06

Unravelled

You're watching your brother play a game on his phone while Minseok and Baekhyun are having a civilised conversation. You know they are not going to include you in the conversation so you effectively tune out of it. You guys are in a restaurant, having just ordered your food. Your brother is next to Baekhyun while you and Minseok are opposite them.

You realise that Minseok is using the nickname he used on you more frequently now. He doesn't call you by your name but rather his pet name he gave you before. You know that it is just to annoy Baekhyun though. But the boy seems oblivious to it.

You turn to Baekhyun when you realise that the two are not speaking anymore, "Hey Baekhyun oppa." He turns to you, looking a little timid. It seems as though he is still wary about the fact that you are calling him 'oppa'. "Are you staying the night here?"

He shrugs, "I haven't thought about it."

"So you came here without a plan?" You narrow your eyes at him.

"I came here just to look for you!" He confesses.

You don't blush a lot but this time, you feel your face heating up. You feel Minseok giving you a look but you ignore his gaze.

"How did you come here?" You mumble.

"Train," he replies.

"We're leaving tomorrow... You can come with if you're okay with it," you offer.

"Baek hyung can sleep with us too!" Your brother chirps.

At once, Minseok disagrees. "That would be inappropriate! No."

"I can sleep with noona," your younger brother looks at you. "And hyung can have my bed!"

The table is quiet as the three males stare at you, waiting for your verdict. You don't really feel comfortable with the idea but you don't want Baekhyun to suffer in the cold. Nor do you want him to pay for the expensive hotel fee. Besides, your brother is going to judge you for not helping his hyung.

You shrug, keeping your eyes on your brother. Immediately, he beams at you before leaning forward to give Baekhyun a thumb up.

Minseok is scowling, "Princess, it's dangerous."

"Stop it," you almost growl.

"Stop what?" He sounds and looks innocent.

"Stop calling me 'Princess'."

It doesn't make sense when you've broken up for more than a year now. Besides, he was the one who hurt you by cheating on your friend. Why is he trying to act like he's trying to make everything right when nothing could be done anymore?

"I always call you princess though," Minseok's face registers hurt.

You sigh, looking away. "That was before, Minseok-ssi."

Both Baekhyun and him seem shocked. Probably because you addressed Minseok formally instead of giving him the same status as Baekhyun.

The food arrives and you dig in. The table is quiet. Your brother is old enough to understand what is going on and he feels just as awkward as you do. Just in time to save you from the awkward situation, you receive a phone call. The three boys have their eyes on you as you check the caller ID.

"Hello?" You greet.

"Where are you?" You hear Tao whining.

Rolling your eyes, you chastise, "You're a guy, quit whining!"

Tao bristles and you smirk while playing with your food. The others are still watching your movement.

"I'm in Gwangju, why?" You finally answer.

"Aw man!" He curses, making you chuckle at his childishness. "Just when Lu-ge and I have the time to visit you, you go off on a vacation." 

You shrug, then realise that he cannot see it. "Sorry. I didn't know either... I was only informed about it after I came home from school yesterday."

"You're an idiot," you hear Tao mumble.

"You still love me though," you tease.

"True."

"I'll talk to you soon, I'm having lunch."

"With?"

"Bye!" With that, you hung up on the older male.

You start eating again but the others are still kind of staring at you. Your brother breaks out of his daze quickly though. He asks you who called and you tell him.

"Awww, I miss Tao hyung!" Your brother whines.

You roll your eyes, "Really, guys around me need to stop whining."

Baekhyun laughs and you shoot him a small smile. Minseok scowls at that interaction. You almost feel good seeing the male being jealous over small things you say and do that are not directed to him.

Throughout the day, you feel Minseok trying to keep you close. You don't know what had gotten into him. He knows that you hate clingy people. He knows how you need your own personal space. But he still latches onto you. It is safe to say that he is worst than Chanyeol.

When it is time to have dinner, all of you make your way to a bar restaurant that your father had picked. Baekhyun did not want to intrude but your brother insisted. He even told Baekhyun that he could sit on your brother's seat while your brother sits on the floor if there isn't enough space. Minseok seems overall unhappy because even while he was your boyfriend, your brother did not treat him with this much admiration and respect.

When the lot of you arrive, Baekhyun starts greeting the four adults respectfully. You give a short introduction and Baekhyun does the rest by shaking hands and telling them how nice it is to meet them. Your mother looks happy to see him again and glances at you to give you a knowing smile.

"What are you doing here, Baekhyun?" Your mother asks once you are all seated.

You sit next to Baekhyun, your brother and Minseok on the other side. Your mother is next to you.

"Oh, hmm..." The boy doesn't know how to reply her without sounding weird.

Your mother senses something and she commands, "Honestly."

"Um, I came to look for your daughter," he rubs the back of his neck shyly.

"Just that?"

You interrupt, "Mum, please explain to him why it's bad to have him stalking me all the way from Seoul to here."

The other three adults stop their conversation when your mother starts squealing like a girl she isn't. You cringe; she's too old to be seen acting like this. Even your brother looks as embarrassed as you do.

"That's so sweet!" She cheers.

Baekhyun glances at you and you give him a pained smile. Seeing that your mother is over reacting over nothing, the adults go back to their previous topic.

"When are you going back?" She enquires now that she is normal again.

"I– I'm not sure, Mdm," Baekhyun seems uncomfortable.

"Stay with us! We'll be leaving tomorrow!" Your mother has always been a really nice person who would probably give her car keys to a homeless person. "You can ride the plane with us back to Seoul!" Looks like neither your brother nor you needs to persuade your mother to let Baekhyun stay. "You can share the bed with my daughter even!"

"Mum!"

"I'm kidding, if you touch a strand of hair on her, I'll hurt you." Your mother not-so-seriously threatens. "Take my boy's bed and he'll sleep with his sister."

You sigh, your mother is pretty crazy but that's why you love her. She's so open, unlike other mothers. Minseok looks like he is trying to calm his heart while Baekhyun looks stunned. Your mother prods Baekhyun when she realises that he hasn't replied her.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Okay," he nods. "Thank you so much, Mdm."

You realise that Minseok doesn't say much during dinner. Not that you want him to talk. It is nice to hear Minseok's silence; you don't really want to hear him flirting with you. It makes you cringe inside and out.

After dinner, Your family and Baekhyun greet the Kims goodbye since you wouldn't be meeting them anymore. You can tell that Minseok expected a hug from you but you simply gave him a handshake.

 Not after what he did to you, not after everything. You're just not as comfortable with him anymore.

Five of you pile into the car and the driver brings you to the hotel. Baekhyun was at least prepared since he actually brought a spare change of clothes in his bagpack. Your brother moves everything on his bed to yours for the guest and you scold him for being so messy. In the mean time, Baekhyun has gone to the bathroom to shower.

While your brother is trying to satiate your anger by clearing his things, your phone rings for the second time today. You frown but pick up the phone. It's Sehun. You contemplate not answering it but you realise that they have been calling everyday since that day when they came over to your house to study. To stop them from pestering you, you accept the call.

"Hey!!!!!" The boy sounds extremely overjoyed. "Where are you? How have you been? Are you okay? I haven't seen you and I—"

"Hey, hey, hey," you sigh, sitting on the bed. Baekhyun has came out of the toilet so now you push your brother to shower. "Are you okay?"

"No," he replies shortly. "I've been going crazy over you."

You blow a raspberry, making sure he hears it. He chuckles but you scold him, "Yah! I saw what you did to Baekhyun oppa. Since when were you into fights, huh?!"

Hearing his name, the said boy turns to you in question. You look up to see him in a pair of basketball shorts and a purple cotton top. His hair is wet and water droplets are dripping down his shirt.

"'Oppa'?" Sehun repeats. "Since when?... ARE YOU WITH HIM NOW?!"

"Yeah, he's with me," you confirm.

Baekhyun sits next to you in the bed lightly, careful not to startle you. He holds his palm out facing the ceiling and you immediately know that he wants your phone. You purse your lips but give it to him anyway.

"Oh, Sehun-ah..." He visibly cringes as you hear shouts and screams from the other end. "Calm down, I'm not going to land a finger on her. We're going to be back in Seoul tomorrow afternoon..." You stand and start grabbing your clothes to change into after showering while Baekhyun continues conversing with Sehun on the phone. "Do I look like that kind of person to you? I came here just to apologise...Yes, just to apologise."

Your brother comes out and you narrow your eyes at him, "Did you even shower?" To prove that he did, your brother starts shaking his hair, causing all the water droplet to fall onto your face. "With shampoo? Not just water?"

Your brother rolls his eyes, stepping up to you. He lifts his armpits and looks at you seriously, "Give it a sniff."

"No thanks," you push him aside and enter the bathroom.

Spending nearly 20 minutes in the bathroom, you finally leave. Baekhyun is back on his bed. Your brother is with him. Baekhyun is holding onto your iPad while your brother is holding onto his. Your younger brother might have an addiction to games...

 

△▽△▽△▽△

 

Your mother makes sure everything is ready when you leave the hotel. Baekhyun looks shocked to see that your family owns a private jet. Well, it isn't quite true. Your father owns the jet, not your family. There is a difference.

"Chanyeol and Jongdae want to see you," Baekhyun says suddenly when the plane is in the sky already.

"Now?" Your eyes round in surprise.

"No, not now, Sherlock. We're in the sky for goodness sake." He rolls his eyes bravely. "They invited you to hang out at Chanyeol's place when we're back. You in?" 

You hum. You don't feel good going to Chanyeol's house since you don't really know him.

As if sensing this, Baekhyun proposes, "We can hang out in my place? Or if you're more comfortable with Sehun's or Jongin's, then we'll go there." You are about to give him an answer but he beats you to it. "Actually, mine would be better since no one is home for the time being..." Since he has already chosen, you bob your shoulders up and down. "It's settled then!" He beams.

When you have touched down, Baekhyun immediately goes up to your parents and thanks them for the hospitability. Right after, he asks your mother for permission to bring you out. She steadfastly agrees and before you can comprehend anything, Baekhyun has his hand around your wrist as he brings you out of the airport. 

He gets a cab and the both of you speed to his house. The boy had already informed the others of the change in venue and they are already there. He had only called them 15 minutes ago though...

"Baek, where's the girl?" You hear Jongdae question.

Baekhyun made you stay behind so that you are away from the violence if Sehun and Jongin decide to give him a piece of their minds. His hunch was right as you hear and watch them punch Baekhyun in the manliest way possible. You couldn't take seeing Baekhyun getting hurt, so you step out and make your way towards them.

Chanyeol is the first to see you—as always—and he catapults towards you. You stumble from the impact, your breath completely knocked out of you. The giant has lifted you slightly above the ground, hugging you tightly.

"Chanyeol-ssi," you cough. "Jongdae-ssi, please...help."

At once, Jongdae rushes in to pull Chanyeol away from you. You groan when you see that your clothes are wrinkled. You're not given enough time when you feel yourself being embraced again. Immediately, you know that it is Sehun and Jongin.

Sehun has his hand at the back of your head, holding you close to his chest. Jongin is on your other side, holding you close by the waist. You smile briefly, patting them once on the back before pushing them away roughly.

"I missed you!" Squealed Chanyeol as he attempts to hug you again.

You chuckle, letting him embrace you in a more refined manner. He squeezes you once and lets go, his face brandishing a wide smile.

"I don't wanna be standing here all day," Baekhyun grumbles as he holds the door open for his friends. "Get in, please."

Chanyeol keeps his hand on the small of your back, guiding you into Baekhyun's apartment. His home looks modern and clean, as if a single speck of dust could not be tolerated. He isn't very wealthy but he isn't poor either. You don't scrutinise his place any longer lest you start judging him.

"What are we— What am I doing here?" You cross your arm, stopping in front of the boys who are already on the couch. 

"To hang out," Jongin shrugs. 

"That's a waste of my time," you obnoxiously comment and turn to leave.

But someone grabs onto your elbow and pulls you back slightly. Your back is touching his chest. You remain still at the closeness.

"Stay, please?" Baekhyun's voice is husky and low this time.

"Yah, hyung!" Jonging screams at him. "Get away from her!"

Baekhyun takes a step back slightly and you feel like you can breathe again. You turn your head to look at him, only to see him with a serious expression on his face.

You sigh tiredly and he beams, letting go of you. You're starting to ponder how Baekhyun seems to know what you're thinking even though you don't say anything. It's as if he can tell from your actions and your gaze.

"Tell us what hyung did to you, huh?" Jongin pulls you down to sit next to him as he cuddles next to you.

What's going on with him? He knows that you don't like touchy people. And yet he is making you uncomfortable. What's up with these people?

"Tell me what you did to him," you turn to him and stab a finger at his chest.

He has the humanity in him to at least look sheepish. You scoff and try to push him away but he clings onto you tightly. You look at Jongdae for help again.

"Hey, you only look for me for help," Jongdae realises when he had slapped Jongin's hands away from you.

You give an abashed smile, "You're the best though."

"I know, right?" He grins, nudging you lightly.

Chanyeol and Sehun have called for pizza and apparently it will arrive in 15 minutes. Baekhyun fills the rest in with whatever happened in Gwangju. They are curious about Minseok and all of them are prodding you with questions. Even Baekhyun.

"Did he abuse you?" Was Chanyeol's crazy assumption.

You shake your head, "He's just my ex-boyfriend."

"He's so short though!" Baekhyun bursts out and you glare at him. He gives an awkward laughter, mumbling an apology.

"What happened?" Jongdae questions softly. You're not sure if you should tell them. It's not like it's important anyway. They're not even close enough. As if sensing this, Jongdae steps back, "It's okay if you don't wanna tell us though."

"But it would be nice if we knew!" Sehun pipes up, earning glares from the other boys.

You sigh, Sehun reminds you so much of your younger brother that you want to do everything you can just for him.

"He cheated on me," you confess suddenly.

"What?!" Chanyeol.

"With who?!" Jongin.

"That bastard," Baekhyun.

"With my friend," you nod. 

"That !" Sehun stands up in anger, only to have Jongdae pulling him back down. 

You shake your head, "It's okay, I'm over him."

"Oh yeah," Baekhyun testifies. "She called him 'Minseok-ssi' and gave him a handshake when he opened his arms for a hug. You should've seen his face! It was priceless." He starts cackling.

You grin at how happy Baekhyun looks. And he is happy for you. You feel your heart swelling in adoration at the laughing boy and you mentally slap yourself. You pull on a stoic face before anyone points it out.

Cautiously, you glance at the others to see if they had caught you. Sehun and Jongin are beaming, basically just looking extremely proud of you. Chanyeol and Jongdae, on the other hand, are giving you a weird look like they have you all figured out.

You look away and stands up when the doorbell rings. The pizza must be here. Making your way to the door, you open it slightly. When you are greeted with a smiling pizza delivery man, you open the door wider. You feel a presence behind you. Turning your head, you see that Chanyeol is there.

While the male takes the food from the man, he whispers into your ear, "Baekhyun is irresistable, isn't he?"

You freeze, glaring at him. "What are you driving at?"

"You like him, don't you?" His playful grin almost makes you want to poke his eyes.

When you see that Chanyeol's hands are full, you take the rest of the food. These boys had ordered too much. You extract the money in his grip since his hands are too full. You pay the man and he goes off after giving you the change.

"I can see it," Chanyeol continues, nudging you as the both of you walk back into the house.

"But," you turn to him, watching him for a moment as he waits for you to continue. He still has the knowing grin on his face. "You don't know me, Chanyeol-ssi."

Turning away, you don't catch the way his face falls just like his heart has.