

But they don't let go. Chanyeol hugs your waist even tighter while Baekhyun snuggles his face into the crook of your neck. They're shamelessly sitting on your lap, not to mention.

"We need to issue a 10-metre rule," jokes Jongdae.

"Please get it done A.S.A.P," you beg him as the two on your lap hugs you tighter.

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

It is the night before the first day of your exams. It's 9:12PM and you are still studying at your table.

You jolt up when you feel hands massaging your shoulders. You didn't hear the door open because your music is playing. You whip your head around to take a look of the intruder.

"Baek?" You murmur with your eyebrows furrowed.

He smiles gently and cutely while his hands are still at work. He nods, "Don't work too hard, cupcake." He eyes the used tissues on your table and he clucks his tongue, "You're sick and you're not resting."

He uses one hand to massage the back of your neck as he leans forward from behind you to take your pencil from your hand. You start to protest but he ignores it effectively.

"What are you doing here?" You question, watching him pack your table and your bag for tomorrow's paper.

"To cheer my favourite girl on, of course," he grins adorably. He pulls you up from your chair and guides you to the bed. "Okay, now sleep."

"But it's not even 9:30PM!" You argue when he lays you on the bed.

"Haven't you heard of the saying, 'The early bird catches the worm'?"

"I think you're using the wrong phrase."

"Really? Whatever," he waves a dismissive hand. "Anyway, the point is... Sleeping early will give you a lot of energy."

"Did you come here just to shepherd me to sleep?" You narrow your eyes at him.

"No, I'm going to watch you sleep," when he sees your shocked expression, he chuckles. "I'm just kidding. I wanna wish you all the best and to tell you that Oppa believes in you."

Baekhyun covers you with your quilt and sits on your bed next to your arm. The both of you are just staring at each other without meaning to. But it isn't awkward.

"You're staying here until I fall asleep?" You raise an eyebrow.

He grins devilishly, "Yeah."

"Then help me with some phrases I can use for my essay paper tomorrow," you shift on your bed so that Baekhyun will have space. You ask him, "Are you cold?" He thinks about it and probably realises that he will eventually feel cold since it's autumn. The boy nods. You lift your quilt, "Sit in here." You see his shocked expression and you roll your eyes, "Okay, sit out in the cold, then."

Baekhyun makes a face but takes up the offer. He gets under the blanket, sitting up with his back against the headboard and his legs straight out before him.

Since your bed is queen-sized, it is enough for you and Baekhyun. You have a lot of pillows on the bed too, so the boy's back is cushioned by one. You hug your bolster and flip to the side, facing Baekhyun. He looks down at you.

"'Kay, start!" You command.

He describes some situations while you choose suitable phrases for them. Every time you get one wrong, he flicks your forehead or kicks your leg.

You are a lot more comfortable with him now then before. Even though he isn't in your school anymore, he has gotten as close to you as Jongin and Sehun have. And in the past few months that you've known the boys, you realise that they are all very touchy people. And since you cannot change the five of them, you just have to get used to their skinship. And as surprising as it sounds, you are better at tolerating their touches now.

"Let's stop here, okay?" Baekhyun asks quietly when he sees you yawn. You shake your head, but he nags, "No, kitten, you need to have a good rest before your paper tomorrow."

You sigh in defeat and he pats your head in satisfaction. You close your eyes and he hums a song in order to make you fall asleep quicker.

"Go get 'em, sport," he murmurs as he wraps the blanket around you after getting out of the bed. 

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

The next morning, you see that you have received texts while you were asleep.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!! See you at the finishing line, cupcake. ;)
Sehun || 11:56PM

hey, good luck for ur exams tomorrow, okay? as long as u do ur best, u don't have to worry. ^^ I believe in u~
Jongdae || 12:44 AM

GRADUATE OR DIE
Jongin || 12:50 AM

Good luck, Korean!!! We know you can do it! Do well and come to oppas' university! ㅋㅋㅋ Love you and see you soon!
-Tao & Luhan
Tao || 1:04 AM

you won't need my blessings because I know you're gonna kill it. oppa believes in ya!
Chanyeol || 2:00 AM

You shake your head at them all but you don't fight the smile forming on your lips. You leave your phone and bustle about the room, getting ready for the big day. Your maids made you a huge, nutritional breakfast and you thank them for being so thoughtful. Your brother hugs you good luck and so does your mother. You stride into school and see the two boys bending over their notes while waiting for you.

"Yah, who asked you to sleep late last night?!" You pinch Jongin's arm.

He jumps and rubs his arm. He pouts slightly, "I was studying!"

"Sleep before 12AM," you narrow your eyes at him threateningly. "You need your sleep. Look at your dark eye circles."

He groans at your nagging and Sehun laughs, pulling you away by the wrist. The three of you walk towards the hall, where the papers will be held at.